PDA

View Full Version : Masset's post-April Revival

Brutus
07-11-2010, 03:44 PM
In a subplot lost among the follies of Francisco Cordero, the sudden brick wall Arthur Rhodes hit the past week and the uninspiring plunder by the Reds right before the All-Star break has been the slow turnaround of Nick Masset.

While some look at his 5.50 ERA and puke, it should be noted that since the start of May, he's actually been pretty solid.

In fact, since his second appearance in May, here are the numbers (including today):

28 innings
26 K's (8.4 per nine)
12 walks (3.8 per nine)
2 homers allowed
2.89 ERA
0.96 WHIP

This has been lost in the shuffle because of the early problems in April. I think the combination of taking him out of higher-leverage situations, regression (and not being as unlucky) and overall sample has all contributed to the normalization.

Falls City Beer
07-11-2010, 04:01 PM
Good post. When it comes to the pen, keep the faith with the high K guys. They'll reward you eventually.

And it's ultimately why I'm not getting my panties all in a bunch over the bullpen. It's not great, but I think the answers are on the 40 man.

Big Klu
07-11-2010, 07:30 PM
Good post. When it comes to the pen, keep the faith with the high K guys. They'll reward you eventually.

And it's ultimately why I'm not getting my panties all in a bunch over the bullpen. It's not great, but I think the answers are on the 40 man.

Agreed. Relievers by their very nature tend to be a highly volatile bunch. That means they blow up for stretches, but they also can put everything together just as quickly, especially if they have "stuff". I also think that the answers are on the 40-man roster, though they might currently be starting somewhere in the organization. With that in mind, I don't want to trade anything of value for outside arms that are as volatile as relievers can be.

Ron Madden
07-11-2010, 07:34 PM
Agreed. Relievers by their very nature tend to be a highly volatile bunch. That means they blow up for stretches, but they also can put everything together just as quickly, especially if they have "stuff". I also think that the answers are on the 40-man roster, though they might currently be starting somewhere in the organization. With that in mind, I don't want to trade anything of value for outside arms that are as volatile as relievers can be.

Agree with everything said in this post.

VR
07-11-2010, 08:27 PM
Ondrusek has been even better....1 ER and 11 hits over his last 16 IP.

Not sure what the inherited runners look like.....but Masset/ Ondrusek/ Rhodes/ Bray are starting to shape up as the Reds BP horses for the stretch drive.

mth123
07-11-2010, 08:36 PM
Ondrusek has been even better....1 ER and 11 hits over his last 16 IP.

Not sure what the inherited runners look like.....but Masset/ Ondrusek/ Rhodes/ Bray are starting to shape up as the Reds BP horses for the stretch drive.

Yep. The middle isn't really the problem anymore. Its the closer. Bray for Herrera was a huge improvement.

Sea Ray
07-12-2010, 04:23 PM
Yep. The middle isn't really the problem anymore. Its the closer. Bray for Herrera was a huge improvement.

That's my thinking as well. The answers to our bullpen woes may be on the 40 man however I'm not so sure the answer to our closer is ...

Hoosier Red
07-12-2010, 04:30 PM

And the LH Setup man. I'd almost be in favor of calling Chapman up and putting Arthur on the 15 day DL just to get him some rest.

VR
07-12-2010, 06:53 PM
And the LH Setup man. I'd almost be in favor of calling Chapman up and putting Arthur on the 15 day DL just to get him some rest.

Bill Bray has looked mighty good

PuffyPig
07-13-2010, 11:15 AM
No big surprise.

The K's were always there, and many said he was simply the victim of bad luck.

He has regressed to his mean as expected.

Hoosier Red
07-13-2010, 01:00 PM
Bill Bray has looked mighty good

Agreed. That's why I'd bring up Chapman, move Bray into top LH Setup, rest Arthur and have everyone ready for the August/September run.