PDA

View Full Version : opinion needed

Orenda
07-16-2010, 10:38 PM
Dan Dorn's career minor league OPS vs rhp is .949. When will this guy be considered for a MLB platoon?

It is still my personal opinion that Gomes will continue to be a very interesting platoon guy until he shows a little more plate discipline. Considering what Dorn continues to do against RHP I think it may be time for him to get called up.

So is he ML ready? And would anybody prefer him over Laynce Nix or Chris Dickerson?

GIDP
07-16-2010, 10:44 PM
I think he would fit a role better than 2 of Nix, Heisey, or Dickerson. Obviously he probably take the spot of Nix if he was in the majors. If I was the Reds Dorn fits 2 roles. Can play first on days Votto needs a day, and would be a LH power bat that they certainly dont have on the bench. Nix and Heisey have similar roles right now, Heisey is the RH bat so he stays.

REDblooded
07-16-2010, 10:48 PM
Not to mention Heisey is the superior defensive replacement...

Roush's socks
07-16-2010, 11:11 PM
I'm not sure why they've never taken Dorn seriously.

jpurdy
07-17-2010, 07:28 AM
Maybe they are confusing him with Roger Dorn.

mound_patrol
07-17-2010, 09:03 AM
Maybe it's because they like that Nix is a left handed bat that can play all three outfield positions. If I were in a position to make a decision I bring up Dorn yesterday to replace Nix. Probably prefer Dorn over Dickerson too at this point.

RED VAN HOT
07-17-2010, 01:21 PM
I have liked Dorn as a platoon player for some time. To me, there are two issues. Occasional injuries have kept him from putting together a full season with eye popping numbers. On the other issue, I defer to those who have seen him play and question his defense. Players displaying questionable defense are at a tremendous disadvantage in the Reds organization and MLB in general. As evidence I point out that there were no takers on Dorn for Rule 5 and even Gomes with proven ML success could not get a good deal on the open market.

I think his value is in the AL as a fifth OF/DH. I don't think he is likely to get a shot at that role until he can prove an ability to stay healthy and hit ML pitching. That is, he must prove that his offense can overcome is defensive shortcomings. That puts him in a Catch 22 bind. His best shot would be a strong AAA finish followed by a September call up and good success as a PH/spot starter. That might increase his trade value to the point that an off season trade to an AL team could be made. To me, he has Oakland written all over him.

gedred69
07-19-2010, 11:54 PM
I have banged the Dorn drum for so long my arm has grown tired. Doug and others have for the last 2-3 years now as well. He was ready to hit MLB RH pitching 2 years ago before ST that year, to the point Doug said of all the Reds hitting prospects Dorn was the only guy ready to step to the plate at GABP and not be over-matched. He's a Gomes defense-wise the LF, maybe he could cover percariously in RF. He also plays 1st. And now, he hits both RH and LH pitching. The total snub he gets from the Reds, their commentators, and the air-jockeys is confounding. I brought him up to Daugherty when he was on WLW, and he was, Huh? After he looked up Dorn's #'s he was chewing out his researcher, "How come we didn't know about this guy"?

TRF
07-20-2010, 10:33 AM
He really isn't an OF anymore. Most of his starts this year have been at 1B. If Votto were injured, I'd have Dorn starting at 1B.

All Danny Dorn does is hit.

KOBasinger
07-20-2010, 11:32 AM
Can't see him being any less productive than Nix. Would love to see him when September comes around if not sooner.

camisadelgolf
07-20-2010, 11:44 AM
Dan Dorn's career minor league OPS vs rhp is .949. When will this guy be considered for a MLB platoon?

It is still my personal opinion that Gomes will continue to be a very interesting platoon guy until he shows a little more plate discipline. Considering what Dorn continues to do against RHP I think it may be time for him to get called up.

So is he ML ready? And would anybody prefer him over Laynce Nix or Chris Dickerson?
I don't think he'll ever be seriously considered for a platoon as an outfielder. His swing reminds me of Paul O'Neill's during his Cincinnati days, but obviously, his defense isn't even close. I think his best comp is Daryle Ward. I'd love to have him on the bench.

Is he ML ready? Yes, I think so. Would I prefer him over Nix or Dickerson? That's kind of a complicated question.

Dickerson > Dorn
Nix > Dorn
Dickerson + Dorn > Dickerson + Nix

What team needs both Dickerson and Nix? None, imo. Having both on the same squad is redundant.

GIDP
07-20-2010, 11:51 AM
I don't think he'll ever be seriously considered for a platoon as an outfielder. His swing reminds me of Paul O'Neill's during his Cincinnati days, but obviously, his defense isn't even close. I think his best comp is Daryle Ward. I'd love to have him on the bench.

Is he ML ready? Yes, I think so. Would I prefer him over Nix or Dickerson? That's kind of a complicated question.

Dickerson > Dorn
Nix > Dorn
Dickerson + Dorn > Dickerson + Nix

What team needs both Dickerson and Nix? None, imo. Having both on the same squad is redundant.

This is very correct. I think the main issue is that there is no LH power bat right now anywhere close to the bench. Nix would be a good player to keep around if his role was to be that replacement defensive guy who got spot starts, but with Heisey around he really serves no purpose. His bat isnt very good, and honestly I dont know if he could hit RH pitching better than Heisey could anyways.

Replacing Nix with Dorn would not only increase the LH power, it would give someone the Reds could play in LF on occasion, and would give the Reds a player who could play First when Votto took a day off with out losing a likely .200 + points in OPS like the Reds currently do when they have Cairo playing over there.

I just dont see where Nix fits anymore.