PDA

View Full Version : Reds sign Isringhausen

mace
07-19-2010, 11:37 AM
According to mlbtraderumors.com, the Reds are tentatively planning to bring in Jason Isringhausen tomorrow for a look. He last pitched for the Rays in June of last year, and since had Tommy John surgery. He thinks he'd need a couple weeks of rehab in the minors. The Cardinals, Rays, Yankees and Royals are also checking him out. They picked up the report from KFNS 590.

Degenerate39
07-19-2010, 11:40 AM
I'd be tempted to give him a contract just so the Cardinals dont get him

cincrazy
07-19-2010, 11:52 AM
Do they really think that Russ Springer and Jason Isringhausen are upgrades over the likes of Ondrusek and Smith? Because I don't see it. Sending the veterans to the minors for depth is one thing, immediately promoting them to the majors and giving them a bullpen spot is a whole other thing.

BCubb2003
07-19-2010, 12:02 PM
Any RedsZoners around Washington Court House? How's Jeff Shaw these days?

Mario-Rijo
07-19-2010, 12:06 PM
I was clearly upset by the headline that is until I read the part about TJS. Could be something there, could prove to be a very shrewd move.

westofyou
07-19-2010, 12:35 PM
Reds are also checking out all the yard sales and curbs on garbage day, rumor has it they are also thinking about buying a whole cow instead of already cut steaks.

PuffyPig
07-19-2010, 12:50 PM
I'd be tempted to give him a contract just so the Cardinals dont get him

I'd be tempted to pretend interest in him just so they do get him....

Joseph
07-19-2010, 01:06 PM
Reds are also checking out all the yard sales and curbs on garbage day, rumor has it they are also thinking about buying a whole cow instead of already cut steaks.

Just think of the money they'll save by doing it themselves.

Brutus
07-19-2010, 01:07 PM

They were seen outside a local pawn shop...

BCubb2003
07-19-2010, 01:09 PM
The bullpen seems to have steadied itself lately, with Masset, Ondrusek and Smith pitching well now, but it sure is hard to have confidence when these 1-0 games reach the seventh.

RBA
07-19-2010, 01:11 PM
They were seen outside a local pawn shop...

Also seen outside Montgomery Inn near the dumpster. They found 7 ribs that still had some meat left on the bone.

Roy Tucker
07-19-2010, 01:20 PM
I remember a post-broken leg Ron Gant was found in a dumpster.

But they also have found a lot of dumpster pitchers who smelled up the place like a dead possum on the side of the road.

Izzy is worth a look at least. Let the scouts do their thing and maybe a minor league contract and see how he looks at AAA.

BCubb2003
07-19-2010, 01:26 PM
At least it's not the desperate days of "We need a warm body by this weekend even if it's Rheal Cormier."

edabbs44
07-19-2010, 01:47 PM
It is 2010, not 2006. I think some of the sarcasm has been recycled from yesteryear.

If the Yankees, Rays and Cards are in the mix, I'm happy that Cincy is as well. This isn't the same as the years of Estaban Yan and Mike Burns.

RedLegSuperStar
07-19-2010, 02:11 PM
It is 2010, not 2006. I think some of the sarcasm has been recycled from yesteryear.

If the Yankees, Rays and Cards are in the mix, I'm happy that Cincy is as well. This isn't the same as the years of Estaban Yan and Mike Burns.

Thing is.. If any of those teams sign him it will be a brilliant move.. If the Reds sign him it will be an organization ending move that have people scratching their heads.

edabbs44
07-19-2010, 03:06 PM
Thing is.. If any of those teams sign him it will be a brilliant move.. If the Reds sign him it will be an organization ending move that have people scratching their heads.

Yep.

Roy Tucker
07-19-2010, 03:29 PM

Ahhhh, I don't know.

With the Reds' success this year, the national press is viewing it as another success by Walt Jocketty. With that comes a little leeway for making moves and having them viewed positively. Or at least not viewed as another bozo move by Bowden.

savafan
07-19-2010, 04:42 PM
I'm younger than Springer and Isringhausen. My fastball is mediocre, but I've got a pretty good curveball, and I've mastered the knuckleball, which I've been throwing for 17 years. I'm not really doing anything right now, so Walt, give me a call. :)

fearofpopvol1
07-19-2010, 06:55 PM
Surely, this must be about a coaching job.

KronoRed
07-19-2010, 07:12 PM
Sounds like the Reds are right up against it in the budget department.

Falls City Beer
07-19-2010, 07:50 PM

No doubt. Adding Johnny Damon? Nope.

This is the squad they'll either live or die with.

RED VAN HOT
07-19-2010, 09:34 PM
WJ is doing a pretty good job of generating bullpen options for the stretch run. If he can still pitch, one thing Isringhausen brings is closing experience. IMO, the Reds will need more than Cordero in September. They may be reluctant to use Masset, Ondrusek, or Smith in that role in high pressure games.

Benihana
07-19-2010, 09:43 PM
nevermind

RedLegSuperStar
07-19-2010, 10:06 PM

So why attempt to nab Cliff Lee?

Falls City Beer
07-19-2010, 10:09 PM
So why attempt to nab Cliff Lee?

Never really serious, I'd guess.

RedLegSuperStar
07-19-2010, 10:11 PM
Never really serious, I'd guess.

Got pretty serious.. serious to get the Yankees trade to be placed on hold.. which led to the Rangers coughing up Smoak

RedLegSuperStar
07-19-2010, 10:13 PM
money is their as they are no doubt seeing the type of crowds they saw in 2003 when the park opened. i just hate to say that there is nothing out there that makes a whole lot of sense.

Falls City Beer
07-19-2010, 10:14 PM
Got pretty serious.. serious to get the Yankees trade to be placed on hold.. which led to the Rangers coughing up Smoak

Notice that after the deal was made, none of the reporters claimed the Reds were in it till the end? Also, no names were reported coming from the Reds.

VR
07-19-2010, 10:17 PM
I wonder how Reds attendance is... vs. expecatations

Chip R
07-19-2010, 10:21 PM
money is their as they are no doubt seeing the type of crowds they saw in 2003 when the park opened. i just hate to say that there is nothing out there that makes a whole lot of sense.

Really? The way it's going they will be fortunate to draw 2 million when in 2003 they drew 2.3 million. They have already played the bulk (49) of their home games.

camisadelgolf
07-19-2010, 10:23 PM
Notice that after the deal was made, none of the reporters claimed the Reds were in it till the end? Also, no names were reported coming from the Reds.
I also noticed that Jocketty is notorious for playing his hand so close to his chest.

Brutus
07-19-2010, 10:35 PM

Jocketty himself said they made what they thought was an extremely competitive offer. He sure sounded "serious."

Boss-Hog
07-19-2010, 10:38 PM
Jocketty himself said they made what they thought was an extremely competitive offer. He sure sounded "serious."
http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20100719/SPT04/7180338/1071/Jocketty-will-deal-when-necessary

edabbs44
07-19-2010, 10:38 PM
Calling BS on the so-called budget crunch. If ther eis a deal to be made, it will be made.

savafan
07-19-2010, 10:42 PM
That was a great article Boss, thanks for posting.

I believe Jocketty will make a move to improve this club, and I predict it will be a name that hasn't been mentioned yet as available, and will surprise us.

Falls City Beer
07-19-2010, 10:44 PM
That was a great article Boss, thanks for posting.

I believe Jocketty will make a move to improve this club, and I predict it will be a name that hasn't been mentioned yet as available, and will surprise us.

Let's hope he OPS .900, throws 95 MPH, and can throw out of the bullpen on days he doesn't start.

camisadelgolf
07-19-2010, 10:48 PM
Let's hope he OPS .900, throws 95 MPH, and can throw out of the bullpen on days he doesn't start.
Don't forget record-setting range at shortstop. :cool:

savafan
07-19-2010, 10:58 PM

http://blogbeckett.files.wordpress.com/2008/03/hobbs.jpg

Caveat Emperor
07-19-2010, 11:15 PM

Means nothing, other than nobody in the Reds org feels like leaking who is available. Why tip your hand and let the world know you were OK giving a certain guy up.

As far as Isringhausen goes -- don't read anything more into it than Jocketty giving a look to a guy he knows well. If he can help, brilliant. If not, nothing lost. It in no way precludes a bigger move later or suggests that this is the best the Reds can do -- it merely says that Isringhausen is available for a free look and the Reds intend to take it.

RedEye
07-19-2010, 11:16 PM
Calling BS on the so-called budget crunch. If ther eis a deal to be made, it will be made.

Agreed. BTW, Fay suggests that Jocketty offered Alonso + 2 or 3 prospects for Lee, but I'm unclear from his phrasing whether he means this package as a hypothetical scenario or a real one that actually happened in negotiations. Just curious, because I saw other reports that seem to contradict this, saying that Jocketty was willing to part with Francisco but not Alonso.

Joseph
07-20-2010, 06:08 PM
Izzy apparently was impressive 'for a guy who hasn't thrown in a while'.

Mario-Rijo
07-20-2010, 06:18 PM
Izzy apparently was impressive 'for a guy who hasn't thrown in a while'.

Isringhausen impresses Baker
Posted by jfay July 20th, 2010, 4:45 pm

Right-hander Jason Isringhausen threw for the Reds coaches and front office staff today.

He looked good for a guy whos been out a while, Dusty Baker said. He looked strong.

The Reds are considering Isringhausen, 37, for a bullpen role. Ill update after I talk to Walt Jocketty.

fearofpopvol1
07-20-2010, 06:44 PM
My question is...if the Reds were going to bring up Springer or sign Izzy, who would they replace? The pen has been pretty good as of late with the exception maybe being Cordero.

nemesis
07-20-2010, 06:56 PM
http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20100719/SPT04/7180338/1071/Jocketty-will-deal-when-necessary

What I liked reading in this article is that it does sound like Fay had some insight on Jocketty drawing the line on Wood in the deal. Makes me feel much more confident that he realizes Wood's value to the future. If he wouldn't deal Wood for Lee then I would imagine he has to be in the almost untouchable category.

Keep in mind Wood isn't going to be pitching against to many good teams for the rest of the year and has a shot of sustaining very good numbers for the rest of the season.

Gallen5862
07-20-2010, 07:24 PM
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

Reds Offer Isringhausen Contract
By Ben Nicholson-Smith [July 20 at 4:51pm CST]
Walt Jocketty can't resist those former Cardinals. The Reds have offered Jason Isringhausen a contract and expect resolution soon, according to John Fay of the Cincinnati Enquirer (via Twitter). Jocketty told Fay that he expects to hear from Isringhausen within a day or two.

The Reds watched Isringhausen throw today and manager Dusty Baker told Fay that he liked what he saw (Twitter link). If the Reds do sign the 37-year-old, he'll help former Cards teammates Scott Rolen and Russ Springer try to lead Cincinnati back to the playoffs.

Big Klu
07-20-2010, 07:39 PM
My question is...if the Reds were going to bring up Springer or sign Izzy, who would they replace? The pen has been pretty good as of late with the exception maybe being Cordero.

Probably Smith.

membengal
07-20-2010, 07:40 PM
Owings?

Mario-Rijo
07-20-2010, 07:41 PM
Double post!

Mario-Rijo
07-20-2010, 07:42 PM
Owings?

Possibly, he certainly hasn't been used/needed much. But I agree with Klu, my 1st thought is the inexperienced Smith. Experience being what they seem to be seeking with these guys.

Degenerate39
07-20-2010, 07:43 PM
Wouldn't Izzy get some playing time in the minors first?

membengal
07-20-2010, 07:45 PM
If they want to bring up both Springer and Izzy, they will need two spots.

savafan
07-20-2010, 09:04 PM
Owings?

I forgot he was still on the team.

Joseph
07-20-2010, 09:14 PM
I forgot he was still on the team.

So did his mom.

Blitz Dorsey
07-20-2010, 09:20 PM
Jim Day confirms that from talking to Jocketty, the Reds have offered Isringhausen a contract and will give him "a couple days" to decide. Said his bullpen session was excellent.

fearofpopvol1
07-20-2010, 09:29 PM

This is a good read.

Obviously he can't do anything, but I wonder what a young guy like Yonder Alonso thinks when he sees this. He has to know.

RED VAN HOT
07-20-2010, 10:00 PM
I like the prospect of adding Isringhausen. Adding experienced pitchers (Springer) who have been through pennant races and also have fresh arms in August would be a plus. Izzy can also close.

On the broadcast tonight there was discussion around who would be replaced on the 40 if Izzy and/or Springer were added. I do not believe WJ will simply DFA players in order to add. I suspect he will try to move a pitcher or two for minor league players. To me the most likely are Herrera, Del Rosario, Fisher, and possibly Valiquette or even Maloney, although the latter would be valuable as starter insurance. Any thoughts on who might be moved?

Another possibility is that Homer could go on the 60 DL. Finally, it seems to me that the Reds need to decide what to do with Dickerson. He will use a 40 spot when he comes off the 60 DL.

nemesis
07-20-2010, 10:28 PM
Another possibility is that Homer could go on the 60 DL. Finally, it seems to me that the Reds need to decide what to do with Dickerson. He will use a 40 spot when he comes off the 60 DL.

From the sounds of the pregame. Bailey could be in Louisville to start a rehab by the end of next week. So putting him on the 60 day DL would be a very short term fix. Would imagine looking at the roster, Valakia, Fisher, Burton, Sutton, Nix will be the most likely ones to get Springer, Isringhausen and Dickerson on.

GAC
07-21-2010, 08:19 AM

He also said he wanted to resign Adam Dunn.... and sounded very sincere and serious as I watched the interview.

Nothing wrong with taking a look at Izzy. I don't see where there are many BP arms readily available at the moment. It's that time of the year when every team is trying to fill a particular need, save some money, not give any talent up, and even resorting to "scrounging through the dumpsters". Pull one out... and put one in (Owings), as far as I'm concerned.

harangatang
07-21-2010, 11:28 AM
He also said he wanted to resign Adam Dunn.... and sounded very sincere and serious as I watched the interview.Really? I must've missed that part of the interview.

alexad
07-21-2010, 03:00 PM
When you are trying to win a pennant, you make the necessary moves. Remember in 1990, the team released Ken Griffey in August to make room for needed pitching. Anybody not playing to par or in the minors could get the ax.

traderumor
07-21-2010, 04:10 PM
When you are trying to win a pennant, you make the necessary moves. Remember in 1990, the team released Ken Griffey in August to make room for needed pitching. Anybody not playing to par or in the minors could get the ax.The real reason for that was as a favor to Sr. so he could go play a few months with Jr.

reds44
07-21-2010, 04:55 PM
johnfayman #Reds' Jocketty expects Isringhausen to sign later today.

traderumor
07-21-2010, 05:24 PM
Who knows if Isringhausen has anything in the tank, but if he indeed signs, the potential of the back end of the bullpen for the rest of the year will look a little brighter. His age doesn't concern me, its just a matter of if he can pitch with a little less velocity.

What would get interesting is if Dusty would start using Isringhausen instead of Cordero if he starts dealing.

11larkin11
07-21-2010, 05:29 PM
Masset's last two appearances were in the 7th. I think we'll see something like this

7th-Bray/Masset--Ondrusek could replace Masset if he needs rest
8th-Rhodes/Izzy
9th-Coco

reds44
07-21-2010, 05:35 PM
Masset's last two appearances were in the 7th. I think we'll see something like this

7th-Bray/Masset--Ondrusek could replace Masset if he needs rest
8th-Rhodes/Izzy
9th-Coco
I don't think it's always going to locked in innings. If Izzy can pitch well, it'll be nice ot have more than 3 reliable relievers (and Masset and Coco aren't exactly lights out).

Izzy also could provide insurance for Cordero in case he can't pitch for whatever reason.

redsmetz
07-21-2010, 05:37 PM
Who knows if Isringhausen has anything in the tank, but if he indeed signs, the potential of the back end of the bullpen for the rest of the year will look a little brighter. His age doesn't concern me, its just a matter of if he can pitch with a little less velocity.

What would get interesting is if Dusty would start using Isringhausen instead of Cordero if he starts dealing.

Or to even just spell him from time to time. It certainly gives another option of someone who has done this before.

The paper noted that Izzy had his TJ surgery the same age as Arthur Rhodes. Lets hope he's as sharp as Arthur.

reds44
07-21-2010, 05:38 PM
How hard was Izzy throwing before his arm fell off last year? Are we talking Weathers 88-90 or can he get it into the 90s?

GAC
07-22-2010, 06:25 AM
Really? I must've missed that part of the interview.

It was a game-time interview given when Walt visited the TV booth and they asked Walt about any updates on the Dunn situation. I listened to Walt say he wanted to resign Dunn because you just can't replace a player of his caliber, and if they let him walk they just have to go out and find another "Dunn". Less then 2 months later he was in a D'Back's uniform.

OesterPoster
07-22-2010, 12:17 PM
Official:

m_sheldon

#reds agree to terms with Isringhausen. He will report to AAA Louisville. http://bit.ly/aqCKLS

OesterPoster
07-22-2010, 12:20 PM
How hard was Izzy throwing before his arm fell off last year? Are we talking Weathers 88-90 or can he get it into the 90s?

According to fangraphs' pitchfx, his fastball velocity was:

07: 92.1
08: 91.7
09: 91.1

So maybe he gets a slight bump up after TJ surgery?

Reds Fanatic
07-22-2010, 12:40 PM
Fay's twitter says he is at least a couple weeks away from being ready

Reds Fanatic
07-22-2010, 01:05 PM
The Reds sandbagged it a bit when talking about Jason Isringhausen after his throwing session.

“He was really good,” Walt Jocketty said. “I didn’t want to say too much (Tuesday) to tip off other clubs.”

Dusty Baker said he deliberately downplayed it as well.

“He threw very good,” Baker said. “I was very pleasantly surprised.”

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/2010/07/22/more-on-isringhausen/

camisadelgolf
07-22-2010, 02:20 PM
If Isringhausen has a big year, it'd be interesting to see him brought back next season if CoCo could be traded in the off-season. That payroll flex would go a long way. It's a pipe dream for sure, but a man can dream.

lollipopcurve
07-22-2010, 02:50 PM
I'd be interested to know what the contract says about 2011, if anything.

steig
07-22-2010, 09:43 PM
I like this signing for 2010, I hope there is only a club option for 2011 or no terms for 2011.

Falls City Beer
07-22-2010, 09:46 PM
In order to sign here, you know they gave him guaranteed money for 2011.

The Voice of IH
07-22-2010, 09:47 PM
I really like this signing, but he probably won't be on the big league roster until September, baring injury or someone completely collapsing in mid to late August.

edabbs44
07-22-2010, 10:24 PM

But not guaranteed in 2010?

MartyFan
07-22-2010, 11:47 PM
If Isringhausen has a big year, it'd be interesting to see him brought back next season if CoCo could be traded in the off-season. That payroll flex would go a long way. It's a pipe dream for sure, but a man can dream.

The Reds would undoubtedly have to EAT the majority of anything they are slated to pay CoCo...when the team signed him I remember thinking...this guy doesn't scare anybody and I am right...he doesn't because every team knows when he is on the mound e is not going to just come in and shut them down...worst contract Special K ever wrote and allowed a player to sign.

camisadelgolf
07-23-2010, 01:09 AM
The Reds would undoubtedly have to EAT the majority of anything they are slated to pay CoCo...when the team signed him I remember thinking...this guy doesn't scare anybody and I am right...he doesn't because every team knows when he is on the mound e is not going to just come in and shut them down...worst contract Special K ever wrote and allowed a player to sign.
It was undoubtedly a contract that overpaid a good-but-not-elite reliever, but the bullpen would've been in complete shambles for the majority of his tenure if not for him. I'm not saying the Reds should've offered him that kind of money, but if it's the worst contract WayK ever gave out, it's not all that bad.

Blitz Dorsey
07-23-2010, 01:12 AM
My name is Blitz Dorsey and I approve this signing.

(Sorry for the bad joke. No one needs my approval. I do like this move though -- minimal risk, somewhat chance of a decent reward.)

REDREAD
07-23-2010, 01:17 AM

Maybe so.. I know you are just stating what you think, not complaining.

If Issy ends up being next year's Mike Lincoln (too hurt to pitch), it's a risk worth taking. We might have a quality pen arm we desperately needed to add without giving up anything but money.

Blitz Dorsey
07-23-2010, 01:27 AM
Why is Walt so into signing players from his St. Louis days? It's not like they ever won anything when he was there.

Oh, never mind. ;-)

Captain Hook
07-23-2010, 01:58 AM
Why is Walt so into signing players from his St. Louis days? It's not like they ever won anything when he was there.

Oh, never mind. ;-)

I'd much rather be a Reds fan complaining about getting ex Cards opposed to being a Nat's fan complaining about getting ex Reds.;)

Blitz Dorsey
07-23-2010, 10:48 AM
I'd much rather be a Reds fan complaining about getting ex Cards opposed to being a Nat's fan complaining about getting ex Reds.;)

Ha, no question about it.

klw
07-23-2010, 01:31 PM
Or a fan of any team getting ex-Cubs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ex-Cubs_Factor

Will M
07-24-2010, 02:03 AM
http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20100723&content_id=12549556&notebook_id=12551232&vkey=notebook_cin&fext=.jsp&c_id=cin

I suspect by 'reliever' Walt wants a true 8th/9th inning guy. We have an improved middle relief & potential in house additions (Chapman, Izzy, Springer,etc). No need to give up talent for yet another middle innings guy.

mth123
08-14-2010, 03:33 PM
Last night Izzy:

1 IP, 2H, 1BB, 1HR and 3ER.

So far in 7 aapearances:

5.2 IP, 4H, 7BB, 5K, 2HR, and 6ER. He's giving up more fly balls than GB and while the sample is real small, August is half over and it won't get real big. The 40 man is full. Izzy is going to need to string together some good outings to be added before Sept 1.

Who goes if Izzy gets added?

Ron Madden
08-14-2010, 03:39 PM
I'm not rooting against him but I kinda hope Isringhausen flames out in Louisville and doesn't get the chance to fail in a Reds uniform.

Always Red
08-14-2010, 07:31 PM
I'm not rooting against him but I kinda hope Isringhausen flames out in Louisville and doesn't get the chance to fail in a Reds uniform.

Me too.

There are already two better relievers (at least) than him in Louisville- Chapman and Burton.

traderumor
08-15-2010, 01:17 AM
I would rather see Isringhausen get a chance than watch Burton's tired old nibbling act again.

MattyHo4Life
08-15-2010, 01:27 AM
I would rather see Isringhausen get a chance than watch Burton's tired old nibbling act again.

I hope Izzy gets a chance soon. :)

traderumor
08-15-2010, 01:32 AM
I hope Izzy gets a chance soon. :)

Is that sarcastic or wishing him well?

I am not putting much stock in what happens at AAA with numbers since he is essentially going through spring training. I am looking for him to help out as a 7th or 8th inning bridge, in situations like tonight where Arthur or Massett gets pulled early.

The Operator
08-15-2010, 01:34 AM
Didn't Isringhausen get removed as The Cards' closer late in the 2006 season? I know I remember Wainwright closing out quite a few of those games. I just can't remember if it was performance or an injury that led to Wainwright being the closer down the stretch and in the postseason for StL. I do know Izzy blew 10 saves in '06.

Watching Cordero tonight scared me to death. I hope The Reds will have sense enough to do something about that situation if it gets worse. There are many guys I'd rather see pitching the final inning of a ballgame these days.

MattyHo4Life
08-15-2010, 01:37 AM
Is that sarcastic or wishing him well?

I am not putting much stock in what happens at AAA with numbers since he is essentially going through spring training. I am looking for him to help out as a 7th or 8th inning bridge, in situations like tonight where Arthur or Massett gets pulled early.

A little bit of both. I like Izzy a lot, and I would love to see him do well. Unfortunately, I don't expect him to do well. He didn't do so well as the Cards closer in his later years.

MattyHo4Life
08-15-2010, 01:39 AM
Watching Cordero tonight scared me to death. I hope The Reds will have sense enough to do something about that situation if it gets worse. There are many guys I'd rather see pitching the final inning of a ballgame these days.

Wait...would Izzy be the closer??? I thought he would be a middle relief type guy. Would the Reds really use him as a closer again?

traderumor
08-15-2010, 01:46 AM
Wait...would Izzy be the closer??? I thought he would be a middle relief type guy. Would the Reds really use him as a closer again?I don't think anyone paying attention thinks that. I see him as another power pitcher to help get 1-3 outs in the late innings of a close game.

VR
08-15-2010, 01:50 AM
There isn't any possible scenario that I would want Izzy on the ML roster.

I was always excited to see Izzy pitch against the Reds his last 3 years...and that was, 3 years ago? Ondrusek, Smith and Masset have pitches with an combined ERA around 1.50 for the better part of two + months. Carlos Fisher has been pitching well.

Micah Owings as a closer would be preferred.

MattyHo4Life
08-15-2010, 01:51 AM
Didn't Isringhausen get removed as The Cards' closer late in the 2006 season? I know I remember Wainwright closing out quite a few of those games. I just can't remember if it was performance or an injury that led to Wainwright being the closer down the stretch and in the postseason for StL. I do know Izzy blew 10 saves in '06.

I think he had some injury in September...I don't remember what it was though. Wainwright was in the bullpen due to an injury as well.

The Operator
08-15-2010, 01:53 AM
Wait...would Izzy be the closer??? I thought he would be a middle relief type guy. Would the Reds really use him as a closer again?

I don't think he'd be the closer. I was just drawing some similarities to the end of Izzy's tenure in StL and Cordero's current struggles.

MattyHo4Life
08-15-2010, 01:53 AM
I was always excited to see Izzy pitch against the Reds his last 3 years.

That's how I felt about Danny Graves. I loved it when the Reds put him in against the Cards. lol

Izzy always made me nervous. Even when he earned a save...it seemed like he loaded the bases.

MattyHo4Life
08-15-2010, 01:55 AM
I don't think he'd be the closer. I was just drawing some similarities to the end of Izzy's tenure in StL and Cordero's current struggles.

Ohhhh...well, Izzy lost his job as the closer in 2008 to Ryan Franklin.

dsmith421
08-15-2010, 01:57 AM
That's how I felt about Danny Graves. I loved it when the Reds put him in against the Cards. lol

It's funny. We got Ryan Franklin right after he was suspended for being a steroid cheat. And he blew several huge games (including at least one against the Cards) in 2006. And then later, Franklin goes to a team managed by Tony LaRussa and is all of a sudden lights-out. What an amazing coincidence. I'm sure there is absolutely nothing untoward going on, given Tony's history of strictly regulating the use of performance-enhancing drugs in his clubhouse.

The Operator
08-15-2010, 01:58 AM
All I know is if Ryan Franklin is on PEDs - I can't imagine how pedestrian his stuff would be if he were clean. I have no idea how he's made it as a closer.

gm
08-15-2010, 02:48 AM
Even when he earned a save...it seemed like he loaded the bases.

We got one of those, too. He's well paid but his nickname should only be "Co"
'cause he's like drinking a mocha without the coffee kicker

WebScorpion
08-15-2010, 04:18 AM
I really don't look forward to seeing Izzy at the ML level...I don't think he has much left. I'm hoping our closer for the playoffs speaks Cuban. ;)

The Operator
08-15-2010, 04:27 AM
I'm hoping our closer for the playoffs speaks Cuban. ;)

Didn't know "Cuban" was a language. :p:

If he could throw strikes and handle the pressure though, Chapman sure has the stuff to be a closer down the stretch. Imagine bringing him in to sit down the Cardinals in the 9th with some 103 MPH heat. Yowza.

Phhhl
08-15-2010, 05:07 AM
We have to do something. The likelihood of CoCo being a postseason hero is starting to look remote. There are multiple options for the late innings that look better... Masset, Rhodes, Ondrusek or Chapman. I love and respect the guy, and I think Dusty has overused him more than enough to explain this dilemna. But, we are talking about a seminal franchise that has not experienced the playoffs in 15 years! We cannot afford a guy toying with 30 pitches an inning to nail down three outs with a three run lead. At this point... the amount of money a guy makes, his experience and 50 cents gets you a cup of coffee. You go with your best option to nail down wins!

I realize that is not cut and dry and the powers that be deal with these players on a personal basis. But, it is time to be clinical about this operation otherwise known as the 2010 Cincinnati Reds MLB Baseball Season. Cordero is going to blow some critical games unless some trust is shown in the rest of the bullpen the rest of the way.

sabometrics
08-15-2010, 05:37 AM
Put me in the boat of people who are not excited about the possibility of Izzy completing his comeback as a Red. I wasn't that stoked about Springer either before he came up, and that's with him having pitched as recently as last September. Izzy hasn't seen MLB level talent in almost 15 months now and the odds of him coming back and getting to a point where he can contribute to this time are astronomical in my opinion. All things considered he most likely would do more harm than help.

traderumor
08-15-2010, 08:43 AM
My thought is Isringhausen mirrors Rhodes with late career blossom after TJ surgery. That is why you might take a chance there.

VR
08-15-2010, 04:18 PM
nm

sabometrics
08-16-2010, 05:47 AM
My thought is Isringhausen mirrors Rhodes with late career blossom after TJ surgery. That is why you might take a chance there.

You don't get that lucky more than once in a season. Maybe Isringhausen gets back to that form next year, but I don't see it happening in the last month of 2010.

traderumor
08-16-2010, 08:54 AM
You don't get that lucky more than once in a season. Maybe Isringhausen gets back to that form next year, but I don't see it happening in the last month of 2010.

Rhodes has been doing it for two years--at 39 and 40. Luck or "this seemed to work, lets see if we are on to something here?"

sabometrics
08-16-2010, 01:39 PM
The exception does not prove the rule. You aren't "on to something" when you're seeking out all the near 40-year-olds who have had arm surgery, you're just throwing them a bone with a minor league contract that can't really hurt you. And if they perform well then great, but not every 39-40 yr old is going to make the comeback. We all want to believe Isringhausen can be a contributor but I just don't see it happening.

traderumor
08-16-2010, 01:45 PM
The exception does not prove the rule. You aren't "on to something" when you're seeking out all the near 40-year-olds who have had arm surgery, you're just throwing them a bone with a minor league contract that can't really hurt you. And if they perform well then great, but not every 39-40 yr old is going to make the comeback. We all want to believe Isringhausen can be a contributor but I just don't see it happening.Nor was I trying to prove a rule. The Reds are not seeking out all the near 40 year old who have had arm surgery. But there is some anecdotal evidence that post TJers are coming back strong and are good candidates to take a flyer on. Add one with a considerable body of work as a successful reliever and its a move that makes sense.

sabometrics
08-16-2010, 01:56 PM
Of course it's fine to give him a minor league deal but unless he actually performs I don't want to see him up. A lot of people seem to already have Isringhausen penciled in as a for sure call-up. He hasn't come close to looking like a reliable option in his three weeks with the Bats.

traderumor
08-16-2010, 02:01 PM
Of course it's fine to give him a minor league deal but unless he actually performs I don't want to see him up. A lot of people seem to already have Isringhausen penciled in as a for sure call-up. He hasn't come close to looking like a reliable option in his three weeks with the Bats.The only thing he has to do at AAA is get his game on. Watching his numbers and making any conclusions from that is not going to work in this situation. This is going to be a scouting reports and how he is trending call. He is in spring training.

OnBaseMachine
01-29-2011, 12:57 PM
Update from John Fay:

Isringhausen will throw Monday in Arizona. #Reds will decide whether to sign him after the session.

http://twitter.com/johnfayman

redsfandan
01-29-2011, 12:59 PM
Update from John Fay:

Isringhausen will throw Monday in Arizona. #Reds will decide whether to sign him after the session.

http://twitter.com/johnfayman

Completely forgot about him.

membengal
01-29-2011, 01:09 PM
Reds pen is beyond full up. With guys better than izzy. Hope this is simply the reds being courteous.

VR
01-29-2011, 01:10 PM
Reds pen is beyond full up. With guys better than izzy. Hope this is simply the reds being courteous.

Same problem for the last 10 years :)

westofyou
01-29-2011, 01:22 PM

Sign him and trade him to the Pirates, they are in need of BP help.

Maybe they can get some pirogies.

WebScorpion
01-29-2011, 03:06 PM
I have no problem with a minor league contract. It might be nice to have an experienced reliever to teach the bullpen in Louisville a few things and to be available in case of emergency in Cincinnati. :dunno:

Griffey012
01-29-2011, 03:19 PM
I have no problem with a minor league contract. It might be nice to have an experienced reliever to teach the bullpen in Louisville a few things and to be available in case of emergency in Cincinnati. :dunno:

Agreed. Extra depth and veteran presence is never a bad thing.

HokieRed
01-29-2011, 03:52 PM

Whether they're better than Izzy is dependent on how well Izzy is throwing. Personally I hope he's throwing very well and we sign him.

membengal
01-29-2011, 04:33 PM
Whether they're better than Izzy is dependent on how well Izzy is throwing. Personally I hope he's throwing very well and we sign him.

mth has posted the depth at the bullpen several times, but I can't find the thread where he did it. From looking at that list when mth posted it, I have a really hard time believing that whatever Isringhausen has left in the tank is remotely close to what the Reds have in line ahead of him at this point. Again, it's not exactly 2006 around here anymore...

HokieRed
01-29-2011, 05:49 PM
mth has posted the depth at the bullpen several times, but I can't find the thread where he did it. From looking at that list when mth posted it, I have a really hard time believing that whatever Isringhausen has left in the tank is remotely close to what the Reds have in line ahead of him at this point. Again, it's not exactly 2006 around here anymore...

All I'm saying is I want to see what he's got left in the tank. Speaking of worrying about who's got what left in the tank, I think our first concern should be our own so-called closer.

membengal
01-29-2011, 05:53 PM
All I'm saying is I want to see what he's got left in the tank. Speaking of worrying about who's got what left in the tank, I think our first concern should be our own so-called closer.

Frankly, I am less concerned about Cordero with Chapman and Massett on hand. And I surely don't consider the corpse of Isringhausen insurance against Cordero's potential demise.

KronoRed
01-29-2011, 06:17 PM
Not so neat, bullpen fodder.

Caveat Emperor
01-29-2011, 07:00 PM
Anyone who can throw strikes and retire hitters is welcome to come to Spring Training and compete for a job, IMO.

RED VAN HOT
01-29-2011, 09:08 PM
Anyone who can throw strikes and retire hitters is welcome to come to Spring Training and compete for a job, IMO.

Agree. Permitting him to try out may not amount to more than a courtesy to a veteran ball player who chose to sign with the Reds last season. Why not?

deltachi8
01-30-2011, 01:32 AM
mmmmm pirogies...

but I would ask that they throw in a primanti bros for good measure

Mario-Rijo
01-30-2011, 09:17 AM
mmmmm pirogies...

but I would ask that they throw in a primanti bros for good measure

With or without Slaw?

Raisor
01-30-2011, 10:10 AM
Jeff Shaw still wants to pitch

Ron Madden
01-30-2011, 11:59 AM
Well at least Russ Springer retired.

Big Klu
01-30-2011, 02:01 PM
With or without Slaw?

A Primanti Bros. sandwich without slaw?! Blasphemy!

WebScorpion
01-30-2011, 03:56 PM
And I surely don't consider the corpse of Isringhausen insurance against Cordero's potential demise.

That was funny! http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-laughing015.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php) Dead at the ripe old age of 38... what a shame. ;)

remdog
01-30-2011, 05:17 PM
That's p-i-e-r-o-g-i-e-s and I make my own from a reciepe that my grandmother brought with her from Kiev. Better than anything you can find in Pittsburgh. :)

Rem

WVRedsFan
01-30-2011, 06:24 PM
A Primanti Bros. sandwich without slaw?! Blasphemy!Totally agree. Gotta have slaw. As as for remdog saying his pierogies are better than antyhing you can get in Pittsburgh, I would disagree. Why? My wife's from Pittsburgh (but her pierogies suck--go figure).

westofyou
01-30-2011, 07:44 PM
Kiev eh?

We have a Ukranian church that sells them on Saturdays... tasty... but pricey for something wrapped in a noodle. But if you're willing to share said recipe I'm all ears.

Ron Madden
02-01-2011, 04:31 AM
Walt says Isringhausen looked good Monday but Not sure the Reds sign him.

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/

redsfandan
02-01-2011, 06:42 AM
That's p-i-e-r-o-g-i-e-s and I make my own from a reciepe that my grandmother brought with her from Kiev. Better than anything you can find in Pittsburgh. :)

Rem

Do you deliver? ;)

OnBaseMachine
02-15-2011, 10:20 PM
He signed with the Mets per Jon Heyman.

#mets sign isringhausen to minor league deal with big league camp invite. #notkidding

http://twitter.com/SI_JonHeyman

Spitball
02-15-2011, 11:43 PM
He signed with the Mets per Jon Heyman.

#mets sign isringhausen to minor league deal with big league camp invite. #notkidding

http://twitter.com/SI_JonHeyman

The sandwich discussion was more interesting. :)