PDA

View Full Version : Sources: Dodgers Request Outright Waivers on Reliever George Sherrill

savafan
07-14-2010, 07:50 PM
I remember him being a guy that some on here were hoping the Reds would acquire this past offseason.

http://mlb.fanhouse.com/2010/07/14/sources-dodgers-request-outright-waivers-on-reliever-george-she/

Blitz Dorsey
07-14-2010, 07:57 PM
I would love me some George Sherrill. They probably won't do it now since Bray is back and is looking pretty good, but Sherrill was a lights-out set-up man for the Dodgers down the stretch last year ... after being a pretty good closer for the Orioles for a year-and-a-half.

I would LOVE IT if the Reds landed Sherrill. I bet it doesn't happen though. He is a lefty with great stuff.

RedsManRick
07-14-2010, 08:01 PM
I really want to know what's been going on with him this year. He's been an absolute disaster. I wonder if he has an elbow issue (given his control) that he's not been open about?

Tom Servo
07-14-2010, 10:10 PM
I used to love the guy but he has been just awful this year and would probably be awful with us. I even got to see him give the one Dodger game I attended in L.A. away to the Padres.

PuffyPig
07-14-2010, 10:48 PM
I would LOVE IT if the Reds landed Sherrill. I bet it doesn't happen though. He is a lefty with great stuff.

16 walks, 11 K's in 19.2 innings.

I doubt he has great stuff, otherwise he would be going all Josh Fogg on us.

Blitz Dorsey
07-14-2010, 11:36 PM
So, you guys think he just suddenly lost his great stuff even though there is no injury that we know of right now? You are looking at what's he's done the last 3 months ... I'm looking at the previous 2 years. Maybe he just needs a change of scenery. Would definitely be a good idea to take a flier on a guy like him if he really does become available to the Reds. Especially if he comes dirt cheap. Twelve months ago everyone was talking about him as one of the best players on the trade market before the deadline. Dodgers gobbled him up and it worked out quite well for them. Adam Jones was the main piece of the Erik Bedard trade between the Orioles and Mariners, but Sherrill was also in that deal and turned out to be a steal for the O's. I say he's definitely someone the Reds should take a chance on if they get the opportunity.

corkedbat
07-15-2010, 12:04 AM
I'd consider a minor league look

LoganBuck
07-15-2010, 01:32 AM
Saw him pitch a while back on the MLB Network. He looked different in his delivery more upright than I remember.

PuffyPig
07-15-2010, 08:36 AM
So, you guys think he just suddenly lost his great stuff even though there is no injury that we know of right now? You are looking at what's he's done the last 3 months ... I'm looking at the previous 2 years.

When a LH reliever sudenly loses his control and ability to strike out hitters, it is often the result of a hidden injury.

I will often overlook poor results if the pitcher maintains his ability to miss bats, like Masset earlier. Those pitchers are great bounce back candidates.

But when your K rate is halved, your W-rate doubled, and your xFIP in the 6's, you are not a good bounce back candidate.

lollipopcurve
07-15-2010, 09:05 AM
Gawd no. He's been awful, and moving from Dodger Stadium and the NL West to GABP and the NL Central would make him even worse. He's not the guy he was.

Falls City Beer
07-15-2010, 09:13 AM
He's either injured or gotten off roids. Pass.

Blitz Dorsey
07-15-2010, 11:24 AM
He's either injured or gotten off roids. Pass.

Well, just "pull a LaRussa" and insist that he goes back on HGH. I don't see the problem. :D

Topcat
07-16-2010, 02:23 AM
I would love me some George Sherrill. They probably won't do it now since Bray is back and is looking pretty good, but Sherrill was a lights-out set-up man for the Dodgers down the stretch last year ... after being a pretty good closer for the Orioles for a year-and-a-half.

Not only that but Sherrill was one killer former Gold Eye pitcher and that alone wants me to get them to grab him fast!:D

_Sir_Charles_
07-16-2010, 11:09 PM
Ummm...Sherrill's pitching right now for the Dodgers. I thought they put him on waivers?

Blitz Dorsey
07-18-2010, 11:54 AM
Ummm...Sherrill's pitching right now for the Dodgers. I thought they put him on waivers?

I guess no one claimed him. Similar to Encarnacion this year. Blue Jays put him on waivers, no one wanted his broke (rear end) and he was back playing for the Jays.