PDA

View Full Version : Kevin Youkilis thanks Cincinnati fans

OnBaseMachine
07-12-2010, 07:49 PM
Classy Thank You letter from Kevin Youkilis.

Posted by Nick Hurm on John Fay's blog:

An open letter from Kevin Youkilis to the fans of Cincinnati:

I wish to say a very sincere “Thank you” to all my friends, fans and family in my hometown of Cincinnati who voted for me, and put forth such a valiant effort in trying to win for me the Final Vote for the 2010 All-Star Game.

I truly appreciate all the support you all have given me throughout my career, and continue to provide.

It means the world to me to have received so many votes, and I would like you to know I am humbled, and most appreciative. Keep rooting on the Sox … and the Reds!

Let’s hope we both have a great second half of the season and push into the playoffs. Thank you Cincinnati! Go Bearcats!

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/2010/07/12/kevin-youkilis-thanks-cincinnati-fans/

camisadelgolf
07-12-2010, 07:59 PM
I went to high school with Kevin, and he was a pretty humble guy. He and Votto got all my votes, and I'll always wish him the best.

Spitball
07-12-2010, 09:13 PM
He is a classy guy. I voted for Youkilis along with Votto from the beginning and wish the alliance had been with his fans from the start.

yab1112
07-12-2010, 09:21 PM
That's pretty cool. I've marked him down in my official book of people I root for. :cool:

redsmetz
07-12-2010, 09:52 PM
I know I've mentioned this before, they are absolutely nuts for Youklis in Boston. When people at Fenway heard we were from Cincinnati, they immediately said that was Youk's hometown because talks about it all the time, they said.

RBA
07-12-2010, 09:58 PM
All I know, Nick Swisher should be sitting at home.

mdccclxix
07-12-2010, 10:03 PM
Just checked and he's signed until 2013. :( I always root for local guys.

BCubb2003
07-12-2010, 10:10 PM
Arroyo for Youkilis?

camisadelgolf
07-12-2010, 10:34 PM
Arroyo for Youkilis?
Let's throw in Kris Negron and Tom Cochran to help sweeten the pot.

RFS62
07-12-2010, 10:59 PM
He is a classy guy. I voted for Youkilis along with Votto from the beginning and wish the alliance had been with his fans from the start.

Same here

reds1869
07-12-2010, 11:06 PM
Classy move from a classy man. Youkilis is one of my favorite players in any sport. I grew up with Swisher so I mostly voted for him (he is a lot more deserving than many on this board give him credit for with numbers comparable to Kevin's). But I threw some votes Youk's way as well. He would look really nice in a Reds uniform, wouldn't he?

Reds/Flyers Fan
07-12-2010, 11:34 PM
Arroyo for Youkilis?

Where would he play here?

HeatherC1212
07-12-2010, 11:43 PM
Youk is a great guy and that was a nice gesture from him. He didn't have to do that at all but he did anyway. I love when famous people from Cincinnati aren't ashamed to admit that they're from here. :thumbup:

Mario-Rijo
07-13-2010, 04:41 AM
Where would he play here?

He'll play 3rd after Rolens gone? :confused:

blumj
07-13-2010, 08:50 AM
He'll play 3rd after Rolens gone? :confused:

Don't think you're going to want another 35 year old 3rd baseman after Rolen, especially one who isn't that great at playing 3rd now.

And, just because it was memorable:

Some day, the Everyman might enjoy universal appeal. Some day, Kevin Youkilis's uncommon intensity will be a footnote to an exceptional career, a self-made All Star who runs out ground balls, hits for power, gets on base, cheers for his teammates, and sets out to win every game, even though the numbers say it's impossible.

"You can't get no better than Youk," said Ortiz. "If you don't want to play with a guy like that, then there's something wrong with you."

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2009/10/07/red_sox_youkilis_has_burning_desire/?page=full

Spitball
07-13-2010, 07:32 PM
I just realized Girardi named Konerko to replace the injured Morneau. It would seem that Youkilis would have been the logical choice with the fan vote and his ability to play more than one position.

Blitz Dorsey
07-14-2010, 08:56 PM
Don't thank this particular Reds fan considering I either left the AL vote blank or voted for Swisher since Ohio State is my alma mater.

Benihana
07-14-2010, 10:04 PM
Arroyo for Youkilis?

How about a 37-year old broken down Barry Larkin for Youkilis. Anybody around here remember that one?

Blitz Dorsey
07-14-2010, 11:41 PM
How about a 37-year old broken down Barry Larkin for Youkilis. Anybody around here remember that one?

Wow, I don't remember that. And I follow this stuff really close.

As much as it pains me to say it my friend, the Reds have been quite fortunate when it comes to former Michigan players, Larkin being the leader of course. And I've become a big Ryan LaMarre fan, this year's second-round pick who is having a solid year at Dayton. I like that he's a gamer who wanted to sign immediately and get to work. Kid might be with the big club by 2012.

But can't we get at least one Ohio State player on the Reds? Well, I guess we did have Dave Burba there for a while. And got a pretty good player in Sean Casey in return for him. I was actually hoping the Reds were going to take Alex Wimmers (Big Ten and national college baseball pitcher of the year) but he fell to the Twins at #21. Not sure why you would take a catcher in the first round two out of the last four years unless you weren't sold on Mesoraco (who is having a hell of a year).