PDA

View Full Version : 0-4: How painful was this series?

krm1580
07-11-2010, 05:25 PM
Maybe its because I live in Philly and had to listen to their anouncers yipping about how the great the Phillies are, but to go 0-4 in a series where you could have easilly gone 4-0 and losing in the worst possible ways.

-3 Walkoff losses
-2 1-0 shutout losses
- 6 run 9th inning lead loss
- 8 perfect innings loss

Absolutely BRUTAL!

I subscribe to the fact that you are guaranteed to win 40, guaranteed to lose 40 and the other 62 are where the season is determined. I will chalk these up to the bad 40 and hopefully things turn back around.

Vottomatic
07-11-2010, 05:26 PM
Our offense sucks lately. What else can you say?

sabometrics
07-11-2010, 05:29 PM
The effort our SPs gave makes it easier to swallow. We're still in first. Our offense wasn't going to stay #1 in-the-league-good, but it certainly isn't this bad. I'm not ready to say we're going to botch this one with the schedule we have coming up.

GIDP
07-11-2010, 05:30 PM
It was painful but there are positives to see. Sure 4 game sweeps suck but they should have won 2 of them, and easily could have swept the Phillies. Being the home team in that series really helped.

Lots of positives. Hopefully the negatives, like Gomes and his all around terrible playing gets fixed. Same with Cabrera.

This offense is very bad when they face a pitcher they think is good. They swing like idiots way too often.

ukwazoo
07-11-2010, 05:31 PM
Maybe its because I live in Philly and had to listen to their anouncers yipping about how the great the Phillies are, but to go 0-4 in a series where you could have easilly gone 4-0 and losing in the worst possible ways.

-3 Walkoff losses
-2 1-0 shutout losses
- 6 run 9th inning lead loss
- 8 perfect innings loss

Absolutely BRUTAL!

I subscribe to the fact that you are guaranteed to win 40, guaranteed to lose 40 and the other 62 are where the season is determined. I will chalk these up to the bad 40 and hopefully things turn back around.

That only adds up to 142.

Maker_84
07-11-2010, 05:33 PM
worst series in a long time. the reds might as well be sellers

Vottomatic
07-11-2010, 05:35 PM

Of your 42 posts, I'd bet 41 of them make you look like a troll. No way you are a Reds fan.

ukwazoo
07-11-2010, 05:38 PM
With the way this team has been going offensively, Stubbs needs to be stealing every time he's on base. I realize he rarely gets on base (.311 OBP), which is all the more reason for him to actually make something happen when he gets on. He only attempted one steal all series. Today in the 5th, he gets on, doesn't steal, and Corky lines into a DP. Next batter, Maloney, gets a hit. Gotta make things happen. Can't just wait for the 3-run homer.

GIDP
07-11-2010, 05:39 PM
With the way this team has been going offensively, Stubbs needs to be stealing every time he's on base. I realize he rarely gets on base (.311 OBP), which is all the more reason for him to actually make something happen when he gets on. He only attempted one steal all series. Today in the 5th, he gets on, doesn't steal, and Corky lines into a DP. Next batter, Maloney, gets a hit. Gotta make things happen. Can't just wait for the 3-run homer.

Wasnt it the first pitch that Corky lined out on?

Griffey012
07-11-2010, 05:41 PM

Yes.

ukwazoo
07-11-2010, 05:41 PM

You can steal on any pitch, last I checked.

GIDP
07-11-2010, 05:47 PM
Yes.

Thought so.

GIDP
07-11-2010, 05:47 PM
You can steal on any pitch, last I checked.

Not if its the first pitch and put in play...

ukwazoo
07-11-2010, 05:49 PM
Not if its the first pitch and put in play...

Well, when you have the steal on, you can and should have the batter take.

GIDP
07-11-2010, 05:53 PM
Well, when you have the steal on, you can and should have the batter take.

I agree Stubbs should steal more. Reds either dont let him, love to hit and run, Stubbs doesnt want to steal, or Reds hitters are stupid.

All 4 are probably true.

ukwazoo
07-11-2010, 05:55 PM
I agree Stubbs should steal more. Reds either dont let him, love to hit and run, Stubbs doesnt want to steal, or Reds hitters are stupid.

All 4 are probably true.

Yeah, hitting and running with Stubbs on base, which I've seen them do, is utterly pointless.

Kingspoint
07-11-2010, 06:38 PM
Very painful.

Both the Cards and the REDS go into the All-Star break with their heads down.

It's going to be interesting to see which team comes out of the break with their heads held high and takes control of this division for good.

BigPoppa
07-11-2010, 06:48 PM

Why are you here ? seriously. you obviously don't care anything about this team. I'm sure you said the same thing when we were swept by the Mariners.

RiverRat13
07-11-2010, 08:27 PM
The Reds actually had six more hits than the Phillies over the course of this past series. And still get swept.

I actually chalk up losing all four games to just tough luck rather than any indication that the Reds are about to go into the gutter. Heck, if you would have told me beforehand that they would go 5-6 over the last roadtrip, I probably would have taken it.

GIDP
07-11-2010, 08:39 PM
Yea RiverRat. The thing that stings more than anything is that the Reds missed a few solid chances to be up at least 4 games before the break.

Vottomatic
07-11-2010, 08:42 PM
Why are you here ? seriously. you obviously don't care anything about this team. I'm sure you said the same thing when we were swept by the Mariners.

I just went and read most of his 40+ posts. 95% of them are negative toward the Reds.

I guarantee he's a fan of another team, most likely the Cards, trolling our website and trying to bring us down.

Kiko
07-11-2010, 08:45 PM
Like others, these past 4 games hurt. Reds easily could have won all 4 and played well for the most part. It's tough when the losses are so close. I have to keep in mind that the last 3 games the Reds started rookies and all three pitched very well.

GIDP
07-11-2010, 08:48 PM
All in all this might be the most positive 4 game sweep you could have happen to your team. You can certainly see a lot of negatives but the pitching was a huge positive the whole road trip.

GIDP
07-11-2010, 08:53 PM
The team ERA on the road trip was 2.71 not couting today in which they only gave up 1 run in 9 innings. That included 3 starts from Wood, and 2 starts from Leake, Maloney and Cueto each.

Wood and Leake are both 22
Cueto is 24
Maloney is 25

Yea I think thats huge.

RedsFanInBama
07-11-2010, 08:54 PM
The nature of the losses in this series were very hard to take. All four of them.

improbus
07-11-2010, 09:14 PM
This series was absolutely gut wrenching. I almost couldn't watch, even when we had a pitcher within one pitch of a perfect game. But, the Phillies have been a sleeping giant and we aren't going to run into Halladay every game. Let's get some rest and gear up for the second half! Stay optimistic fellas!

R_Webb18
07-11-2010, 10:12 PM
we might of lost the last 4 but you still got feel pretty good about this team. the starting pitching played great. the bullpen will have changes which should improve it. the hitting will come to life again. we also still have a lead.

RedsFanInBama
07-11-2010, 10:25 PM
the bullpen will have changes which should improve it.
What do you see happening?

R_Webb18
07-12-2010, 12:44 AM
What do you see happening?

i mean idk rly chapman is coming up i think. don't rly know hows he's doing but if he does good it will help. maybe a trade? maybe anthor starter can be put in there?

redsfan_12
07-12-2010, 12:58 AM
Maybe it will be a silver lining. Bruce, Cabrera, and Gomes can get some work this week. But To lose all 4 games of a series by a total of 5 runs, that is a dagger. Oh well, gotta move on. Last time we got swept,we went on a roll. With a favorable schedule the rest of the way, no way we can't. Lets get it!

RedsFanIN
07-12-2010, 01:12 AM
I wouldnt get too caught up in the fact we lost 4 in a row. We played 4 very good games but came up just a little short to a very good team. Woods game was especially exciting. How long has it been since we had a no hitter let alone a perfect game! We are still in first and the Cards havent really done anything to make me believe that they are going to go on a long winning spree.

BringDownMugabe
07-12-2010, 01:18 AM
It's baseball, streaks and losses like these happen. Just be thankful they're happening in July and not at the end of September.

bshall2105
07-12-2010, 01:21 AM
Is getting swept in a 4 game series by a total of 5 runs a sign that you're manager is not quite up to par with what a contending team should have? The Reds players certainly didn't play any worse than the Phillies did.

RedsFanIN
07-12-2010, 01:29 AM
Is getting swept in a 4 game series by a total of 5 runs a sign that you're manager is not quite up to par with what a contending team should have? The Reds players certainly didn't play any worse than the Phillies did.

I dont know about that, but I do believe that Baker is to blame for Leakes loss. With all the talk about watching his innings pitched, he should have never been sent out to pitch the 9th inning.

RedsFanInBama
07-12-2010, 01:49 AM
I dont know about that, but I do believe that Baker is to blame for Leakes loss. With all the talk about watching his innings pitched, he should have never been sent out to pitch the 9th inning.
I really don't get this argument. He had thrown 85 pitches. He had thrown 95+ on 11 different occasions before Friday night. Him going out for the 9th was not a problem. You could argue that he should have been taken out after he gave up a couple hits, but saying he shouldn't have even gone out for the 9th? Hogwash.

R_Webb18
07-12-2010, 01:50 AM

im sure he could pitch 9 with less than 100 balls thrown

redsfan_12
07-12-2010, 09:30 AM
I really don't get this argument. He had thrown 85 pitches. He had thrown 95+ on 11 different occasions before Friday night. Him going out for the 9th was not a problem. You could argue that he should have been taken out after he gave up a couple hits, but saying he shouldn't have even gone out for the 9th? Hogwash.

Agreed. I dont think it was Dusty's fault. Leake was in the zone all night. I think he took him out at the right time too after the HR. All Cordero had to do was get the bottom 2 hitters in the lineup out, and wha-la. I guess that was to much to ask of him.