PDA

View Full Version : Why is Rolen Such a Difference Maker?

mdccclxix
07-11-2010, 02:12 PM
The Reds are 2 and 12 when he doesn't appear in games this year.

That means they are 47-28 when he plays.

:confused:

I know he's an all star, but I can't say for sure, definitively, what it means to have him in the lineup. Cairo has been serviceable in his stead.

He was not in the game for the debacle in Atlanta, and was not there for the two most recent heart-breakers in Philadelphia, either. It is this most recent stretch that underlines the point for me.

I feel we win last night with Rolen, for example.

What are your thoughts?

TheNext44
07-11-2010, 02:21 PM
Easy answer to the title question:

Gym shorts.

nate
07-11-2010, 02:24 PM
Easy answer to the title question:

Gym shorts.

This.

Oh, and he's having a good year with the bat is more surehanded than something really surehanded at third.

RedsManRick
07-11-2010, 02:31 PM
The downgrade from Rolen to anybody else on the roster is pretty significant. However, keep in mind that it's likely other things tend to happen when he sits such that it's not apples to apples. He probably tends to sit on days when other starters are also sitting and/or against tougher pitchers.

And, of course, small sample size.

Rojo
07-11-2010, 02:42 PM
I'm leary of intangibles and culture but not dimissive. Jocketty's dumping of Jr., Dunn and EdE while adding OCab and Rolen looks better in the W/L columns than it did on paper.

Mario-Rijo
07-11-2010, 03:44 PM
What's Votto hitting in games Rolen doesn't play? Taking one star out may very well effect everyone indirectly and especially Votto more directly.

mth123
07-11-2010, 03:47 PM
What's Votto hitting in games Rolen doesn't play? Taking one star out may very well effect everyone indirectly and especially Votto more directly.

Interesting question. I'm a big believer that an effective 3, 4, 5 has a domino effect on the rest of the line-up. When Rolen is out, that isn't in place.