PDA

View Full Version : Very good future for our club

cbowen2112
07-11-2010, 12:52 AM
I know it has been discussed at length by some, but the Reds 2011 starting rotation might be the best in the NL once they gel together.

If they decide to hang on to Arroyo (which I hope they do) and do not pick up Harang's option (I also am in favor of this) it could look like this:

1- Volquez
2- Cueto
3- Arroyo
4- Wood
5- Leake

That is a very, very good starting 5. I am leaving off Chapman and Bailey.
I am not even sure where those guys will fit in this year, let alone next year.
Perhaps a trade of Bailey, if he returns to form? I wouldn't mind seeing what he has in the pen with Chapman.

Get excited Reds fans, we are about to witness greatness for years to come.

Orodle
07-11-2010, 01:14 AM
Move Bailey to the pen? Have him come in for an inning or two and throw hard. I mean hes shown the ability to hit as high as 98mph but he rarely hits that when trying to pace himself as a starter.

cbowen2112
07-11-2010, 01:15 AM
Move Bailey to the pen? Have him come in for an inning or two and throw hard. I mean hes show the ability to hit as high as 98mph but he rarely hits that when trying to pace himself as a starter.

That is one thing I was thinking, he has a great splitter that many relievers use. Maybe that is his calling?

Orodle
07-11-2010, 01:23 AM
ya i was thinking about that splitter as well. Throw heat and the splitter and cut the average level stuff from his arsenal.

cbowen2112
07-11-2010, 01:26 AM
ya i was thinking about that splitter as well. Throw heat and the splitter and cut the average level stuff from his arsenal.

Yeah his curve can be good, but would not need it if he can have 2 plus pitches.

abish1572
07-11-2010, 02:35 AM
I think they'll move chapman to the closer if he succeeds in the bullpen... there won't be any room for him in the rotation, and thats 30 million we should have in the majors not in the minors

Roush's socks
07-11-2010, 02:40 AM
The Reds need to hold on to more than 5 SP's out of this list. You can't ever have too much SP since injuries will always take their toll. Look at tomorrow's game where Maloney will be pitching. There are theoretically 7-8 guys in front of him right now, but he is getting his 2nd start.

NeilHamburger
07-11-2010, 03:00 AM
My guess for next year is one of two:

1. Volquez
2. Cueto
3. Arroyo
4. Leake
5. Wood/Chapman--with one being guy 6 in Louisville, ready in case of injury or perform.

In this scenerio Bailey is either in the pen or traded

The other possibility is the all youth rotation:

1. Volquez
2. Cueto
3. Leake
4. Wood
5. Bailey/Chapman--same 6 guy scenario as above

To me, everything is dependent on Volquez and Wood. If Volquez comes back and looks like the same pitcher he was in 08, and if Wood continues to impress then I think you almost have to take a chance and roll with the young rotation. You'd save so much cash, and could spend those resources on a hitter or bullpen arms, and really give yourself a chance to go all the way in 2011.

Now, if Volquez doesn't look so hot or if Wood begins to falter then you have to really think about keeping Arroyo. And it's incredibly tough for me to not resign Arroyo as I love the stability he brings, and I just love watching him pitch. And if he stayed in the NL I just know he's the kind of pitcher who will kill the reds. But, if Volquez and Wood both perform well the rest of the year I really can't see how you can justify keeping him.

Kingspoint
07-11-2010, 05:44 PM
The future is bright for the REDS.

As is the present.

Alonso bats in 30 minutes on ESPN2 in the Minor League Futures' Game.

13 in hall
07-11-2010, 06:01 PM
I will say this now if we keep Alonso next season he will be the left fielder. Watch him in the second half guys he is starting to hit the way all thought he would. I know all will say defense and all but we have been living with Gomes all season.

RedsFanInBama
07-11-2010, 06:58 PM
I hope Alonso does start raking. Our outfield is not a group that has me terribly excited at the moment.

I'm still trying to figure out why Drew Stubbs is our everyday center fielder and not Chris Heisey. The only conclusion I come to when I analyze the numbers is the fact that Stubbs was a first rounder and Heisey was a 17th rounder.

In similar sample sizes in the minor leagues, Heisey has outperformed him in almost every offensive category (and sometimes by a significant margin). The only thing Stubbs does that is exciting is run fast. Maybe I'm undervaluing speed.

13 in hall
07-11-2010, 07:21 PM
Yeah but I think that if they sat Stubbs that they would play GMJ. What to do.

Vottomatic
07-11-2010, 07:33 PM
What's wrong with having former starters in the bullpen? If a starter gets hurt, you have Bailey and Owings in the bullpen who can start when an injury comes up. Bailey might even surprise as a closer or setup man.

RedsFanInBama
07-11-2010, 07:37 PM
At this point, I'd love to let Homer throw in the bullpen. He might could be a heck of a reliever.

The thing that makes me nervous is this staff (meaning coaching staff/front office) staying down the road of letting Cordero close because of his contract. Nobody is going to take that off our hands, so that means we're stuck with him closing games (or trying to) for another full season after this one.

GIDP
07-11-2010, 07:57 PM
Reds ERA on the road trip prior to todays 1-0 loss was 2.71. Reds had 9 starts from guys 25 or younger. Thats such a huge thing.

22 year olds
Wood 3
Leake 2

24 year old
Cueto 2

25 year old
Maloney 2

Vottomatic
07-11-2010, 10:34 PM
I just wish I could see more of Heisey and Janish playing. Seriously.

Girevik
07-12-2010, 02:39 PM
I think Champan is in the rotation next year. One of the youngsters will have to be left out, unless Walt can maybe manage to pick up Arroyo's option then trade him in the off season.

brm7675
07-12-2010, 03:02 PM
What's wrong with having former starters in the bullpen? If a starter gets hurt, you have Bailey and Owings in the bullpen who can start when an injury comes up. Bailey might even surprise as a closer or setup man.

Depends on the player, and i don't see Homer accepting a position in the bullpen, i think he will balk at that idea.

brm7675
07-12-2010, 03:02 PM
I just wish I could see more of Heisey and Janish playing. Seriously.

From your typing to Dusty's ears....:)

FlyerFanatic
07-12-2010, 03:04 PM
Depends on the player, and i don't see Homer accepting a position in the bullpen, i think he will balk at that idea.

than homer is a joke, and we should trade him. if he pouts about the move, trade him.

brm7675
07-12-2010, 03:12 PM
than homer is a joke, and we should trade him. if he pouts about the move, trade him.

Nice idea and i don't have any issue with moving him, but I just don't see him accepting a demotion to the pen, which no matter how you put it, it is a demotion for a SP to go to the pen and Homer has had a history of pouting and not being a team player.

FlyerFanatic
07-12-2010, 05:42 PM
Nice idea and i don't have any issue with moving him, but I just don't see him accepting a demotion to the pen, which no matter how you put it, it is a demotion for a SP to go to the pen and Homer has had a history of pouting and not being a team player.

yea, and if he still is, trade him. if he doesnt want to be a team player, and understand moving him to the pen helps the team, move him

brm7675
07-12-2010, 05:48 PM
yea, and if he still is, trade him. if he doesnt want to be a team player, and understand moving him to the pen helps the team, move him

He will be a very tough move right now, with the "mystery" shoulder issue, i really doubt any team will take him on and give up anything of real value. His value was at the end of last season and had we known then what we know now I bet Walt moves him, but right now I bet he goes to the 60 day DL and is done for this season.

FlyerFanatic
07-12-2010, 06:07 PM
He will be a very tough move right now, with the "mystery" shoulder issue, i really doubt any team will take him on and give up anything of real value. His value was at the end of last season and had we known then what we know now I bet Walt moves him, but right now I bet he goes to the 60 day DL and is done for this season.

well right...i dont expect a move to the pen this year, i was more thinking along the lines in the future. when wood is ready, chapman is ready etc. then you gotta figure out if bailey should be moved to the pen, or traded. like i said, if he pouts about a move to the pen, if that what the reds wanna do, than you get rid of him. no reason for him to be pouting. i'll give him a pass for his past issues, and say it was youth, but from this point forward he shouldnt be pouting.

brm7675
07-12-2010, 06:14 PM
well right...i dont expect a move to the pen this year, i was more thinking along the lines in the future. when wood is ready, chapman is ready etc. then you gotta figure out if bailey should be moved to the pen, or traded. like i said, if he pouts about a move to the pen, if that what the reds wanna do, than you get rid of him. no reason for him to be pouting. i'll give him a pass for his past issues, and say it was youth, but from this point forward he shouldnt be pouting.

SP don't EVER want to go to the bullpen. It's a demotion in responsibility and a HUGE demotion in pay unless you are a superior closer and even then. I don't see him ever going to the Pen with the Reds, I see them dealing him in the offseason for some A/AA prospects.

FlyerFanatic
07-12-2010, 10:13 PM
SP don't EVER want to go to the bullpen. It's a demotion in responsibility and a HUGE demotion in pay unless you are a superior closer and even then. I don't see him ever going to the Pen with the Reds, I see them dealing him in the offseason for some A/AA prospects.

all i'm saying, if hes matured enough, and the front office asked him would you be willing to move to the pen, and he says no and pouts, well...cya. who knows maybe bailey goes, you know what, sure. whatever helps the team. again, this is assuming wood comes along and we have SP to fill in the rotation

Orodle
07-12-2010, 10:33 PM
Homer is hardly in position to decide what he will be doing. If hes that much drama then he doesnt have what it takes so who cares about how he takes it.

goreds2
07-12-2010, 10:41 PM
2006 was alright but I have not had this much fun the first half of the season since 1999. I love our future.

couch_manager
07-13-2010, 12:29 AM
all i'm saying, if hes matured enough, and the front office asked him would you be willing to move to the pen, and he says no and pouts, well...cya. who knows maybe bailey goes, you know what, sure. whatever helps the team. again, this is assuming wood comes along and we have SP to fill in the rotation

I think Bailey is the odd man out by next year and is likely to be traded if there is a deal in the works. Sure he's young, but I've heard enough about his hardheadedness and seen that he just doesn't have that great of stuff to put batters away when he's got two strikes on them. Maybe he needs a fresh start somewhere else.