PDA

View Full Version : Update on Brad Boxberger

OnBaseMachine
07-12-2010, 05:41 PM
From John Fay:

“We’re doing with him what he we did with Zach Stewart last year,” assistant general manager Bob Miller said. “Start him out starting, then move him to the bullpen to keep his innings down.”

Boxberger’s numbers were very good at Lynchburg. He went 4-6 with a 3.19 ERA in 14 games (13 starts). He allowed 57 hits, walked 20 and struck out 70 in 62 innings.

He got roughed up a bit after the promotion.

After five games at Double-A, he has a 12.79 ERA. He has allowed 11 hits in 6 1/3 innings and has walked eight and struck out seven.

The Reds are undecided as to whether Boxberger will end up in the bullpen or starting. He has a power arm. Baseball America named his fastball the best in the Reds’ system.

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/2010/07/12/updates-on-boxberger-arrendondo/

GIDP
07-12-2010, 05:56 PM
Finally someone got some info on what the move was about.

Glad its viewed right now at least a temporary thing.

fearofpopvol1
07-12-2010, 06:41 PM
I think the problem is that the Reds chose to do this a little early. His innings weren't all that high when they pulled him from starting. I'm fine with the idea to limit innings, but it seems it was done a bit premature this year.

I'd like to see him given every chance to fail at starting before moving him to the pen for next year and beyond.

muddie
07-12-2010, 06:56 PM
Finally someone got some info on what the move was about.

Glad its viewed right now at least a temporary thing.

I posted something on him about a week ago, can't remember the thread. I also got the impression through conversation that he was losing some of his speed on his pitches.

chicoruiz
07-14-2010, 10:45 AM
He has a power arm. Baseball America named his fastball the best in the Reds’ system.

BA thinks his fastball is better than Aroldis Chapman's ???

GIDP
07-14-2010, 11:03 AM
I posted something on him about a week ago, can't remember the thread. I also got the impression through conversation that he was losing some of his speed on his pitches.

guess I missed that.

tbball10
07-14-2010, 11:46 AM
BA thinks his fastball is better than Aroldis Chapman's ???

BA's rankings came out before Chapman was signed.