PDA

View Full Version : Should Walt put in a claim?

brm7675
07-15-2010, 06:53 PM
The Phillies designated reliever Nelson Figueroa for assignment, according to David Murphy of the Philadelphia Daily News (via Twitter). The club also activated Chad Durbin and Antonio Bastardo and subsequently optioned Bastardo to Triple A.

The Phils claimed Figueroa off of waivers from the Mets back in April and the right-hander has since posted a 3.46 ERA in 26 innings of work, allowing 20 hits and nine walks, while striking out 15. Those numbers are solid, but MLB teams let Figueroa to clear waivers six weeks ago, so chances are it'll happen again.

texasdave
07-15-2010, 06:55 PM
Right-handed veteran relievers are falling from the sky!

ILoveWilly
07-15-2010, 06:57 PM
I don't see the harm in picking up several of these guys if they're cheap, and we're not. I mean, lets say we're not planning to use him anyway - is there harm in putting him in Triple A and seeing what happens and having him for a backup option?

Griffey012
07-15-2010, 06:58 PM
I don't see the harm in picking up several of these guys if they're cheap, and we're not. I mean, lets say we're not planning to use him anyway - is there harm in putting him in Triple A and seeing what happens and having him for a backup option?

Can't send him to AAA without passing him back through waivers just like the Phils are currently doing.

Girevik
07-16-2010, 09:48 AM
Before you make a move like this you need to consider two things:

Who do you have on the big club that you'd send down, and do they have options left (probably not a problem for the Reds)?

Do you have room on the 40-man roster, and if not who do you expose to waivers for a new guy (I've not looked at the 40-man and don't know if they have a slot open or not)?

zjr1717
07-16-2010, 10:44 AM
No, Figueroa is AAA - Majors shuttle material, that's why he's able to get through waivers.

Pass