PDA

View Full Version : The zero Hall of Fame votes dream line-up

westofyou
07-15-2010, 02:39 PM
http://baseballpastandpresent.com/2010/07/09/the-zero-hall-of-fame-votes-dream-line-up/

Every year, 20-30 baseball players make the Hall of Fame ballot. Generally, of these men, one or two will receive the necessary 75 percent of the votes needed for enshrinement, a handful of others will get lesser totals, and most will fall off the ballot with less than five percent of the vote. Without fail, there are usually at least a few eligible players who get no votes at all.

Most of these men don’t make it to Cooperstown for good reason, though former All Stars and Cy Young award winners sometimes are completely forgotten at Hall of Fame voting time. Here are a few men who laid zeros their only time on the Cooperstown ballot:

P – Mike Cuellar (1983): The passing of the four-time 20-game winner in April prompted me to write about one-and-done Hall of Fame candidates. Incidentally, Cuellar is not the only former Cy Young winner to receive zero Hall of Fame votes. Others in this class include John Denny, Steve Stone, and Pete Vuckovich.

C – Mickey Tettleton (2003): He hit more than 30 home runs four times and was twice an All Star, though he also struck out a lot and was a .241 lifetime hitter.

1B – Cecil Cooper (1993): A reader recently reminded me of Cooper who was a five-time All Star, two-time Gold Glove winner and two-time American League RBI champ. Overall, he had 2,192 hits with a .298 lifetime clip and hit above .300 seven straight seasons.

2B – Manny Trillo (1995): He made four All Star appearances, was a three-time Gold Glove-winner and surprisingly, nabbed two Silver Slugger awards as well.

3B – Bob Horner (1994): The No. 1 overall draft pick in 1978, Horner went directly to the majors and won Rookie of the Year. He later hit more than 30 home runs three times and put together a solid, if somewhat truncated ten-year career, wrapping up at 30 with 218 lifetime home runs. Horner may most be remembered for hitting four home runs in a game in 1986.

SS – Rick Burleson (1993): Burleson made four All Star teams, did well enough offensively to become a hitting coach for the Oakland A’s after retirement and shares the same name as an architect in the Seattle area.

OF – Amos Otis (1990): Otis was a perennial All Star and MVP vote recipient with the Kansas City Royals in the 1970s, retiring in 1984 with 2,020 hits, 193 home runs and 341 stolen bases.

OF – Andy Van Slyke (2001): Van Slyke won five straight Gold Gloves from 1988-1992 as center fielder for the Pittsburgh Pirates, twice finishing fourth in MVP voting in that span.

OF – Jim Wynn (1983): Though Wynn boasts just 1,665 lifetime hits and a .250 career batting average, the former longtime Astros center fielder may be among the most underrated players of all-time. His career Wins Above Replacement rating of 59.8 ranks better than first-ballot Hall of Famers like Kirby Puckett, Willie Stargell and Dave Winfield, among others.

All in all, the thought here is that this lineup would triumph in a grudge match against a team of overrated Hall of Famers.

reds1869
07-15-2010, 02:40 PM
I have a nice Mike Cuellar card in my collection. He is extremely underrated. Van Slyke was also a favorite of mine; he went all-out all teh time.

OldRightHander
07-15-2010, 02:46 PM
Van Slyke will always stand out in my mind as the player Paul O'Neill nailed at third base with a great throw during game 2 of the '90 NLCS. I was at that game.

redsmetz
07-15-2010, 03:37 PM
Van Slyke will always stand out in my mind as the player Paul O'Neill nailed at third base with a great throw during game 2 of the '90 NLCS. I was at that game.

So was I, sitting in left center field. Very exciting play.

_Sir_Charles_
07-15-2010, 04:15 PM
Jimmy Wynn...he may not have had the average or hits of a HoF'er but he was one helluva player in his day. I didn't really think he was a HoF'er, but I'm shocked he was one and done.

TheNext44
07-15-2010, 06:32 PM
Hard to believe the Toy Cannon didn't receive a single vote. Really a shame.

Did Bobby Grich get any votes? He was always my favorite under rated player.

Bobby Grich Stats (http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/g/grichbo01.shtml)

westofyou
07-15-2010, 06:35 PM
Hard to believe the Toy Cannon didn't receive a single vote. Really a shame.

Did Bobby Grich get any votes? He was always my favorite under rated player.

Bobby Grich Stats (http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/g/grichbo01.shtml)

Closest Ballot: 1992, 2.5 percent.

BCubb2003
07-15-2010, 06:42 PM
That team could probably win a pennant a lot of years.

traderumor
07-15-2010, 06:45 PM
That team could probably win a pennant a lot of years.Cuellar's arm would get pretty sore, though :)

TheNext44
07-15-2010, 07:12 PM
Closest Ballot: 1992, 2.5 percent.

Thanks! So he was one and out I take it?

Is there a site that has this info? I would love to try to put together the best team with zero votes, the best team that was one and out, and other such meaningless yet fun wastes of time.

savafan
07-15-2010, 08:03 PM
Manny Trillo was once my favorite player, and I took a lot of good natured ribbing for that. It's criminal that he got 0 votes.

Big Klu
07-15-2010, 08:42 PM
Manny Trillo was once my favorite player, and I took a lot of good natured ribbing for that. It's criminal that he got 0 votes.

You must have been one happy camper in 1989 when he joined the Reds.

TheNext44
07-15-2010, 08:49 PM

Never my favorite, but definitely one of my favorites. I always liked great fielding infielders.

Spitball
07-15-2010, 09:51 PM
I'm surprised Rick "The Rooster" Burleson didn't get at least one vote. For his era, he was a pretty good top of the order hitter who developed into a very good defensive shortstop and had possibly the best arm I've ever seen at the position. He was such an intense player, it was hard not to admire his game.

Why didn't a Boston writer vote for the guy? I wonder if he wasn't the victim of the perception that he was never happy being in Boston. After the 1975 season, Burleson and fellow Californian Fred Lynn were reportedly unhappy in Boston and eager to return to the other coast. In seperate deals, both were eventually traded to the California Angels. Lynn later would sign with the Orioles and declare the reports that he always wanted to play on the west coast were not true.

savafan
07-15-2010, 11:50 PM
You must have been one happy camper in 1989 when he joined the Reds.

You know, I was pretty ecstatic. I treasure that 1989 Bowman card that is the only one ever of him in a Reds uniform.

http://danmahan.com/autos/uploaded_images/1989_bowman_trillo-717050.jpg

VR
07-16-2010, 12:36 AM
Great topic woy, thanks for posting.

That would be a scary lineup to face for any hall of fame pitcher.....and yes, they would clobber that overrated HOF lineup.

Topcat
07-16-2010, 01:20 AM
Excellent topic loved remembering the players mentioned.:thumbup:

cincinnati chili
07-16-2010, 01:54 AM
Bobby Grich may be the most underrated player of the 70s and 80s. He should be a borderline hall-of-famer and is a testament to the sportswriters' silly man-crush on batting average.

*BaseClogger*
07-16-2010, 02:27 AM
Mike Jackson, Ray Lankford, Shane Reynolds, and Todd Zeile are notable players who did not receive a vote in 2010. Ron Gant, Dan Plesac, and Greg Vaughn went unnoticed in 2009. Brady Anderson and Jose Rijo didn't make it in 2008...

Big Klu
07-16-2010, 02:35 AM
Mike Jackson, Ray Lankford, Shane Reynolds, and Todd Zeile are notable players who did not receive a vote in 2010. Ron Gant, Dan Plesac, and Greg Vaughn went unnoticed in 2009. Brady Anderson and Jose Rijo didn't make it in 2008...

Yeah, but I think Rijo received votes in 2000.

*BaseClogger*
07-16-2010, 03:58 AM
Yeah, but I think Rijo received votes in 2000.

Ah, but then he did at one point appear on the ballot and receive no votes, so would he be eligible for this team? (he received one vote in 2001)

Dan
07-16-2010, 07:51 AM
How many votes did Mario Soto get?

George Anderson
07-16-2010, 10:21 AM
How many votes did Mario Soto get?

zero

http://www.baseball-reference.com/awards/hof_1994.shtml#BBWAA

chicoruiz
07-16-2010, 10:42 AM
.....and yes, they would clobber that overrated HOF lineup.

...So who would be the team of worst HOF-ers? Off the top of my head, Rick Ferrell, George Kelly, Travis Jackson, Fred Lindstrom, Tommy McCarthy- maybe Haines or Marquard on the mound...who else (or is that a topic for another thread...)?

TheNext44
07-16-2010, 10:58 AM
...So who would be the team of worst HOF-ers? Off the top of my head, Rick Ferrell, George Kelly, Travis Jackson, Fred Lindstrom, Tommy McCarthy- maybe Haines or Marquard on the mound...who else (or is that a topic for another thread...)?

Tinker, Evers and Chance got in based mostly because of that song. They were solid major leaguers, but not even close to Hall of Fame material, although I think Evers won the MVP one year.

cumberlandreds
07-16-2010, 02:33 PM

I would think Bill Mazeroski would be in that discussion. His walk off World Series winning HR got him in the HOF. His overall career was pretty bland,IMO.

FWIW,Dusty got all of 4 votes his first year of elgiblity.

George Anderson
07-16-2010, 02:35 PM
I would think Bill Mazeroski would be in that discussion. His walk off World Series winning HR got him in the HOF. His overall career was pretty bland,IMO.

I agree Maz is borderline but he was pretty good with the glove.

westofyou
07-16-2010, 02:37 PM

Maz is the Wizard of Oz at 2nd base, in an era that had weak 2b all over

edabbs44
07-16-2010, 02:44 PM

That's as a player...he still has a shot as a manager.