PDA

View Full Version : Why aren't Sunday day games a bigger draw?

mlh1981
07-18-2010, 04:50 PM
Obviously, there were a lot of festivities in the past few nights that helped boost the attendance numbers, but given how well the team has played, and the fact that it's Sunday, you would figure there would've been more than 25k in the park today. That's a sharp drop from the past 2 games.

This seems like a trend. Even in more normal attendance Friday/Saturday night games, the Sunday attendance is always a good deal smaller than the nights before. Why it is?

Do people just have other things happening on Sundays? Is it too hot? I can't think of anything.

and I do realize that sunday games are better attended than weekday games, but you figure that families would prefer these Sunday afternoon games over the night games, where their kids are up really late and what not.

ILoveWilly
07-18-2010, 04:56 PM
Probably because they realize Dusty is going to start Corky Miller, Laynce Nix, Miguel Cairo, Wily Taveras, Corey Patterson, Royce Clayton, Brandon Larson, Pete Rose Junior, and your grandma, so they bother not to watch another forfeited game.

mlh1981
07-18-2010, 04:57 PM
Probably because they realize Dusty is going to start Corky Miller, Laynce Nix, Miguel Cairo, Wily Taveras, Corey Patterson, Royce Clayton, Brandon Larson, Pete Rose Junior, and your grandma, so they bother not to watch another forfeited game.

That would be some lineup for one game, but I'm sure they would still beat the Pirates.

arkimadee
07-18-2010, 05:07 PM
lol you are an angry human being

BigJohn
07-18-2010, 06:28 PM
Start too early for the church crowd. 3pm start time would be much better attended. And it is HOT.

davereds24
07-18-2010, 06:40 PM
Yeah it was so hot today, and if someone wanted to go to a game or two this weekend they would have gone to the concert/fireworks or the bobblehead game unless they had kids who wanted the helmet.

The Voice of IH
07-18-2010, 06:52 PM

this is very true in its meaning. The Reds have been shut out 5 times on Sunday, because they play backups all at once. if everyone who needs rest is rested on the same day, I would not want to go to that game (and obliviously I am not the only one)

George Foster
07-18-2010, 09:33 PM
I don't go to day games because you absolutley COOK! in the sun, unless you buy expensive tickets on the 1st base side. Church is not over until 12pm (most churches) and getting to the park on time is really hard for people living 10-15 miles from the stadium. If you live futher away, you have to skip church. 2pm game time would only help that.

sabometrics
07-19-2010, 01:32 AM
The heat is a big factor imo. That and the casual fan still looks at the game as a social event, something to go to with friends and enjoy oneself over a couple of beers. Post-church, mass, or whatever you call it, it just doesn't have the appeal as going out to a night game. Today was especially disappointing considering the crowds the previous two nights, as well as the spectacular performances put on the field.

webbbj
07-19-2010, 01:36 AM
the reds need to get a swimming pool like they got in arizona

nkukevin
07-19-2010, 01:51 AM
I love the Reds like everyone else on here and I went to the game Saturday, but I refuse to go and bake at the ballpark. Day games should be reserved for early and late in the year. I talked to multiple people about their plans for going to games and almost all of them mentioned the heat.

The problem is that I think the games would be blacked out on Sunday nights due to Sunday night baseball, so that doesn't really give them the option to move it. I'm not even sure how many would show up on the night before Monday.

So obviously the solution is for the Reds to win the world series so they are on Sunday night baseball a lot next year. ;)

KOBasinger
07-19-2010, 09:24 AM
Lineups/heat/early game/ etc..

Fon Duc Tow
07-19-2010, 09:42 AM
Maybe because on Sundays even the Reds players don't look like they want to be there?

bounty37h
07-19-2010, 09:52 AM
Sounds pretty weak to me, I can see th elineup issue the most-the rest arent things any other team and fans dont have to deal with too-weather, traveltime, church, etc. I was at 2 ballgames in North Carolina this weekend, you wanna talk hot to watch a game try that out.

Hey Meat
07-19-2010, 06:04 PM
Because everyone knows that Rolen is going to be off. That's why I bought tickets for Friday and Saturday this week and dissed Sunday.

Kingspoint
07-19-2010, 06:14 PM
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3633/3734060226_812a70b854.jpg

OSUredsFAN
07-19-2010, 08:39 PM
I remember back in the day, sunday games started at 2:15.

Kingspoint
07-19-2010, 09:23 PM
That's a better time if your family goes to Church.

gedred69
07-20-2010, 12:13 AM
As others have mentioned, seems Sunday usually gets the "B" line-up. An hour later start would help, not only for the Church crowd but face it. Most fans with the $$ live outside the city so getting there early enough is a drag on a day when a lot of folks like to go in the laid back mode. By the time I park and get in GABP from where I live it's an hour+. I like waking up 'bout 9:30-10:00 on Sundays and taking my time doing anything. (I still go to Sunday games though, but I'm a fanatic).