PDA

View Full Version : What the uncle Walt has to do before July 31

fewfirstchoice
07-18-2010, 06:02 PM
This Reds team needs another bat and a quality arm and they need it now. Heres what id do if it were me.

Reds send to Royals
Yonder Alonso, Juan Francisco, Jordan Smith, Matt Maloney or Bailey, and Chris Heisey

Royals send to Reds
David DeJesus and Zach Greinke

That maybe a steep price to pay but i believe it would be very much worth it. Alonso is blocked by Votto. We can deal Francisco because we Frazier at the same position right with him. The Reds also have great depth at pitching in both starters and middle relief so the lose of Maloney or Bailey and Smith will not hurt. But thre Heisey part is the only part id be a little hesitant on. But id pull the trigger.

DeJesus can step in and play either center or left with Stubbs, Bruce, and Gomes playing the other 2 spots. He would make a great leadoff man and we could bat Phillips were he really should be hitting. The reds outfield maybe the best in baseball.

With Greinke added to our rotation, wow watch out.
Greinke
Volquez
Cueto
Arroyo(this year - Wood next year)
Leake

It could really be the best rotation in baseball. But theres probably no chance of it ever happening but it would make our Reds a better club. Can you say Playoffs i know the Reds could.

ILoveWilly
07-18-2010, 06:04 PM
We don't need starting pitching we need a freaking offense. Take out Alonso, and switch Soria with Greinke.

fewfirstchoice
07-18-2010, 06:10 PM
We don't need starting pitching we need a freaking offense. Take out Alonso, and switch Soria with Greinke.

That would work aswell. But to say Cincy doesnt need a true #1 is not true. They would have to jump at the chance to get a true #1 starter.

muddie
07-18-2010, 06:10 PM
Of the last five games, the Reds have lost three of them 1-0, that's ugly. I would think that means you need to look at the offense.

rolenmvp
07-18-2010, 06:11 PM
I agree, something needs to be done about this offense, If I am walt, I would't be able to sleep. I think the bullpen will be fine as will the starting pitching, it all starts with this offense, something needs to be done.

muddie
07-18-2010, 06:12 PM
That would work aswell. But to say Cincy doesnt need a true #1 is not true. They would have to jump at the chance to get a true #1 starter.

You have to consider this team and the money they will spend. In light of this, the Reds don't really need a number one. This rotation is most adequate as is.

GIDP
07-18-2010, 06:23 PM
Gotta fine a better LH power bat on the bench. Nix simply isnt a good enough player for him to be the go to guy.

.227/.257/.412 against righties this year
.249/.300/.502 against righties last year
.236/.287/.471 against righties the last 3 years combined

He isnt a good hitter, and completely relies on finding the gaps. He is a decent guy if hes your 4th OF guy that you put in late in games, but he has no business really being the LH power bat when he has so much trouble actually hitting the ball.

They have to give Cabrera more days off. He is old, and there is no reason for Janish to be getting half the ABs that Cairo is getting, and only 8 starts at short through 93 games this year. Corky Miller has had more starts and PA than Janish has this year. Seriously. Janish isnt going to light the world on fire but there is no reason why he should be getting shafted that hard on a nightly basis.

You have to find a better back up bat for Votto, and Rolen. Cairo really offers nothing other than slap singles. He is a career .267/.315/.359 hitter and the only thing that is making him have a slightly better year this year is that his BA is 20 points higher than his career average.

My solution is Danny Dorn for Nix. I dont care if hes a rookie or not. He fits more of a role on this roster than Nix does every day of the week. He can play first, he can play left, and is exactly the type of RH mashing bench bat that the Reds dont have. With Heisey there is no real reason to keep Nix around. They basically have the same roles.

That basically leaves the who backs up Rolen problem. I dont see that being an easy fix. I dont think the Reds are willing to fix it for the sake of team chemistry.

Vottomatic
07-18-2010, 06:47 PM
This Reds team needs another bat and a quality arm and they need it now. Heres what id do if it were me.

Reds send to Royals
Yonder Alonso, Juan Francisco, Jordan Smith, Matt Maloney or Bailey, and Chris Heisey

Royals send to Reds
David DeJesus and Zach Greinke

Alonso is blocked by Votto. We can deal Francisco because we Frazier at the same position right with him. The Reds also have great depth at pitching in both starters and middle relief so the lose of Maloney or Bailey and Smith will not hurt. But thre Heisey part is the only part id be a little hesitant on. But id pull the trigger.

DeJesus can step in and play either center or left with Stubbs, Bruce, and Gomes playing the other 2 spots. He would make a great leadoff man and we could bat Phillips were he really should be hitting. The reds outfield maybe the best in baseball.

With Greinke added to our rotation, wow watch out.
Greinke
Volquez
Cueto
Arroyo(this year - Wood next year)
Leake

It could really be the best rotation in baseball. But theres probably no chance of it ever happening but it would make our Reds a better club. Can you say Playoffs i know the Reds could.

As a small market club, I think ownership is looking forward to not having any big contracts for starting pitching. However, it's pretty obvious that BC and WJ are in a personal competition against St. Louis, so acquiring a Zach Greinke, if they could pry him away from KC, would not be out of the question, IMHO, in terms of BC and WJ wanting to stick it to the Cards.

But I agree with the other poster who suggested switching Soria with Greinke and you might have a deal.

My personal wish would be to switch Bruce with Heisey's name, and then stick Heisey in RF. I'm sick of Jay Bruce. Sell while he still has some value.

Alonso, Bruce, Jordan Smith, and Maloney or Bailey to KC for Dejesus and Soria.

That's 2 major leaguers (Bruce, Smith), another starting pitcher who has tasted the majors last year and this year and has nothing left to prove in triple A (Maloney) and a former #1 prospect who is coming off of injury and starting to hit really well in triple A as he continues to recover. Personally, I think that's a pretty nice haul for KC. Also, they reap the rewards of low salaries and we take on the higher salaries of about $9M for Soria/Dejesus combined.

You'd have to buy a big box of tissue for Joey Votto to cry in when Bruce is traded though.

Figure out a way to unload Cordero and make Soria the closer ASAP.

The Voice of IH
07-18-2010, 06:55 PM
we not only need a bat.... I think we need a long term bat. find some one with a few years on the contact and trade for him. I still think if needed, we could bring up Alonso just so he can come off the bench to pinch hit.

lidspinner
07-18-2010, 07:33 PM
we not only need a bat.... I think we need a long term bat. find some one with a few years on the contact and trade for him. I still think if needed, we could bring up Alonso just so he can come off the bench to pinch hit.

you think Yonder is good enough to come off the bench and hit MLB pitching?

GIDP
07-18-2010, 07:50 PM

In a couple months after he heals fully from his hand injury last year maybe.

Kiss the Baby00
07-18-2010, 07:56 PM

Yes.

Texas Pete
07-18-2010, 08:19 PM

Yes.

Maker_84
07-18-2010, 08:35 PM
we dont need pitching, not even in the pen since bray has been up besides Cordero our BP has been fine. Our timely hitting is killing us though. It's easy to get hits with no pressure and up 5 runs. Its in the 1 run games where we are terrible.

kfm
07-18-2010, 09:00 PM

No, and the last thing we need is another young guy who is still developing sitting on the bench. Maybe after Louisville season is over, you can bring him up and see if he can hit, but other than that I have not seen anything that makes me believe that he could be productive starting let alone coming off the bench for a MLB team.

SanDiegoRed
07-18-2010, 10:26 PM
Agree on the bat..Who?

redssince75
07-18-2010, 11:32 PM
KC is not giving up Greinke. He's their biggest star and puts more butts in the seats every few days. The fans would revolt.

I say trading Jay Bruce is a most excellent idea...I can't remember the last time he did something positive in a clutch situation.

webbbj
07-19-2010, 12:24 AM
funny how quickly needs can change. 6 weeks ago i thought bullpen and an ace was the biggest needs. now i think its a bat. we may not have a true ace but were very deep and got lots of guys capable of throwing CG SOs. the greinke deal is probably unrealistic for any team to pull off. id just look for the best OF bat available and best bullpen arm available.

BigPoppa
07-19-2010, 04:46 PM
Any trade between Cin. and KC simply must involve Soria coming over. All else is moot.

KOBasinger
07-19-2010, 05:11 PM
Any trade between Cin. and KC simply must involve Soria coming over. All else is moot.

Word. We dont need Grienke. I'd send them Alonso and Francisco just for him.

redsfanmia
07-19-2010, 05:11 PM
I say trading Jay Bruce is a most excellent idea...I can't remember the last time he did something positive in a clutch situation.

The guys is 23 years old and is great defensive outfielder, a great baserunner and is improving at the plate, if he were 26 or 27 I would agree with you.

redsfanmia
07-19-2010, 05:12 PM
I think the big move at the deadline will be calling up Chapman or Russ Springer nothing else. Bob C will then say they had no money to make moves because the fans are not showing up.

KOBasinger
07-19-2010, 05:14 PM
I think the big move at the deadline will be calling up Chapman or Russ Springer nothing else. Bob C will then say they had no money to make moves because the fans are not showing up.

I wouldn't take that as an excuse. We hit nearly 100 k for the weekend :D

brm7675
07-19-2010, 05:15 PM
Walt has to do one thing..DFA GARY MATTHEWS JUNIOR...

Girevik
07-20-2010, 08:08 AM
Word. We dont need Grienke. I'd send them Alonso and Francisco just for him.

I wouldn't go that far....getting Grienke in Cincy would be HUGE. I just think that the idea he's even available is a dream. He's the one draw that KC has and will be cheap for a few more years. I don't see him going anywhere.

brm7675
07-20-2010, 10:47 AM

no what Walt will say is that there was no one out there (and there isn't) that was worth adding for what young talent we would have had to part with. There is no reason to trade when you have in house talent that is equal to are just about equal to what is available on the trade market.

Ohioballplayer
07-20-2010, 06:37 PM
KC is not giving up Greinke. He's their biggest star and puts more butts in the seats every few days. The fans would revolt.

He is 23, 23, twentyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy threeeeeeeeeeee, give him time, trading Bruce would be a huge mistake!!!!

Yes Dejesus and Greinke would be awesome and getable IMHO. Yonder, Maloney, so on... the Royals would be idiotic not to accept