PDA

View Full Version : The Movie that was better than the book?

gonelong
07-13-2010, 04:16 PM
The Movie is never better than the book, or is it? This was a short campfire discussion we had a few nights ago over cigars and whiskey.

The only one we came up with that we all agreed to was the Lord of the Rings Trilogy. The books were good, but often difficult to read. The movies were well done and entertaining.

Any others?

GL

Caveat Emperor
07-13-2010, 04:21 PM
Just off the top of my head:

The Field of Dreams
The Godfather
War of the Worlds (George Pal 1960s original)
Princess Bride
Fight Club

I've read all of those books, and in each instance I think the movie is vastly superior.

pedro
07-13-2010, 04:29 PM
I loved Shoeless Joe (on which field of dreams was based). Although I did read it when it came out years before the movie.

westofyou
07-13-2010, 04:34 PM
Ordinary People

Hoosier Red
07-13-2010, 04:35 PM
I liked The World According to Garp much better as a movie. I'm probably alone in that though.

Rojo
07-13-2010, 04:38 PM
Breakin' 2: Electric Boogaloo

RichRed
07-13-2010, 06:47 PM
Breakin' 2: Electric Boogaloo

Nothing to add here, except to mention that I dropped an "Electric Boogaloo" reference on another message board just this morning. Get outta my head, man.

Will M
07-13-2010, 09:30 PM
Lord of the Rings films better than the books?!? Blasphemy.
Where was Tom Bombadil? The Barrowwights?? Glorfindel???
I'm sending some hobbits over to your house to talk some sense into you & make you read the Silmarillion & all 176 volumes of the history of Middle Earth.

Pet Semetary the book was awful. The movie was solid B grade fun.

The Ring was an American remake of a Japanese film Ringu which was based on a manga. The Ring was better than both.

Falls City Beer
07-13-2010, 09:34 PM
The Exorcist
Jaws
The Shining

Redhook
07-13-2010, 09:46 PM
I liked The World According to Garp much better as a movie. I'm probably alone in that though.

Wow. My favorite book. Absolutely loved it. Thought the movie was pretty weak though. But, to each their own. I won't hold it against you. ;)

Kingspoint
07-13-2010, 09:46 PM
"The Great Race"

Redhook
07-13-2010, 09:49 PM
I don't think I've ever seen a movie where I thought it was better than the book.

One example, The Firm, was a great book, but a terrible movie. Gresham and James Patterson are great writers, but the movies of their books don't tend to do them justice.

MWM
07-13-2010, 09:52 PM
The Godfather

I love the movie the Godfather, but I have to disagree that it was better than the book. The book was pretty fantastic and the movie pretty much just foloowed the story step by step. I liked the book because it explored the conflicted nature of Michael Corleone so much deeper. Both are excellent, but I still prefer the book.

Tom Servo
07-13-2010, 10:03 PM
I think Cormac McCarthy is a brilliant writer but the way the Cohen Brothers pulled off 'No Country For Old Men' was nothing short of extraordinary.

Rojo
07-13-2010, 11:10 PM
Get outta my head, man.

And into my car.

OUReds
07-13-2010, 11:11 PM
Forrest Gump

BringDownMugabe
07-13-2010, 11:43 PM
A Clockwork Orange. The movie is so much better than the book.

Caveat Emperor
07-13-2010, 11:45 PM
I love the movie the Godfather, but I have to disagree that it was better than the book. The book was pretty fantastic and the movie pretty much just foloowed the story step by step. I liked the book because it explored the conflicted nature of Michael Corleone so much deeper. Both are excellent, but I still prefer the book.

I've heard that before, and I think (at least in that case) that it's definitely one of those things where I saw the movie first and then read the book. Whichever one I'd seen / read first would probably have won out, in that regard.

vaticanplum
07-13-2010, 11:56 PM
Anne of Green Gables. I loved the books as a kid, but I re-read the first one a few years ago and was disappointed to find that it's pretty flowery Victorian nonsense. The movie, however, is still great.

Johnny Footstool
07-14-2010, 01:09 AM
"Let the Right One In" is a fantastic movie, one of the best treatments of vampire myths ever.

I haven't read the book it was based on called "Let Me In," but I've read some plot synopses, and apparently the book adds some really stupid elements to the story.

gonelong
07-14-2010, 09:58 AM
"Let the Right One In" is a fantastic movie, one of the best treatments of vampire myths ever.

Good to know, added it to my Netflix instant queue. Thanks!

GL

bucksfan2
07-14-2010, 10:32 AM
Forrest Gump

That was what I was going to say.

Can't really think of any others sans Lord of the Rings but I have only read The Hobbit.

Johnny Footstool
07-14-2010, 10:46 AM
Good to know, added it to my Netflix instant queue. Thanks!

GL

I hope you like it. Be aware, it's subtitled.

reds1869
07-14-2010, 11:06 AM
Let the Right One In is a excellent; I hope you enjoy it.

I'll add my voice to those saying Forrest Gump was better as a movie.

RBA
07-14-2010, 11:39 AM
Shrek

BuckWild03
07-14-2010, 11:40 AM
I hope you like it. Be aware, it's subtitled.

The American remake comes out in October. :rolleyes:

redsmetz
07-14-2010, 12:27 PM
I don't think I've ever seen a movie where I thought it was better than the book.

One example, The Firm, was a great book, but a terrible movie. Gresham and James Patterson are great writers, but the movies of their books don't tend to do them justice.

My nephew, then in high school, walked out of The Firm. It was the worst adaptation of book that I've ever seen. Worst.

jmcclain19
07-14-2010, 12:33 PM
Angels & Demons immediately screams out. Thank god I watched the movie first because the book had all kinds of issues.

Dan Brown - great story ideas, hackneyed writing style.

Joseph
07-14-2010, 12:58 PM
Woah woah woah....back the truck up.....

LotR movies better than the books?

Put down the pipe man. :)

OldRightHander
07-14-2010, 01:37 PM

I was thinking the same thing.

RBA
07-14-2010, 01:38 PM

That's funny. It was usually the kids on the pipe that carried around those books in school. :eek:

bucksfan2
07-14-2010, 01:42 PM
Angels & Demons immediately screams out. Thank god I watched the movie first because the book had all kinds of issues.

Dan Brown - great story ideas, hackneyed writing style.

Really? I thought both movies were awful when compared to the books. The movies were ok but the books were great.

I do agree what Brown's imagination can run wild but his research is top notch.

Caveat Emperor
07-14-2010, 01:53 PM

I tried twice, on two seperate occasions, to read through all the LotR books -- both times I finished "Fellowship" with no problem but couldn't make it through "Two Towers" without being bored to tears. Once the trees started talking, I lost all interest in the book. I'm usually pretty fond of sci-fi / fantasy books, but LotR just couldn't hold me in.

From that standpoint, I think the movie has to be superior to the book, considering I was actually able to watch the movie.

pedro
07-14-2010, 01:53 PM
That's funny. It was usually the kids on the pipe that carried around those books in school. :eek:

How else are you going to suffer through a three page long description of a door? ;)

westofyou
07-14-2010, 02:02 PM
My nephew, then in high school, walked out of The Firm. It was the worst adaptation of book that I've ever seen. Worst.

John Grisham writes plots with characters, his books read like scripts, not novels.

pedro
07-14-2010, 02:05 PM
I tried twice, on two seperate occasions, to read through all the LotR books -- both times I finished "Fellowship" with no problem but couldn't make it through "Two Towers" without being bored to tears. Once the trees started talking, I lost all interest in the book. I'm usually pretty fond of sci-fi / fantasy books, but LotR just couldn't hold me in.

From that standpoint, I think the movie has to be superior to the book, considering I was actually able to watch the movie.

I read them in 5th grade. Don't think I could have taken it as an adult.

RichRed
07-14-2010, 02:16 PM
John Grisham writes plots with characters, his books read like scripts, not novels.

I've thought that too. It always seemed like he was writing as if he were already anticipating the film adaptation to come.

bucksfan2
07-14-2010, 02:26 PM

Grisham's novels have been box office bombs. I even remember that he put a moratorium on his books being adapted into movies. IIRC it was The Runaway Jury that ended that moratorium and they changed the plot around and the movie was awful.

That said I really enjoy his books.

Caveat Emperor
07-14-2010, 03:18 PM
I've thought that too. It always seemed like he was writing as if he were already anticipating the film adaptation to come.

Micheal Crichton is very similar.

westofyou
07-14-2010, 03:24 PM
Micheal Crichton is very similar.

yep, I almost wrote his name in the same sentence, they write stories that are engaging, but hardly what I would deem quality or unique writing.

Kingspoint
07-14-2010, 04:09 PM
For many it depends on whether you read the book first, or saw the movie first. Kind of hard to say a movie was better than the book if you didn't read the book first. A book is all about anticipation, where movies are often just a lot of glitz, music and star power.

bucksfan2
07-14-2010, 04:21 PM
For many it depends on whether you read the book first, or saw the movie first. Kind of hard to say a movie was better than the book if you didn't read the book first. A book is all about anticipation, where movies are often just a lot of glitz, music and star power.

You bring up a good point. I also think it depends on whether or not you saw the movie at the theater or at home.

When I see a movie come out that interest me that is based off a book I try and read the novel first. When I saw that the movie "Shooter" was coming out based upon the book Point of Impact I read the book first. I loved the book and enjoyed the movie. Both have their pluses and minuses. The book was much more indepth and had some better moments while the movie did a very good job of adapting it to the big screen.

*BaseClogger*
07-14-2010, 04:42 PM
What about films based on comics and graphic novels?

Johnny Footstool
07-14-2010, 05:29 PM
What about films based on comics and graphic novels?

The comic or graphic novel is better. Always.

rdiersin
07-14-2010, 06:12 PM
A River Runs Through It. Its a great book, but the visual aspect of the movie maybe makes me say that the movie was better. Its tough though, as they are both good.

BCubb2003
07-14-2010, 06:15 PM

Oh yeah, what about "Richie Rich"?

reds1869
07-14-2010, 08:34 PM

Exhibit A is Watchmen.

*BaseClogger*
07-14-2010, 09:23 PM
Wasn't V for Vendetta based on a graphic novel?

Will M
07-14-2010, 09:29 PM
Wasn't V for Vendetta based on a graphic novel?

yes. an old Alan Moore comic.

redsmetz
07-14-2010, 09:42 PM

I understand that and it wasn't the script that bothered me (and him). It was the whole ending and what they were charged with (won't say here in case some haven't read it or seen the movie). Many a Grisham novel require you to suspend some disbelief since characters seem to be able to do incredible things or have incredible means to accomplish what they're doing, but the film version of The Firm was just flat ultimately. Actually more like a popped baloon.

BCubb2003
07-14-2010, 10:19 PM
I understand that and it wasn't the script that bothered me (and him). It was the whole ending and what they were charged with (won't say here in case some haven't read it or seen the movie). Many a Grisham novel require you to suspend some disbelief since characters seem to be able to do incredible things or have incredible means to accomplish what they're doing, but the film version of The Firm was just flat ultimately. Actually more like a popped baloon.

If I remember, the movie made bad guys into good guys and changed the whole motivation of the main characters.

Scrap Irony
07-15-2010, 12:21 AM

I re-read the LotR novels each Christmas Break. Have since I was a sophomore in high school. Tolkien's ability to create a world is second-to-none. And his characters are beloved the world over.

I realize they may be difficult for some to get through, as they're occasionally dense. However, though the movies are great, they're don't touch the books.

Johnny Footstool
07-15-2010, 12:31 AM
Oh yeah, what about "Richie Rich"?

That's like picking between getting stabbed in the stomach or getting shot in the stomach.

cincinnati chili
07-15-2010, 01:27 AM
2001. Unique in that the book was released after the movie, although developed concurrently with the movie.

Two of the writers mentioned above went to my high school: Dan Brown (DaVinci Code) and John Irving (Garp). As for the former, I agree his writing style is abysmal. Great plots, annoying writing. As for the latter, he's about as good as it gets. Many don't know he struggled with dyslexia, making his books all the more incredible.

TheNext44
07-15-2010, 08:00 PM
I'm not sure the movie The Natural is better than the book, but it is very different, and I could see people hating one, but loving the other. Completely different ending that changes everything that the book was about, but still a great movie.

Roy Tucker
07-20-2010, 03:37 PM
Gone With The Wind - a bit like vp's comment about Anne of Green Gables, the book is a bit turgid and flowery but I loved the movie.

Shawshank Redemption - I liked the Stephen King story (titled Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption) but the movie is a classic. I thought about putting King's "Stand By Me" here too but I decided I liked the story too much.

PickOff
07-20-2010, 04:22 PM
For many it depends on whether you read the book first, or saw the movie first.

I agree. I cannot think of one film that I have seen that I enjoyed more than the book, having read the book first. However, I did see Jaws first and then read the book and I found that I enjoyed the film more.

durl
07-20-2010, 04:35 PM
I re-read the LotR novels each Christmas Break. Have since I was a sophomore in high school. Tolkien's ability to create a world is second-to-none. And his characters are beloved the world over.

I realize they may be difficult for some to get through, as they're occasionally dense. However, though the movies are great, they're don't touch the books.

I agree completely.

I also feel the same about CS Lewis' Narnia series. (And the movies pale in comparison to the books, especially the Caspian movie...a huge letdown.)

TRF
07-25-2010, 10:11 AM

The Dark Knight was pretty good, as good as any Batman comic.

reds1869
07-25-2010, 10:44 AM

The Dark Knight is a spectacular film. But had it been directly based on a specific graphic novel, the book would almost certainly have been better.

Johnny Footstool
07-25-2010, 07:46 PM

Yes, The Dark Knight was an original script, not directly based on any particular storyline from the comics.

IslandRed
07-25-2010, 09:36 PM
Gone With The Wind - a bit like vp's comment about Anne of Green Gables, the book is a bit turgid and flowery but I loved the movie.

I agree, and I'd read the book first. That great cast brought added life and a comic touch to the movie that didn't come through in the novel.

westofyou
07-26-2010, 09:45 AM
I agree, and I'd read the book first. That great cast brought added life and a comic touch to the movie that didn't come through in the novel.

Love the book myself, in fact I'd say that books/films like GWTW belong in a separate thread... best films/books... where dwell great combos like One flew over the Cukoos nest, To Kill a Mockingbird, and In Cold Blood.

TRF
07-26-2010, 04:00 PM
The Dark Knight is a spectacular film. But had it been directly based on a specific graphic novel, the book would almost certainly have been better.

yeah, but that's like saying Iron Man was an original script. it was, but pulled from the comics heavily.

And Iron Man the movie was better than any Iron Man comic. The Dark Knight was better than any of the Batman graphic novels too.

LeDoux
07-27-2010, 05:14 PM
Perhaps this one was covered in the last thread - Star Wars. The book was written after the screenplay and, in my opinion, it is not very good. I read it as a young teen and still remember it not-so-fondly.

guttle11
07-27-2010, 11:42 PM
Bridge to Terabithia. An absolute clinic on how to turn a childhood fantasy type book into a film. Didn't hurt that the screenplay writer was the book author's son, and inspiration for the lead character. But still, a good book...but an excellent movie.

MrCinatit
07-28-2010, 12:25 AM
I wasn't really impressed with Do Androids Dream Of Electric Sheep.
Bladerunner, however, was a classic.
When I was younger, I loved The Heart of Darkness. But after re-reading it a couple of years ago, I found it too mechanical (perhaps I was having a bad day).
Apocalypse Now, on the other hand, is a tough movie to beat.

ian_madden
07-28-2010, 01:08 AM
The Exorcist
Jaws
The Shining

NO WAY!!!!!!! The Exorcist book was AMAZING! I read it in 1 sitting, and at the time was not much of a reader. Much scarier than the movie.

Roy Tucker
07-28-2010, 12:08 PM
Bridge to Terabithia. An absolute clinic on how to turn a childhood fantasy type book into a film. Didn't hurt that the screenplay writer was the book author's son, and inspiration for the lead character. But still, a good book...but an excellent movie.

Funny, I saw that movie on a flight out to the west coast. I thought it was going to be just a typical blah airplane movie so I started watching it with one eye and not a whole lot of attention. But I soon became enthralled with it and it just roped me in.

When the movie ended, I was sitting there with tears coming down my face and hoping nobody noticed. Ever since then, it's been one of those "you have to see this" kinds of movie to me.