PDA

View Full Version : Daugherty feature on Phillips w/ great quote about Rolen

johngalt
07-13-2010, 03:02 PM
http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20100712/COL03/307120108/Stylish-Brandon-Phillips-flashes-substance-too

Phillips says, “I was hitting in front of him. He was like, ‘Hey, BP, just so you know, if I get hit (with a pitch) because you pimped a home run, me and you are going to have to talk.’ That’s all I needed to know.’’

membengal
07-13-2010, 03:04 PM
Heh. One for Rolen.

smith288
07-13-2010, 03:28 PM
Nice.

nate
07-13-2010, 03:43 PM
That's a good line. And a good article, thanks for posting.

Hoosier Red
07-13-2010, 03:56 PM
Line of the article bar none;

As Votto noted, when informed of Phillips’ self appraisal, “I think we should get Rick (Stowe, Reds clubhouse manager) to shift me over to (Phillips’) side of the clubhouse, so I can learn how to love myself more.’’

I have a feeling Votto's like the friend who doesn't go for the laugh often, but when he has a joke, it's absolutely hysterical and truly cold blooded.

RichRed
07-13-2010, 04:08 PM
Line of the article bar none;

As Votto noted, when informed of Phillips’ self appraisal, “I think we should get Rick (Stowe, Reds clubhouse manager) to shift me over to (Phillips’) side of the clubhouse, so I can learn how to love myself more.’’

I have a feeling Votto's like the friend who doesn't go for the laugh often, but when he has a joke, it's absolutely hysterical and truly cold blooded.

Yep, he's got that sharp, deadpan Canadian thing going.

_Sir_Charles_
07-13-2010, 06:07 PM
Probably doesn't deserve it's own thread, but you guys have GOT to check out the video of Rolen messing with Kevin Millar who's trying to interview him for MLB Network. Funny, funny stuff. :O)

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=9909221&c_id=cin

Mario-Rijo
07-13-2010, 08:25 PM
Thank you Scott Rolen, finally a leader who will not just lead by example, love it. :thumbup:

TheBurn
07-14-2010, 09:44 AM
“When you’re not looking to get a base hit to raise your average, when you’re looking to get a stolen base not just to get a stolen base, but to get yourself in scoring position to get a run that wins a game, you’re not going to believe what your (stats) look like.’’ What Rolen actually said to Phillips was, “Brandon, when we start winning here, you’re going to see what type of player you really are.’’ Phillips says he wasn’t sure then what Rolen was talking about. The Reds were 12-11 in April. An 18-11 May followed, and Phillips liked Rolen’s advice so much, he wrote it down and posted it in his cubicle at GABP. Fantastic... :thumbup:

Ghosts of 1990
07-14-2010, 10:13 AM
I love the Rolen trade more every day.

It's obvious that Phillips loves the guy....

Mario-Rijo
07-14-2010, 10:36 AM
It should be noted that this is why intangibles have value to a player and a team. How much Brandons game has improved was always well within his control he just needed someone to lead him to the proverbial water.

durl
07-14-2010, 10:39 AM
Thank you Scott Rolen, finally a leader who will not just lead by example, love it. :thumbup:

+1

It's great to have a guy there that will say what needs to be said and have every type of player listen to him and RESPECT him. It would be great if he has a few more good years left in him.

And when he does retire, I'd like to see him eventually become the bench coach.

Chip R
07-14-2010, 02:49 PM
It should be noted that this is why intangibles have value to a player and a team. How much Brandons game has improved was always well within his control he just needed someone to lead him to the proverbial water.

I think you may be in to something here. Hopefully Brandon will pass Rolen's wisdom on to younger players and then he'll be looked up to like the leader he's always wanted to be.

Blitz Dorsey
07-14-2010, 08:52 PM
I love it. Rolen just exudes leadership and toughness. Sorry Griffey fans, but pretty much the exact opposite of Griffey. I always thought Griffey was soft mentally (not so much physically -- he would put his body on the line for sure) and wasn't anything close to a "leader" on or off the field. Then the Reds bring in a guy like Rolen who resembles everything I want in a leader no matter the sport. (Course, I probably wouldn't want Rolen on my basketball team since he would be a 6-4 post player with no hops. Ha.)

durl
07-15-2010, 06:24 PM
I love it. Rolen just exudes leadership and toughness. Sorry Griffey fans, but pretty much the exact opposite of Griffey. I always thought Griffey was soft mentally (not so much physically -- he would put his body on the line for sure) and wasn't anything close to a "leader" on or off the field. Then the Reds bring in a guy like Rolen who resembles everything I want in a leader no matter the sport. (Course, I probably wouldn't want Rolen on my basketball team since he would be a 6-4 post player with no hops. Ha.)

Honestly, I never thought that Griffey wanted to be the leader that Rolen has shown himself to be.

Many people believe that the highest paid, the oldest, the most flamboyant, or the most talented player has to be the team leader but it may not be their personality to actually be an up-front leader.

westofyou
07-15-2010, 06:40 PM
You can praise a player without having to rip down another, it really is quite possible.

KronoRed
07-15-2010, 06:51 PM
You can praise a player without having to rip down another, it really is quite possible.

Nah, all we need now is some lame Dunn bashing for this to be a real RZ thread.

nate
07-15-2010, 08:55 PM

It's not a zero-sum game?

:cool:

OldRightHander
07-15-2010, 08:59 PM

Tell that to Marty please.

bucksfan2
07-16-2010, 09:40 AM

Is it really ripping Jr? It was quite evident to everyone who followed or watched Jr he never wanted all the attention that came along with him. He was more than happy to spend all his off time with his family. He never really promoted his charity ventures and you never heard a peep out of him once he left the ball park. I always thought he was an unassuming superstar. He just wanted to play ball.

Its not a knock on Jr at all to mention the leadership that he was lacking. Its something some players have and some players don't. If you don't have it it is very difficult to obtain. I do find it funny that Phillips for 2 years has been talking about being the leader and never realized that his actions could have been taken the wrong way.

TheNext44
07-16-2010, 10:31 AM
Bill James once said that there is no such thing as an intangible. He didn't mean that things like leadership, clutch and hustle don't exist or have a real effect, but that we just haven't found a way to calculate it yet.

Articles like these could help in that area.

westofyou
07-16-2010, 10:34 AM
Is it really ripping Jr? It was quite evident to everyone who followed or watched Jr he never wanted all the attention that came along with him. He was more than happy to spend all his off time with his family. He never really promoted his charity ventures and you never heard a peep out of him once he left the ball park. I always thought he was an unassuming superstar. He just wanted to play ball.

Its not a knock on Jr at all to mention the leadership that he was lacking. Its something some players have and some players don't. If you don't have it it is very difficult to obtain. I do find it funny that Phillips for 2 years has been talking about being the leader and never realized that his actions could have been taken the wrong way.

Is calling someone "soft mentally" not a rip in your world?

It is in mine.

Nasty_Boy
07-16-2010, 10:50 AM
Scott Rolen has obviously made a difference, but we as fans act like we know the team and the club house because of what PDoc had to say in an article. And as much as I appreciate stories that try to give us a look at what goes on behind then scenes, it doesn't make it absolute. You can't help but wonder what glory and praise article would have been written about Jr if he had stayed healthy and the Reds had something that resembled a pitching staff. I just tend to think that an overall talent level, along with some actual ability on the mound and the coming of age of prospects has as much to do with the winning as it does Scott Rolen dropping his head after hitting a homer.