PDA

View Full Version : Joey hates the Cubs..

Rockermann
07-14-2010, 11:59 AM
I like the competitive spirit, but this might be taking it a bit too far?

“I don’t like the Cubs,” Votto said. “And I’m not going to pat anybody with a Cubs uniform on the back. But because he made that really cool play, it turned out to be a really cool experience. I’m really glad we got the win today.”

http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/cubs/post/_/id/1474/byrd-helps-nl-with-bat-glove

GIDP
07-14-2010, 12:03 PM
Yea time to sign this guy to a life long contract. Seriously 1 year player options till the day he dies.

I dont think he took it too far. He gave him his due, but I'm not going to say he said anything wrong. I'm sure if Byrd was on the Reds tomorrow Joey would give him every high 5 in the world.

markymark69
07-14-2010, 12:43 PM
I'm with Joey. I don't like the Cubs either. Good play by Byrd though, glad the NL won - as it should be.

Moosie52
07-14-2010, 01:15 PM
Who doesn't hate the Cubs?

KOBasinger
07-14-2010, 01:32 PM
Very nice Joey.

That's now my facebook status :thumbup:

Girevik
07-14-2010, 01:35 PM
It's about time the Reds get a real rival. It's been a LONG time since the glory days of the Reds vs. the Dodgers in the NL West.

And yes, I know I just dated myself.

BurgervilleBuck
07-14-2010, 01:37 PM
That Joey Votto is some kind of Man Candy!

sivman17
07-14-2010, 01:39 PM
Joey's the man.

Hey Meat
07-14-2010, 02:42 PM
I love Joey even more now. Awesome!!!

BigPoppa
07-14-2010, 02:44 PM
can't disagree.......but Byrd did make a nifty little play, and seems to be a top shelf guy off the field. Just his misfortune to be a Cub.

sabometrics
07-14-2010, 02:53 PM
Baseball and modern day sports needs more guys who will say this sort of stuff. In an age where superstar basketball players are all lubby dubby instead of being heated rivals and players to their best to play politician, trying to be all things to all people, this is a welcome throwback. We need more guys who are willing to, and embrace being the guy that his fans love and opposing fans love to hate.

I'm glad he's on our side.

BuckWild03
07-14-2010, 03:53 PM
Baseball and modern day sports needs more guys who will say this sort of stuff. In an age where superstar basketball players are all lubby dubby instead of being heated rivals and players to their best to play politician, trying to be all things to all people, this is a welcome throwback. We need more guys who are willing to, and embrace being the guy that his fans love and opposing fans love to hate.

I'm glad he's on our side.

So you want professional sports to be more like college sports? I couldn't agree more.

Think about it. In college football you have Ohio State/Michigan, Texas/Oklahoma, USC/Notre Dame, just to name a few. College basketball you have Duke/North Carolina. These teams along with their fans despise each other and make no secrets about it (at least a couple times a year) and...that's OKAY.

I'm not sure where that good ole fashion heated rivalry gets lost among professional sports, but its part of the reason I enjoy college sports so much more.

Fon Duc Tow
07-14-2010, 04:09 PM
I'm not sure where that good ole fashion heated rivalry gets lost among professional sports,

money.

sabometrics
07-14-2010, 04:10 PM
Look at the Celtics/Lakers series recently. The history behind the matchup, how the players used to just despise each other, wouldn't be seen with each other off the court. All the reasons everyone used to love that rivalry. Now it gets by on media hype alone. Just not quite the same.

Everyone avoids the team vs team conflicts while the individual conflicts within a clubhouse take center stage. Teams more often have too much turmoil between themselves they can't look beyond that unit.

It's good to see this us vs them mentality. Its good to see players that enjoy playing with each other so much that their animosity is focused on their competitors, and hopefully this gives the Reds a leg up on the Cardinals, the Cubs, and the rest of the division going forward.

The Voice of IH
07-14-2010, 04:57 PM
got this off another forum.

YouTube - CHECK HOW MEAN JOEY VOTTO IS TO KIDS!!!!! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nr4HNzZq0z0)

Joey hates cubs fans here as well.

bgwilly31
07-14-2010, 05:36 PM
I like the competitive spirit, but this might be taking it a bit too far?

I dont like the Cubs, Votto said. And Im not going to pat anybody with a Cubs uniform on the back. But because he made that really cool play, it turned out to be a really cool experience. Im really glad we got the win today.

http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/cubs/post/_/id/1474/byrd-helps-nl-with-bat-glove

I dont think anyone agrees with you. lol

But thanks for the link to the quote. Made us all like our boy votto even more.

BakoTheTako
07-14-2010, 05:37 PM
Haha that's awesome. All Cubs fans are terrible whether they're kids or not.

Rockermann
07-14-2010, 06:09 PM
I dont think anyone agrees with you. lol

But thanks for the link to the quote. Made us all like our boy votto even more.

He's my boy too. Can't find a bigger Votto fan than I. But just to be clear, I didn't state my feelings on his quote, I merely posed a question. :)

Reds
07-14-2010, 06:12 PM
Votto decided to keep it real I see. Sounds like something a franchise guy says, hopefully he'll be around for a long time to come.

Reds
07-14-2010, 06:13 PM
He's my boy too. Can't find a bigger Votto fan than I. But just to be clear, I didn't state my feelings on his quote, I merely posed a question. :)

Actually it appears you stated an opinion before the quote. :confused:

BigPoppa
07-14-2010, 06:18 PM
who's that autographing balls at the end of the clip ?

was it Aaron Miles ?

Rockermann
07-14-2010, 06:28 PM
Actually it appears you stated an opinion before the quote. :confused:

Ahh, right you are. I stand corrected. But, my opinion was to the contrary of what bgwilly thought I meant. In fact, it appears most did agree with my competitive spirit comment. :)

jhiller21
07-14-2010, 08:23 PM

YouTube - CHECK HOW MEAN JOEY VOTTO IS TO KIDS!!!!! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nr4HNzZq0z0)

"I don't sign for Cubs fans"

:laugh:

Joey you rule

BLEEDS
07-14-2010, 09:39 PM
About time somebody has some COHONES around here.

That to me just shows he's a competitor, and takes this stuff seriously. I LOVE IT!

PEACE

-BLEEDS

roby
07-14-2010, 09:45 PM
Hail Joey Votto!

BurgervilleBuck
07-14-2010, 11:26 PM
Man, Votto and Marty are going be the two most hated guys in Chicago.

Sean_CaseyRules
07-15-2010, 01:58 AM

"MR. VOTE-O!!! MR. VOTE-O!!!!!!"

Haha....those cubs fans are crazy!!! haha

zjr1717
07-15-2010, 04:42 AM
Good for Joey Votto, sometimes it seems like players from different teams have become to congenial with each other. I like it.

GIDP
07-15-2010, 10:35 AM
"I don't sign for Cubs fans"

:laugh:

Joey you rule

"especially little kids" is what either him or Bruce says when they walk off camera :laugh:

Caveman Techie
07-15-2010, 10:57 AM
Lol, he just moved up the list.

ian_madden
07-15-2010, 01:27 PM

I want my kids to be just like Joey Votto in every way.

Vottomatic
07-15-2010, 05:04 PM
Mr. Vote-O, Mr. Vote-O.......

I'd ignore them too if they didn't know how to pronounce my last name.

foxfire123
07-15-2010, 07:21 PM
I'm torn here. I was raised to be a good sports(wo)man no matter who the other team was. I'm proud of Joey for having the cajones to not be PC and voice his real opinion, that's sadly lacking in our society right now. But I'm also all for showing good sportsmanship too. He did praise the *play*, which is good.

Now, if he'd have said that about the Cardinals, I'd have been cheering, and loudly. All the while cringing at the flack the few Reds fans in this area would be taking! lol!

ETA: Oh and those kids? Mostly likely if they're like the ones I've seen at Cards BP before games? They're getting those balls signed and immediately turning around and selling them to card shop guys. Hubby and I stood and watched about 4 kids repeatedly getting balls signed, then handing them over to some guy for $5-$10 each at the last game we went too at Busch.

BringDownMugabe
07-15-2010, 10:23 PM
I hate the Cubs as much as the next guy, but what's with this rivalry nonsense. Lets be honest here, the Reds haven't had rivals in over twenty years. Sub-par play has made this team non-existent to are competition. We may think we have a rivalry with the Cubs, but rest assured, the Cubs could really care less about the Reds. There rivalry will always be with the Brewers and Cardinals.

The Voice of IH
07-15-2010, 11:30 PM
I hate the Cubs as much as the next guy, but what's with this rivalry nonsense. Lets be honest here, the Reds haven't had rivals in over twenty years. Sub-par play has made this team non-existent to are competition. We may think we have a rivalry with the Cubs, but rest assured, the Cubs could really care less about the Reds. There rivalry will always be with the Brewers and Cardinals.

not if Joey an Co. keep talking like this....plus if the Reds future is as good as it seems. RIVALRY TIME

sivman17
07-16-2010, 12:00 AM
Whether there's a rivalry or not, we and the players can still hate the other division teams... ESPECIALLY the Cubs.

Rockermann
07-16-2010, 08:36 AM
Here's what Byrd's reply was:

"That's the competitiveness of Joey Votto," Byrd said. "He's an MVP candidate right now, he's going to say what he believes. But at the same time, I don't think any Cub is going to be patting anyone on the Cincinnati Reds on the back during the season. They're the ones in first place and we're chasing them. We're going to have to come after them hard."

And Piniella's thoughts:

"I don't think he likes the Cardinals either," Lou Piniella said of Votto. "I think it's more an [intradivision] thing."

Full Article Here (http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20100715&content_id=12262802&notebook_id=12266732&vkey=notebook_chc&fext=.jsp&c_id=chc)

Seems they both had no problem understand what Joey meant.

bounty37h
07-16-2010, 10:21 AM

Cause the Cubs have been so great the last 20 years, or the Brewers?

Rockermann
07-16-2010, 03:58 PM
From a John Fay tweet... "Votto on Cubs comment: I was joking. I knew it [was] a Chicago reporter. I was laughing when I said it. I respect a the Cubs players."

TheOnlyRedsFan
07-16-2010, 07:28 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/blog/big_league_stew/post/Joey-Votto-says-he-was-joking-at-All-Star-game-a?urn=mlb,256541

zjr1717
07-16-2010, 07:54 PM
From a John Fay tweet... "Votto on Cubs comment: I was joking. I knew it [was] a Chicago reporter. I was laughing when I said it. I respect a the Cubs players."

Sadly one can't make even a mildly controversial statement these days without the proverbial clarification or apology. :rolleyes:

BringDownMugabe
07-16-2010, 10:49 PM
Cause the Cubs have been so great the last 20 years, or the Brewers?

The Cubs fan base hasn't faded away into oblivion like the Reds fan base has. And the Cubs, though no championships, have been to the playoffs 4 times since the Reds last went to the playoffs and have been in the contention at the end of the season more times than that.

Milwaukee and Chicago have always had a decent rivalry due to geographical proximity alone. The Brewers have been a pretty solid team for several years now. Sorry, but half a good season doesn't rise a dead franchise from the ground.

bshall2105
07-16-2010, 11:05 PM
The Cubs fan base hasn't faded away into oblivion like the Reds fan base has. And the Cubs, though no championships, have been to the playoffs 4 times since the Reds last went to the playoffs and have been in the contention at the end of the season more times than that.

Milwaukee and Chicago have always had a decent rivalry due to geographical proximity alone. The Brewers have been a pretty solid team for several years now. Sorry, but half a good season doesn't rise a dead franchise from the ground.

It does when you have about 5 starting pitchers under the age of 27 producing at a high level. Or when you have a rising star in Joey Votto. Or when you have a guy in Jay Bruce that is looking better each year. This franchise is out of the ground, with all of the young talent the orginization has in the majors and in the minors other teams in the division should be scared.

BringDownMugabe
07-16-2010, 11:41 PM
It does when you have about 5 starting pitchers under the age of 27 producing at a high level. Or when you have a rising star in Joey Votto. Or when you have a guy in Jay Bruce that is looking better each year. This franchise is out of the ground, with all of the young talent the orginization has in the majors and in the minors other teams in the division should be scared.

Really, so one good half of baseball magically fixes 15 years of nothingness? I'm sure our 23rd ranked attendance (behind Baltimore and Arizona of all teams) figures provide basis for such theories? :rolleyes:

bshall2105
07-16-2010, 11:45 PM
Really, so one good half of baseball magically fixes 15 years of nothingness? I'm sure our 23rd ranked attendance (behind Baltimore and Arizona of all teams) figures provide basis for such theories? :rolleyes:

To me the last 15 years have nothing to do with this one. This is a totally different team, with a totally different mentality. The Reds are for real this year and should be good for a while now, other teams in the division realize that whether the fans do or not.

redssince75
07-17-2010, 12:47 PM

I think there is plenty of reason for pretty much everyone to hate the Cubs, rivals or not. They're kind of like the Yankees without any of the WS victories. Which makes the Cubs even more hateable, at least you have to respect the Yankees' tradition.

BringDownMugabe
07-17-2010, 05:12 PM
To me the last 15 years have nothing to do with this one. This is a totally different team, with a totally different mentality. The Reds are for real this year and should be good for a while now, other teams in the division realize that whether the fans do or not.

The fact that this team is "different" compared to other teams of the past is irrelevant. That doesn't change the fact that this franchise was non-existent for 15 years and now, because of that, have to face the consequences of that, which is skepticism from our competitors and even from our fan base.

I think there is plenty of reason for pretty much everyone to hate the Cubs, rivals or not. They're kind of like the Yankees without any of the WS victories. Which makes the Cubs even more hateable, at least you have to respect the Yankees' tradition.

Rivalries aren't a one-way street. Sure, Reds fans may put the Cubs in the top three of their rivals, but I can guarantee Cubs fans would think otherwise. I could make an argument that Cubs fans would rank their rivals in this order:
1) Cardinals
2) White Sox
3) Brewers
4) Astros
5) Marlins (Cubs fans are still bitter about the '03 NLCS to this day)

bshall2105
07-17-2010, 05:17 PM
The fact that this team is "different" compared to other teams of the past is irrelevant. That doesn't change the fact that this franchise was non-existent for 15 years and now, because of that, have to face the consequences of that, which is skepticism from our competitors and even from our fan base.

If other teams don't want to take the Reds seriously because of the past it's their fault they aren't beating us. The Cubs have lost 3 series to the Reds already this year, I'd doubt they're not taking them seriously.

redssince75
07-18-2010, 01:08 PM
Rivalries aren't a one-way street. Sure, Reds fans may put the Cubs in the top three of their rivals, but I can guarantee Cubs fans would think otherwise. I could make an argument that Cubs fans would rank their rivals in this order:
1) Cardinals
2) White Sox
3) Brewers
4) Astros
5) Marlins (Cubs fans are still bitter about the '03 NLCS to this day)

Oh, I've been a Reds fan my whole life (or at least since 75, lol), and I have never thought of the Cubs as a "rival". Not even a little bit. The Dodgers early on, sometimes the Braves (oddly, there is a geographical overlap with them), maybe even the Astros, but never the Cubs. I'm just saying they are very hateable.