PDA

View Full Version : Fay: Arroyo to go Friday, Volquez Saturday

Redsfan320
07-14-2010, 06:08 PM
Check the very bottom of this blog post (http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/2010/07/14/a-theory-on-why-volquez-is-throwing-harder/)

By the way, Iím hearing Volquez will start Saturday. Bronson Arroyo is going to go Friday.

Homer Bailey
07-14-2010, 06:31 PM
Yes! Awesome news!

reds1869
07-14-2010, 06:59 PM
:KoolAid:

GAC
07-14-2010, 07:01 PM
I'll be at that Saturday game for Volquez. Looking forward to it too.

Redsfan320
07-14-2010, 07:10 PM
This is possibly sticky-worthy.

Tornon
07-14-2010, 07:23 PM
I assume Maloney is leaving the rotation, but have we had confirmation of that anywhere?

RedsManRick
07-14-2010, 07:33 PM
Harang should be back soon as well, right? I'm guessing we'll see Cueto Sunday. Then maybe Wood on Monday and Harang Tuesday?

Redsfan320
07-14-2010, 07:33 PM
^^
What about Leake?

Cedric
07-14-2010, 07:36 PM
^^
What about Leake?

They are trying to push him back as far as possible.. Limit innings.

RedsManRick
07-14-2010, 07:38 PM
^^
What about Leake?

Oh yeah... geez. Too many starters! Leake instead of Wood, I suppose. At some point, I'd like to see Leake moved to middle relief to keep his innings down. For a team in the hunt, I'd like to see us keep our best 12 arms on the 25 man roster and figure out roles from there.

Blitz Dorsey
07-14-2010, 08:01 PM
Fingers crossed here. (Well, not actually when I'm typing.) It almost seems too good to be true that Volquez came back this soon (course, he did have some help ... and lost 50 game checks as a result) and looked good pitching for Louisville. If we get him back even close to where he was in 2008, it's like trading for one of the top players on the market right before the deadline. Honestly, I am pessimistic that he will be good/great the rest of this season. I am expecting him to be average and they return to top form next year. However, I would love to be wrong on that. A healthy/effective Edinson Volquez could push this team over the top.

_Sir_Charles_
07-14-2010, 08:21 PM
Oh yeah... geez. Too many starters! Leake instead of Wood, I suppose. At some point, I'd like to see Leake moved to middle relief to keep his innings down. For a team in the hunt, I'd like to see us keep our best 12 arms on the 25 man roster and figure out roles from there.

Then don't forget, Homer comes back too. It's a nice problem to have and I bet a large portion of the majors are jealous as all get out.

At some point in time this second half, we're going to have to pull the trigger on a deal to move some of the excess to fill some voids or improve some slots.

reds44
07-14-2010, 08:26 PM
Can't wait.

mdccclxix
07-14-2010, 08:33 PM
This is great news. So Bronson's the new ace, eh?

Saturday can't get here soon enough. I feel like Volquez will be great. I just have a feeling. I'm a believer in the symmetrical connection between him and Hamilton. Hamilton's having an awesome year, so Volquez will be stepping it up.

Besides, he's throwing 98! Price will get him pounding the zone and he'll do well.

kaldaniels
07-14-2010, 08:47 PM
Then don't forget, Homer comes back too. It's a nice problem to have and I bet a large portion of the majors are jealous as all get out.

At some point in time this second half, we're going to have to pull the trigger on a deal to move some of the excess to fill some voids or improve some slots.

Any news on Homer though? Someone had a blurb about Homer being out for the year a few days back...that post never went anywhere though.

Red Heeler
07-14-2010, 10:01 PM
Any news on Homer though? Someone had a blurb about Homer being out for the year a few days back...that post never went anywhere though.

I'd be surprised if Bailey ever throws another pitch for the Reds.

Reds Fanatic
07-14-2010, 10:40 PM
Great news. I will be at the game Saturday for the Volquez start.

TheNext44
07-14-2010, 10:54 PM
Then don't forget, Homer comes back too.

Oh, how I would like to forget that. :cool:

Redmachine2003
07-14-2010, 11:15 PM

I just don't like bouncing starting pitching around like that. I never seems to work out for the Reds. It also isn't working out very well for Chapman and Boxberger.

OnBaseMachine
07-14-2010, 11:18 PM
I'm so excited about the return of Volquez. I love watching that dude pitch. Who knows how he'll perform this season, he could pull a Josh Johnson or Tim Hudson and come back pitching strong immediately after returning or he may struggle, but either way, it will be nice seeing him back on the mound pitching in real games. He's a lot of fun to watch.

Blitz Dorsey
07-14-2010, 11:48 PM
I just don't like bouncing starting pitching around like that. I never seems to work out for the Reds. It also isn't working out very well for Chapman and Boxberger.

I couldn't agree more. I understand what they are doing with Chapman and Boxberger because they think Chapman can help this year out of the pen down the stretch ... and they probably think Boxberger can be a closer-of-the-future type of prospect, or at least a good set-up man. But I am DEFINITELY not a fan of moving someone like Mike Leake, who is completely rolling, out of the rotation just because of some mythical number of innings that he can't go over. Don't forget he pitched in the AFL last year and he won't be doing that this year. As long as the Reds continue to limit his innings (not allowing him to go over 100 pitches, giving him an extra day off between starts when they can, occasionally skipping his start) he most certainly should stay in the rotation.

kaldaniels
07-15-2010, 12:06 AM
I couldn't agree more. I understand what they are doing with Chapman and Boxberger because they think Chapman can help this year out of the pen down the stretch ... and they probably think Boxberger can be a closer-of-the-future type of prospect, or at least a good set-up man. But I am DEFINITELY not a fan of moving someone like Mike Leake, who is completely rolling, out of the rotation just because of some mythical number of innings that he can't go over. Don't forget he pitched in the AFL last year and he won't be doing that this year. As long as the Reds continue to limit his innings (not allowing him to go over 100 pitches, giving him an extra day off between starts when they can, occasionally skipping his start) he most certainly should stay in the rotation.

Just one flaw in the logic. Leake is not completely rolling. 5+ runs given up in 4 of his last 6 starts.

fearofpopvol1
07-15-2010, 12:11 AM
I'm thinking they want to watch Volquez pitch 3 or so starts with the Reds. If he does well, they will not pursue a pitcher from another team. If he doesn't pitch well, Walt will pursue a pitcher from another team and move Volquez to the bullpen (for this season).

corkedbat
07-15-2010, 12:19 AM
If/when Homer is ready to pitch again this year, I'd say he does a full month's rehab stint.

HeatherC1212
07-15-2010, 12:23 AM
I'm hoping they keep Wood in the rotation for a while and have him pitching Sunday to break up Volquez and Cueto (the two flame throwers). Right now I see the rotation as Arroyo, Volquez, Wood, Cueto, and Leake until someone tells me otherwise. There wasn't any news one way or the other about Homer or Aaron so I can easily see the Reds making the rotation out of the healthy guys first and then fitting in the DL guys as needed later. They can take their time making sure those guys are healthy before bringing them back. :)

reds1869
07-15-2010, 12:30 AM
I'm hoping they keep Wood in the rotation for a while and have him pitching Sunday to break up Volquez and Cueto (the two flame throwers). Right now I see the rotation as Arroyo, Volquez, Wood, Cueto, and Leake until someone tells me otherwise. There wasn't any news one way or the other about Homer or Aaron so I can easily see the Reds making the rotation out of the healthy guys first and then fitting in the DL guys as needed later. They can take their time making sure those guys are healthy before bringing them back. :)

Harang and Bailey can take all the time they want.

Redsfan320
07-15-2010, 12:38 AM
Harang and Bailey can take all the time they want.

This.

NDRed
07-15-2010, 01:47 AM
I'd be surprised if Bailey ever throws another pitch for the Reds.

I doubt it but I hope you are right.

Ron Madden
07-15-2010, 05:01 AM

My feelings in a nutshell I agree 100%. :thumbup:

mth123
07-15-2010, 07:35 AM
If/when Homer is ready to pitch again this year, I'd say he does a full month's rehab stint.

Agreed. He won't be back until September when Rosters expand IMO. My guess is he hits the 60 Day DL when Volquez comes back in order to manage the 40 man roster.

He might be the guy to slide in for Leake when Leake has hit his innings max.

I'd like to see Bailey get another shot. He's still too young with too much potential to give up on IMO. If he puts it together, he'll be better than Leake, Wood and even Cueto. He Chapman and Volquez are a cut above the others IMO. Command may be the rub that holds any of them back, but hard throwers can find command as they mature. The other guys aren't likely to find more stuff.

Harang is the guy I'd like to see moved out. Save some cash to make budget space for an acquisition and get out from under that option buy-out for 2011.

Strikes Out Looking
07-15-2010, 08:37 AM
Just one flaw in the logic. Leake is not completely rolling. 5+ runs given up in 4 of his last 6 starts.

His last start was just fine...until the 9th inning.

kaldaniels
07-15-2010, 09:38 AM
His last start was just fine...until the 9th inning.

Slice it however you want, he ain't rolling.

bucksfan2
07-15-2010, 09:43 AM
I think Wood is the odd man out because of one word, OPTIONS. I do feel that moves for this season are going to be made with next year clearly in focus. Unfortunately I think Harang will get his spot back in the rotation while a guy like Wood has a much higher ceiling and also ability to produce right now. Here is how I see the rotation working out.

Arroyo SP1
Cueto SP2
Volquez SP3
Harang SP4
Leake SP5
Wood SP5
Bailey BP
Chapman BP

Volquez SP1
Cueto SP2
Arroyo SP3
Leake SP4
Wood SP5
Chapman SP5/BP

Bailey BP

I am not necessarily down on Bailey I just think he could be very helpful as a closer. The Reds finally have the pitching depth in order to let a good arm go into the pen to pitch in a high leverage situation. I also like the Feliz route for Chapman. His stuff is good enough to pitch right now in the majors he just needs to learn how to pitch. I also worry if Rhodes is nearing the ending of his tenure.

I wouldn't be opposed to a trade for a starter, in fact I think it would make the most impact outside of acquiring a Carl Crawford type to play LF. I however am leaning more and more towards Leake and Wood being untouchables. If you insert a Haren or Oswalt into SP1 slot it makes the Reds match up much better with other aces around the league.

Falls City Beer
07-15-2010, 09:46 AM
If the Reds are serious about keeping Leake's innings down, then he's probably only good for about 60 more innings this season.