Redlegs_87
07-16-2010, 04:34 PM
Bronson today, Volquez Saturday, Wood Sunday, Cueto Monday, Leake Tuesday

Per John Fay twitter

brm7675
07-16-2010, 04:35 PM
Bronson today, Volquez Saturday, Wood Sunday, Cueto Monday, Leake Tuesday

Per John Fay twitter

So i am guessing Malloney has been sent down? To bad we couldn't get Straussburg vs. leake next wednesday, that would have been cool.:cool:

1990REDS
07-16-2010, 04:37 PM
Whens harang due back? anyone heard whos place in the rotation he will be taking?:(

brm7675
07-16-2010, 04:42 PM
Whens harang due back? anyone heard whos place in the rotation he will be taking?:(

Given the words of Dusty, Look for Wood to return to Louisville and then come back once Leake hits his inning mark or if Volquez struggles.

xavr1
07-16-2010, 05:30 PM
Yeah we dont pay Wood enough to have him start ;)

brm7675
07-16-2010, 05:45 PM
Yeah we dont pay Wood enough to have him start ;)

Sorry but baseball is still a business first...

bgwilly31
07-16-2010, 05:50 PM
we need a LH starter. Badly.

the reds need to figure out how to ride this hot streak of Wood out.

cbowen2112
07-16-2010, 05:57 PM
Sorry but baseball is still a business first...

And the business is built for a team to win...not play overpaid hacks.

cbowen2112
07-16-2010, 05:58 PM
we need a LH starter. Badly.

the reds need to figure out how to ride this hot streak of Wood out.

Yes, having two decent starts back to back from lefties should have resulted in two W's if the offense did not fall on their faces.

brm7675
07-16-2010, 06:11 PM
And the business is built for a team to win...not play overpaid hacks.

No the business is built for the owner to make money first, and for the team to win second.

cbowen2112
07-16-2010, 06:42 PM
No the business is built for the owner to make money first, and for the team to win second.

That is for losing franchises to say....which we have been because of this motto, for too long. Time to change that, especially one that says they are "tired" of losing. And yes, I do know that is said to keep the fans interested.

xavr1
07-16-2010, 06:43 PM

Even assuming you're right (which you arent), how does starting Harang because he has the more expensive contract equate to the owner making more money?

brm7675
07-16-2010, 06:45 PM
Even assuming you're right (which you arent), how does starting Harang because he has the more expensive contract equate to the owner making more money?

He doesn't make more, but he doesn't lose it. you are not going to sit a 12 million dollar investment, you are going to want to get whatever you can out of it. how many 12 million dollar players do you see pitching out of the bullpen that are not closers.

brm7675
07-16-2010, 06:46 PM
That is for losing franchises to say....which we have been because of this motto, for too long. Time to change that, especially one that says they are "tired" of losing. And yes, I do know that is said to keep the fans interested.

no, owners are in the game to make money, not one of any sports owner is in it to lose money. If he can make money and win great, but he is going to make money first and be concerned with winning second.

xavr1
07-16-2010, 06:50 PM
Zambrano comes to mind immediately. And I would answer with another question: how many $12 million pitchers are not one of the top 5 pitchers for their teams?

And I wouldnt be so quick to say that starting Harang over Wood "doesnt lose money." Over time, if Harang struggles, that very well could be the case. If this team contends, they stand to make more money than they have in years. If Harang prevents them from doing that, yes, they will be losing money by virtue of the decision to start him over a more effective pitcher.

Of course, this all rests on the assumption that Wood would throw better, which we don't and can't know. But there is evidence to suggest that he might.

GIDP
07-16-2010, 06:51 PM
I like the way that rotation looks.

Hey Meat
07-16-2010, 08:10 PM
I wish you would have posted this last night before I bought my tickets for next Friday in Houston. I was guessing I would catch Leake. Didn't figure it would be Wood.

cbowen2112
07-16-2010, 08:30 PM
no, owners are in the game to make money, not one of any sports owner is in it to lose money. If he can make money and win great, but he is going to make money first and be concerned with winning second.

You make no sense. He would like to make money, yes. How do you make money? Win some freaking baseball games, not by putting your worst pitcher out there...

CaliBuck
07-16-2010, 08:46 PM
I wish you would have posted this last night before I bought my tickets for next Friday in Houston. I was guessing I would catch Leake. Didn't figure it would be Wood.

Wood isn't too shabby, just saying.

webbbj
07-16-2010, 08:48 PM
im pretty sure i read or heard somewhere i think it was colin cowherd show that the steinbrenners lose money every year but they make up for that money lost in other business ventures. i know the reds arent the yankees but george steinbrenner wasnt even the richest owner in baseball.

why does it matter where you play harang regardless you still have to pay his salary anyway.

scott91575
07-16-2010, 09:01 PM
He doesn't make more, but he doesn't lose it. you are not going to sit a 12 million dollar investment, you are going to want to get whatever you can out of it. how many 12 million dollar players do you see pitching out of the bullpen that are not closers.

You have to pay him no matter what you do with him. Wood has already had his option used up for the year, and will not get to Super Two no matter how much he pitches this year. Therefore, starting Harang or waiving him is the same amount of money and has no effect on Wood. Yet if you win more ballgames you can make more money. So your logic makes no sense.

Again, incorrect. Some owners are billionaires who care more about winning than making money. Heck, look at the Yankees. They could make a lot more money if they spent less, but they want to win. Do they still make money? Sure, but they are certainly not maximizing profit.

In other words, all of your logic is flawed.

ILoveWilly
07-16-2010, 10:09 PM
Harang just needs to move to the pen. He's washed up anyway.

cbowen2112
07-16-2010, 10:50 PM
You have to pay him no matter what you do with him. Wood has already had his option used up for the year, and will not get to Super Two no matter how much he pitches this year. Therefore, starting Harang or waiving him is the same amount of money and has no effect on Wood. Yet if you win more ballgames you can make more money. So your logic makes no sense.

Again, incorrect. Some owners are billionaires who care more about winning than making money. Heck, look at the Yankees. They could make a lot more money if they spent less, but they want to win. Do they still make money? Sure, but they are certainly not maximizing profit.

In other words, all of your logic is flawed.

:beerme::beerme::beerme:

At least I am not the only one here that thinks this...Bravo:clap:

Kiko
07-17-2010, 01:46 PM
If Wood continues to pitch great then how can you take him out of the rotation? Didn't the Phillies have this issue with J.A. Happ last year after they signed Pedro. They kept Happ in the rotation. Leake probably won't be available in Sept. so you are going to need Harang. Hopefully Bailey will be back by Sept.

Maker_84
07-17-2010, 02:22 PM
that is one amazing starting pitching staff we have now

lidspinner
07-17-2010, 03:26 PM
brm...just stop right now and quit the debate...no way you can win this one friend.....Walt stands to lose money by allowing Harang to pitch and send Wood down....Wood is going to give this team the best chance to win, wind equal playoff race which in turn equals butts in the seats which means more concessions which means more money for Walter.....so the business side of it holds no water...

If Travis Wood is sent down it will be because the Bob made a demand...not a request...to play the money guy. A part of me thinks that is what Dusty was told in meetings and it pissed him off so much that he made that comment to the media yesterday.....now that we all know the reasoning behind it, if Wood does get sent down, then the media will tear this organization apart if Aaron fails to give us good pitching.....so I think Dusty let the cat out of the bag and is kind of forcing the front office into re-thinking this whole ordeal.

I know Dusty likes his vets, but I think Dusty can taste it.....he can feel this city starting to wake up from its decade long slumber....Dusty can hear the fans starting to care...he knows his best option is to start Travis Wood right now....vet or not, Aaron is the odd man out at this point.....if we were 6 games out, then maybe a different tune, but we are fighting for the Central baby and Dusty is going to ride his best horses to the top, he is not going to stand by and let some owner or GM tell him what to do....hence the statement to media....(sounds far fetched but I like it...LOL)

lidspinner
07-17-2010, 03:29 PM
If Wood continues to pitch great then how can you take him out of the rotation? Didn't the Phillies have this issue with J.A. Happ last year after they signed Pedro. They kept Happ in the rotation. Leake probably won't be available in Sept. so you are going to need Harang. Hopefully Bailey will be back by Sept.

when this team makes the playoffs, no way can we NOT have Mike in there...we have to find a way now to save his innings....Mike Leake throwing that low fastball is what we need when the Dodgers or Padres come to GABP, we need that ground ball guy. Maybe the plan all along is for Leake to get us there and let Chapman finish the job....who knows.