PDA

View Full Version : City of Cincinnati question

Degenerate39
07-15-2010, 10:24 PM
It's been a while since I've been to Cincy. I'll probably think of some other questions later on. Thanks in advance!

Are there many cheap hotels located near the stadium?

How much would the parking cost? (I'll rephrase this to: Where is the best parking?)

What hours is the Reds Hall of Fame open?

What times are the stadium tours available?

Chip R
07-15-2010, 11:13 PM
It's been a while since I've been to Cincy. I'll probably think of some other questions later on. Thanks in advance!

Are there many cheap hotels located near the stadium?

It depends on your definition of cheap. Most everything close to the stadium is fairly pricey. Of course there's always the Newport Travel Lodge... :D

How much would the parking cost?

Again, it depends. You can park under the Westin Hotel after 5 on Fridays and weekends for $3. Under Fountain square is $5. Parking at Newport on the Levee is $5 and you can walk across the bridge. There are garages close to the stadium for $10 and up. You can park on the streets of Cincinnati for free after 5 every day and all day on Sundays.

What hours is the Reds Hall of Fame open?

10:00 a.m.

If the Reds are playing at night, Monday - Friday: 11:00 a.m., noon, 1:00 p.m. Saturday: 10:00 a.m., 11:00 am, noon, 1:00 p.m.

Redsfan320
07-15-2010, 11:14 PM

I'm not sure, I went sometime last summer on a weekday afternoon when the Reds are on the road. I do know that the Reds being on the road is key, I don't think they do them on days when there're home games. You should go though. It's pretty good. No clubhouse access (apparently they got rid of that a few years ago for security reasons), but you get to see some of the clubs and restaurants, several suites (including the owner's one), the press box (but not the broadcast booths), the Reds dugout, and you get to walk very briefly on the field, from the Reds dugout to the "center" entrance to the tunnel down the hall where the umps' suite is (you don't get to go in that though). Very good tour.

Degenerate39
07-15-2010, 11:17 PM
It depends on your definition of cheap. Most everything close to the stadium is fairly pricey. Of course there's always the Newport Travel Lodge... :D

I've heard a little of this Travel Lodge from the Chat. That place is not an option

paintmered
07-15-2010, 11:41 PM
From which direction will you arrive to downtown? That makes as big of difference as anything.

wolfboy
07-16-2010, 01:17 AM
I've heard a little of this Travel Lodge from the Chat. That place is not an option

Isn't that the place with the fancy day spa and free valet service? :cool:

macro
07-16-2010, 12:45 PM
This thread is six years old, so it may not be accurate anymore, but I'll post it anyway:

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31267

Notice the reference to www.biddingfortravel.com. It will show you what people are getting for their bids on Priceline. Here's a link to the forum:

http://biddingfortravel.yuku.com/forums/72/t/Ohio-Cincinnati.html

There are no guarantees on price OR on which hotel you'll actually get, but it's a pretty good indicator. As long as you choose 4- or 5-star and "downtown" you should be okay.

macro
07-16-2010, 12:48 PM
Here's the complete scoop on the Hall Of Fame...

http://mlb.mlb.com/cin/ballpark/museum/hours.jsp

...and the stadium tours...

http://mlb.mlb.com/cin/ballpark/tours.jsp

George Anderson
07-16-2010, 12:56 PM

I stayed there for all the playoff and WS games in 1990.

It was a dump then.

macro
07-16-2010, 05:20 PM
I mentioned this in another thread just a few days ago, but I was sitting in a room at the Newport Travelodge while Tom Browning threw his perfect game. Decided it was too wet and too cold to go to the game that night. :(

redsmetz
07-16-2010, 05:31 PM
Regarding the Travelodge, I just read the reviews on Orbitz and they were, to say the least, a mixed bag. A few that talked about the place being a total pit, but others, even noting bad reviews found it acceptable. Most spoke about it's convenience. I can't vouch for it myself, but I tend to go with reviews. Given the reviews I'm reading though, if this was somewhere else, I probably would lean away from it, but I might take a second look at the AAA Rating. I just now looked at Tripadvisor.com too. They had a lot of reviews.

writerdan33
07-16-2010, 07:13 PM
For about the last 7-8 years every time I've come to town - which is at least once a year - I use Priceline to bid on hotels downtown. I get either the Millenium or the Hyatt every time, and I've gotten rooms for as low as $45 per night. Never paid more than $80 for either of those places.

I use their parking, and my family and I either walk or take a cab to the park.

It's almost like stealing...:beerme:

deltachi8
07-16-2010, 07:21 PM
I am driving in next Wednesday on my way from Texas to NY and am stopping for the game and continuing my drive a bit after wards. Where is the easiest place to park coming in from the South? Thanks!

reds1869
07-16-2010, 07:30 PM
I am driving in next Wednesday on my way from Texas to NY and am stopping for the game and continuing my drive a bit after wards. Where is the easiest place to park coming in from the South? Thanks!

If you don't mind walking a bit, parking at Newport On The Levee is easy and cheap.

macro
08-28-2010, 10:53 AM
For about the last 7-8 years every time I've come to town - which is at least once a year - I use Priceline to bid on hotels downtown. I get either the Millenium or the Hyatt every time, and I've gotten rooms for as low as $45 per night. Never paid more than $80 for either of those places.

I use their parking, and my family and I either walk or take a cab to the park.

It's almost like stealing...:beerme:

I'm reading some really bad recent reviews about the Hyatt on TripAdvisor.com. Can anyone confirm or deny the quality of the place?

08-28-2010, 01:47 PM
I've stayed there at the Hyatt a few times. It is fine. Fairly modern and clean. I think it is comparable to the Millinium. I ran into George Grande Opening Day eve a few years ago there in the elevator.

Red in Chicago
08-28-2010, 08:41 PM
I'm reading some really bad recent reviews about the Hyatt on TripAdvisor.com. Can anyone confirm or deny the quality of the place?

I stopped staying downtown about three years ago. I now use the Hyatt Place in Florence, KY which is about a 10 minute drive to the ball park. When I was staying downtown, the Hyatt Regency was my usual place, but the quality definitely had started to go down hill. Stay in Florence, the rates are cheaper and the area is pretty nice.

macro
08-29-2010, 12:51 AM
I stopped staying downtown about three years ago. I now use the Hyatt Place in Florence, KY which is about a 10 minute drive to the ball park. When I was staying downtown, the Hyatt Regency was my usual place, but the quality definitely had started to go down hill. Stay in Florence, the rates are cheaper and the area is pretty nice.

Well, I like the go the priceline route if at all possible, but am having no luck at the 3.5 star level in Northern Kentucky or Florence (have bid up to $65 so far). Not sure what the star level is on the Hyatt Place or if it even is a hotel that Priceline gets, but I don't want to drop down to 3-star for NoKY/Florence because people have been getting the Airport Hilton, and I've read some bad stuff about it, as well.

I've heard that Priceline has raised the Hyatt to 4-star, for some strange reason, which means that may be what I get if I bid for downtown. Not sure I want to take that chance if the quality has deteriorated. Of course the whole "star" system is based on amenities and not necessarily just cleanliness or newness.