07-13-2010, 10:18 AM
shocking. :(

http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/news/story?id=5375561

bounty37h
07-13-2010, 10:50 AM
Not really, was old and in bad health.

Red Forman
07-13-2010, 10:54 AM
The "Voice of God" & now, "The Boss".....sad day for yank-mee fans!

FYI:

- George just celebrated his 80th B'day on July 4th

- George was born in Rocky River, Ohio

- George is a convicted felon.

GIDP
07-13-2010, 10:56 AM
Bad week for Yankees.

KOBasinger
07-13-2010, 11:18 AM

FYI:

He was also a Buckeye.

TheBigLebowski
07-13-2010, 11:33 AM
The Boss was always a staunch supporter of UF Gator athletics. I know that's not relevant to most of you but it is to me.

Say what you will about him, but he is a baseball icon.

RIP.

muddie
07-13-2010, 11:52 AM
Billy Martin has been waiting for him...

sigep529
07-13-2010, 12:21 PM

FYI:

Somebody needs to go check up on Yogi. These things tend to come in threes.

GIDP
07-13-2010, 12:40 PM
I was thinking. Of all the times George Steinbrenner could die the day of the All Star Game just fits so perfectly. One of the greatest owners ever who loved to be the middle of the media, dies on one of the most important days of the Baseball season, single handedly upstaging it. I dont think it could be scripted any other way given his nature.

brm7675
07-13-2010, 01:08 PM
Well Yankee announcer and now George, and we know these things happen in 3's so who is next?

Kingspoint
07-13-2010, 01:24 PM
Well Yankee announcer and now George, and we know these things happen in 3's so who is next?

Yogi Berra.

Kingspoint
07-13-2010, 01:25 PM
Only guy in baseball I can think of with the moniker of "The Boss".

That says it all.

brm7675
07-13-2010, 02:33 PM
Should George be in the HOF?

KOBasinger
07-13-2010, 02:35 PM
Should George be in the HOF?

Without a doubt

Vottomatic
07-13-2010, 04:21 PM
I'm sorry to see anyone die including Steinbrenner, and not being cold.........but I never really cared for anything Yankee related.

It has nothing to do with him passing. I just hate the Yankees.

1990REDS
07-13-2010, 04:27 PM
he did a lot of good things for baseball but he wasnt an angel either. i know that today and prolly for the next year or so we will only hear about all the good things he done (rightfully so). im intrested to see how he will be remembered 5, 10, 20 years from now. innovative baseball business man or guy who helped bury small market baseball teams?

BringDownMugabe
07-13-2010, 07:28 PM
I'm sorry to see anyone die including Steinbrenner, and not being cold.........but I never really cared for anything Yankee related.

You just hate the Yankees because you're jealous. The way they manage their franchise (including payroll) may be excessive, but it's within the rules. Don't hate the Yankees -- hate Bud Selig.

sivman17
07-13-2010, 07:33 PM

I tend to agree with this.

NeilHamburger
07-13-2010, 08:06 PM
Complex guy, there were really two sides to him. He was hell to work for, especially pre 93 when he came back from a banning.

He got in trouble for illegal contributions to Richard Nixon, obstruction of justice and later hired a low rent bookie to try and dig up dirt on Dave Winfield because he didn't like how he played. He was banned from ever running the Yankees again in 90, but slimed his way back in by 93. His treatment of employees, from clerks to parking attendents, was disgraceful. If you saw him in the wrong mood you would be fired, even if you did little wrong and needed the job for your family. He was downright mean to his lower staff, his real life treatment of the secretarial and administrative staff became a gag on Seinfeld

He also set up many hospital wings around Tampa for kids, and was famous for financial contributions, he also tried to help Yankees like Dwight Gooden and Darryl Strawberry who had problems.

In many ways he was a mean, bitter and nasty man who hurt many people who worked for him. But, in many other ways he was a great guy

I realize some people may not like the above post, but I'm a big believer in not making someone a saint just because they are gone if they did bad things while alive. Steinbrenner had both a good and bad side.

Mutaman
07-14-2010, 12:58 AM
The boss' passing reminds me of some of Puff Nettles' quotations:

"When I was a little boy, I wanted to be a baseball player and join the circus. With the Yankees I have accomplished both."

[On George Steinbrenner's 1970s habit of appearing in the Yankee locker room to deliver pep talks] "The more we lose, the more Steinbrenner will fly in. And the more he flies, the better the chance there will be for a plane crash."

[Discussing reliever Sparky Lyle's abrupt displacement in the bullpen by Goose Gossage] In one year, Sparky Lyle went from Cy Young to sayonara.

BurgervilleBuck
07-14-2010, 01:43 PM
You just hate the Yankees because you're jealous. The way they manage their franchise (including payroll) may be excessive, but it's within the rules. Don't hate the Yankees -- hate Bud Selig.
I will admit to hating the Yankees for making smaller market teams nearly irrelevant but I think the true Yankee hate comes from a certain Connecticut sports networks constantly shoving the Yankees down our collective gob for years. Certainly, they're one of the most successful franchises in professional sports but they are also the most overexposed sports teams as well.

But, honestly, I weep no tears for Steinbrenner. He was part of the problem, whether it was within the rules or not.

Girevik
07-14-2010, 02:01 PM
I never liked the Yankees because of the advantage they have over everyone else, but I can't blame Stienbrenner for using everything he can within the rules. Why should he hold back to help out the Reds or any other team? That's like a boxer not using his left hook because he feels sorry for the guy trying to knock his teeth out.

Caveman Techie
07-14-2010, 02:21 PM
he did a lot of good things for baseball

Really? I was just thinking the exact opposite, the man did a lot of harm to baseball.

Now that being said, I'm sorry to see him go.

Hey Meat
07-14-2010, 02:26 PM
It might be Joe Girardi since he didn't play A-Rod last night and went on to lose the game.

1990REDS
07-14-2010, 04:19 PM
Really? I was just thinking the exact opposite, the man did a lot of harm to baseball.
Now that being said, I'm sorry to see him go.

actually i agree with you. i just threw it into the post cause i havent been on this board that long and didnt know if i would catch any grief for ragging on a dead guy. But the sienfeld episodes with him are classics.:)

Red Forman
07-16-2010, 04:45 PM
This is kewl...

Per C. Trent R....

TBS to honor Steinbrenner with Seinfeld episodes

http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/22297882/23217770?tag=comBlogEntryListCnt;entry23217770