PDA

View Full Version : July Trade Speculation

Pages : [1] 2

reds44
07-15-2010, 01:41 PM
I figured it'd be a good idea to start a thread for tidbits heard about the Reds as the deadline approaches, that aren't really needing their own thread.

Buster Olney just tweeted:
Buster_ESPN Heard this: The Reds are looking hard for a right-handed reliever. Pure speculation: You wonder if Kerry Wood would be a good fit.

Ghosts of 1990
07-15-2010, 01:47 PM
I know he's been in the business a long time, but I always wonder who he 'hears' this stuff from? Rival GM's? Someone in the organization he rubs elbows with? I'd love to see Buster's source list, I think it's a decent one.

bucksfan2
07-15-2010, 01:49 PM
I know he's been in the business a long time, but I always wonder who he 'hears' this stuff from? Rival GM's? Someone in the organization he rubs elbows with? I'd love to see Buster's source list, I think it's a decent one.

I have a feeling Buster Yankee gets it from a Yankee insider, maybe even the NY Post. I swear this guy may have the worst sources of any baseball reporter I know.

Will M
07-18-2010, 01:18 PM
http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2010/07/18/gonzalez_likely_is_gonzo_its_now_a_matter_of_when/?page=full

Ty Wigginton, INF, Orioles — Awaiting some trade movement with Wigginton, whose righthanded bat and versatility make him attractive to teams such as the Reds, Rays, Angels, and even the Yankees. Wigginton has no idea what could happen, but while he likes playing in Baltimore he wouldn’t mind being in a playoff race.

Mario-Rijo
07-18-2010, 02:04 PM
Disregard, moved to Volquez's return thread.

LoganBuck
07-19-2010, 07:40 AM
From Yahoo Sports

The scouting seats at Camden Yards were nearly full Sunday, as the Reds, Dodgers, Rangers, Marlins, Astros, Tigers, Phillies, Mets, Cardinals and Rays each had representatives to watch the series finale against Toronto, The Sun reported on its website.

The_jbh
07-19-2010, 12:17 PM
Wigginton would be a great bat off the bench and could improve the Miguel Cairo drop off when we need to sit/rest Rolen. I certainly wouldn't be opposed to him if the price is reasonable.

Brutus
07-19-2010, 12:22 PM
Wigginton would be a great addition. It's clear, given the amount Rolen is on the bench, the Reds could stand to benefit from an upgrade at that position. Having Wigginton in the lineup every other day (whether backing up Rolen, Votto or Phillips) would be a tremendous advantage. It certainly gives a lot of insurance in the event Rolen goes down for more than a few days.

pedro
07-19-2010, 12:23 PM
I agree he'd be an upgrade but Wigginton has been horrible the last two months.....Sub .600 OPS.

kaldaniels
07-19-2010, 12:26 PM
Would Gomes be a good trade piece...cheap contract, would someone greatly overpay for him?

camisadelgolf
07-19-2010, 01:47 PM
I understand the interest in Wigginton, but would anyone rather have Aubrey Huff instead? I realize the Giants are looking to buy, but if they tank over the next week or so, they could become sellers. Even if the Giants aren't looking to sell, they might be okay with trading him since Burrell and Posey are doing well.

Huff could platoon with Gomes, play third base in a pinch, spell Votto every once in a while, and put up great numbers in GABP.

LoganBuck
07-19-2010, 02:36 PM
I understand the interest in Wigginton, but would anyone rather have Aubrey Huff instead? I realize the Giants are looking to buy, but if they tank over the next week or so, they could become sellers. Even if the Giants aren't looking to sell, they might be okay with trading him since Burrell and Posey are doing well.

Huff could platoon with Gomes, play third base in a pinch, spell Votto every once in a while, and put up great numbers in GABP.

The Giants pitching means that unless they get to 10+ games out, they are still within striking range. They aren't trading away anybody.

OldXOhio
07-19-2010, 02:38 PM
From Yahoo Sports

Were the scouts there to see Wiggington or a TOR reliever?

LoganBuck
07-19-2010, 02:46 PM
Were the scouts there to see Wiggington or a TOR reliever?

Wigginton, was how the story was worded, but given Walt's known OP, I would guess it could be both. Here is the link to the story.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=Aoj1oBUruDvJESptT8bJM_OFCLcF?slug=teamre ports-2010-mlb-bal

Scott Downs is an interesting name in Toronto. Pedro is right about Wigginton's last two months.

camisadelgolf
07-19-2010, 02:52 PM
The Giants pitching means that unless they get to 10+ games out, they are still within striking range. They aren't trading away anybody.
To get Huff, there's no doubt that the Reds would have to give up someone who's major league-ready. The rise of other players had made Huff expendable, and the Giants may trade him in an effort to upgrade at weaker areas.

TheNext44
07-20-2010, 11:24 AM
Bob Elliott of the Toronto Sun says the Reds were scouting catcher John Buck:

http://www.torontosun.com/sports/columnists/bob_elliott/2010/07/19/14761691.html

The Cincinnati Reds, who also need help behind the plate and would be interested in Buck, had Jeff Taylor in Baltimore on the weekend.

Although, I would think that it was more likely that the Reds were scouting Frasor, Gregg or Downs. I have not heard that the Reds think they need help behind the plate this season, unless they are worried about Hernandez being out longer than expected and Hanigan not being fully healthy.

camisadelgolf
07-20-2010, 11:28 AM
Scouting John Buck would probably be more about 2011 than 2010.

reds44
07-20-2010, 01:00 PM
Yeah, I'm not sure Buck makes a lot of sense.

smith288
07-20-2010, 01:07 PM
Barry Bonds anyone?

(kidding)

Scrap Irony
07-20-2010, 01:55 PM
Buck could be a Type B free agent, correct? If so, a deal could be a decent option. (Of course, I've been beating the Buck bandwagon for, like, three years now, so I'm biased.)

I'd guess a Soto and Maloney deal would make sense for both teams.

membengal
07-20-2010, 02:07 PM
Is the theory to have Buck to replace Ramon? Is Ramon hurt more than we know?

Blimpie
07-20-2010, 02:18 PM
As he is a former star for the Lexington Legends, I would personally love to see Buck wearing Red next year.

TRF
07-20-2010, 02:44 PM
KC has had two pretty good catchers leave their team in the last couple of years. Buck and Olivo. Sucks to be a KC fan.

camisadelgolf
07-20-2010, 02:55 PM
Sucks to be a KC fan.
I hate to say it, but this will probably never stop being true. But KC fans, if you're reading this, it could be worse: you could be an Astros fan. :D

Mario-Rijo
07-20-2010, 04:41 PM
Bob Elliott of the Toronto Sun says the Reds were scouting catcher John Buck:

http://www.torontosun.com/sports/columnists/bob_elliott/2010/07/19/14761691.html

Although, I would think that it was more likely that the Reds were scouting Frasor, Gregg or Downs. I have not heard that the Reds think they need help behind the plate this season, unless they are worried about Hernandez being out longer than expected and Hanigan not being fully healthy.

I said it when Ramon went down, he just had surgery on that thing and it has starter to bother him already, I doubt he comes back.

Mario-Rijo
07-20-2010, 04:43 PM
I hate to say it, but this will probably never stop being true. But KC fans, if you're reading this, it could be worse: you could be an Astros fan. :D

You mean this don't you?

http://i.cdn.turner.com/sivault/multimedia/photo_gallery/0909/long.term.losers/images/pirates-fans.jpg

KronoRed
07-20-2010, 05:06 PM
I hate to say it, but this will probably never stop being true.

Nah, if the Reds can rise from the junk so can the Royals.

Mario-Rijo
07-20-2010, 07:20 PM
Is the theory to have Buck to replace Ramon? Is Ramon hurt more than we know?

On 2nd thought maybe Hanny isn't right.

membengal
07-20-2010, 08:19 PM
On 2nd thought maybe Hanny isn't right.

Got me.

But one of them must not be if the Reds are kicking the tires on a catcher, either Ramon or Hanny must be some sort of questionmark to Walt due to health, I would think.

membengal
07-20-2010, 08:24 PM
A very modest trade target idea:

Luke Scott (OF/1b for the Orioles)

The ex-Astro lefty hitter would be a HUGE upgrade to Nix and a back-up option to Joey at 1b (he's logged 10 games at 1b for the O's this year).

Coming into tonite's game Scott's 2010:

.273/.346/.515 for an .862

His platoon splits are actually pretty even this year, altho he does, not unexpectedly, hit righties a bit better.

This team would be markedly better with him on it, and I can't imagine it would take all that much to get him from Baltimore.

Just a thought.

ETA: He's also hit two more homers tonite, giving him 14 for the year. His stats page from baseballreference.com:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/s/scottlu01.shtml

Blitz Dorsey
07-20-2010, 08:27 PM
I would love for the Reds to get Buck. Probably won't happen though. With the year he's having, the Blue Jays will want a good return for him.

Chip R
07-20-2010, 08:30 PM
Got me.

But one of them must not be if the Reds are kicking the tires on a catcher, either Ramon or Hanny must be some sort of questionmark to Walt due to health, I would think.

I think Razor Ramon's deal is up after this season. He's been out for a significant time each of the last two seasons with knee problems. Plus he's on the wrong side of 30. Neither are good things for a catcher. Walt could just be proactive.

membengal
07-20-2010, 08:32 PM
Chip:

Sure, that could be it. I guess I was not wandering down that road because I am still not a fan of carrying three catchers...

nemesis
07-20-2010, 09:06 PM
If Rolen goes on the DL how about a Bautistia and Buck deal? Bautista hit number 26 tonight and Buck has doubled. Bautista can play LF, RF and 3B. Could be a great platoon partner for Gomes, Bruce and a upgrade over Nix as a pinch hitter and Cairo as a 3B fill in.

REDblooded
07-20-2010, 10:46 PM
My dream trade would be to land Webb/Drew from the DBacks... Webb as a low-cost guy that could possibly pitch in the playoffs... If not, he gets comfortable being in Cincinnati, and signs at a discount...

membengal
07-20-2010, 10:48 PM
REDBlooded, I really think Webb is a non-factor for anyone. It remains an open question whether he will EVER pitch effectively again.

bucksfan2
07-21-2010, 08:48 AM
REDBlooded, I really think Webb is a non-factor for anyone. It remains an open question whether he will EVER pitch effectively again.

I think Webb would be a perfect target in the off season to bring along on a minor league type deal, or even a minimum major league contract and see if you can get his health issues worked out.

But I am leaning more to your way of thinking. I don't know if he will ever pitch effectively again, but........ if he can return....................

membengal
07-21-2010, 09:30 AM
His return is an open question, and I am not seeing a lot of need on the 2011 staff for that kind of question...

membengal
07-21-2010, 09:37 AM
Olney was just on Mike and Mike and said the Phillies are working hard on closing a deal for Oswalt.

To help with the dollars they are also working on a deal to send Jayson Werth to the Rays.

I hope Olney is onto something. I would love to get Oswalt out of Houston before the Reds finish their slate against the Astros this season.

Mario-Rijo
07-21-2010, 04:24 PM
Olney was just on Mike and Mike and said the Phillies are working hard on closing a deal for Oswalt.

To help with the dollars they are also working on a deal to send Jayson Werth to the Rays.

I hope Olney is onto something. I would love to get Oswalt out of Houston before the Reds finish their slate against the Astros this season.

And Werth out of Philly as well would be nice. Much rather face Oswalt once in the playoffs (if it worked out that way) than Werth every game. A bit surprised that the Rays are being targeted as someone to help with the dollars. But TB certainly would have a net gain in talent, hypothetically speaking turning a couple of comp choices around.

reds44
07-21-2010, 04:30 PM
Don't the Phillies need hitting? Yeah, pitching is awesome, but eventually you have to score.

membengal
07-21-2010, 04:34 PM
Olney said in that spot this theoretical deal would be as much for 2011 for Philly as for this year as they would have Oswalt for next year as well. Plus, the thought is that it is presumed Minor League POY Dominic Brown would be called up to replace Werth.

Mario-Rijo
07-21-2010, 05:24 PM
Olney said in that spot this theoretical deal would be as much for 2011 for Philly as for this year as they would have Oswalt for next year as well. Plus, the thought is that it is presumed Minor League POY Dominic Brown would be called up to replace Werth.

pdated: July 21, 2010, 4:39 PM ET
Oswalt could throw wrench in deal

By Jayson Stark
ESPN.com
Archive

Roy Oswalt's contract demands could be on the verge of blowing up a potential deal that would send the Houston Astros ace to Philadelphia.

Oswalt is asking for the Phillies, or any team that acquires him, to guarantee his $16 million option in 2012 before he would approve a trade, according to two sources familiar with the discussions.

And the Phillies, for now at least, are balking at that request. So unless one side or both changes or softens its stance, Oswalt could be staying put, and the Phillies could be forced to take their hunt for pitching elsewhere.

Oswalt, 32, has about $7 million left on his $15 million salary for this year, plus a guaranteed $16 million next season and either a $2 million buyout or that $16 million option for 2012.

membengal
07-21-2010, 05:29 PM
Can't blame the Phillies for balking at 2012. I can see dollars for 2011, but that may be a bit much to bite off beyond that.

11larkin11
07-21-2010, 07:43 PM
via The Loose Cannon's Twitter

johnfayman That John Buck, #Reds talk out there? I was told there is nothing to it

REDblooded
07-21-2010, 11:13 PM

The issue at stake though, is that if the DBacks believe he's walking at the end of the year, and won't pitch effectively this season, it should be a rather cheap addition... Why not take that chance?

Falls City Beer
07-21-2010, 11:14 PM
Phillies are deader than dog turds. I can't imagine why they think they're still in it.

BrooklynRedz
07-22-2010, 12:21 AM
The issue at stake though, is that if the DBacks believe he's walking at the end of the year, and won't pitch effectively this season, it should be a rather cheap addition... Why not take that chance?

He'll sign with the Reds during the offseason.

Brutus
07-22-2010, 12:25 AM
He'll sign with the Reds during the offseason.

Guessing or have you heard things?

corkedbat
07-22-2010, 12:41 AM
Guessing or have you heard things?

I've got a feeling Webb ends up in a Cardinal unifrom.

Reds/Flyers Fan
07-22-2010, 01:19 AM
I've got a feeling Webb ends up in a Cardinal unifrom.

The Cardinals can't get everybody. :thumbdown

corkedbat
07-22-2010, 01:28 AM
The Cardinals can't get everybody. :thumbdown

wrote that before i saw the Oswalt post

Mario-Rijo
07-24-2010, 07:23 PM
Just a few thoughts here...

#1 - Oswalt dealt at the deadline to the Cards which would in theory give him 2 opportunities to tie for the 'Stros career wins record or if he wins both (tonight and Milwaukee) become #1 all by himself. Also It means he starts against us and Milwaukee the 2 closest teams to St. Louis, whereas if he is a Card he pitches against the Pirates next time around instead. And if so he would be in line to start against the Reds yet again as a Card in a few weeks.

#2 - Since Alberto Callaspo has now been dealt and DeJesus is hurt my new favorite deadline target to help the offense a bit and fill in around the IF as a LH IF bat off the bench is Kelly Johnson and of course Craig Counsell is still on my list. I doubt either of those happen for various reasons but I think they would really help in certain key instances which we don't have answers for. I know Kelly Johnson is only a 2B (though he has played a few games in the OF/LF) and we have Janish and Cairo, I would go with 4 OF's if need be to make this work with Nix hitting the waiver wire.

mth123
07-24-2010, 07:31 PM
Just a few thoughts here...

#1 - Oswalt dealt at the deadline to the Cards which would in theory give him 2 opportunities to tie for the 'Stros career wins record or if he wins both (tonight and Milwaukee) become #1 all by himself. Also It means he starts against us and Milwaukee the 2 closest teams to St. Louis, whereas if he is a Card he pitches against the Pirates next time around instead. And if so he would be in line to start against the Reds yet again as a Card in a few weeks.

#2 - Since Alberto Callaspo has now been dealt and DeJesus is hurt my new favorite deadline target to help the offense a bit and fill in around the IF as a LH IF bat off the bench is Kelly Johnson and of course Craig Counsell is still on my list. I doubt either of those happen for various reasons but I think they would really help in certain key instances which we don't have answers for. I know Kelly Johnson is only a 2B (though he has played a few games in the OF/LF) and we have Janish and Cairo, I would go with 4 OF's if need be to make this work with Nix hitting the waiver wire.

I thought Johnson was actually an OF who was converted into a below average defender at 2B. Johnson as a supersub in the OF and for when Phillips needs a rest would be a nice, nice addition. I wonder if he can play 3B.

That said, I think this thread is for actual published reports and not ideas of our own making so I'll stop there.

Mario-Rijo
07-24-2010, 07:53 PM
I thought Johnson was actually an OF who was converted into a below average defender at 2B. Johnson as a supersub in the OF and for when Phillips needs a rest would be a nice, nice addition. I wonder if he can play 3B.

That said, I think this thread is for actual published reports and not ideas of our own making so I'll stop there.

I'm starting the speculation on the Johnson to Reds potential rumor. Sometimes I think it's ideas spawned on forums that results in "rumors" from the AP. But yeah I forgot Johnson started in LF, he'd be an upgrade to Dickerson or Nix.

corkedbat
07-24-2010, 11:23 PM
I'd think something almost has to happen this week, even if it's minor deals for minor leaguers.

We might see a starter, a reliever, bat or bench player or we might just stand pat as far as the 25-man goes, but I'd say we move a starter at the very least. Homer would be my guess. If he shows well in his rehab start Monday, I'd think that there is a team that's out of it right now that might take a flier on Homer's raw talent. Maybe to the O's in a deal for Ty Wiggington. the Nats for Josh Willingham or even the Fish for Cody Ross?

OnBaseMachine
07-26-2010, 11:59 AM
A guy I would look at acquiring is Jose Bautista of the Blue Jays. He's only 29 years old and is currently hitting .242/.355/.548 - .903 OPS and his BABIP is only .232. He can play 3B and both corner outfield positions. I think he would be a great addition to the Reds offense.

Marc D
07-26-2010, 12:07 PM
A guy I would look at acquiring is Jose Bautista of the Blue Jays. He's only 29 years old and is currently hitting .242/.355/.548 - .903 OPS and his BABIP is only .232. He can play 3B and both corner outfield positions. I think he would be a great addition to the Reds offense.

I think he's playing way over his head but its a name that's been in the back of my mind for a while. Couple of prospects to Toronto for Bautista and Downs helps the pen and bench in one shot.

Falls City Beer
07-26-2010, 12:08 PM
I think he's playing way over his head but its a name that's been in the back of my mind for a while. Couple of prospects to Toronto for Bautista and Downs helps the pen and bench in one shot.

It would be a nice mini-blockbuster.

Ron Madden
07-26-2010, 02:58 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if Walt stands pat.

Not sayin' he will stand pat just that I wouldn't be surprised if he did.

OesterPoster
07-26-2010, 03:20 PM
Buster_ESPN
Heard this: The Nats have made progress in their effort to trade prospects for Edwin Jackson. 1 minute ago via web

HokieRed
07-26-2010, 03:46 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if Walt stands pat.

Not sayin' he will stand pat just that I wouldn't be surprised if he did.

Neither would I. I'd be more surprised if he overpaid, especially since the very short list of difference-makers is actually already gone (list that may only have had one name on it.)

Will M
07-26-2010, 07:32 PM
since its a slow news day i'll report:
Jayson Werth is not in Monday’s Lineup for the Phillies.

Mario-Rijo
07-27-2010, 02:37 PM
since its a slow news day i'll report:
Jayson Werth is not in Monday’s Lineup for the Phillies.

Sunday, ESPN The Magazine's Buster Olney tweeted that in the past 48 hours the Phillies have been looking for a match for Werth that could net them a No. 4 starter or better as a second option to any deal for Oswalt or Haren.

Is Harang back yet?

OnBaseMachine
07-27-2010, 02:53 PM
MLB.com lists David Aardsma as a possible target for the Reds.

RHP David Aardsma, Mariners

Contract status: $2.75M in 2010; two arbitration-eligible years thereafter
2010 stats: 4.73 ERA, 1.268 WHIP, 2.33 K/BB, 18-22 SV, 32 1/3 IP
Analysis: After a stellar year last season -- a 2.52 ERA in 73 games -- Aardsma has struggled in 2010, but he has registered five consecutive scoreless appearances. In save situations, the 28-year-old has a 4.05 ERA. The Tigers and Reds seem like the best fit at this point.

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20100727&content_id=12673312&vkey=tradedeadline2010&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

Gallen5862
07-27-2010, 05:32 PM
Two more Players available Per MLB Trade Rumors.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

Marlins Release Nate Robertson
By Ben Nicholson-Smith [July 27 at 4:04pm CST]
The Marlins released Nate Robertson, according to Joe Capozzi of the Palm Beach Post (Twitter link). Robertson struggled as a starter this season and the Marlins designated him for assignment last week. Today, the Marlins designated minor league right-hander Kris Harvey for assignment, according to Capozzi (Twitter link).

Robertson’s stats (5.47 ERA, 5.5 K/9 and 3.6BB/9) aren’t pretty and the outing against the Rockies that preceded his DFA was ugly (7 ER in 5.0 innings). However, his splits suggest he could be more effective out of the bullpen against lefties. The Tigers, Robertson’s former team, don’t appear to have interest. Any club can now sign Robertson for a pro-rated portion of the MLB minimum.

Indians Designate Wes Hodges For Assignment
By Tim Dierkes [July 27 at 12:54pm CST]
The Indians designated infielder Wes Hodges for assignment to make room for pitcher Josh Tomlin, according to the team.

Hodges, a second-round pick of the Indians in 2006, was hitting .270/.316/.423 this year in his second Triple A stint. He came up as a third baseman, but has been playing first base and DH this year. Baseball America ranked him 27th among Indians prospects heading into the season, citing health issues and the move off third base.

Gallen5862
07-27-2010, 07:06 PM
Here is another player to consider.

Rockies Designate Brad Eldred For Assignment
By Ben Nicholson-Smith [July 27 at 5:23pm CST]
The Rockies designated Brad Eldred for assignment to make room for Troy Tulowitzki, according to Steve Foster of Inside the Rockies. Five weeks after breaking his wrist, Tulowitzki returns to the Rockies lineup, so Eldred no longer has a place on the major league roster.

The 30-year-old first baseman batted just 27 times with Colorado, hitting one homer and posting a .750 OPS. Eldred has 196 minor league home runs and posted a .267/.323/.575 line at Triple A this year before getting the call to the majors.

reds44
07-28-2010, 12:41 AM
johnfayman Spoke to Walt Jocketty after the game. He said nothing is in works as far as trades. "It's been very quiet," he said. #reds

Cedric
07-28-2010, 12:50 AM
johnfayman Spoke to Walt Jocketty after the game. He said nothing is in works as far as trades. "It's been very quiet," he said. #reds

I don't see any possible moves either. Other than a possible relief pitcher I can't imagine the Reds make a move.

fearofpopvol1
07-28-2010, 02:21 AM
ESPN Insider stated: Right-hander Chad Qualls might be a cheap option for a club such as Cincinnati.

fearofpopvol1
07-28-2010, 02:22 AM
Also from Insider...here's just a tiny piece about the Cards...who they are claiming are interested in these guys:

Among those are right-handers Jake Westbrook of the Cleveland Indians, Milwaukee's Dave Bush and Washington's Livan Hernandez. We wonder if Ted Lilly and Brett Myers might also be possibilities, though Mozeliak did hint that making a deal with a division rival is a bit trickier.

Will M
07-28-2010, 02:46 AM
ESPN Insider stated: Right-hander Chad Qualls might be a cheap option for a club such as Cincinnati.

aren't all our options 'cheap'? seems like an unnecessary adjective.

LoganBuck
07-28-2010, 07:39 AM
Mark Sheldon, said during the broadcast last night, that it is "too quiet", and he thinks something goes down. He went on to say that Walt has been staying at the hotel sequestered away with his braintrust, and has been coming to the park late on this road trip.

HotCorner
07-28-2010, 08:46 AM
I wonder whether Volquez's struggles will prompt Walt to consider Oswalt.

lollipopcurve
07-28-2010, 08:49 AM
Mark Sheldon, said during the broadcast last night, that it is "too quiet", and he thinks something goes down. He went on to say that Walt has been staying at the hotel sequestered away with his braintrust, and has been coming to the park late on this road trip.

I agree. I think they didn't like losing out on Lee and will be determined to get something done. I wouldn't be surprised if it's a big move, though those are very difficult to pull off quietly this time of year. They'll do something for sure.

OesterPoster
07-28-2010, 09:22 AM
I agree. I think they didn't like losing out on Lee and will be determined to get something done. I wouldn't be surprised if it's a big move, though those are very difficult to pull off quietly this time of year. They'll do something for sure.

Same here. The continual tanking of Gomes at the plate has me hopeful for an impact bat coming in via trade. No idea who though.

OnBaseMachine
07-28-2010, 12:27 PM
From John Fay's twitter:

Jocketty: Very good chance we won't do anything before the deadline.

http://twitter.com/johnfayman

Reds standing pat = Reds watching the playoffs from home. JMO. This is a good team but I'm not sure if it's good enough to win 90 games without making a move.

OnBaseMachine
07-28-2010, 12:33 PM
And now this from Jon Morosi:

#Reds looking for 8th inning help, sources say

http://twitter.com/jonmorosi

OesterPoster
07-28-2010, 12:41 PM
I don't think Walt is one to go blabbing about a potential trade. If one happens, it'll come out of nowhere, IMO.

GoReds
07-28-2010, 12:48 PM
Jocketty is no Jimbo when it comes to proclaiming his trade intentions, which I very much appreciate.

OnBaseMachine
07-28-2010, 12:51 PM
From John Fay:

As far offensive help, Jocketty isn’t pursuing anything.

“Not really,” he said. “I don’t see many offensive guys who can help us. Nothing has stood out.”

Josh Willingham? Jayson Werth? Stephen Drew?

Jocketty is still looking for an experienced bullpen arm. But with Jason Isringhasuen and Russ Springer at Louisville, the Reds may not make a move.”

Relying on two old guys who haven't pitched since last year isn't a very wise move, IMO.

As far as leadoff help — the Reds are last in the National League in on-base percentage from the leadoff spot — Jocketty said the Reds are likely to go with what they’ve got.

“I don’t think there’s anyone out there that can help us,” Jocketty said. “We’re going to have to deal with it from within. Brandon (Phillips) did a good job earlier and I think is still capable.”

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/2010/07/28/jocketty-very-good-chance-reds-wont-make-a-trade-before-deadline/

medford
07-28-2010, 01:03 PM
Josh Willingham? Jayson Werth? Stephen Drew?

Depends on what they're asking for, but Walt would be stupid to come out and say "we've got to get an impact bat or all hope is lost" then oppossing GMs will hold out for a little more, vs if he says "not sure anyone can help us" now they feel like they've got to lower their demands if they want to move someone.

Scrap Irony
07-28-2010, 01:15 PM
I am suprised Cincinnati hasn't been linked to Jayson Werth. He seems like a natural fit.

The Voice of IH
07-28-2010, 01:17 PM
Relying on two old guys who haven't pitched since last year isn't a very wise move, IMO.

They are not relying on them, they are just role players. Springer and Isringhasuen has been pretty good in the minors at last check, and have proven themselves before. we really just need 1 of those to pan out to be successful (assuming Baily comes back strong)

The Voice of IH
07-28-2010, 01:19 PM
I am suprised Cincinnati hasn't been linked to Jayson Werth. He seems like a natural fit.

Jocketty and co are obliviously set on their plan to develop their own outfield. They have been WAY PATIENT with the guys out there. If Bruce and Stubbs where not young and seen as the feature, there is no way they would still be out there.

Homer Bailey
07-28-2010, 01:19 PM
It's easy to throw out names on a message board and made fake trade proposals for these guys, but the harsh reality is that we probably have 5% of the information on these situations as the guys in charge do, and it is very difficult for two sides to come to an agreement on what is fair value for certain players.

I have confidence that if the right situation presents itself, Walt will make a move. I don't think he is going to overpay for what is on the market, which doesn't seem like a whole lot.

OesterPoster
07-28-2010, 01:25 PM
Man, the Tweets from Rosenthal, Buster, and Morosi are coming fast and furious today. Nothing very interesting yet though.

reds44
07-28-2010, 01:41 PM
I don't know how much I'd believe Jocketty. Of course he's going to say that.

OnBaseMachine
07-28-2010, 01:48 PM
The Cat reports the Reds are very interested and active in the Roy Oswalt trade talks. Listen live on @insideSTL or @590TheFanKFNS

http://twitter.com/tmckernan

reds44
07-28-2010, 01:50 PM
I firmly believe Walt has something up his sleeve.

He knows what he's doing. If he ends up doing nothing, I'll still believe he knows what he's doing.

HotCorner
07-28-2010, 01:57 PM
The Cat reports the Reds are very interested and active in the Roy Oswalt trade talks. Listen live on @insideSTL or @590TheFanKFNS

http://twitter.com/tmckernan (http://twitter.com/tmckernan)

With Volquez's struggles, this makes a lot of sense.

Brutus
07-28-2010, 02:12 PM
It's easy to throw out names on a message board and made fake trade proposals for these guys, but the harsh reality is that we probably have 5% of the information on these situations as the guys in charge do, and it is very difficult for two sides to come to an agreement on what is fair value for certain players.

I have confidence that if the right situation presents itself, Walt will make a move. I don't think he is going to overpay for what is on the market, which doesn't seem like a whole lot.

Very true. Walt is very shrewd and plays things close to the vest. I'm not sure he'll be completely forthcoming about his intentions. Plus, he did say a few weeks ago he talks to about two-thirds of the league on a weekly basis--so he clearly is out there having dialog.

I doubt there's a name out there that's been discussed on this board that Jocketty hasn't inquired about. Some perhaps are not interesting to the organization, others have too high an asking price from their teams and the rest might just be a good match to get a trade done. But I have no doubts if there's a trade to be made, they're looking for it.

nate
07-28-2010, 02:18 PM
I firmly believe Walt has something up his sleeve.

He knows what he's doing. If he ends up doing nothing, I'll still believe he knows what he's doing.

Arms?

DOUBLE ENTENDRE!

:cool:

OnBaseMachine
07-28-2010, 02:25 PM
From Ken Rosenthal:

#Reds made cursory call on Oswalt. No names exchanged, but interest would make sense. Reds also were on C. Lee. #Astros #Phillies #MLB

http://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal

Playadlc
07-28-2010, 02:27 PM

http://twitter.com/tmckernan

I always kinda felt that we would enter the Oswalt sweepstakes. No way will Walt stand pat if St. Louis is after him as well.

Jpup
07-28-2010, 02:28 PM
#Reds made cursory call on Oswalt. No names exchanged, but interest would make sense. Reds also were on C. Lee. #Astros #Phillies #MLB

Per Ken Rosenthal's twitter.

Ghosts of 1990
07-28-2010, 02:51 PM
C. Lee from Houston is Carlos Lee (many will think that tweet means Cliff Lee).

Patrick Bateman
07-28-2010, 02:52 PM

It is about Cliff Lee, read closer (as in the Reds "were" in on Lee" as an explanation as to why they might be in on Oswalt).

LoganBuck
07-28-2010, 02:52 PM

I read that as Cliff Lee

nate
07-28-2010, 02:53 PM

Really?

I took the tweet to mean the Reds were in on Cliff Lee before the Rangers got him.

Why would we want Carlos Lee?

Ghosts of 1990
07-28-2010, 02:53 PM
It is about Cliff Lee, read closer (as in the Reds "were" in on Lee" as an explanation as to why they might be in on Oswalt).

gotcha. Thank you.

LoganBuck
07-28-2010, 03:06 PM
Last season the Reds made three trades near the deadline.

Scott Rolen, it was definately rumored but Walt wasn't talking and there were denials on the Reds side of the equation.

Jerry Hairston Jr to the Yankees. This trade came completely out of the blue. No rumors at all.

Alex Gonzalez to the Red Sox, again no rumors. The trade just came down.

At the deadline last season Redszone was worried about potential trades of Harang or Arroyo to the Angels. National media types reported on those supposed trade talks.

Walt is submarine captain. He runs silent and deep, you don't know when or where he is going to pop up, but you can be sure he will.

Ghosts of 1990
07-28-2010, 03:21 PM
Anyone else heard that Oswalt doesn't want to come to Cincinnati?

KoryMac5
07-28-2010, 03:43 PM

You pick up the option on him and he will come here, no question.

CTA513
07-28-2010, 03:54 PM
Really?

I took the tweet to mean the Reds were in on Cliff Lee before the Rangers got him.

Why would we want Carlos Lee?

Gomes in LF, Nix in CF and Lee in RF

:fineprint

KronoRed
07-28-2010, 04:00 PM

Outfield of champions...oh wait I mean slow as molasses :D

nate
07-28-2010, 04:01 PM

Dude...

bucksfan2
07-28-2010, 04:07 PM
Carlos Lee .237/.281/.382 OPS .662, OPS+ 77. Thats a bargain for $18.5M this season with $37M left over the next 2 years.

Mario-Rijo
07-28-2010, 04:18 PM

Yes also heard Drayton Mclane doesn't want to deal Oswalt inside the division which was one of the lesser hangups with the Cards.

medford
07-28-2010, 04:41 PM
Yes also heard Drayton Mclane doesn't want to deal Oswalt inside the division which was one of the lesser hangups with the Cards.

If you're trading Oswalt you're likely not competing for anything the next couple of years anyways (I doubt you if you keep oswalt due to the salary constraints of Lee, Oswalt & Berkman), so who cares if you trade him in division or not. Get the best package you can and start rebuilding from the ground up.

fearofpopvol1
07-28-2010, 04:57 PM

This is what I thought? Can anyone confirm that?

If the Reds managed to get Oswalt, this team would instantly become favorites. I'd really like for them to get Werth for LF too. I do think they need another solid bat.

Mario-Rijo
07-28-2010, 05:01 PM
If you're trading Oswalt you're likely not competing for anything the next couple of years anyways (I doubt you if you keep oswalt due to the salary constraints of Lee, Oswalt & Berkman), so who cares if you trade him in division or not. Get the best package you can and start rebuilding from the ground up.

Agree, but not sure the 'Stros braintrust does.

Reds Fanatic
07-29-2010, 01:07 PM
This is from Jon Heyman at SI:

The Reds are looking for a bat. Both they and the Phillies called about the Brewers about All-Star outfielder Corey Hart, but he's still more likely to stay in MIlwaukee.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/baseball/mlb/07/28/heyman.downs/index.html?eref=sircrc#ixzz0v5lPyKED

CTA513
07-29-2010, 01:08 PM
This is from Jon Heymann at SI:

Isn't Hart hurt?

Reds Fanatic
07-29-2010, 01:10 PM
Isn't Hart hurt?

He has a wrist injury but I think he is expected to only be out a few days with that injury.

Homer Bailey
07-29-2010, 01:10 PM
Isn't Hart hurt?

Yes, but not on the DL. Wrist injury not believed to be serious, if I remember right.

johngalt
07-29-2010, 01:14 PM

Not necessarily true. Oswalt would definitely be willing to come to Cincinnati now that the Reds have a good young club and are moving upward.

It's more about the money aspect.

reds44
07-29-2010, 01:17 PM
Hart would make a lot of sense.

fearofpopvol1
07-29-2010, 01:26 PM
Cardinals are reportedly looking into Tejada from the O's.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/MLB-latest-news-from-July-070110

Homer Bailey
07-29-2010, 01:41 PM
I'd be absolutely stunned if the Cardinals don't acquire some sort of SP over the next 3 days. No way they plan on going down the stretch with a rookie reaching (I would imagine) some sort of inning limit, and a 4-5 of Hawksworthless and Jeff "wash your hands and get ready for" Suppan "cuz it's going to be a feast."

HeatherC1212
07-29-2010, 01:43 PM
Cardinals are reportedly looking into Tejada from the O's.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/MLB-latest-news-from-July-070110

This report was shot down by the St. Louis reporters although they did confirm a slight interest in Miggy.

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/baseball/professional/article_3f6067c5-b082-5397-acc4-437c81b236c7.html

A report surfaced Wednesday that the Cardinals were interested in Baltimore third baseman Miguel Tejada, and while the Cardinals contacted the Orioles about the veteran, a source said there was "no traction" for a deal.

nemesis
07-29-2010, 02:37 PM
What do you think it would take to get Hart?

Heisey would be the instant no Duh piece. But the add on pieces? Maybe Fariel and Boxberger?

camisadelgolf
07-29-2010, 03:40 PM
What do you think it would take to get Hart?
Yonder Alonso (Prince Fielder replacement), Chris Heisey (upgrade over Carlos Gomez), and Homer Bailey (who doesn't want pitching depth with a high ceiling?) would get the deal done, but why would the Brewers want to move Corey Hart? They can go into 2011 with the same lineup and potentially improved pitching if they play their cards right.

Cedric
07-29-2010, 03:43 PM
Yonder Alonso (Prince Fielder replacement), Chris Heisey (upgrade over Carlos Gomez), and Homer Bailey (who doesn't want pitching depth with a high ceiling?) would get the deal done, but why would the Brewers want to move Corey Hart? They can go into 2011 with the same lineup and potentially improved pitching if they play their cards right.

That is a HUGE haul for Corey Hart.

nemesis
07-29-2010, 03:43 PM

I always figured Matt Gamel was going to be Fielder's replacement.

camisadelgolf
07-29-2010, 03:46 PM
That is a HUGE haul for Corey Hart.
I agree. The Brewers would have to add more to the deal. But the idea behind a trade is that it helps both teams, and this trade would do that. If you go into every deal with the intent of ripping off the opposing GM regardless of helping your team win, you're going to burn a lot of bridges. See: Jim Bowden.

camisadelgolf
07-29-2010, 03:48 PM
Mat Gamel is Milwaukee's Edwin Encarnacion. He's a decent hitter, but he's not good enough on offense at first base nor good enough on defense at third base to be an everyday player.

Mario-Rijo
07-29-2010, 03:49 PM

Exactly and the Brew Crew is concentrating heavily on acquiring arms. I would offer them a Bailey and Maloney/Sulbaran package perhaps toss in a relief arm to get it done but not a prominent one.

TheNext44
07-29-2010, 03:53 PM
Hart is a butcher in the field. And very inconsistent with the bat. He's a league average RF at best, and a below average DH at worst. Plus he's expensive and will be very expensive next year. I personally wouldn't offer them Cairo for him.

Mario-Rijo
07-29-2010, 03:57 PM
Hart is a butcher in the field. And very inconsistent with the bat. He's a league average RF at best, and a below average DH at worst. Plus he's expensive and will be very expensive next year. I personally wouldn't offer them Cairo for him.

Well then we'd have 2 subpar defenders in LF with inconsistent bats, we could go with the hot hand then.

OnBaseMachine
07-29-2010, 03:59 PM
Jon Morosi lists the Reds as one of the teams that needs to make a deal.

Cincinnati Reds — tied for first in National League Central

The Reds are the challenger. The Cardinals are the champs. In order to win, Cincinnati needs to get every tangible advantage possible, because St. Louis is going to have the edge in experience.

Pitching would be a good place for Reds GM Walt Jocketty to start. A young rotation has meant a heavy workload for the bullpen, which ranks in the bottom half of the NL in ERA. Nick Masset needs help in the eighth inning.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/morosi-make-a-deal-before-deadline-072910

TheNext44
07-29-2010, 04:10 PM
Jon Morosi lists the Reds as one of the teams that needs to make a deal.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/morosi-make-a-deal-before-deadline-072910

Cardinals have 155 games of playoff experience on the roster.
Reds have 141 games of playoff experience on the roster.

I don't know how the Reds could ever make that up. :rolleyes:

OnBaseMachine
07-29-2010, 04:13 PM
From Buster Olney:

Heard this: The Rockies are willing to listen to offers on Rafael Betancourt, Joe Beimel and Brad Hawpe

http://twitter.com/Buster_ESPN

Betancourt would be a nice addition to the bullpen. His ERA isn't anything special at 4.50, but he's got 5 BB/43 K in 36 innings and a .374 BABIP against.

harangatang
07-29-2010, 04:21 PM
Cardinals have 155 games of playoff experience on the roster.
Reds have 141 games of playoff experience on the roster.

I don't know how the Reds could ever make that up. :rolleyes:How many of the games for the Reds were in a Cardinals uniform? Does this include Isringhausen?

camisadelgolf
07-29-2010, 04:26 PM
I'm so sick of the media saying the Reds are desperate for bullpen help. The bullpen isn't a strength, but it's not a weakness either.

PLAYER ERA OPS against
Cordero 4.18 .727
Masset 2.50 .668
Rhodes 1.74 .589
Ondrusek 0.78 .418
Smith 2.70 .691

Carlos Fisher has been lights out since his callup. Jared Burton, Enerio Del Rosario, Jason Isringhausen, Russ Springer, Micah Owings, Aroldis Chapman, etc. are waiting in the wings. Bill Bray might rebound. Homer Bailey might do well in the pen.

The Reds have no shortage of solid options for their bullpen. They got off to a horrible start, but they're now settled down and should pitch like expected from here on out. The Reds' biggest weakness is at shortstop, and an upgrade over Jonny Gomes in left field might not be a bad idea either.

reds44
07-29-2010, 04:26 PM
He's never going to see RF for the Reds. I think, at worst, he'd be average defensively in LF.

reds44
07-29-2010, 04:28 PM
I'm so sick of the media saying the Reds are desperate for bullpen help. The bullpen isn't a strength, but it's not a weakness either.

PLAYER ERA OPS against
Cordero 4.18 .727
Masset 2.50 .668
Rhodes 1.74 .589
Ondrusek 0.78 .418
Smith 2.70 .691

Carlos Fisher has been lights out since his callup. Jared Burton, Enerio Del Rosario, Jason Isringhausen, Russ Springer, Micah Owings, Aroldis Chapman, etc. are waiting in the wings. Bill Bray might rebound. Homer Bailey might do well in the pen.

The Reds have no shortage of solid options for their bullpen. They got off to a horrible start, but they're now settled down and should pitch like expected from here on out. The Reds' biggest weakness is at shortstop, and an upgrade over Jonny Gomes in left field might not be a bad idea either.
There's a lot of if's in the pen. I agree it's not a horrible set of pitchers, but IMO we could really use one more reliable arm for the stretch run.

buckeyenut
07-29-2010, 04:30 PM
Here are the teams and the guys I want now that Oswalt is gone.
Toronto - Downs, Bautista
Baltimore - Markasis, Scott
Kansas City - Gordon, Grienke, Soria
Cleveland - Choo,
Seattle - Aardsma
Florida - Ramirez, Johnson
Washington - Dunn, Willingham
New York Mets - Reyes, Santana
Milwaukee - Hart, Braun
Houston - Myers, Lindstrom
Pittsburgh - McCutcheon
Arizona - Drew
LA? - Furcal

Mario-Rijo
07-29-2010, 04:32 PM
How many of the games for the Reds were in a Cardinals uniform? Does this include Isringhausen?

Rolen, Cabrera, Arroyo, Ramon, Arthur, Cairo off the top of my head are the Reds with Playoff experience.

Mario-Rijo
07-29-2010, 04:35 PM
Here are the teams and the guys I want now that Oswalt is gone.
Toronto - Downs, Bautista
Baltimore - Markasis, Scott, Roberts
Kansas City - Gordon, Grienke, Soria
Cleveland - Choo, Asdrubal Cabrera
Seattle - Aardsma, League
Florida - Ramirez, Johnson, Nunez
Washington - Dunn, Willingham
New York Mets - Reyes, Santana
Milwaukee - Hart, Braun
Houston - Myers, Lindstrom
Pittsburgh - McCutcheon
Arizona - Drew, Kelly Johnson
LA? - Furcal

Some added ones here and in the bold.

LAA - Abreu, Izturis, Fuentes

buckeyenut
07-29-2010, 04:36 PM
From Buster Olney:

Heard this: The Rockies are willing to listen to offers on Rafael Betancourt, Joe Beimel and Brad Hawpe

http://twitter.com/Buster_ESPN

Betancourt would be a nice addition to the bullpen. His ERA isn't anything special at 4.50, but he's got 5 BB/43 K in 36 innings and a .374 BABIP against.

What about Smith or Gonzalez from COL? And if the Rockies are really out of it and willing to entertain all options, how much would you give up for Tulowitzki?

buckeyenut
07-29-2010, 04:40 PM
Some added ones here and in the bold.

LAA - Abreu, Izturis, FuentesGiven LAA just added Haren, I have a hard time seeing them sell.

Only other option would be to move pitching (Harang?) to a contender, but I didn't look at that. I think the key options there might be Boston or Detroit.

Dan
07-29-2010, 04:57 PM
Given LAA just added Haren, I have a hard time seeing them sell.

Only other option would be to move pitching (Harang?) to a contender, but I didn't look at that. I think the key options there might be Boston or Detroit.

Per MLBTR: Angels Could Become Sellers (http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2010/07/angels-could-become-sellers.html)

MikeS21
07-29-2010, 04:58 PM

I think the Reds could move Harang for prospects - especially if they pick up a good part or all of his remaining salary for 2010. Detroit could be a good fit.

Mario-Rijo
07-29-2010, 05:04 PM
Looks like Cantu will be heading to Texas.

LINK (http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2010/07/rangers-getting-closer-on-cantu-deal.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+MlbTradeRumors+%28MLB+Trade+R umors%29)

4:00pm: Though Cantu is on the field for the Marlins, the Rangers will acquire him, according to Joel Sherman of the New York Post (via Twitter). The Marlins will pay $600K of Cantu's salary.

blumj
07-29-2010, 05:08 PM

Boston's probably not in the starting pitching market, they just got Beckett and Buchholz off the DL.

blumj
07-29-2010, 05:10 PM
Looks like Cantu will be heading to Texas.

LINK (http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2010/07/rangers-getting-closer-on-cantu-deal.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+MlbTradeRumors+%28MLB+Trade+R umors%29)
Wow, the Marlins sending money with a player, it's the twilight zone.

Reds Fanatic
07-29-2010, 05:17 PM
The Astros have traded Anthony Gose to the Blue Jays for Brett Wallace. Gose who the Astros had just received in the Oswalt trade has now been traded to Toronto.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2010/07/astros-to-send-anthony-gose-to-blue-jays.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

OnBaseMachine
07-29-2010, 05:22 PM
#Orioles Miguel Tejada has been scratched; believed he has been dealt to the San Diego Padres pending league approval. Still working on this

http://twitter.com/danconnollysun

Falls City Beer
07-29-2010, 05:25 PM
Betancourt is cut from the Masset mold. Get him and the pen is fixed.

Kc61
07-29-2010, 05:26 PM

PLAYER ERA OPS against
Cordero 4.18 .727
Masset 2.50 .668
Rhodes 1.74 .589
Ondrusek 0.78 .418
Smith 2.70 .691

Agree on the pen. Except a good veteran lefty reliever would help. Particularly somebody who can stay with the club next year.

Rhodes has a lot of wear and Bray is uncertain. There isn't that much ready lefty relief depth at the upper levels of the minor leagues.

From the right side, I fully agree with you that there is no need to acquire somebody.

As for shortstop and left field, I don't expect changes. Cabrera brings much to this team in leadership and is currently playing quite well. Gomes has been good value.

I could see the Reds adding a veteran to supplement Bruce/Stubbs. Not clear that the two young guys are ready to thrive in a pennant race.

OnBaseMachine
07-29-2010, 05:27 PM
Betancourt is cut from the Masset mold. Get him and the pen is fixed.

Agreed. He would be an excellent fit in the Reds bullpen.

RedsManRick
07-29-2010, 05:29 PM
I know this will ruffle feathers, but I think we pay WAY too much attention to what happened lately as an indicator of how strong the team is (e.g. will perform moving forward).

Starters Relievers
ERA FIP ERA FIP
April 5.79 4.71 4.71 4.20
May 3.18 3.97 5.55 3.88
June 4.50 4.86 3.53 4.14
July 3.41 4.45 2.50 4.01
----- ---- ---- ---- ----
Total 4.13 4.17 4.09 4.06

If you ask me, the results vary a whole lot more than the performances do. This is doubly true for relievers. The bullpen is basically the same quality is was in April, it's just gotten better results from that underlying performance. I will say, however, that I think you see defense reflected there too. Stubbs and Cabrera both struggled out of the gate in the field but have been much better the last month or two.

As a note, league-wide, relievers tend to put up an ERA about .50 less than starters. Thus, relative to league average, our starting pitching is better than our relief pitching, despite the ERAs. Though I don't think that's news to anyone.

BrooklynRedz
07-29-2010, 05:30 PM
Rolen, Cabrera, Arroyo, Ramon, Arthur, Cairo off the top of my head are the Reds with Playoff experience.

Nevermind

Mario-Rijo
07-29-2010, 05:35 PM
Hernandez has 69 at-bats in 25 career playoff games.

I said err typed Ramon.

BrooklynRedz
07-29-2010, 05:36 PM
I said err typed Ramon.

Ha! Yes you did ...

Brutus
07-29-2010, 05:38 PM

The Haren acquisition was an opportunity buy more than an indication they're 'going for it.'

They saw a chance to add a pitcher with a couple more years left on his contract and had leverage to do so given his geographic preferences. I think they cashed in for next year and beyond more than anything.

blumj
07-29-2010, 05:38 PM
I think I remember a Ramon walk-off bunt in the '03 ALDS?

nate
07-29-2010, 05:40 PM
I know this will ruffle feathers, but I think we pay WAY too much attention to what happened lately as an indicator of how strong the team is (e.g. will perform moving forward).

High ten!

Gallen5862
07-29-2010, 07:02 PM
Here is another Pitcher to consider? Would he help the Reds Bullpen?

Pirates Release Brendan Donnelly
By Steve Adams [July 29 at 2:04pm CST]
THURSDAY: The Pirates have released Donnelly, tweets MLB.com's Jenifer Langosch. Perhaps he'll finish strong with a new club, as he did last year.

SUNDAY: The Pirates have designated veteran reliever Brendan Donnelly for assignment, according to the team's official Twitter feed.

Donnelly, 38, signed a one-year deal worth $1.35MM back in January following a strong 2009 with the Marlins. The right-hander struggled tremendously in Pittsburgh, with a 5.58 ERA and nearly as many walks (25) as strikeouts (26) through 30.2 innings of work.

Opponents did hit just .234 against him, but the walks, in combination with allowing six home runs, were what did him in.

fearofpopvol1
07-29-2010, 07:05 PM
I think Wiggington is a good target. The Reds could use a proven guy that can play 3B and LF for when Rolen needs time off or if Gomes falters (or continues to falter).

I'd like to see the Reds grab Lilly from the Cubs too.

I'd also like the Reds get Betancourt.

If they get those 3 guys, I think they are destined to make the playoffs...either by the wild card or division.

buckeyenut
07-29-2010, 07:26 PM
If Angels are sellers, what about getting Torii Hunter from them for LF? Should be good defensively out there and is running a nice bat. His contract is ugly, so I'd ask the Angels to kick in about 20-25 of the 45 million he has left on the deal, but even then, they are dumping a big contract. Might be a nice bat. Aybar looks intriguing too, but not a huge upgrade.

Reds Fanatic
07-29-2010, 09:13 PM
The latest from Milwaukee is Keith Law from ESPN is now repoting the Brewers don't want to trade Hart or Fielder because they are still in contention even though they are 9 games out in the central and 10 out in the wild card.

OesterPoster
07-29-2010, 09:42 PM
Interesting...

jonmorosi #Twins and #Reds are among teams to ask #Mariners about Brandon League, source says. #MLB #SEA #Seattle #TRADES
4 minutes ago via web

Brutus
07-29-2010, 09:44 PM
The latest from Milwaukee is Keith Law from ESPN is now repoting the Brewers don't want to trade Hart or Fielder because they are still in contention even though they are 9 games out in the central and 10 out in the wild card.

I think it's cool that they don't want to trade those guys, but if they're doing it because they think they can stay in this year's race, they're doing it for the wrong reasons lol

Hoosier Red
07-29-2010, 09:46 PM
Agree on the pen. Except a good veteran lefty reliever would help. Particularly somebody who can stay with the club next year.

Rhodes has a lot of wear and Bray is uncertain. There isn't that much ready lefty relief depth at the upper levels of the minor leagues.

How about bringing up Chapman from Louisville. He seems to have figured out this relief thing.

OesterPoster
07-29-2010, 09:49 PM
How about bringing up Chapman from Louisville. He seems to have figured out this relief thing.

He has now pitched relief on back-to-back days July 22-23 and July 27-28...so he's gotta be getting close.

11larkin11
07-29-2010, 09:50 PM
Not saying I wouldn't be happy with other trades, but the only ones I'd really be down for are ones for Werth or Hart.

Solves the LF and Beard problems.

corkedbat
07-29-2010, 09:51 PM

Translation: "We're not getting nearly what we're askingf or PF or CH and we're not gonna admit to the fanbase that this season's over or they'll stay home."

OnBaseMachine
07-29-2010, 10:10 PM
There's been a decent amount of trades so far. I'm going to be disappointed if the trade deadline comes and goes without the Reds making a deal to improve themselves.

11larkin11
07-29-2010, 10:21 PM
There's been a decent amount of trades so far. I'm going to be disappointed if the trade deadline comes and goes without the Reds making a deal to improve themselves.

I won't. As I've stated before, the bullpen is fine, in fact, more than fine IMO, the Starting staff is 9 deep, and the offense is the best in the leauge, adding one or two guys won't change streakiness, all teams are streaky, we just tend to think only ours are. I would love a Werth or Hart deal, as I've stated, but I would have no problem staying put.

OnBaseMachine
07-29-2010, 10:26 PM
The bullpen isn't fine, IMO. It's been better lately but they still need another arm, whether it be Brandon League, Rafael Betancourt, or Scott Downs (unlikely due to asking price).

corkedbat
07-29-2010, 10:29 PM
I won't. As I've stated before, the bullpen is fine, in fact, more than fine IMO, the Starting staff is 9 deep, and the offense is the best in the leauge, adding one or two guys won't change streakiness, all teams are streaky, we just tend to think only ours are. I would love a Werth or Hart deal, as I've stated, but I would have no problem staying put.

I'd love another OF and a solid reliever would make me very happy at this point, but don't expect it. I do think if anything does happen it might be a deal clearing some space with a prospect or two headed our way. Nothing for the race this year though.

11larkin11
07-29-2010, 10:29 PM
The bullpen isn't fine, IMO. It's been better lately but they still need another arm, whether it be Brandon League, Rafael Betancourt, or Scott Downs (unlikely due to asking price).

Or Russ Springer, Jason Isringhausen, Aroldis Chapman, Jared Burton, Enerio Del Rosario, or Carlos Fisher.

This was the best bullpen in the league last year. I think Bray and Fisher will eventually be replaced with Izzy/Springer and Chapman. Trading for relievers is a crapshoot. See: Gary Majewski, Bill Bray.

reds44
07-29-2010, 10:43 PM
Or Russ Springer, Jason Isringhausen, Aroldis Chapman, Jared Burton, Enerio Del Rosario, or Carlos Fisher.

This was the best bullpen in the league last year. I think Bray and Fisher will eventually be replaced with Izzy/Springer and Chapman. Trading for relievers is a crapshoot. See: Gary Majewski, Bill Bray.
I want to know when Russ Springer became a viable option for the bullpen down the stretch. He's 41 years old and didn't have a job earlier this year.

Same thing with Isringhausen. We've all seen how much Volquez has struggled coming back, how do you think a guy who is 37?

Burton? Del Rosario? Fisher? You want those guys pitching big innings for the Reds down the stretch?

Chapman, maybe, but even he is a question mark. When he comes up I'd pitch him in some low leverage situations to start out with.

The Reds need another reliable arm in the bullpen. We can't afford to bring guys up here and hope.

As for Majewski/Bray, don't trade for relief pitchers who pitch in gigantic ballparks.

OnBaseMachine
07-29-2010, 10:45 PM

Russ Springer and Jason Isringhausen are old and haven't pitched in the major leagues for a while. Do you really want to rely on them in a pennant race? I don't.

fearofpopvol1
07-29-2010, 10:47 PM
Interesting...

jonmorosi #Twins and #Reds are among teams to ask #Mariners about Brandon League, source says. #MLB #SEA #Seattle #TRADES
4 minutes ago via web

League would be an excellent target for the Reds. He's the kind of guy they need in the pen. I wonder if the Twins would be out now after landing Capps?

11larkin11
07-29-2010, 10:48 PM
Rely? No. But the bullpen now has no one that needs taken out, outside of Fisher who has been great since he returned. Downs isn't exactly young.

Downs and Leauge would be fine by me, provided we don't give up anything more than a C+ to B-. I think its time to start trading some of our top prospects, but not for a middle reliever.

reds44
07-29-2010, 10:50 PM
Rely? No. But the bullpen now has no one that needs taken out, outside of Fisher who has been great since he returned. Downs isn't exactly young.

Downs and Leauge would be fine by me, provided we don't give up anything more than a C+ to B-. I think its time to start trading some of our top prospects, but not for a middle reliever.
There's going to come a point where the Reds need somebody other than Masset/Rhodes/Cordero to come in and get some big outs in a game. Ondrusek, Smith, Chapman, Isringhausen all might be able to do it, but I'd feel much better knowing somebody can do it.

11larkin11
07-29-2010, 10:58 PM
There's going to come a point where the Reds need somebody other than Masset/Rhodes/Cordero to come in and get some big outs in a game. Ondrusek, Smith, Chapman, Isringhausen all might be able to do it, but I'd feel much better knowing somebody can do it.

You make a sound point. Again, I won't be upset if no moves are made, but making a move won't upset me if its a good move.

I realize thats putting myself on both sides of the argument. But its kind of like being an eternal pessimist on a sports board. If your team loses, then you were right all the time (easy when you've been a Reds fan for the last ten years), and if your team wins, its "Oh I'm a fan I'm so glad we won. Who cares what I said lets just celebrate our teams win."

I can't wait to see who comes out of the woodworks as a real fan if we end up winning it all in the next few years.

RBA
07-29-2010, 11:03 PM
Russ Springer and Jason Isringhausen are old and haven't pitched in the major leagues for a while. Do you really want to rely on them in a pennant race? I don't.

Add Arthur Rhodes.

3 pitchers that can order off the Seniors menu at Dennys.

dman
07-29-2010, 11:12 PM
I'm torn on this whole trade deadline thing. On one hand we're sitting in 1st Place on July 30th with, for the most part, talent that has been brought up through a well refined farm system. On the other hand, outside of Scott Rolen, there's really not much of a veteran presence to help lead this club into a post-season berth, should they make it there.
When I heard of Jason Isringhausen being signed by the Reds, the only image I could conjure up was just a few years back when he was closing for the Cardinals and David Ross ripped a 3-run homer off the batter's eye in center off of him.

Seriously though, Volquez, after his first start back has looked rather lethargic in his following starts. There's only so far that Rhodes can carry the bullpen. Cordero is so inconsistent. But...when there's not much out there and the asking prices are so enormous, I guess there's not much that a smart and savvy GM can really do. Wait and see, I guess.

TRF
07-29-2010, 11:17 PM
LF is a problem. Gomes in June: .704 OPS. Gomes in July: .704 OPS. Consistent. he's had one good month this year. One.

The best trade the Reds can make is Heisey for Gomes. Heisey the new starter, Gomes the power bat off the bench.

dman
07-29-2010, 11:19 PM
LF is a problem. Gomes in June: .704 OPS. Gomes in July: .704 OPS. Consistent. he's had one good month this year. One.

The best trade the Reds can make is Heisey for Gomes. Heisey the new starter, Gomes the power bat off the bench.

Gomes has been more consistent than Stubbs. I say keep Gomes and bring Heisey in for Stubbs. Let Stubbs ride the pine for awhile.

corkedbat
07-29-2010, 11:20 PM

I agree.

TRF
07-29-2010, 11:24 PM
Gomes has been more consistent than Stubbs. I say keep Gomes and bring Heisey in for Stubbs. Let Stubbs ride the pine for awhile.

Gomes isn't the future. He really isn't the present. He's been below average to abysmal for 3/4 of this season. Nice mohawk though. Didn't like the signing when it happened, still don't.

Heisey/Stubbs/Bruce is the best defensive OF in baseball. Be nice to see Bruce snap out of his funk though.

dman
07-29-2010, 11:27 PM
Gomes isn't the future. He really isn't the present. He's been below average to abysmal for 3/4 of this season. Nice mohawk though. Didn't like the signing when it happened, still don't.

Heisey/Stubbs/Bruce is the best defensive OF in baseball. Be nice to see Bruce snap out of his funk though.

Yeah, you're right about the future and Gomes. I was just looking at the here and now, the pennant race hype, and so on.

Ghosts of 1990
07-29-2010, 11:32 PM

I agree about the defense and if Rolen, Votto, Phillips are clicking the defense alone might be what we need more; but what if what Bruce is in isn't a 'funk' and it's just who he is at the MLB level?

TRF
07-29-2010, 11:32 PM
Gomes got hot in May. White hot.

So did just about everyone in a Reds uniform though. Since May 1, Stubbs has been light years better than Gomes in overall value.

ugh. i just defended Stubbs. One might think I am becoming a fan of his game.

TRF
07-29-2010, 11:33 PM
I agree about the defense and if Rolen, Votto, Phillips are clicking the defense alone might be what we need more; but what if what Bruce is in isn't a 'funk' and it's just who he is at the MLB level?

Because he's 22? And no where NEAR a finished product?

LoganBuck
07-30-2010, 12:05 AM
Because he's 22? And no where NEAR a finished product?

It gets frustrating defending these guys doesn't it? All the people I deal with in the real world think Gomes is playing fabulous baseball, and that Stubbs and Bruce need to be traded for a pack of sunflower seeds, and dirty socks. Marty doesn't help the cause either. No one cares about defensive value, or things beyond batting average, or in Bruce's case, the fact that he isn't Joey Votto.

OesterPoster
07-30-2010, 12:19 AM
What about Brad Hawpe in left? He had some minor injuries earlier this year to hold down his numbers, and he's been spelling Helton at 1st...though he's mainly a RF.

His home/away OPS split for this season is pretty horrid, though his career home/away OPS split is pretty darn close. Not too much left on his 2010 contract, I think 2.5 mill or so. Colorado holds buyout option for 2011, voided if traded, I believe.

RedsManRick
07-30-2010, 01:02 AM
What about Brad Hawpe in left? He had some minor injuries earlier this year to hold down his numbers, and he's been spelling Helton at 1st...though he's mainly a RF.

His home/away OPS split for this season is pretty horrid, though his career home/away OPS split is pretty darn close. Not too much left on his 2010 contract, I think 2.5 mill or so. Colorado holds buyout option for 2011, voided if traded, I believe.

Hawpe makes Gomes look like Carl Crawford.

OnBaseMachine
07-30-2010, 01:18 AM

At least Stubbs can play defense. I don't think anyone would complain about Gomes as much if he were a plus defender. As for Heisey over Stubbs, I'm a huge Chris Heisey fan, but I think there's a decent sized drop off defensively in CF from Stubbs to Heisey. Heisey isn't a bad defender in CF - I'd rank him around slightly above average in CF - but he's not on Stubbs' level. He's a plus defender on the corners, though. If it were up to me, Heisey would start getting the majority of the starts in LF until the Reds can find a better option.

OnBaseMachine
07-30-2010, 01:22 AM
It gets frustrating defending these guys doesn't it? All the people I deal with in the real world think Gomes is playing fabulous baseball, and that Stubbs and Bruce need to be traded for a pack of sunflower seeds, and dirty socks. Marty doesn't help the cause either. No one cares about defensive value, or things beyond batting average, or in Bruce's case, the fact that he isn't Joey Votto.

It sure does. It gets tiresome listening to the announcers and writers talk about Gomes as if he's having a great season. He was terrific in May but has been below average the rest of the time. His constant first pitch hacking is maddening at times. IIRC, he made four first pitch outs in one of the games in Milwaukee. Don't get me wrong, I like Jonny Gomes. He seems like a great dude and is someone I like having on the bench but he's not an everyday player, IMO.

reds44
07-30-2010, 01:41 AM
Gomes' OPS by month:

His OBP if you take out May is well under .300.

Stubbs:

Not exactly lightining it up either, but with his defense you can get away with it.

The Reds have a pretty bad offensive OF, but Stubbs and Bruce's defense make up for a lot of their offensive problems.

Outside of one month this season, Gomes has just been a bad baseball player. He's also OPSing .678 away from GABP.

If Heisey/Dickerson could OPS above .710, they'd be a better option than Gomes. Ideally the Reds can make a trade for a guy like Corey Hart in the next day.

fearofpopvol1
07-30-2010, 02:07 AM
I just want to know if Walt is aware of Gomes' struggles and/or cares and plans to fix it. Or Dusty for that matter. How about giving Heisey more playing time?

Brutus
07-30-2010, 03:03 AM
I just want to know if Walt is aware of Gomes' struggles and/or cares and plans to fix it. Or Dusty for that matter. How about giving Heisey more playing time?

I would sincerely doubt he's unaware of what's going on with his club.

reds44
07-30-2010, 03:06 AM
I would sincerely doubt he's unaware of what's going on with his club.
Yeah I think people (and I know I'm guilty of this sometimes) underestimate how much more Walt and Dusty know about their team than we all do. I highly, highly doubt Walt has his head burried in the sand and isn't aware of how all his players are preforming.

membengal
07-30-2010, 06:14 AM
A legit bat in LF for the stretch drive sliding Gomes to 4th OF would not make me sad. And they could still play Gomes a lot if they want to start giving Bruce some rest versus lefties.

I keep wondering about a two-month Jayson Werth rental.

edabbs44
07-30-2010, 08:12 AM

I would wager that Walt follows the team. The other thing he probably does better than any of us is assess the situation at hand and determine if a certain move is worth it. Was May an aberration? What would the true difference be between Gomes and Player A be over the next 2 months? What is the probability be of that difference being realized? Are those odds worth whatever it would cost the Reds?

buckeyenut
07-30-2010, 08:14 AM
The more I think about it, the more I don't want a pitcher other than Grienke. I really want a LF upgrade (big bat, average to above average defender), but am not willing to pay a ton for it (I think Heisey/Dickerson is it, but don't have confidence Dusty will do that). I would back the truck up for a good SS upgrade (Ramirez, Reyes, etc.) but am worried about Cabrera's "leadership" aura preventing that from happening.

Ghosts of 1990
07-30-2010, 09:31 AM

He knows Gomes has cooled but it's a combination of:

1) Purse strings can't be opened for a LF bat when they have one that is passable at worst in Gomes and pretty good when he's hot.

2)They don't believe in Heisey as an every day OF yet.

Edd Roush
07-30-2010, 09:39 AM
Would the Phils go for Dickerson or Heisey for Werth? If they would, I think we have to pull the trigger. Add a middle of the line-up bat to this team and push Gomes to the bench. Gomes becomes our number 1 pinch hitter and we have some added fire power.

Homer Bailey
07-30-2010, 09:58 AM
He knows Gomes has cooled but it's a combination of:

1) Purse strings can't be opened for a LF bat when they have one that is passable at worst in Gomes and pretty good when he's hot.

2)They don't believe in Heisey as an every day OF yet.

Good point.

Gomes gets a ripped constantly by many on here, when he is at worst a replacement level player. Just so happens he's the only replacementish starter on this team.

nate
07-30-2010, 10:42 AM
Good point.

Gomes gets a ripped constantly by many on here, when he is at worst a replacement level player. Just so happens he's the only replacementish starter on this team.

Actually, Gomes gets a pretty honest evaluation from me. He's playing pretty much as his career would indicate. A poor fielder and a league average-ish bat.

Note, "replacement level" isn't good, it's worse than league average.

If "replacement level" is all we're looking for, put Heisey in there. I think he's more of the future than Gomes is. I also think he'll outperform Gomes in the long run.

BrooklynRedz
07-30-2010, 11:10 AM
http://mlb-facts-and-rumors.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/6270335/23516798?tag=comBlogEntryListCnt;entry23516798

Multiple clubs have asked Milwaukee about veteran outfielder Jim Edmonds, but Edmonds has told the Brewers he does not want to go anywhere. He particularly would make sense for San Francisco, which is looking for an outfielder who can improve the offense.

Anyone else see a fit with the Reds?

Cedric
07-30-2010, 11:11 AM
Actually, Gomes gets a pretty honest evaluation from me. He's playing pretty much as his career would indicate. A poor fielder and a league average-ish bat.

Note, "replacement level" isn't good, it's worse than league average.

If "replacement level" is all we're looking for, put Heisey in there. I think he's more of the future than Gomes is. I also think he'll outperform Gomes in the long run.
The team is right now in first place and in the best position in a decade. Do you really think it's realistic to even argue about replacing Gomes with Heisey?

It's not going to happen and probably shouldn't happen. The myriad of reasons probably starting with leadership and clubhouse qualities. What does that say about Dusty and Walt to to the other players if they suddenly drop Gomes completely?

Do I agree with that kind of thing? Probably not. But in discussing a move I think looking at the realism of the possible move is important.

cumberlandreds
07-30-2010, 11:16 AM
http://mlb-facts-and-rumors.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/6270335/23516798?tag=comBlogEntryListCnt;entry23516798 (http://mlb-facts-and-rumors.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/6270335/23516798?tag=comBlogEntryListCnt;entry23516798)

No. He's hurt. IIRC,he's having achilles issues. The game story I read the night he hit his HR to beat the Reds, quoted him as saying he was seriously considering retirement after this season because of this injury.

BrooklynRedz
07-30-2010, 11:30 AM
No. He's hurt. IIRC,he's having achilles issues. The game story I read the night he hit his HR to beat the Reds, quoted him as saying he was seriously considering retirement after this season because of this injury.

I knew he was fighting threw an inflamed achilles but has been playing fairly regularly. I wouldn't worry about next year if the Reds were to acquire him. He'd be a better bat off the bench than Nix.

Degenerate39
07-30-2010, 12:30 PM
http://mlb-facts-and-rumors.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/6270335/23516798?tag=comBlogEntryListCnt;entry23516798

Grande would come out of retirement!

OnBaseMachine
07-30-2010, 02:53 PM
Luke Scott would be a fine addition to the Reds. He's currently hitting .283/.353/.558 - .912 OPS in 265 atbats for the Orioles. That includes a .956 OPS vs RHP and .777 OPS vs LHP. Gomes vs LHP and Scott vs RHP would form a very productive platoon.

LoganBuck
07-30-2010, 03:20 PM
A mystery team is in the mix for Ted Lilly per Jayson Stark.

Reds are always believed to be a "mystery team", because of the cloak and dagger nature of the front office.

My guess is that it is the Twins. They also operate quietly.

LoganBuck
07-30-2010, 03:25 PM
Jason Churchhill on the ESPN Live feed is reporting the Reds are in on David Aardsma.

OnBaseMachine
07-30-2010, 04:00 PM
From Jon Morosi:

#Cubs and #Reds have spoken about Ted Lilly, but not in recent days. Possibility is "remote" right now, source says. #Chicago #TRADES #CIN

By the way, #Reds are not protected by Lilly's no-trade clause. #Twins are. #Cubs

medford
07-30-2010, 04:07 PM

George Grande???

Patrick Bateman
07-30-2010, 04:10 PM
Those guys are both certainly not ideal fits for our ballpark, but generally aren't bad pitchers.

camisadelgolf
07-30-2010, 04:17 PM
From Jon Morosi:

#Cubs and #Reds have spoken about Ted Lilly, but not in recent days. Possibility is "remote" right now, source says. #Chicago #TRADES #CIN

By the way, #Reds are not protected by Lilly's no-trade clause. #Twins are. #Cubs

It's interesting that the Reds wouldn't be on Lilly's list. Maybe his thought was, "The Cubs would never trade me to a team in the same division." Or maybe he got to make his list recently, when he already knew the Reds would compete for the division title.

Brutus
07-30-2010, 05:04 PM
Joel Sherman of the NY Post reporting the Yankees are close to acquiring Berkman, and he is NOT in the lineup tonight.

Brutus
07-30-2010, 05:09 PM
Alyson Footer, one of the Astros' beat writers is saying that Berkman's condition for a trade is mostly about NOT having his option picked up for next season.

RedLegSuperStar
07-30-2010, 06:05 PM
Joel Sherman of the NY Post reporting the Yankees are close to acquiring Berkman, and he is NOT in the lineup tonight.

I've read that he accepted the deal but he has 24 hours to make it official that a confirmation may wait till later tonight or the morning.

Reds Fanatic
07-30-2010, 08:12 PM
Jayson Stark is now reporting the Cardinals are targeting Jake Westbrook.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=5424744

Mario-Rijo
07-30-2010, 08:15 PM
Jayson Stark is now reporting the Cardinals are targeting Jake Westbrook.

Next you'll hear we are kicking the tires on Westbrook as well.

Tom Servo
07-30-2010, 08:49 PM
I kinda wish we could get in on Jose Bautista, but it would be entirely dependent on the price.

Ghosts of 1990
07-30-2010, 08:56 PM
Starting to accept the reality, we're going to battle the last two months with what we have; plus Russ Springer and Izzy.

Falls City Beer
07-30-2010, 08:58 PM
Starting to accept the reality, we're going to battle the last two months with what we have; plus Russ Springer and Izzy.

They'll do something. But not what's needed.

RedLegSuperStar
07-30-2010, 10:04 PM

Theirs August too.. Deals for higher priced players could be moved next month. This team has got to notice the path it's on and know that this team is going to have to improve to get to a place they haven't seen for 15 years.

REDblooded
07-30-2010, 10:29 PM
No matter what... If both teams stand pat, and the only improvements to the club can come from within... I like the Reds chances WAAAAAY more than the Cards...

OnBaseMachine
07-31-2010, 11:27 AM
Source: Westbrook to #Cardinals close. Deal at union level. Trying to work through $$$. Westbrook gets more than 2M ... (more)

in bonuses if he is traded. Also nearly 4M on contract remaining

Westbrook has been below average this season but he's still an upgrade over Jeff Suppan.

Come on Walt, make a move. This team needs a bat and another arm.

Falls City Beer
07-31-2010, 11:33 AM
Source: Westbrook to #Cardinals close. Deal at union level. Trying to work through $$$. Westbrook gets more than 2M ... (more)

in bonuses if he is traded. Also nearly 4M on contract remaining

Westbrook has been below average this season but he's still an upgrade over Jeff Suppan.

Come on Walt, make a move. This team needs a bat and another arm.

Westbrook kind of sucks.

OnBaseMachine
07-31-2010, 11:35 AM
Westbrook kind of sucks.

Yes, and as bad as he is, he's an upgrade over Suppan.

HokieRed
07-31-2010, 11:36 AM
They'll do something. But not what's needed.

The latter part of your argument becomes less likely as it becomes increasingly obvious how many different things they actually need.

oregonred
07-31-2010, 11:37 AM
Burton, Chapman, Springer, Isringhausen and maybe soon Volquez. A lot of in house relief corp options.

I think Walt stands pat on relievers until mid-August unless he can get a reasonable deal for Downs.

OnBaseMachine
07-31-2010, 11:40 AM
From Tom Krasovic:

Heard this from NL club: Padres are deep into talks to get Cardinals OF Ryan Ludwick. Good power bat.

http://twitter.com/tomkrasovic

Why would the Cardinals trade Ludwick?

edabbs44
07-31-2010, 11:45 AM
From Tom Krasovic:

Heard this from NL club: Padres are deep into talks to get Cardinals OF Ryan Ludwick. Good power bat.

To make room for Corey Hart.

TheNext44
07-31-2010, 11:50 AM
From Tom Krasovic:

They need to clear money for Albert. And I guess they think John Jay is for real.

And it depends on who they get back.

reds44
07-31-2010, 11:51 AM
Yeah I don't think Ludwick has been playing at all lately.

OnBaseMachine
07-31-2010, 12:00 PM
According to Tom Krasovic, it will be a three team trade. Ryan Ludwick to the Padres, Jake Westbrook to the Cardinals. Padres send one prospect to the Cardinals and one to the Indians.

reds44
07-31-2010, 12:01 PM
Am I the only one not impressed by that trade?

OnBaseMachine
07-31-2010, 12:03 PM
Am I the only one not impressed by that trade?

I'm very surprised by it. Why would the Cardinals trade Ludwick? He's been one of their better hitters. I'll be thrilled to see Ludwick out of the NL Central.

reds44
07-31-2010, 12:08 PM
Is anybody else following leather pants on twitter? Dude just makes stuff up.

Cedric
07-31-2010, 12:16 PM
Nice trade by the Padres. They have added some solid bats the last few days.

Jay is much better than Ludwick, IMO.

pahster
07-31-2010, 12:26 PM
Nice trade by the Padres. They have added some solid bats the last few days.

What makes you think that? His career line in the minors is .301/.367/.432/.799. Not bad, but certainly no great shakes. Danny Dorn has outdone him by about .090 points of OPS and very few people seem interested in even giving him a shot at the ML level.

OnBaseMachine
07-31-2010, 12:32 PM
Mark Sheldon thinks the Reds will do something right before the deadline.

http://twitter.com/m_sheldon

Cedric
07-31-2010, 12:33 PM
What makes you think that? His career line in the minors is .301/.367/.432/.799. Not bad, but certainly no great shakes. Danny Dorn has outdone him by about .090 points of OPS and very few people seem interested in even giving him a shot at the ML level.

Jay has impressed me. He's a much better fielder than Ludwick and probably won't be much worse than him with the stick. Ludwick isn't exactly a model of consistency and seems to be hurt a lot this year.

OnBaseMachine
07-31-2010, 12:38 PM
From Tom Krasovic:

Union has approved trade. #Padres get Ludwick. #Cardinals get Westbrook, Padres give up two prospects.

RedLegSuperStar
07-31-2010, 12:41 PM
Mark Sheldon thinks the Reds will do something right before the deadline.

http://twitter.com/m_sheldon

i think it will be for someone who's name hasn't been thrown out there. I think the Reds know that Westbrook coming to the Cards is probably much like when Chuck Finley went to the Cards. They always seem to cherry pick and obtain that average player and they turn out to look like geniuses. This team needs to dangle it's gems and make this happen..

Tom Servo
07-31-2010, 12:43 PM
i think it will be for someone who's name hasn't been thrown out there. I think the Reds know that Westbrook coming to the Cards is probably much like when Chuck Finley went to the Cards. They always seem to cherry pick and obtain that average player and they turn out to look like geniuses. This team needs to dangle it's gems and make this happen..
So in two weeks we're going to get Shawn Estes?

RedLegSuperStar
07-31-2010, 12:57 PM
So in two weeks we're going to get Shawn Estes?

I was thinking David Wells.. But why not stop there.. Let's call Pedro and check in on Maddox.

PuffyPig
07-31-2010, 12:59 PM

He is as long has his .446 BABIP continues......