PDA

View Full Version : Votto: “I don’t like the Cubs”

OnBaseMachine
07-14-2010, 11:58 AM
Awesome quote from Joey Votto:

Not every National League All-Star was firmly in Byrd’s corner after the victory. Cincinnati’s Joey Votto had a different take on Byrd’s performance.

“I don’t like the Cubs,” Votto said. “And I’m not going to pat anybody with a Cubs uniform on the back. But because he made that really cool play, it turned out to be a really cool experience. I’m really glad we got the win today.”

With the Reds in first place at the break, the irony would be that Byrd’s at-bat and great throw may help Votto and his team end up with home-field advantage if Cincinnati makes it to the World Series.

http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/cubs/post/_/id/1474/byrd-helps-nl-with-bat-glove

I LOVE that. I gained even more respect for Joey Votto today.

Brutus
07-14-2010, 12:00 PM
From his lips to our ears...

CarolinaRedleg
07-14-2010, 12:05 PM
As if we needed another reason to like Votto....

:beerme:

HotCorner
07-14-2010, 12:08 PM
Thanks Joey for my new sig!

durl
07-14-2010, 12:18 PM
There's a new mayor in town, and his name is Joey Votto.

Chip R
07-14-2010, 12:21 PM
Problem is, as much as we may dislike it, we may have to end up rooting for the Cubs since they have to play StL several more times. :(

reds1869
07-14-2010, 12:27 PM
Joey Votto is a true Red! He seems to really love and appreciate the organization for the way they've stood by him and I hope he retires in a Cincinnati uniform.

max venable
07-14-2010, 12:27 PM
Problem is, as much as we may dislike it, we may have to end up rooting for the Cubs since they have to play StL several more times. :(

That's not a problem. We don't like the Cards either. We won't be rooting for the Cubs to win, we'll be rooting for the Cards to lose.

I love me some Votto. :)

RedsManRick
07-14-2010, 12:32 PM
Votto feels like Rolen 2.0.

HeatherC1212
07-14-2010, 12:39 PM

Don't root for the Cubs to win...you're rooting for the Cardinals to lose. :p:

I heart Joey but that statement probably doesn't shock anyone here. ;) :luvu:

Raisor
07-14-2010, 12:46 PM

Dislikes: The Cubs.

HotCorner
07-14-2010, 01:14 PM
OBM and RedsZone got a shoutout ...

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/

hebroncougar
07-14-2010, 01:16 PM
He should be signed to a lifetime deal, just for that quote.

REDblooded
07-14-2010, 01:20 PM
Somebody sign this guy longterm...

SirFelixCat
07-14-2010, 01:21 PM
As if we needed another reason to like Votto....

:thumbup:

RichRed
07-14-2010, 01:24 PM
Votto:RichRed::Javy:ChipR

I love that wacky Canadian.

smith288
07-14-2010, 01:27 PM
I like the simplicity. "I dont like the cubs". I miss that type of animosity between players of rival teams. Too much buddy buddy bull these days.

LoganBuck
07-14-2010, 01:40 PM
I love me Joey Votto.

Homer Bailey
07-14-2010, 01:40 PM
At lunch, I had ESPN radio on here in Chicago. His audio clip was actually used during the Sportscenter update at 12:20. I guess there isn't much to talk about around Chicago these days, but is this really that big of a deal??

LvJ
07-14-2010, 01:52 PM
Perfect!

TheNext44
07-14-2010, 02:28 PM
OBM and RedsZone got a shoutout ...

Welcome to the new world order.

Johnny Footstool
07-14-2010, 02:36 PM
Bulletin board fodder.

I love Votto, but why give the Cubs anything to rally around?

RichRed
07-14-2010, 02:39 PM
Bulletin board fodder.

Normally I'd agree but man, this is just too beautiful.

membengal
07-14-2010, 02:41 PM
I still hate the Cardinals more.

cumberlandreds
07-14-2010, 02:45 PM
Votto just became god-like on RZ. :)

Degenerate39
07-14-2010, 02:46 PM
Bulletin board fodder.

So they kill the Cards

Redsfan320
07-14-2010, 02:47 PM
I still hate the Cardinals more.

I can't say I hate the Cards more than the Cubs. My order of MLB hatred:

1. Yankees
2. Cubs
3. Cards

membengal
07-14-2010, 02:54 PM
Cards have what the Reds want. Cards have pretty much ruled the division for a decade. Cards are run by the loathsome Tony LaRussa. Cards have some uber-hateable players who won't shut it, Carpenter, Rasmus, Pujols, etc. Living in Memphis for 12 years before moving, I became sadly too acquainted with just how much entitlement your average Cardinals fan carries around. Let's just say, a LOT.

I also don't like the Cubs, but the Cardinals? Now THAT is a team that tees me off.

ETA: But I am delighted to hear Joey say that. I don't like players being too chummy with the "enemy".

Nasty_Boy
07-14-2010, 02:55 PM
Didn't anybody else take this as Votto using a little dry humor to poke some fun at Byrd and the media? I'm sure he's not a fan of the Cubs (or other teams) but he seemed like he was playing to the crowd. I think it's great that he said it because I hate the Cubs, but this didn't seem like anything more than a joke among players.

MrCinatit
07-14-2010, 03:04 PM
Votto may have automatically become the team MVP.

Ghosts of 1990
07-14-2010, 03:05 PM

Dislikes: The Cubs.

ROFL

I wonder why he hates the Cubs so bad?

TheNext44
07-14-2010, 03:18 PM
ROFL

I would only wonder if he didn't hate the Cubs so bad.

LoganBuck
07-14-2010, 03:24 PM
ROFL

Allow me to waste the rest of your day.

http://www.cubssuckclub.com/

Ghosts of 1990
07-14-2010, 03:36 PM

I know why I hate the Cubs, and their grand-standing, bitter, delusional, right-to-entitlement for nothing, come into our house and throw wrappers everywhere fans.....

But when a player like Votto who is pretty vanilla on and off the field says this, I'm wondering what has happened here? Seems like there's some legit bad blood for him to speak out like that.

traderumor
07-14-2010, 03:38 PM
That explains why Votto was not in the middle of the outfielder jump bump last night between rival teams. Of course, the three who were are on losing teams....hmmmmmmmmm

When I saw that quote, all I could think of is Pete saying something like that about the Dodgers back in the day, when fraternization was still a no-no. Refreshing just from the aspect of I would not be surprised to see Bud implement the Little League "good game, good game, good game, good game" line after games.

Chip R
07-14-2010, 03:44 PM
ROFL

Perhaps the fans got a little too personal for him when it came to the troubles he had last year.

HeatherC1212
07-14-2010, 03:47 PM
I know why I hate the Cubs, and their grand-standing, bitter, delusional, right-to-entitlement for nothing, come into our house and throw wrappers everywhere fans.....

But when a player like Votto who is pretty vanilla on and off the field says this, I'm wondering what has happened here? Seems like there's some legit bad blood for him to speak out like that.

Didn't the Cubs clinch the NL Central here in Cincy back in 2007 when Joey first came up to the Reds that fall? I can see watching those guys be all snotty and giddy about heading the postseason during that last series of the season having some sort of effect on a young player. That's just my theory though. I agree that something could have triggered it for Joey but I still love that he hates the Cubs. It must be why he's hit most of his HRs against them, LOL :laugh:

Strikes Out Looking
07-14-2010, 03:52 PM
That explains why Votto was not in the middle of the outfielder jump bump last night between rival teams. Of course, the three who were are on losing teams....hmmmmmmmmm

When I saw that quote, all I could think of is Pete saying something like that about the Dodgers back in the day, when fraternization was still a no-no. Refreshing just from the aspect of I would not be surprised to see Bud implement the Little League "good game, good game, good game, good game" line after games.

Fraternization was a no-no? IIRC, Pete and Ray Fosse were together the night before Pete pretty much ended Fosse's career.

By the way, I'd bet if it was a Cardinal that was being asked about, Votto would have made a similar statement about that team.

Buckle your seat belts, boys and girls, we are in for quite a ride the next few months...

HeatherC1212
07-14-2010, 04:07 PM
Article on Yahoo about the Joey Votto Cubs comment (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/blog/big_league_stew/post/Reds-Votto-dislikes-Cubs-disses-All-Star-teamm?urn=mlb,256004)

Thought you guys might want to read this although I think this writer is the one who comes off sounding like a massive tool. :eek: He also might want to remember that Pujols, Howard, AND Gonzalez all went 0-fer in the game too, not just Joey. What an idiot.

OnBaseMachine
07-14-2010, 04:09 PM
Perhaps the fans got a little too personal for him when it came to the troubles he had last year.

I was thinking the same thing. Cubs fans have no problem crossing the line. If you tear you're ACL on the warning track they'll throw beer on you.

KittyDuran
07-14-2010, 04:14 PM
Fraternization was a no-no? IIRC, Pete and Ray Fosse were together the night before Pete pretty much ended Fosse's career.
I believe that's true - but I always believed it meant on the field fraternizing.

Redsfan320
07-14-2010, 04:30 PM
You think the Yahoo! article Heather posted was bad, check out the "how he is" link near the bottom of the article. It's an interview from Arpil '09. Man.

Hoosier Red
07-14-2010, 04:33 PM
Didn't anybody else take this as Votto using a little dry humor to poke some fun at Byrd and the media? I'm sure he's not a fan of the Cubs (or other teams) but he seemed like he was playing to the crowd. I think it's great that he said it because I hate the Cubs, but this didn't seem like anything more than a joke among players.

Just in case everyone taking this so serious didn't get it the first time.

From the other article, Joey thinks Brandon Phillips loves himself too much so we should probably trade him before he becomes a cancer. :p:

Pretty sure it was a joke.

traderumor
07-14-2010, 04:35 PM
By the way, I'd bet if it was a Cardinal that was being asked about, Votto would have made a similar statement about that team.

Buckle your seat belts, boys and girls, we are in for quite a ride the next few months...As Kitty pointed out, I was talking about on-field fraternization rules. Different time, different place. They really didn't have to be enforced pre-free agency as players identified with their organization as more than the current source of their multi-million dollar paycheck and hatred between opponents was commonplace---not that there's anything wrong with that ;)

bucksfan2
07-14-2010, 04:38 PM
I was thinking the same thing. Cubs fans have no problem crossing the line. If you tear you're ACL on the warning track they'll throw beer on you.

Didn't some Reds fans do that to Jr on the warning track when he busted up his shoulder?

11larkin11
07-14-2010, 04:39 PM
We hate the Cubs because of the fans.
We hate the Cards because of the team and the manager.

First words out of Jocketty's mouth this winter when discussing a long term deal- "You get to play the Cubs every year, multiple times a year."

Hoosier Red
07-14-2010, 04:41 PM
You think the Yahoo! article Heather posted was bad, check out the "how he is" link near the bottom of the article. It's an interview from Arpil '09. Man.

It's the same writer. I think the writer does(or did) those "answer man" columns trying to be funny. Votto's admittedly a little bit uptight but man those questions were stupid. Not even funny stupid, but just stupid.

To be fair, the PR guy from the Reds should have done some homework and given Joey a little heads up to let him know what to expect. Joey was like the poor guy who gets interviewed on the Daily Show and is very earnest in his issue where the Daily Show guy is editing it to make him look stupid.

KronoRed
07-14-2010, 04:42 PM
Didn't some Reds fans do that to Jr on the warning track when he busted up his shoulder?

Indeed, some even posted here that they felt he was dogging it :thumbdown

camisadelgolf

http://www.cubssuckclub.com/cubs-suck-news/scott-rolen-tells-cubs-suck/
Interesting tidbit from that site:

The Cubs are very limited facility-wise and that dramatically limits the work the players can do day to day. The clubhouse and weight room are significantly below par. They play a different schedule than everybody else in baseball. The day games are very hard to deal with day after day. Plus, when you have so many different starting times from 1:20 to 12:05 to 7:05 then play mostly all night games when you go on the road, I think the Cubs have their back against the wall.

Ghosts of 1990
Article on Yahoo about the Joey Votto Cubs comment (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/blog/big_league_stew/post/Reds-Votto-dislikes-Cubs-disses-All-Star-teamm?urn=mlb,256004)

Thought you guys might want to read this although I think this writer is the one who comes off sounding like a massive tool. :eek: He also might want to remember that Pujols, Howard, AND Gonzalez all went 0-fer in the game too, not just Joey. What an idiot.

Let me shed you a little light on the background of this story.

David Brown also wrote the 'post' on Votto for Yahoo a year or so ago before the 2009 season started.

It's here: http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/blog/big_league_stew/post/Answer-Man-Joey-Votto-talks-bowling-mustaches-?urn=mlb,158587

I know the editor of Big League Stew, Kevin Kaduk.

Basically, Brown who wrote the Cubs story today was looking to get back at Joey Votto because last year when he wrote answer man and asked some inapropriate questions about Joey's family including his father the team's media department came down VERY hard on Brown from Big League Stew (who is a clutz of a writer) and basically said 'that's it, no more interviews from outside the organization'.

I'm almost sure the article written today was to scald Votto for this, as if you look in the comments of the Answer Man story, many fans gave David Brown the business and rightfully so for his childish and inapropriate interview of a baseball player.

bucksfan2
07-14-2010, 04:43 PM
Indeed, some even posted here that they felt he was dogging it :thumbdown

Its the old "don't throw stones if you live in a glass house" thing. Cubs fans are the pits but you have your share of idiot fans everywhere.

HeatherC1212
07-14-2010, 04:45 PM

I took it more that way too although I can't stand the Cubs so I loved it no matter how he intended it. :p:

Does anyone else want to know what question Joey was even asked that elicited this response? The fact that ESPN.com left that part off their article (and the fact that the media loves to build people up only to tear them down later) leads me to believe there's more to this conversation than just Joey's comments. Hmmmm.....

Cedric
07-14-2010, 04:47 PM
I wrote the guy a short email about his lack of class here. The guy completely loses respect not for this opinion, but because he is holding some child like grudge against Joey.

HeatherC1212
07-14-2010, 04:49 PM
Let me shed you a little light on the background of this story.

David Brown also wrote the 'post' on Votto for Yahoo a year or so ago before the 2009 season started.

It's here: http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/blog/big_league_stew/post/Answer-Man-Joey-Votto-talks-bowling-mustaches-?urn=mlb,158587

I know the editor of Big League Stew, Kevin Kaduk.

Basically, Brown who wrote the Cubs story today was looking to get back at Joey Votto because last year when he wrote answer man and asked some inapropriate questions about Joey's family including his father the team's media department came down VERY hard on Brown from Big League Stew (who is a clutz of a writer) and basically said 'that's it, no more interviews from outside the organization'.

I'm almost sure the article written today was to scald Votto for this, as if you look in the comments of the Answer Man story, many fans gave David Brown the business and rightfully so for his childish and inapropriate interview of a baseball player.

Thanks for the background information. I wasn't a fan of that interview last year because he did make Joey look bad along with being just a stupid interview overall. Knowing now that Joey wasn't dealing with the death of father very well at the time, the interview looks even more foolish and it wouldn't surprise me if he never gets to talk to anyone close to the Reds organization again (if he even has since then). What a tool. :thumbdown

Ghosts of 1990
07-14-2010, 04:49 PM
If you guys read my post.... it's 100% dating back to that. Brown caught a ton of heat for that interview.... this is landing a few cheap, parting shots.

HeatherC1212
07-14-2010, 04:54 PM
Interesting to note that the Votto potshot 'article' isn't on the front part of the MLB page at Yahoo anymore. It was posted there earlier today. I wouldn't be surprised to find out that he got into trouble for this article too. That's beyond childish to be so angry and hold someone else responsible for your poor interviewing and writing skills.

BCubb2003
07-14-2010, 04:59 PM
Votto's just working on loving himself.

Blitz Dorsey
07-14-2010, 06:35 PM
Yet another thing I have in common with Joey Votto.

(I also have great looks and the ability to win NL MVP. Oh, and I'm Canadian. OK, none of that is true. But I can honestly say I don't like the Cubs! 1908!!!)

RedsManRick
07-14-2010, 06:50 PM
I get where the guy is coming from, but he needs to pick up on the cues. Votto just isn't a random-humor kind of guy. You guys didn't jive. Got it. He came across as an amateur blogger, not somebody (presumably) being paid by Yahoo.

Blitz Dorsey
07-14-2010, 06:53 PM
I just flamed the hell out of David Brown in the comments section of his pathetic "article" on Votto. Votto is also getting some flack in the comments section, but most of the people (like me) are ripping Brown for being a complete hack.

kaldaniels
07-14-2010, 09:11 PM
yahoo.com

Talk about a mountain out of a molehill.

Brutus
07-14-2010, 09:18 PM
I get where the guy is coming from, but he needs to pick up on the cues. Votto just isn't a random-humor kind of guy. You guys didn't jive. Got it. He came across as an amateur blogger, not somebody (presumably) being paid by Yahoo.

That's how I see it. It wasn't a bad interview, but it was awkward and when he realized Votto wasn't comfortable with the line of questioning, it's his job to take that into account and start with a different approach. Badgering him and trying to get him to be funnier when he doesn't want to be (much less adding critical commentary to the story) doesn't do anything to help the situation.

KoryMac5
07-14-2010, 10:10 PM
Brown = JackWagon

Redsfan320
07-14-2010, 10:12 PM
Brown = JackWagon

:thumbup: Nice commercial reference. I couldn't agree more.

Ghosts of 1990
07-14-2010, 11:06 PM
Brown is an odd duck.

Captain Hook
07-15-2010, 02:27 AM
I can't imagine that Joey not liking the Cubs hurts baseball one bit.I'm sure if Byrd needed a hand to save his life Joey would be first in line to help but on the baseball field guys wearing shirts that stupid C with a bear in the middle are not liked by Reds fans and some Reds players as well.So what?

The article bashing Joey is such a joke.I can't help but to be totally disgusted by it.I only good thing I can say is that Votto is quickly becoming one of the most talked about Reds(because of what he has done with the Reds) in a long time.

Ron Madden
07-15-2010, 03:48 AM
A tempest in a tea pot? I'd say so.

I believe Joey's comments were made tongue in cheek and I have no doubt Marlon Byrd understands that. I do enjoy the fact Votto's quote upset some Cub Fans.

Some members of RZ were just as upset with a pair of Cards, Lopez and Waynewright for doing nothing more than expressing confidence in their club.

GAC
07-15-2010, 04:07 AM
Bulletin board fodder.

My sentiments exactly. I can't stand the Cubs, but it's somewhat different from a player's perspective. No problem with him, or any player, hating another team, but don't try to draw too much attention to yourself over it publicly. The fans might give it a thumbs up, but a player may want to be a little more cautious about airing their sentiment.

They were on the SAME TEAM for one brief night, with the same objective, and Byrd was instrumental in helping our beloved NL get a win (finally).

RichRed
07-15-2010, 09:38 AM
I just got an email from a Cubs fan friend of mine, with the article by Brown attached, and the subject line "Bush League!" He expressed hope that I would condemn Votto's despicable act.

Needless to say, that's not exactly what I did. I did condemn the writer's despicable article though.

Cubs fans. Get real.

Redsfan320
07-15-2010, 10:00 AM
^^^
RichRed, I hope you really set this guy straight. The only thing "Bush League!" here is David Brown (the writer).

Blitz Dorsey
07-15-2010, 10:28 AM
I just got an email from a Cubs fan friend of mine, with the article by Brown attached, and the subject line "Bush League!" He expressed hope that I would condemn Votto's despicable act.

Needless to say, that's not exactly what I did. I did condemn the writer's despicable article though.

Cubs fans. Get real.

Your reply should have consisted of four characters: 1908

RichRed
07-15-2010, 10:49 AM
Your reply should have consisted of four characters: 1908

I've done exactly that many times but I felt this particular occasion called for a few extra words of edification. I tell ya, educating Cubs fans is a full time job. I oughta get paid for it.

RedLegSuperStar
07-15-2010, 01:19 PM
Congrats OBM for making John Fays blog!

reds44
07-15-2010, 01:26 PM
Am I the only one who didn't like this a lot? Just seemed petty to me, and I hate the Cubs as much as anyone.

IowaRed
07-15-2010, 01:27 PM
My sentiments exactly. I can't stand the Cubs, but it's somewhat different from a player's perspective. No problem with him, or any player, hating another team, but don't try to draw too much attention to yourself over it publicly. The fans might give it a thumbs up, but a player may want to be a little more cautious about airing their sentiment.

They were on the SAME TEAM for one brief night, with the same objective, and Byrd was instrumental in helping our beloved NL get a win (finally).

well said. I apprecitate the sentiment from Votto, I really do, very few people hate the Cubs, their fans, and their former players and managers more than I do. If it was a joke then great, but if he was serious there really isn't any need to make that public

fearofpopvol1
07-15-2010, 01:46 PM
This story is now on espn.com

http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/mlb/news/story?id=5382724

OnBaseMachine
07-15-2010, 01:47 PM
ESPN updated the story with this:

Asked why he has such disdain for the Cubs, Votto said: "We are Cincinnati Reds. We're taught to hate everything in the Central Division. That's just how it is."

http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/mlb/news/story?id=5382724&campaign=rss&source=MLBHeadlines

Blitz Dorsey
07-15-2010, 01:54 PM
I like it. It's an old-school ballplayer's mentality. No politically correct BS. You are not friends with your enemies just because you happen to play on the same team one night in an exhibition game. Someone like Brandon Phillips can be friends with the other guys, that's fine. But that's not Joey Votto's personality and I don't have a problem with it at all. In fact, I like it. It's refreshing.

I know most everyone is so accustomed to hearing PC BS all the time that honesty might shock them, but thanks Joey Votto for saying exactly how you feel. I'm sure Derek Jeter feels the same way about Red Sox players. But Jeter is such a fake that he would never say it. Jeter is too worried about his image. Joey Votto doesn't give a damn about his image -- just winning and playing well. (And I know Jeter isn't the best example since he also cares about winning, but Jeter is highly fake, no question about. Course, you kind of have to be in NYC, I get that.)

reds1869
07-15-2010, 02:28 PM
Joey Votto doesn't give a damn about his image -- just winning and playing well.

That is why Joey is perfect for this town. Fans here appreciate his honesty and loyalty to the club. If fans of other teams hate him and start to really hate the Reds, so much the better; no one hates you when you're losing!

CTA513
07-15-2010, 02:39 PM
MLB, ESPN and lots of other people feed us this rivalry stuff all the time so it shouldn't be this big of a deal when a player says something like this.

Vottos attitude towards the Cubs is starting to remind me of Houshmanzadehs attitude towards the Steelers. :D

The Operator
07-15-2010, 02:40 PM
Wow, that David Brown guy needs to get a life.

I have a feeling Votto's comments were a bit tongue in cheek, but either way... they're awesome. He is the perfect guy to build this franchise around.

The Operator
07-15-2010, 02:41 PM
Vottos attitude towards the Cubs is starting to remind me of Houshmanzadehs attitude towards the Steelers. :D

Let's hope Joey doesn't end up doing what TJ did, though.

reds44
07-15-2010, 02:43 PM
Honest question: what would the reaction be if Phillips said this?

Even better question, what if Phillips said what Arroyo said?

reds1869
07-15-2010, 02:48 PM

My reaction would be pretty much the same.

Ghosts of 1990
07-15-2010, 02:48 PM
Votto declares it's us against the world.... he earns a lot of points in my book for this.

Joey, if you're not a Red for your whole career.... I'll be disappointed.

The Operator
07-15-2010, 02:49 PM

What, exactly, are you implying?

reds44
07-15-2010, 02:53 PM
What, exactly, are you implying?
You know exactly what I'm implying. I don't know if it's racial (I'm not saying it is), or what, but players like Votto and Arroyo get a benefit of the doubt that Phillips doesn't. I don't know why that is, but that's definatley how it is.

The Operator
07-15-2010, 02:59 PM
Arroyo has been raked over the coals many times on this board for his outspoken ways as well as his night life and musical career.

The Votto debates have been so heated that talking about his personal life has pretty much been outlawed around here.

I'd say most of the criticisms of Phillips have stemmed from his, up to this year, tendencies to be a hacker at the plate. As a good number of Redszoners and baseball fans in general are becoming more concerned with OBP and OPS, Phillips has taken a lot of heat about his plate approach and especially when he was in the 4 hole. He's having a great year this year, and it seems that the criticisms have pretty much dried up. Seems like typical baseball fandom to me.

TheNext44
07-15-2010, 03:00 PM
You know exactly what I'm implying. I don't know if it's racial (I'm not saying it is), or what, but players like Votto and Arroyo get a benefit of the doubt that Phillips doesn't. I don't know why that is, but that's definatley how it is.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I know I react differently to Phillips and his antics than to Votto and Arroyo because Phillips' antics sometimes are the kind that can cost the Reds games. When Votto makes dumb plays, I'm on him as hard as I am on Phillips.

As for what any of them say, it's all just for amusement, imo.

Phillips really seems to have changed, which I was skeptical of at first. However, now that he seems to more focused and driven this year, I'm starting to cut him more slack.

reds44
07-15-2010, 03:03 PM
There were people here who didn't like Phillips pounding his chest after running over the catcher and scoring a run for the Reds earlier this year, because they thought he was "drawing attention to himself instead of the team."

What do you call this?

And I'm not trying to single anyone out. I'm sure there are plenty of people who don't have the double standard (for lack a better term), but it definatley exists.

reds1869
07-15-2010, 03:06 PM
There were people here who didn't like Phillips pounding his chest after running over the catcher and scoring a run for the Reds earlier this year, because they thought he was "drawing attention to himself instead of the team."

What do you call this?

And I'm not trying to single anyone out. I'm sure there are plenty of people who don't have the double standard (for lack a better term), but it definatley exists.

If I had to guess, most folks are pretty consistent in their views. But the comparison to Phillips chest pounding is a little unfair, as it was in the run of play. I personally appreciate any show of enthusiasm by Reds players.

The Operator
07-15-2010, 03:06 PM
There are also plenty of people on this thread who aren't a big fan of what Votto said about The Cubs. Again, 99% of player criticisms are about performance and they only get worse if the team is losing.

Phillips is having a great year and The Reds are winning. Like magic, he's getting a lot more slack around here. Seriously, his antics are a lot easier to take in a 10-3 win than a 10-3 loss.

reds1869
07-15-2010, 03:07 PM
There are also plenty of people on this thread who aren't a big fan of what Votto said about The Cubs. Again, 99% of player criticisms are about performance and they only get worse if the team is losing.

Phillips is having a great year and The Reds are winning. Like magic, he's getting a lot more slack around here. Seriously, his antics are a lot easier to take in a 10-3 win than a 10-3 loss.

Ochocinco is perfect proof of this. Last year when the Bengals were winning folks enjoyed his silliness. When they were losing the previous year, not so much. Winning heals all wounds.

TheNext44
07-15-2010, 03:08 PM

What do you call this?

Personally, I loved that, and thought it was a defining moment that showed Phillips' passion was back. My biggest issue with him was that he wasn't as driven to win as others. I could be wrong, but that was the impression I got.

Him pounding his chest, to me, was a sign that he was now as driven as anyone to win. I loved it, and hope that attitude continues.

westofyou
07-15-2010, 03:08 PM
This just in Votto also doesn't like coconut.

reds44
07-15-2010, 03:09 PM
If I had to guess, most folks are pretty consistent in their views. But the comparison to Phillips chest pounding is a little unfair, as it was in the run of play. I personally appreciate any show of enthusiasm by Reds players.
I don't think it's unfair. Phillips was celebrating after he actually did something positive for the Reds, scoring a run. This? This is just Votto running his mouth.

For the record, I really don't have a problem what Votto or Arroyo said, or what Phillips did. If Votto wants to talk, I think he should go for it. I just think the reaction on here would be a lot different if it was Phillips.

For entertainment purposes:
http://northsidebaseball.com/forum/topic?f=2&t=57880

reds44
07-15-2010, 03:09 PM
Personally, I loved that, and thought it was a defining moment that showed Phillips' passion was back. My biggest issue with him was that he wasn't as driven to win as others. I could be wrong, but that was the impression I got.

Him pounding his chest, to me, was a sign that he was now as driven as anyone to win. I loved it, and hope that attitude continues.
Well, we agree lol

CTA513
07-15-2010, 03:13 PM
Ochocinco is perfect proof of this. Last year when the Bengals were winning folks enjoyed his silliness. When they were losing the previous year, not so much. Winning heals all wounds.

#85 had to do a lot of work to get fans to like him again after how he acted.
It wasn't just win and we'll like you, hes been doing a bunch of stuff to try and win the fans back.

RedsManRick
07-15-2010, 03:14 PM
When do the games start again?

reds1869
07-15-2010, 03:21 PM
For entertainment purposes:
http://northsidebaseball.com/forum/topic?f=2&t=57880

"Why do people hate the Cubs so much? I don't understand!" :D

This in the same thread where one of the posters calls Cincinnati a stupid redneck town.

Raisor
07-15-2010, 03:33 PM
This just in Votto also doesn't like coconut.

OK, now we're getting a good long list.

Dislikes: The Cubs, coconut.

Do we know if he likes or dislikes puppies?

westofyou
07-15-2010, 03:54 PM
Do we know if he likes or dislikes puppies?

Just these

bucksfan2
07-15-2010, 03:56 PM

I feel the same way. The day after opening day to me is the worst day in all of sports. The All Star break ranks up there as well. Its especially painful when the Reds get an extra off day after the break.

westofyou
07-15-2010, 04:00 PM

For me tonight, Mets - Giants Little Tim against the man without a ulnar collateral ligament.

A battle of different styles for sure.

fearofpopvol1
07-15-2010, 04:03 PM
You can read what people are saying about the incident here: http://myespn.go.com/s/conversations/show/story/5382724

pretty mixed reactions honestly.

Chip R
07-15-2010, 04:48 PM

It sounds like you are because there were people who liked what he did and people who didn't. Try not to generalize. This would be a very boring board if everyone thought the same way.

traderumor
07-15-2010, 06:49 PM
You can read what people are saying about the incident here: http://myespn.go.com/s/conversations/show/story/5382724

pretty mixed reactions honestly.Wow, more like too many mixed drinks reactions.

mdccclxix
07-15-2010, 07:04 PM
There will be a followup to this story either Friday or during the next time the Reds meet the Cubs.

RedLegSuperStar
07-15-2010, 08:18 PM
I was listening to Lance, and this "I hate the cubs" thing has been blown way out of whack. I think he is trying to pump his team up.. Give them an attitude.. A swagger if you will. This isn't LaRoach from the Pirates making these comments. Votto has never came off as a bad guy or a cancer or a leech. The Reds and Cubs have a heated rivalry. These beat writers and anchor numb skulls need to do their research. I'm glad Joey said that.. I've talked to many of people and they were estatic with joy that he said that. All except a cubs fan.. She wants to kill Joey. I laugh... Stupid Cubs fans. ;)

Stephenk29
07-15-2010, 09:03 PM
Mind boggling that this made the news feed. If a Yankee says this about the Sox the reporters don't even think twice about it. Does everyone suspect division rivals to be friendly?

Blitz Dorsey
07-15-2010, 10:18 PM
Umm, I'm not sure if this has been mentioned quite enough in this particular thread:

1908!!!

paintmered
07-15-2010, 10:39 PM
http://farfalle1.files.wordpress.com/2009/03/goat.jpg

RedLegSuperStar
07-15-2010, 11:14 PM
by the way.. Byrd has come out and said that Votto's comment was competitively driven.. so if Byrd has no hard feelings.. then no one else should.

OnBaseMachine
07-16-2010, 01:28 AM
"I don't think he likes the Cardinals either," Lou Piniella said of Votto. "I think it's more an [intradivision] thing."

Byrd's response?

"That's the competitiveness of Joey Votto," Byrd said. "He's an MVP candidate right now, he's going to say what he believes. But at the same time, I don't think any Cub is going to be patting anyone on the Cincinnati Reds on the back during the season. They're the ones in first place and we're chasing them. We're going to have to come after them hard."

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20100715&content_id=12262802&notebook_id=12266732&vkey=notebook_chc&fext=.jsp&c_id=chc

Ron Madden
07-16-2010, 04:01 AM
I do see a double standard here but it's not racial.

The difference between the comments made by Votto, Lopez and Waynewright this past week have been overblown by many here at RZ.

Many members here flamed on Lopez and Waynewright for nothing more than hyping their team, but love Joey's comments. Not sure if it's a football mentality or just the element of talking smack on the Internet. I read the comments made by all three of these men and moved on.

I can only imagine the uproar here if Albert Pujols, David Lee or Prince Fielder said they don't like the Reds.

(put down the torches and pitchforks. I Love Joey Votto.) ;)

RFS62
07-16-2010, 06:59 AM
http://farfalle1.files.wordpress.com/2009/03/goat.jpg

Cedric
07-16-2010, 09:47 AM
I do see a double standard here but it's not racial.

The difference between the comments made by Votto, Lopez and Waynewright this past week have been overblown by many here at RZ.

Many members here flamed on Lopez and Waynewright for nothing more than hyping their team, but love Joey's comments. Not sure if it's a football mentality or just the element of talking smack on the Internet. I read the comments made by all three of these men and moved on.

I can only imagine the uproar here if Albert Pujols, David Lee or Prince Fielder said they don't like the Reds.

(put down the torches and pitchforks. I Love Joey Votto.) ;)

Personally I don't care what a NBA player says about the Reds..

:)

OnBaseMachine
07-16-2010, 03:52 PM
From John Fay's twitter:

Votto on Cubs comment: I was joking. I knew it a Chicago reporter. I was laughing when I said it. I respect a the Cubs players. #reds

http://twitter.com/johnfayman

reds44
07-16-2010, 04:07 PM

“That being said, I respect all the Chicago Cub players. They’re some of the most professional in the game. I don’t have a problem with any of the Chicago guys. I enjoy playing against them. I just don’t like their fans. I can’t stand hearing that ‘Go Cubs Go’ song.

“You can watch the video,” he said. “I gave Marlon a high 5 and patted him on the back. I was one of the first guys to congratulation him in Chicago when he was picked for All-Star team. It certainly has nothing to do with the players. If ask the players, I’m perfectly nice to them and professional on the field.

“It was a laughing, spur-of-the-moment thing. Just because we’re in that setting for one day that all of the sudden we’re super close and we’re tight. We’re still competing.”

Sounds like he feels the same way we all do.

fearofpopvol1
07-16-2010, 04:36 PM
C Trent wrote a good article (better than Fay's in my opinion) about this:

http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/22297882/23217208?tag=comBlogEntryListCnt;entry23217208

Votto traces his Cub-dislike to 2007, when he was called up in September and watched the Cubs celebrate a division title at Great American Ball Park in Cincinnati.

"I still remember that now, I remember them looking at the scoreboard and Cubs fans cheering and everyone in the stands wearing blue," Votto said. "I still remember that and it meant a lot to me. I guess I should probably let it go, but I'm not an easy forgiver."

camisadelgolf
07-16-2010, 04:37 PM
Wow, what a shocker. I thought for sure Votto wanted to spill the blood of every individual affiliated with the Cubs and concoct a formula that would plague the fans for generations to come.

Brutus
07-16-2010, 04:41 PM
Wow, what a shocker. I thought for sure Votto wanted to spill the blood of every individual affiliated with the Cubs and concoct a formula that would plague the fans for generations to come.

If his diabolical plan consisted of such heathen behavior, I'm certain he would not publicly divulge such intentions :cool:

traderumor
07-16-2010, 04:42 PM
This whole thing belongs on an episode of the Suite Life of Zack and Cody.

fearofpopvol1
07-16-2010, 04:48 PM
C Trent wrote a good article (better than Fay's in my opinion) about this:

http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/22297882/23217208?tag=comBlogEntryListCnt;entry23217208

I do think refusing to sign for a kid because he's a Cubs fan is pretty lame though.

Nasty_Boy
07-16-2010, 04:53 PM
Stuff that gets overblown like this is the reason that some guys can't stand the media... When I originally heard the quote there was no doubt in my mind that Votto was just having fun with the reporter and with Byrd. David Brown is a sorry excuse for a journalist!

reds1869
07-16-2010, 04:58 PM
Joey hates Cubs fans? Why would anyone hate us Cubs fans? I don't understand! Waaaaaah! Those rednecks in Cincinnati are picking on me! I can't believe I drove all the way from Colerain--er, I mean Chicago to see "my" team play and have to be disrespected like that!

Sorry, just wanted to see how it felt to be a Cubs poser. :D

Chip R
07-16-2010, 05:01 PM
I do think refusing to sign for a kid because he's a Cubs fan is pretty lame though.

Kid has to learn early that if he's a Cubs fan, he'll be in for a life of disappointment.

CTA513
07-16-2010, 05:02 PM
Kid has to learn early that if he's a Cubs fan, he'll be in for a life of disappointment.

:thumbup:

HeatherC1212
07-16-2010, 05:05 PM
I guess I was right when I said that I thought it might have had something to do with them celebrating their division title on our turf back in 2007. I enjoy being right since it doesn't happen that often! :p: I'm not surprised that it turned out to be a joke but I have to admit that I love it was a Chicago reporter he was talking to because that just makes it even funnier that the reporter didn't get it, LOL :laugh:

And for the record, if I was a famous person who had someone calling me by the wrong name (or not knowing my name at all for that matter), I'd have a hard time signing anything for them either. Mr. Vote-O?? Seriously!? Joey's name isn't that hard to say. I was at an Orioles game a few years ago at Camden Yards and this kid desperately wanted to get Kevin Youkilis' autograph. He never ONCE said, "Mr. Youkilis" or "Youk" or "Kevin"....it was "Hey Mr. First Baseman, can I have your autograph? Mr. First Baseman! Mr. First Baseman?" and he was screaming it rather loudly. I never saw Youk sign an autograph for that kid and the kicker is the kid was a Red Sox fan!! How do you not know your own players?! :laugh:

kaldaniels
07-16-2010, 11:49 PM

I wouldn't have signed if someone was calling me "Mr. Vohto" either.

Man it must be a slow newsweek...the media just won't quit on this.

reds1869
07-16-2010, 11:51 PM
I wouldn't have signed if someone was calling me "Mr. Vohto" either.

Man it must be a slow newsweek...the media just won't quit on this.

A lot of folks really dislike Joey. I'm not entirely sure why, but the ESPN set is leading the charge. Cowherd and his ilk really hammered on him when the fan vote was going on. Oh well, we love him!

Plus Plus
07-16-2010, 11:53 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/mlb/news/story?id=5387492

Votto clarified his remarks Friday, saying he has great respect for the Cubs. He added that he "can't say as much for their fans."

HeatherC1212
07-17-2010, 12:00 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/mlb/news/story?id=5387492

Wow, that article doesn't clarify anything and actually makes Joey look worse than the original information. They really are trying to get the Cubs riled up over nothing at ESPNChicago (note that this is from that website and not normal ESPN). They're really not all that bright, are they? :rolleyes:

reds1869
07-17-2010, 11:07 AM
They're really not all that bright, are they? :rolleyes:

If they were bright they wouldn't be associated with the Cubs.

Raisor
07-17-2010, 11:13 AM
If hating the Cubs is wrong, then I don't want to be right.

Brutus
07-17-2010, 11:16 AM
A lot of folks really dislike Joey. I'm not entirely sure why, but the ESPN set is leading the charge. Cowherd and his ilk really hammered on him when the fan vote was going on. Oh well, we love him!

Any ilk like Cowherd would do such a thing because that's their M.O. They're about controversy and ratings (which usually go hand-in-hand). Cowherd's business model is picking a topic most people are set on one side and he takes the opposite side. Cowherd doesn't even believe half of what he says. He just likes to get people talking. And as much as his name gets referenced - it clearly works.

RFS62
07-17-2010, 11:47 AM
If hating the Cubs is wrong, then I don't want to be right.

Preach on, brother.

Joseph
07-17-2010, 11:50 AM
Any ilk like Cowherd would do such a thing because that's their M.O. They're about controversy and ratings (which usually go hand-in-hand). Cowherd's business model is picking a topic most people are set on one side and he takes the opposite side. Cowherd doesn't even believe half of what he says. He just likes to get people talking. And as much as his name gets referenced - it clearly works.

Exactly correct. Thats what about 99% of sports talk radio has become, just like a lot of things. Its about agitation and ratings than it is intelligent discussion.

Homer Bailey
07-17-2010, 12:19 PM

You're spot on. It still ticks me off when he does it though, so I guess it works.

reds1869
07-17-2010, 12:27 PM
You're spot on. It still ticks me off when he does it though, so I guess it works.

I actually walked out of a hat store in Columbus last week because his show was on and he was ranting about Votto being a "nobody" that plays in a "nothing town" in the "middle of nowhere." I figured if they were dumb enough to play a show that would offend a good portion of their customer base (though they had mostly Cleveland garbage on display) I didn't need to spend my money there. When they asked me why I was leaving, I told them and they looked rather stunned.

kbrake
07-17-2010, 12:34 PM
I love Cowherd mainly because I find him funny. You can't take the guy too serious its all about trying to get ratings. I was just happy to hear the Reds getting mentioned on ESPN I didn't really care what they were saying.

reds1869
07-17-2010, 12:45 PM
I love Cowherd mainly because I find him funny. You can't take the guy too serious its all about trying to get ratings. I was just happy to hear the Reds getting mentioned on ESPN I didn't really care what they were saying.

If I thought he were funny, I would agree with you. But I think he sounds like all of the ignorant alcohol-fueled fratboys I spent my college years trying to avoid. His type of "humor" does nothing for me except make me switch to another station.

Caveat Emperor
07-17-2010, 01:13 PM
As if *I* needed more reason to hate the Cubs, the weak-sauce Cubs online ticketing process screwed me out of Dave Matthews tickets for a Wrigley field show.

Booooooooooooooo....... ;)

Spitball
07-17-2010, 01:13 PM
In June 1967, Eddie Stanky was quoted in the papers as saying, "Carl Yastrzemski is an All Star from the neck down.''

Whew! That quote hung in the locker room the rest of the year, and (in Red Sox lore anyway) is often credited with being the inspiration for their surge that resulted their 1967 World Series appearance. They had not had a winning season in years before the quote.

I sure hope the Cubs don't start focusing.

Tornon
07-17-2010, 01:25 PM
I actually walked out of a hat store in Columbus last week because his show was on and he was ranting about Votto being a "nobody" that plays in a "nothing town" in the "middle of nowhere." I figured if they were dumb enough to play a show that would offend a good portion of their customer base (though they had mostly Cleveland garbage on display) I didn't need to spend my money there. When they asked me why I was leaving, I told them and they looked rather stunned.

The employees actually asked why you were leaving?

reds1869
07-17-2010, 01:29 PM
The employees actually asked why you were leaving?

I know, I found it rather shocking myself. Most of the time they don't even notice I'm there.

Tony Cloninger
07-17-2010, 03:37 PM
The guy is a front runner. Does not like just about anything from Cincinnati.
Roots for the big market teams. Probably drives a red Porsche too.

smith288
07-18-2010, 12:28 PM
I know, I found it rather shocking myself. Most of the time they don't even notice I'm there.
Thats the first time i have ever heard of someone being stopped on why they are leaving an establishment like that. Who does that?

wheels
07-18-2010, 12:40 PM
I love it when players I root for share the same sentiment about other teams.

It adds to the whole "us versus them" thingy.

It's not like Joey Votto kicks puppies. He just has a strong disliking for the opposition.

I hope he adds more fuel to that fire.

reds1869
07-18-2010, 02:27 PM
Thats the first time i have ever heard of someone being stopped on why they are leaving an establishment like that. Who does that?

It is pretty common in small mom and pop types of places, but that was the first time I've ever had it happen at a chain store. Honestly the guy was acting strangely in general.