PDA

View Full Version : I just did the math, Ocab v. Janish OPS stats

GIDP
07-11-2010, 01:06 AM
I did some math, not counting tonight Janish would have to go 0 for his next 22 to have an OPS lower than Cabrera.

It means nothing but if things stayed the same I just want to point out how bad Janish would have to hit to make the OPS comparable.

If Janish went 0-22 his OPS would drop to .603. Going into tonight CAbreras was .609.

Janish OBP would be .284 compared to Cabreras of .282
Janish Slugging would be .319 compared to Cabreras .327

Crazy to think that Janish would have to be that bad to get to Cabreras level. Like I said though it really doesnt mean much other than just to point out something I was wondering about.

Orodle
07-11-2010, 01:10 AM
Janish definitely needs more playing time. No excuse in not resting a vet thats in a slump. But I lost all faith in Dusty thinking logical after the Corey Patterson and Willie Taveres junk.

GIDP
07-11-2010, 02:25 AM
Janish definitely needs more playing time. No excuse in not resting a vet thats in a slump. But I lost all faith in Dusty thinking logical after the Corey Patterson and Willie Taveres junk.

Yea, I dont mind Cabrera getting plenty of playing time, but he hasnt been right for 40 some games. At what point do you think he maybe had a hot streak and this is the real Ocab.

Gotta give the guy more time off. Hes falling on his face.

Roush's socks
07-11-2010, 02:36 AM
Cabrera has been pretty consistent the last few years with OPS of .705 in 2009 and 2008, and .742 in 2007. And GABF is a hitter's park. So it is reasonable to think that once healthy he will be a .700-.725 OPS hitter, which is not that bad for a major league SS.

sabometrics
07-11-2010, 03:26 AM
Neither is good enough to get full-time PT, but Janish needs to get more PT to rest O-Cab after the break. Maybe not as much playing time as say Hanigan was getting in the Hernanigan situation before the injury, but definitely more than what he has been getting right now.

BigPoppa
07-11-2010, 01:23 PM
Janish should start at least 3 times a week. 2 at SS, 1 at 3B.

Griffey012
07-11-2010, 01:41 PM

I agree with the 2 at SS, but right now you have to keep letting Cairo spell Rolen at 3rd the way he has been hitting.

How about the next 2 or 3 weeks after the all-star break we give OCab and Janish equal playing time to ensure he is healthy and ready for the stretch run.

BigPoppa
07-11-2010, 01:52 PM
I agree with the 2 at SS, but right now you have to keep letting Cairo spell Rolen at 3rd the way he has been hitting.

I'll give you that. :thumbup: Cairo has been getting it done for us.

lidspinner
07-11-2010, 04:00 PM

maybe Dusty is trying to trade OCab....thats why they keep running him out there every night!!!!!!!!! :D

ukwazoo
07-11-2010, 04:45 PM
I just noticed - Cabrera has 10 steals, apparently. I do not remember any of them. :p:

Kingspoint
07-11-2010, 04:57 PM

Couldn't be more correct.

Ohioballplayer
07-13-2010, 12:56 PM

Make that 2 at ss, and 1 at 2B and I am in:thumbup:
Cairo is a decent fill at 3rd for one out of every 6.

brm7675
07-13-2010, 01:03 PM
maybe Dusty is trying to trade OCab....thats why they keep running him out there every night!!!!!!!!! :D

Don't we all wish. Dusty has never liked Janish and I am willing to bet wouldn't play him at SS if Ocab was batting .100. Dusty loves him "vets" and feel they bring more to the table then a role player like Janish does. This is a major reason why Dusty must go.:thumbdown

bgwilly31
07-13-2010, 01:23 PM
Make that 2 at ss, and 1 at 2B and I am in:thumbup:
Cairo is a decent fill at 3rd for one out of every 6.

Why would want BP out once a week. over .300avg isnt good enough.

I was on the ocab over janish train earlier in the season but it came to the point awhile back that janish obviously should have been splitting start with ocab. You split starts with them and whoever is hitting better gets more playing time. Plain and simple.

Orodle
07-13-2010, 04:38 PM

hahaha good one

zjr1717
07-14-2010, 02:00 AM
Janish's history as a hitter suggest that an 0-22 skid from him would not be to hard to fathom. Better hitters have such slumps all the time.

Janish is a better defender but he's most likely an even worse hitter than Cabrera playing everyday. I'd rather Janish start, I think his defense makes him quite valuable, but Cabrera's gonna start unless he just becomes unbearably awful or get injured. I think its time to accept that.

bshall2105
07-14-2010, 02:11 AM
Janish's history as a hitter suggest that an 0-22 skid from him would not be to hard to fathom. Better hitters have such slumps all the time.

Janish is a better defender but he's most likely an even worse hitter than Cabrera playing everyday. I'd rather Janish start, I think his defense makes him quite valuable, but Cabrera's gonna start unless he just becomes unbearably awful or get injured. I think its time to accept that.

Since Cabrera has been unbearably awful, and injured, already this year he's never coming out of the lineup.

zjr1717
07-14-2010, 02:26 AM
Since Cabrera has been unbearably awful, and injured, already this year he's never coming out of the lineup.

Well he's not on the DL, so he's obviously not injured so badly he can't play.

Also, while hes been bad overall, his UZR of 1.8 suggests he's been above average in the field. He started out badly, but he has been a decent fielder as of late.

Overall his WAR of .2 suggests he's been just barely above replacement level. Below replacement level is what i would term unbearably awful. Paul Janish's even worse hitting would most likely make them a wash. I wouldn't exactly put a lot of faith in his 64 PAs this season as being reliably indicative of his future performance. Thats a woefully small sample size.

The larger sample size of Janish's career in both the majors and minors suggests he's an even worse hitter than Cabrera is now.

Kingspoint
07-14-2010, 04:05 PM
Well he's not on the DL, so he's obviously not injured so badly he can't play.

I wish he was on the DL.