PDA

View Full Version : The Insanity of Mel Gibson

WMR
07-14-2010, 05:01 PM
Anyone else been following this daily saga? There are 4 different audio releases out there now of Mel saying all sorts of nutty things. You can listen to them all on www.radaronline.com if you haven't caught the insanity yet.

Probably the most fascinating celebrity audio I've ever heard, it blows the Bale stuff away in the first five seconds.

WMR
07-14-2010, 05:02 PM
On a side note, I would LOVE to know what Radar Online paid for these recordings. They have them exclusively on their site.

BringDownMugabe
07-14-2010, 05:08 PM
Somewhere Tom Cruise is laughing. Cruise goes from resident Hollywood-town crazy to second fiddle after this performance from Mel. On a more serious note -- Mel Gibson really is a messed up human being. Physical abuse and death threats against his ex wife/girlfriend? I wonder what kind of sentence (if any) he'll receive.

GAC
07-15-2010, 04:18 AM
While the guy has definitely gone off the deep end, and his comments are simply outrageous, I'd like to know where this audio was obtained from? Cell phone? Isn't that a violation of the law, an invasion of one's privacy? I could see if she received those calls, and out of fear for her safety, personally turned them over to police. But other then that, I don't know.

reds1869
07-15-2010, 09:51 AM
While the guy has definitely gone off the deep end, and his comments are simply outrageous, I'd like to know where this audio was obtained from? Cell phone? Isn't that a violation of the law, an invasion of one's privacy? I could see if she received those calls, and out of fear for her safety, personally turned them over to police. But other then that, I don't know.

Under federal law, only the consent of one part is required to record. So in that case she would be allowed to use the recordings. But as I'm assuming this took place in California she would be in violation of the law, as the consent of all parties is required in that state. Now, that said, the person on those recordings is truly behaving like a monster regardless of the legality of recording him.

Sea Ray
07-15-2010, 09:59 AM

The thing is I don't think these calls will be admissable in court due to the way she recorded them but there's nothing to say she can't release them to the public. It's a free country.

GIDP
07-15-2010, 10:01 AM
I know I enjoy every second of them.

savafan
07-15-2010, 12:38 PM
Knowing that Mel has been diagnosed as a manic depressive, and has a history of alcoholism, and the rumors that this is all about her not letting him see his daughter after she agreed to the visitations in court, I empathize with him as someone who is a father and has dealt with depression, not saying that I condone the actions or language that he used.

dougdirt
07-15-2010, 01:13 PM
The thing is I don't think these calls will be admissable in court due to the way she recorded them but there's nothing to say she can't release them to the public. It's a free country.

It is a free country, but that doesn't mean you can do what you want without being held responsible for your actions. I CAN go out and do 100 on the highway. But I will get punished for it by the law.

reds1869
07-15-2010, 02:19 PM
It is a free country, but that doesn't mean you can do what you want without being held responsible for your actions. I CAN go out and do 100 on the highway. But I will get punished for it by the law.

Nah. They're more likely to pick off the guy going 75 cause he's easier to catch. ;)

In all seriousness I agree with you. She has the right to release the tapes, and she also has to be prepared to deal with the consequences. Just like Gibson has the right to be insane, but has to be prepared for the public backlash.

Rojo
07-15-2010, 02:50 PM
I think she was baiting him during the calls. Smart girl.

Gibson's family is pretty interesting....and kooky. His father Hutton, was born in the US to an American father and an Australian opera soprano. Hutton went on to become an uber-Catholic writer, the 1968 Jeopardy grand champion and a conspiracy-weaving, holocaust-denying, anti-semite.

Hutton married an Irish immigrant and moved the family from upstate New York to Australia when Mel was 12.

Mel holds dual American-Irish citizenship.

(Gotta love wikipedia)

WMR
07-15-2010, 03:01 PM
I believe CA is one of the states where only one party needs to provide consent to legally tape a phone call. I KNOW, however, that there is a caveat that allows one to record a phone call without receiving permission if one has a legitimate reason to fear for one's life.

Now whether or not Mel is really capable of 'putting her in a rose garden' ... those utterances, and dozens of others, give her a clear legal right to record the phone calls under that stipulation.

PedroBourbon
07-15-2010, 03:09 PM
On a side note, I would LOVE to know what Radar Online paid for these recordings. They have them exclusively on their site.

Stern had the founder of Radar on today (formerly editor in chief of Enquirer magazine) who claims they didn't pay for them nor did they receive them DIRECTLY from Mel's wife.

PedroBourbon
07-15-2010, 03:13 PM

I don't think using them in court was ever the idea. I think they are just being released, one every day so far, until Mel just throws money her way. A LOT of money her way. It's essentially extortion. Radar on line claims to have "30 minutes worth" of tirade material that they are leaking daily.

TheNext44
07-16-2010, 04:21 AM
Knowing that Mel has been diagnosed as a manic depressive, and has a history of alcoholism, and the rumors that this is all about her not letting him see his daughter after she agreed to the visitations in court, I empathize with him as someone who is a father and has dealt with depression, not saying that I condone the actions or language that he used.

Also if you know anything about his childhood and his relationship to his father (his father is one of the most famous Holocaust deniers in the world) you would understand that he's been fighting serious demons his whole life.

Nothing justifies his actions and words, but I have to feel sorry for someone who clearly experiences such emotional turmoil in his private life.

For what it's worth, I know many people who have worked with him and everyone says the same thing. He is one of the nicest and most generous stars to work with. He actually has a clause in all lf his contracts that any special treatment he gets, the whole cast and crew gets. They all eat first class meals, travel first class, etc.

Again, those tapes reveal a monster, but clearly a tortured monster.

TeamSelig
07-16-2010, 01:10 PM
Is it worth checking out?

Ghosts of 1990
07-17-2010, 12:21 AM
She was taping Mel (and perhaps baiting him) so that their unborn child will be her custody.

I like Mel. This spells the end of his career, but I like the guy. Everyone has some problems.

WMR
07-17-2010, 01:42 PM
She was taping Mel (and perhaps baiting him) so that their unborn child will be her custody.

I like Mel. This spells the end of his career, but I like the guy. Everyone has some problems.

:lol:

That's your take on what he said? Seriously?

Their child's not unborn, she's 8 months old now. And she also got bruises thanks to dear old dad who just had to slug mom while she was holding the baby.

WMR
07-17-2010, 01:44 PM
Gibson is one of my favorite directors of all time, but those are the words of a raving lunatic, I don't care if he's 'being baited' or not.

You're really sympathizing with a man who told a woman that he hit her while she was holding THEIR CHILD because she 'deserved it'?

His words are way beyond indefensible.

Jack Burton
07-17-2010, 01:53 PM
Evil broad, obviously set him up. Golddigging scum

Brutus
07-17-2010, 02:00 PM
Gibson is one of my favorite directors of all time, but those are the words of a raving lunatic, I don't care if he's 'being baited' or not.

You're really sympathizing with a man who told a woman that he hit her while she was holding THEIR CHILD because she 'deserved it'?

His words are way beyond indefensible.

It was his opinion. I see nothing wrong with what he said (the poster, that is).

Gibson has problems. How is that incorrect? By all accounts, he's a great guy outside of his relationships and around his work. He clearly has emotional/security issues when it comes to his love life. No one is disputing that.

I share Jay's view on this. Some people listen to those words and say, 'wow, what a lunatic.' And make no mistake, those were some unreal audio clips to listen to.

But casting people off as a crazy lunatic does nothing for them or us. I hear those and I want to know what it is going on in his head that made him that way. Contrary to popular belief, I believe people with that kind of anger problem has psychological issues that if we better understood, we could treat or help them and better prevent it from happening to others.

I don't subscribe to the idea that everyone is a victim. Nor would I ever dismiss words or actions as being no big deal because of some psychological scars. However, I also don't see the need to belittle someone's opinion for liking the guy and being disappointed that he has problems. Shame on someone for having compassion and humanity to those with problems or have behaved inappropriately.

Falls City Beer
07-17-2010, 02:11 PM
Pity poor Mel. Be a millionaire a thousand times over, cheat on your wife, lose most of your fortune, shack up with your mistress, threaten to shoot her.

Most guys go through midlife crises without waving a heater at their mistress. I think Mel--who's had every advantage known to man--can muster the courage not to do so as well.

WMR
07-17-2010, 02:19 PM
Pity poor Mel. Be a millionaire a thousand times over, cheat on your wife, lose most of your fortune, shack up with your mistress, threaten to shoot her.

Most guys go through midlife crises without waving a heater at their mistress. I think Mel--who's had every advantage known to man--can muster the courage not to do so as well.

:clap:

FCB types it perfectly, as usual. ;)

Rojo
07-17-2010, 03:00 PM
Shame on someone for having compassion and humanity to those with problems or have behaved inappropriately.

Behaved inappropriately? Nothing wrong with compassion but let's not whitewash his actions here. How far down the social ladder does your compassion extend?

GIDP
07-17-2010, 04:31 PM
:clap:

FCB types it perfectly, as usual. ;)

"Hello credibility, wait wait where are you going..."

Yachtzee
07-17-2010, 06:27 PM
There are plenty of guys out there with psychological issues that cause them to say or do things that put their family at risk. I don't have a problem with people showing compassion for the guy, but you have to make sure his child and ex are protected. If that means prosecuting him and sentencing him to jail and/or treatment, that is what you have to do. So many people fail at treatment because they don't understand the full extent of their illness and the danger it poses to themself and others. Maybe his ex knows how to push his buttons, but it's clear he needs to do something before he causes more serious harm and ruins the lives of people he loves as well as his own.

Brutus
07-17-2010, 06:58 PM
Behaved inappropriately? Nothing wrong with compassion but let's not whitewash his actions here. How far down the social ladder does your compassion extend?

I'm not whitewashing anything. What he said/did was completely wrong.

I think the difference where I'm coming from is that I judge actions, not people. What Mel Gibson did was despicable, upsetting, reprehensible, etc. However, as an individual, I think he's a guy that means well but is a ticking time bomb when it comes to love and relationships.

This isn't about him or her. Clearly I don't like what happened to her and I hope she gets out of there and in a situation she feels safe from harm. I just don't want to let myself define someone based on this narrow series of incidents. Instead, I just hope we continue as a society, to find out why this pattern is repeatable with some individuals.

Falls City Beer
07-17-2010, 07:17 PM
I'm sure Mel Gibson's anti-Semitism and misogyny is just tongue-in-cheek wink wink, nudge nudge stuff.

I get it: people can be monsters and great artists. But I don't think this outburst is caused by some closed-off part of himself--his anger and hatred permeates a good deal of his life.

mdccclxix
07-17-2010, 07:38 PM
I'm not whitewashing anything. What he said/did was completely wrong.

I think the difference where I'm coming from is that I judge actions, not people. What Mel Gibson did was despicable, upsetting, reprehensible, etc. However, as an individual, I think he's a guy that means well but is a ticking time bomb when it comes to love and relationships.

This isn't about him or her. Clearly I don't like what happened to her and I hope she gets out of there and in a situation she feels safe from harm. I just don't want to let myself define someone based on this narrow series of incidents. Instead, I just hope we continue as a society, to find out why this pattern is repeatable with some individuals.

For me, it isn't a narrow set of indictments. He has been caught boozing with all kinds of women, slurring jews, slurring blacks and abusing, physically and verbally, women. I don't doubt he's got some perspectives on gays as well, just to round out the minority circuit. All this while being preachy in all his films.

Look, as anyone who's been near a loved one enduring verbal abuse from their spouse, ex-spouse, whatever, I have NO SYMPATHY for Mel Gibson. He is a monster. This woman may have saved her life by doing this. At least now she can rest assured.

To side with him in this case is ignorant, completely ignorant. You'd have to have listened to Tracy Jones' take to even imagine it. That kind of rage he displayed is just not justified under the circumstance.

savafan
07-17-2010, 08:07 PM
To side with him in this case is ignorant, completely ignorant. You'd have to have listened to Tracy Jones' take to even imagine it. That kind of rage he displayed is just not justified under the circumstance.

We don't even know the circumstances yet.

Also, I'd like to know if anything like this ever happened with his ex-wife and mother to 7 of his kids.

Brutus
07-17-2010, 09:10 PM
For me, it isn't a narrow set of indictments. He has been caught boozing with all kinds of women, slurring jews, slurring blacks and abusing, physically and verbally, women. I don't doubt he's got some perspectives on gays as well, just to round out the minority circuit. All this while being preachy in all his films.

Look, as anyone who's been near a loved one enduring verbal abuse from their spouse, ex-spouse, whatever, I have NO SYMPATHY for Mel Gibson. He is a monster. This woman may have saved her life by doing this. At least now she can rest assured.

A monster? You don't even know the guy. You're going by a few audio recordings with absolutely no background, no back story of how these transpired, no knowledge of what may have precipitated the outburst and no personal testament to their everyday life together. I don't see how anyone can label someone a 'monster' without knowing them.

All these stories about how Gibson is a woman batterer - and I certainly hope he's not - yet we have absolutely no evidence of that. Heck, even this latest incident earlier this year where he supposedly punched the girls' tooth out didn't result in any arrest. So clearly there's some questions as to the validity. All we have is audio of a raged Gibson. Frightening? Certainly. A monster? Inconclusive at best.

WMR
07-17-2010, 09:18 PM

Behaving inappropriately = Bashing your wife's teeth in?????

I'm sure she deserved it though. Or did something that triggered an outburst from Mel stemming from his poor, disadvantaged upbringing... or maybe it's misplaced anger stemming from his overbearing mother... or..... hmmm.... put him in a straight jacket and we can get to studying him to help cure future lunatics.

WMR
07-17-2010, 09:18 PM
All these stories about how Gibson is a woman batterer - and I certainly hope he's not - yet we have absolutely no evidence of that. Heck, even this latest incident earlier this year where he supposedly punched the girls' tooth out didn't result in any arrest. So clearly there's some questions as to the validity. All we have is audio of a raged Gibson. Frightening? Certainly. A monster? Inconclusive at best.

http://www.radaronline.com/exclusives/2010/07/world-exclusive-photo-oksana-after-she-says-mel-gibson-punched-her-mouth

Keep defending the guy. :eek:

Brutus
07-17-2010, 09:30 PM
http://www.radaronline.com/exclusives/2010/07/world-exclusive-photo-oksana-after-she-says-mel-gibson-punched-her-mouth

Keep defending the guy. :eek:

What does that prove?

Again, the guy hasn't even been arrested. In this country, which last I checked was founded upon innocent unless proven guilty, it's hard to get worked up about someone when the evidence that supposedly exists hasn't been enough to charge him with a crime.

Go ahead. If you want to get ridiculously worked up over his personality flaws. That's fine by me. So far, we have audio of him screaming about sexual content and how she's a user and we have a photograph of a chipped tooth that may or may not have occurred a million different ways. Did you take part in the salem witch trials as well?

Falls City Beer
07-17-2010, 09:36 PM
What does that prove?

Again, the guy hasn't even been arrested. In this country, which last I checked was founded upon innocent unless proven guilty, it's hard to get worked up about someone when the evidence that supposedly exists hasn't been enough to charge him with a crime.

Go ahead. If you want to get ridiculously worked up over his personality flaws. That's fine by me. So far, we have audio of him screaming about sexual content and how she's a user and we have a photograph of a chipped tooth that may or may not have occurred a million different ways. Did you take part in the salem witch trials as well?

Maybe folks don't care about convicting him, arresting him, or sentencing him; maybe folks are just judging the guy on the things he's said for years and recently, words that are inexcusably horrible and undoubtedly reflect his feelings (he's said them too often in too many contexts for them to be just anger responses).

To criticize him for that is perfectly understandable, regardless of the legal issues that you keep raising.

Reds4Life
07-17-2010, 09:38 PM
Reports are she wanted Mel to pay her $10 million to not leak the tapes.......but she wasn't after money or anything. Yeah.

Btw, his ex-wife filed a statement with the court saying there was never any physical or verbal abuse during their marriage. I think it's probably a combo of things, Gibson finally snapped, and she probably is a gold digger.

Brutus
07-17-2010, 09:40 PM
Maybe folks don't care about convicting him, arresting him, or sentencing him; maybe folks are just judging the guy on the things he's said for years and recently, words that are inexcusably horrible and undoubtedly reflect his feelings (he's said them too often in too many contexts for them to be just anger responses).

To criticize him for that is perfectly understandable, regardless of the legal issues that you keep raising.

This wasn't about criticizing him. In fact, if you go back and read the post that started the current line of debate, you'll actually see that it was responding to the criticism of someone who simply didn't castigate Gibson.

If someone wants to be critical of him, fine. It's perfectly within their right. All I have taken issue with is the veracity -- especially the hyperbolic terms such as "monster." Likewise, those of us who aren't going to board the train to Salem should be within reason to do just that.

Brutus
07-17-2010, 09:41 PM
Reports are she wanted Mel to pay her $10 million to not leak the tapes.......but she wasn't after money or anything. Yeah.

Btw, his ex-wife filed a statement with the court saying there was never any physical or verbal abuse during their marriage. I think it's probably a combo of things, Gibson finally snapped, and she probably is a gold digger.

Imagine that. Another side to a story!

Falls City Beer
07-17-2010, 09:41 PM

I have no doubt she's a golddigger. But seriously, if you're stupid enough to get suckered by a golddigger....

Gibson *finally* snapped? How do you explain his anti-Semitic tirade when he was pulled over a year or two ago?

WMR
07-17-2010, 09:53 PM
What does that prove?

Keep getting worked up defending the wife-beating lunatic.

Have you actually listened to the tapes? I wouldn't think you'd make such erroneous statements throughout this thread otherwise.

He's a raving lunatic and a wife beater. He says on one of the tapes after she asks him what kind of man hits a woman holding a child, 'You deserved it.'

Salem Witch Trials is about as poor an analogy as one could choose. A man is on tape telling a woman she DESERVED to be hit. Seriously, Read that over a few times. HE TOLD HER SHE DESERVED TO BE HIT = SCUMBAG. PERIOD.

I'm sure the woman is a nightmare as well and certainly a gold-digger and probably impossible to live with, but that doesn't make Mel any less vile.

WMR
07-17-2010, 09:55 PM
I have no doubt she's a golddigger. But seriously, if you're stupid enough to get suckered by a golddigger....

Gibson *finally* snapped? How do you explain his anti-Semitic tirade when he was pulled over a year or two ago?

What about telling her she was going to get raped by a pack of .......

Or calling their hispanic maid a w-back???

All taken out of context in the vast conspiracy to get Mel's Passion of the Christ money. :lol:

savafan
07-17-2010, 10:02 PM

He was drunk driving. I've said some terrible things when I'm drunk.

I've never hit a woman. I don't condone hitting women. I have been angered to the point that I wanted to hit a woman on several occasions, and I was told by other women present that I would have been justified in doing so. I disagree that there is justification, but some things that people do to you, men and women, are terrible.

Brutus
07-17-2010, 10:03 PM
Keep getting worked up defending the wife-beating lunatic.

Have you actually listened to the tapes? I wouldn't think you'd make such erroneous statements throughout this thread otherwise.

He's a raving lunatic and a wife beater. He says on one of the tapes after she asks him what kind of man hits a woman holding a child, 'You deserved it.'

Salem Witch Trials is about as poor an analogy as one could choose. A man is on tape telling a woman she DESERVED to be hit. Seriously, Read that over a few times. HE TOLD HER SHE DESERVED TO BE HIT = SCUMBAG. PERIOD.

I'm sure the woman is a nightmare as well and certainly a gold-digger and probably impossible to live with, but that doesn't make Mel any less vile.

As I said, I heard the tapes. No need to beleaguer the point.

The all caps isn't necessary. I know what was said. We're just beating around the bush now.

It's the age of demonizing. It used to be when these kinds of incidents happened, we dealt with them, prosecuted them, the people would pay their debts to society if needed and then they were given a fresh start. Now it's sporty to call them monsters, go to their living quarters with pitch forks demanding justice and scream and shout at the naysayers, who wish not to partake in this new religion, questioning how "anyone could defend these people."

From Wall Street to Hollywood... the story is the same.

WMR
07-17-2010, 10:10 PM
As I said, I heard the tapes. No need to beleaguer the point.

The all caps isn't necessary. I know what was said. We're just beating around the bush now.

It's the age of demonizing. It used to be when these kinds of incidents happened, we dealt with them, prosecuted them, the people would pay their debts to society if needed and then they were given a fresh start. Now it's sporty to call them monsters, go to their living quarters with pitch forks demanding justice and scream and shout at the naysayers, who wish not to partake in this new religion, questioning how "anyone could defend these people."

From Wall Street to Hollywood... the story is the same.

I love Mel Gibson. He is a very, very fine actor and one of the greatest directors of his generation...

THAT BEING TYPED...

he is nuts. I have no doubt his maniacal father played an integral role in warping him into who/what he is today, especially the race-hating parts of his character which are even more deplorable, IMO, than his treatment of women.

You can just TELL that that woman is an evil you know what but still, he admitted to hitting her while she was holding their 8 month old baby. That's about as low as it gets in my book. No over-dramatizing at all. I imagine what I would do if someone 'accidentally' hit my little 14 month old niece... it's truly deplorable behavior.

Mel may very well be Jekyll and Hyde. He definitely needs intensive therapy and medication, STILL not excusing what he did.

TheNext44
07-17-2010, 10:10 PM
I'm not a psycholgist, but I have worked as a therapist, and I think it's highly likely that Gibson is suffering from a very serious mental/emotional disease, most likely something connected to Bi-Polar.

He seems to be a very intelligent, well meaning, caring person who can snap and become a dangerous threat to himself and others for almost no reason. The real issue is not whether or not to defend or attack him, but hope that he gets help, and fast.

GIDP
07-17-2010, 10:50 PM
I find the whole situation to be pretty suspicious. The fact that they are releasing snippets of this tape over a long period of time makes me think she either got paid a lot by Radar online and they are milking it for all they can, or its highly edited to make it seems as bad as possible. It seems like borderline black mail or extortion. Guy sounds nuts, but I also have a hard time figuring out this story.

TeamCasey
07-18-2010, 10:04 AM
If someone wants to be critical of him, fine. It's perfectly within their right. All I have taken issue with is the veracity -- especially the hyperbolic terms such as "monster." Likewise, those of us who aren't going to board the train to Salem should be within reason to do just that.

No different than calling the mother of his child, who was on the receiving end of these phone calls, who had a restraining order against him, a golddigger.

Reds4Life
07-18-2010, 10:16 AM
I find the whole situation to be pretty suspicious. The fact that they are releasing snippets of this tape over a long period of time makes me think she either got paid a lot by Radar online and they are milking it for all they can, or its highly edited to make it seems as bad as possible. It seems like borderline black mail or extortion. Guy sounds nuts, but I also have a hard time figuring out this story.

She supposedly wanted $10 million from him, or she'd leak em. That is blackmail. Gibson's attorney says they have rock solid evidence the tapes have been edited, and are going to present it to the Sherriff's office that is working the case.

kaldaniels
07-18-2010, 11:22 AM
Lets say you are Mel Gibson. You are worth hundreds of millions. You say some hateful things to your wife who blackmails you for 10 million dollars. Really hateful, career-damaging things....this judgment of Mel aside...I'd have paid the 10 million. But thats me.

Falls City Beer
07-18-2010, 11:27 AM
Lets say you are Mel Gibson. You are worth hundreds of millions. You say some hateful things to your wife who blackmails you for 10 million dollars. Really hateful, career-damaging things....this judgment of Mel aside...I'd have paid the 10 million. But thats me.

The guy simply can't keep a lid on this kind of talk, though. The extortion angle kind of misses the point--this guy is colored through and through with this thinking and language. Officers of the law have him on record with this stuff; someone who knows him intimately was eventually going to get it on record too.

It's like with Marge Schott: those who defended her said stuff like, "The press just BAITS her into saying this stuff." Nonsense. They put a mike in her face, and it comes tumbling out. It's who she was.

TheNext44
07-18-2010, 02:39 PM
The guy simply can't keep a lid on this kind of talk, though. The extortion angle kind of misses the point--this guy is colored through and through with this thinking and language. Officers of the law have him on record with this stuff; someone who knows him intimately was eventually going to get it on record too.

It's like with Marge Schott: those who defended her said stuff like, "The press just BAITS her into saying this stuff." Nonsense. They put a mike in her face, and it comes tumbling out. It's who she was.

Ask anyone who worked for or with the Reds when Marge owned them. The stuff she was quoted as saying in the media was tame compared to what she said on a daily basis. I still liked her asan owner because she was dedicated to winning, but she was a hardcore, old fashioned racist.

Really hard to believe that Gibson isn't one too, no matter how these tapes were edited, or their context.

GAC
07-18-2010, 02:43 PM
I'm not a psycholgist, but I have worked as a therapist, and I think it's highly likely that Gibson is suffering from a very serious mental/emotional disease, most likely something connected to Bi-Polar.

He seems to be a very intelligent, well meaning, caring person who can snap and become a dangerous threat to himself and others for almost no reason. The real issue is not whether or not to defend or attack him, but hope that he gets help, and fast.

He's been diagnosed manic-depressive. Add alcoholism to that and it's not a pretty combination.

It's also been charged that it's not sure when that pic of her was taken, nor if it was Mel that it did it. Radaronline really doesn't seem to be showing much objectivity in it's reporting on this situation, and is reporting everything she claims as fact.

Gibson needs help obviously. I'm just not sure he is guilty of everything she is claiming. There is strong evidence she demanded 10M to keep the tapes secret.

But I agree with FCB..... if you get involved with a gold-digger, then buyer beware. They probably both deserve each other.

savafan
07-18-2010, 05:44 PM
Mel's ex-wife really is standing behind him on this. She says he was never violent or angry toward her like this, and she's asked him to come back to Australia to live with her and their kids who remain at home. That SHOULD say something right there.

Falls City Beer
07-18-2010, 06:10 PM
Mel's ex-wife really is standing behind him on this. She says he was never violent or angry toward her like this, and she's asked him to come back to Australia to live with her and their kids who remain at home. That SHOULD say something right there.

Mel is still this woman's meal ticket. Where Mel's fortune goes, so goes hers.

savafan
07-18-2010, 06:14 PM

That may very well be true, but, if all the things being said about him were true, would she really want him living under her roof with their children?

Falls City Beer
07-18-2010, 06:23 PM
That may very well be true, but, if all the things being said about him were true, would she really want him living under her roof with their children?

I think she'll protect her paycheck. A lot of folks have an interest in protecting Mel Gibson's career.

Dom Heffner
07-18-2010, 10:43 PM
Hey Brutus, if we are all guilty of demonizing Mel, what's he guilty of?

A "poor choice of words"?

It's neat to play devil's advocate and all, but goodness gracious you honestly have no idea how bad your argument is losing here.

It's all our fault for demonizing the demon.

GAC
07-19-2010, 05:32 AM

She's still going to get a good portion of his fortune regardless. She's legally entitled in their divorce to half of everything He earned from their marriage in 1980 to the date of their separation. So I don't think she's "covering" for her soon-to-be ex just to protect her "investment".

Mel is out there saying he's broke, and that's all a bunch of garbage. I wish I could be that broke. If Mel never makes another movie again, he, his ex-wife, and ex-GF, will be financially well off for the remainder of their days.

Falls City Beer
07-19-2010, 08:06 AM
She's still going to get a good portion of his fortune regardless. She's legally entitled in their divorce to half of everything He earned from their marriage in 1980 to the date of their separation. So I don't think she's "covering" for her soon-to-be ex just to protect her "investment".

Mel is out there saying he's broke, and that's all a bunch of garbage. I wish I could be that broke. If Mel never makes another movie again, he, his ex-wife, and ex-GF, will be financially well off for the remainder of their days.

To you and me, they'll be wealthy. But to the wealthy, it's never enough unless it's more. Tie Mel up in a bunch of legal matters, and that fortune shrinks a bit more; fewer to no major roles for Mel or no financial backing for another major race-baiting blockbuster, then all of a sudden the wife isn't living "up to her accustomed standards" of lifestyle enjoyment. Believe me, damage control is in full effect.

Brutus
07-19-2010, 11:19 AM
Hey Brutus, if we are all guilty of demonizing Mel, what's he guilty of?

A "poor choice of words"?

It's neat to play devil's advocate and all, but goodness gracious you honestly have no idea how bad your argument is losing here.

It's all our fault for demonizing the demon.

I'm not part of the lynch mob. My argument is fine.

If you would like to go back and read my posts, you'll see I haven't dismissed any behavior. I'm just not taking part in the crowd that is blowing everything out of proportion in usual fashion. That's really all there is to it.

Rojo
07-19-2010, 03:27 PM
"Inappropriate behavior", "personality flaws", "emotional/security issues when it comes to his love life" -- maybe you're not dimissing his behavior but sure spinning it pretty hard.

Brutus
07-19-2010, 03:48 PM
[QUOTE=Brutus the Pimp;2160824]"Inappropriate behavior", "personality flaws", "emotional/security issues when it comes to his love life" -- maybe you're not dimissing his behavior but sure spinning it pretty hard.

You say spin, I say adding much needed perspective to the conversation.

After all, this is based on the accusations of a woman that claims to be scared for her life, yet a) may have extorted him for money and b) comes across as not having any fear whatsoever on those tapes - to the extent she's perfectly calm and sounds more like baiting him to go off than being afraid of what he may do; and c) the ex-wife is standing behind him claiming he never lifted a finger toward her or was abusive.

So yeah, I tremendously question the seriousness of this. It really comes across as not too much more than blowing off a lot of steam, albeit done in extremely poor taste and in a hostile manner.

If this situation was as dire as she's suggesting, i.e. she was fearing he would hurt her, this course of action is not consistent with that pattern of behavior. If she's not actually afraid, despite these words, I don't know how I should be concerned with their veracity.

westofyou
07-19-2010, 03:57 PM
If had only forced himself to vomit on her...

savafan
07-19-2010, 04:06 PM
None of us KNOW what happened, and Mel hasn't come out with his side of the story. Maybe he did hit her. Assuming those tapes haven't been edited, he certainly didn't deny it. However, what preceded that? Did she hit him first? Take a swing at him and he reacted? It's possible. We don't know, but it's possible.

Rojo
07-19-2010, 06:57 PM
[QUOTE=Rojo;2162918]You say spin, I say adding much needed perspective to the conversation.

And doing a lousy job of it. You undercut your argument by soft-peddling these rantings as "inappropriate."

Brutus
07-19-2010, 07:04 PM
[QUOTE=Brutus the Pimp;2162933]

And doing a lousy job of it. You undercut your argument by soft-peddling these rantings as "inappropriate."

I would say you're doing a lousy job of taking all the other questions into account. Tit-for-tat.

Falls City Beer
07-19-2010, 07:25 PM
I would say you're doing a lousy job of taking all the other questions into account. Tit-for-tat.

What questions? We're not a jury. He says racist and sexist stuff constantly. Most folks think he's sexist and racist and unglued.

Tell us where we're wrong.

Brutus
07-19-2010, 07:37 PM
What questions? We're not a jury. He says racist and sexist stuff constantly. Most folks think he's sexist and racist and unglued.

Tell us where we're wrong.

I posted several issues in Post #62. Several folks have pointed out that we don't know exactly what happened beyond those tapes. Even those tapes are not in full, could have been edited and are very suspicious given some of the other circumstances. That we're not playing with a full deck on this story should be obvious. We can't make full conclusions, though it's not stopping people from trying - which is usual.

Falls City Beer
07-19-2010, 07:42 PM
I posted several issues in Post #62. Several folks have pointed out that we don't know exactly what happened beyond those tapes. Even those tapes are not in full, could have been edited and are very suspicious given some of the other circumstances. That we're not playing with a full deck on this story should be obvious. We can't make full conclusions, though it's not stopping people from trying - which is usual.

Police have him on record spouting anti-Semitic garbage. Are you saying the police are lying?

savafan
07-19-2010, 07:45 PM
Has anyone else read Whoopi Goldberg, who claims to be a long time friend of Gibson's, defense of him?

Brutus
07-19-2010, 09:41 PM
Has anyone else read Whoopi Goldberg, who claims to be a long time friend of Gibson's, defense of him?

Here's a link about that...

http://www.nydailynews.com/gossip/2010/07/15/2010-07-15_whoopi_goldberg_sticks_by_her_defense_of_mel_gi bson_on_the_view.html

mdccclxix
07-19-2010, 11:28 PM
We don't even know the circumstances yet.

Also, I'd like to know if anything like this ever happened with his ex-wife and mother to 7 of his kids.

I'm not looking forward to the he said/she said for any conclusive evidence. Basically, no one deserves to be spoken to that way. Even beyond that he has shown once again he's still a racist jerk.

savafan
07-20-2010, 12:24 AM
I'm not looking forward to the he said/she said for any conclusive evidence. Basically, no one deserves to be spoken to that way. Even beyond that he has shown once again he's still a racist jerk.

While that may be true, that's not illegal.

mdccclxix
07-20-2010, 02:35 AM
While that may be true, that's not illegal.

Maybe I've lost track of this thread titled "The Insanity of Mel Gibson", but we're not talking about legality here - at all. Mel Gibson is a monstrous jerk and I think that's abundantly clear.

I'll take into effect the 5th definition of monstrous, which is "deviating greatly from the natural form or character". Yep, that's what I heard.

I'll wait for "gold digger gate" to settle and if those conspiratorial "edited tapes" are found guilty, I'll apologize to potty mouth Gibson and his racist friend, Whoopie.

Like I said a few days ago, you have to take these cases seriously, because lots and lots of women actually do suffer from this kind of abuse throughout their lives by maniacal, monstrous jerks. Right now she's got the tapes and he's got lawyers and rich friends.

TheNext44
07-20-2010, 03:59 AM
Life if rarely black and white. People aren't either good guys or bad guys. We are all very complex, mixed up individuals who can be both very bad and very good without contradiction. But that doesn't excuse our actions or make them any less dangerous when they become threatening.

Whether or not Gibson was baited or encouraged or whatever the circumstances turn out to be, his response was monsterous, evil, unjustifiable, and dangerous. I have been baited, and I have exploded for no good reason, and said things that I still to this day regret. But I have never in such a fit of anger said anything as sexist, racist, anti-semitic, violent or hateful as what Gibson said.

No matter the circumstances, it it obvious that Gibson is a hatefilled misogynist, racist who needs help before he seriously hurts himself or others. The fact that he seems like a nice guy 99% of the time is all the more reason to be even more afraid of him.

Dom Heffner
07-20-2010, 10:03 AM
I'm not part of the lynch mob. My argument is fine.

If you would like to go back and read my posts, you'll see I haven't dismissed any behavior. I'm just not taking part in the crowd that is blowing everything out of proportion in usual fashion. That's really all there is to it.

See- there's where you are wrong- nobody is blowing anything out of proportion....

Instead of being in the crowd that has to point out 1 percent of the equation and representing it as an equal part, why don't you just condemn it and move along?

Could there be more to the story? Sure. Is life seldom black and white? Nope.

Neither of those points are excuses for the behavior.

It would be like me slapping someone upside the head with a baseball bat and then you coming to my rescue with, "Yeah, but the dude deserved it for not using his turn signal."

People do things to us that make us upset- it doesn't mean you get to pay them back tenfold, abuse them verbally or physically....

You don't aim your hatred towards black people (a "pack" of N-words? Seriously?) and aim it at the mother of your child who you cheated on your ex-wife to be with and come out the good guy, brutha. You say you are condemning the behavior, but people don't condemn behavior by pointing out the other side of a losing argument.

You are the guy saying it's awful and then pointing out why it isnt so awful. You condemn it, and there take it back with the one word that wipes it out: B-u-t (which stands for Behold the Underlying Truth).

For someone so preachy, he needs to take a look at his own life.

The guy has issues, but he's obviously not serious about correcting them, so he gets what he deserves.

This woman may be a huge gold digger, I really don't care.

Gibson shouldnt be using that as an excuse to hurl angry racial rants and violence.

I'm going to go back and search the OJ Simpson threads, I'll bet you're there pointing out how much he loved his kids and how much he meant for the game of football.

On second thought, there's no way you'd that.

Brutus
07-20-2010, 08:42 PM
I'm going to go back and search the OJ Simpson threads, I'll bet you're there pointing out how much he loved his kids and how much he meant for the game of football.

On second thought, there's no way you'd that.

If I didn't know any better, I would say you're suggesting some sort of uneven reaction because of race?

savafan
07-21-2010, 10:52 PM
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/film/news/e3idce355ee2b302dc4e314dccf51febe6f

The Hollywood Reporter has learned that after the disturbing Mel Gibson audio tapes became public earlier this month, Oksana Grigorieva wrote Gibson a text explaining why she'd surreptitiously recorded their conversations.

According to a source familiar with the case, Grigorieva writes in the text that the reason she recorded him was because "you broke your agreement with me."

The source says that there are additional emails that will likely be used by Gibson's attorneys to prove that Grigorieva attempted to use the audio tapes to extort money from Gibson. The source adds that Grigorieva was also upset about the breakup and was looking to reconcile.

Sea Ray
07-28-2010, 11:36 AM

Brutus, we have evidence that he is verbally abusive to women and that often leads to physical. No woman should tolerate verbal abuse because of this fact

redsfandan
11-04-2010, 04:02 PM
First of all, I didn't intend to resurrect this thread to reignite the debate about what Gibson did. Gibson did some really stupid bad things. I think we all can agree on that. But, it's not uncommon for a celebrity to reestablish themself years after bad press due to a scandal. The movie plot makes sense for Gibson and so does the poster. I'm just wondering if it might be a little too soon.

Gibson's 'Beaver' Poster Proves the Movie Exists
Thu Nov 4 2010, 7:00 AM PDT by: Will Leitch

Considering the general consensus about Mel Gibson these days -- we won't rehash the details for the thousandth time, but suffice to say, the consensus is not positive -- we've wondered if his movie "The Beaver," a dark comedy directed by Jodie Foster, would ever be released. Though the casting seems to work: Considering the troubled, now-reclusive Gibson's emotional outbursts of late, playing the film's protagonist, a mentally ill person who communicates with the world through an animal puppet, would seem to be within the range of a guy who now talks primarily through the buffer of a publicist. ...
http://blog.movies.yahoo.com/blog/70-mel-gibsons-beaver-poster-proves-the-movie-exists

Razor Shines
11-05-2010, 10:37 AM
First of all, I didn't intend to resurrect this thread to reignite the debate about what Gibson did. Gibson did some really stupid bad things. I think we all can agree on that. But, it's not uncommon for a celebrity to reestablish themself years after bad press due to a scandal. The movie plot makes sense for Gibson and so does the poster. I'm just wondering if it might be a little too soon.

They cut his scenes out of The Hangover 2 because Gallifinakas complained about him being in the movie.

The director (Todd Phillips) for Hangover 2 was also the Due Date director and Downey Jr. is the one who convinced him to put Gibson in the Hangover film. RDJ says that when he was down and out Gibson was the only one who would work with him. Hiring him in "The Singing Detective".

What's funny is Zachy boy didn't have any problem working with Mike Tyson in the first Hangover.

I don't really have much sympathy for Mel, he clearly needs or needed help (I don't know if he's gotten it or not) but it's funny that Zach chooses to work with a guy who actually committed rape over someone who talked about it.

redsfandan
11-05-2010, 12:30 PM
They cut his scenes out of The Hangover 2 because Gallifinakas complained about him being in the movie.

The director (Todd Phillips) for Hangover 2 was also the Due Date director and Downey Jr. is the one who convinced him to put Gibson in the Hangover film. RDJ says that when he was down and out Gibson was the only one who would work with him. Hiring him in "The Singing Detective".

What's funny is Zachy boy didn't have any problem working with Mike Tyson in the first Hangover.

I don't really have much sympathy for Mel, he clearly needs or needed help (I don't know if he's gotten it or not) but it's funny that Zach chooses to work with a guy who actually committed rape over someone who talked about it.
I think Gibson commented on that too. He probably shouldn't have though. I see two differences:

1) While what Gibson did was bad what Tyson did was worse. But, ...

2) I think Tyson was under the radar MUCH longer between his wrongdoings and his 'reemergence'. I might be off on that though. It doesn't seem like Gibson, on the other hand, has been willing to wait. There were allegations either this year or last but it seems like he wants to keep working like he was before anything ever happened. I think society usually needs more time before a celebrity gets to 'start over'.

Jack Burton
11-05-2010, 03:43 PM
I find it funny that this Gallifinakas guy has a say in any of this. A virtual nobody save for a few stints on the late night circuit.

Chip R
11-05-2010, 04:41 PM
I find it funny that this Gallifinakas guy has a say in any of this. A virtual nobody save for a few stints on the late night circuit.

The guy just helmed a movie that has grossed $467M so far. Money talks to movie studios.

TeamSelig
11-05-2010, 04:57 PM

???

This dude is crazy famous... one of the funniest comedians out there. He's the new Seth Rogen, if you will.

westofyou
11-05-2010, 04:59 PM
For a nobody I'm sure seeing him EVERYWHERE

Razor Shines
11-05-2010, 07:15 PM
The guy just helmed a movie that has grossed $467M so far. Money talks to movie studios.

And he is on a fairly successful HBO show, Bored to Death. I really like Galifianakis too, loved his stand up for a long time before Hangover. I think he's also a terrific actor, I just thing he's off on this one.