PDA

View Full Version : Pettitte out 4-5 weeks. Yanks looking for pitching?

GoReds
07-19-2010, 11:40 AM
I like the fact that the Reds have excess starting pitching, even if there is no clear ace (Volquez TBD). I hate that I want to get rid of Harang considering what he has meant to the team the last few years, but would you trade Harang to the Yankees for a mid-level prospect, provided the Yankees pick up the remaining tab?

redsmetz
07-19-2010, 11:52 AM
I like the fact that the Reds have excess starting pitching, even if there is no clear ace (Volquez TBD). I hate that I want to get rid of Harang considering what he has meant to the team the last few years, but would you trade Harang to the Yankees for a mid-level prospect, provided the Yankees pick up the remaining tab?

If we're talking a "mid-level prospect," I'd hope for more from Harang, and with the Yankees, us not eating a lot of his salary, if any. I know that's not the popular belief, but I'd hope for one or two mid-level prospects. But I think Harang would be a good fit for them. And it help with the logjam.

Scrap Irony
07-19-2010, 04:08 PM
Harang and Maloney for C Austin Romine or P Noesi.

Romine profiles as a good defensive catcher with offensive tools, while Noesi doesn't walk anyone and K's a ton (but is a long way away). Or they could always grab Montero, who the Yanks might not trust to catch at all. (And they have a 1B in his prime not likely to move for a prospect.)

nemesis
07-19-2010, 04:32 PM

Romine profiles as a good defensive catcher with offensive tools, while Noesi doesn't walk anyone and K's a ton (but is a long way away). Or they could always grab Montero, who the Yanks might not trust to catch at all. (And they have a 1B in his prime not likely to move for a prospect.)

Double Post... Sorry.

nemesis
07-19-2010, 04:33 PM

They might give up Montero if we give them Alonso in a package with Harang. Alonso is ARod's good good buddy and a good candidate for DH.

I could see them giving up Noesi for Harang. That is a Yankee like trade.

Spitball
07-19-2010, 05:13 PM

While in Portland, Maine, earlier this year, I saw Romine playing for Trenton against the Sea Dogs. His defensive mechanics were awful. The Thunder brought in a hard throwing right hander with the runners in scoring position. Every one of the guy's first three or four pitches were breaking sharply to Romine's right, and he never once shifted his body to catch them. He reached and backhanded them. The four or fifth pitch went under his glove and to the backstop allowing the tying run to score. I watch a lot of baseball and can't recall a catcher ever employ a backhand grab at such pitches. For me, he is just another overhyped Yankee prospect.

As for Harang to the Yankees, I'd be surprised if they'd settle for a pitcher of Harang's ilk. I suspect they might be interested but only after exhausting efforts for Oswalt or maybe Haren. Really, they may be the only team capable of taking on the $25 million owed Oswalt plus his option.

alexad
07-19-2010, 05:16 PM
We always get the screws put to us when we deal with the Yankees. I will pass..

Chip R
07-19-2010, 07:04 PM
We always get the screws put to us when we deal with the Yankees. I will pass..

For example...?

Brutus
07-19-2010, 07:06 PM
They might give up Montero if we give them Alonso in a package with Harang. Alonso is ARod's good good buddy and a good candidate for DH.

I could see them giving up Noesi for Harang. That is a Yankee like trade.

I want what you're having.

Montero for Alonso and Harang? No chance!

Falls City Beer
07-19-2010, 07:28 PM
The Yankees don't need pitching.

camisadelgolf
07-19-2010, 07:42 PM
The Yankees don't need pitching.
True, but the Yankees have been known to throw money at situations, regardless of it actually helping the team or not.

Spitball
07-19-2010, 08:32 PM
For example...?

Off the top of my head:

Roberto Kelly for Paul O'Neill.

Drew Henson, Jackson Melian, Brian Reith, and Ed Yarnell for Denny Neagle and Mike Frank.

Brandon Claussen for Aaron Boone and Gabe White.

__________________________________________________ _______________
Returns on Roberto Kelly eventually turned into Sean Casey.

Returns on Denny Neagle and Mike Frank eventually turned into Bronson Arroyo.

Returns on Brandon Claussen have not turned into anything that I can remember.

Benihana
07-19-2010, 08:38 PM
Off the top of my head:

Drew Henson, Jackson Melian, Brian Reith, and Ed Yarnell for Denny Neagle and Mike Frank.

Don't forget Hal Morris for my main man Van Snider!

Chip R
07-19-2010, 08:41 PM
Off the top of my head:

I'll give you Kelly for O'Neill but that was almost 20 years ago.

Neagle and Frank didn't turn into anything special for NY.

Except for that pennant winning HR, Boone didn't turn into anything special for NY.

Bottom line is I'm going to deal with any team that can help me out. I'm not going to worry about a trade that went bad 20 years ago.

camisadelgolf
07-19-2010, 08:41 PM
For example...?
Jerry Hairston for Chase Weems!

Spitball
07-19-2010, 10:24 PM
I'll give you Kelly for O'Neill but that was almost 20 years ago.

Neagle and Frank didn't turn into anything special for NY.

Except for that pennant winning HR, Boone didn't turn into anything special for NY.

Drew Henson, Wily Mo Pena, Jackson Melian, Brian Reith, Ed Yarnell, and Brandon Claussen all concern me because I feel the Yankee prospects tend to be over-hyped because of the New York press. I saw the Trenton Thunder one time this season and was totally unimpressed with Austin Romine who is one of their top prospects. His mechanics behind the plate were unbelieveable that night. I doubt he will progress to the point where he will be able to play the position at the major league level because he has so far to go.

Bottom line is I'm going to deal with any team that can help me out. I'm not going to worry about a trade that went bad 20 years ago

If the Yankees offered the Reds a player who could help them reach the post season this year more than Harang could, they should trade with them. If the Reds had a Roy Oswalt to offer, I could see it happening. With Aaron Harang, I doubt their efforts would be that desperate.

Chip R
07-19-2010, 10:30 PM
Drew Henson, Wily Mo Pena, Jackson Melian, Brian Reith, Ed Yarnell, and Brandon Claussen all concern me because I feel the Yankee prospects tend to be over-hyped because of the New York press. I saw the Trenton Thunder one time this season and was totally unimpressed with Austin Romine who is one of their top prospects. His mechanics behind the plate were unbelieveable that night. I doubt he will progress to the point where he will be able to play the position at the major league level because he has so far to go.

If the Yankees offered the Reds a player who could help them reach the post season this year more than Harang could, they should trade with them. If the Reds had a Roy Oswalt to offer, I could see it happening. With Aaron Harang, I doubt their efforts would be that desperate.

I don't know if Yankee prospects are any good or not. I agree that they are overhyped but that's not unusual. I'm not saying the Reds should trade Harang for a bag of balls but if they did, it would save them his pro-rated salary for this season and his buyout for next season. So, if you trade him for a prospect who may be able to help in the future, it's not a bad idea even if the kid flames out. But I don't think the Yankees are that desperate.

Spitball
07-19-2010, 10:48 PM
...I'm not saying the Reds should trade Harang for a bag of balls but if they did, it would save them his pro-rated salary for this season and his buyout for next season. So, if you trade him for a prospect who may be able to help in the future, it's not a bad idea even if the kid flames out...

I hear what you are saying, but I want the Reds to forget about things like Harang's pro-rated salary right now. That seems too much like the mindset of the team for the last ten years when they where constantly in the rebuilding/save money mode. Now, I would like to see them focus on now and the post season.

If there are any guarantees that the starting rotation stays healthy and effective, then consider trading Harang. If not, keep the pitching depth.

REDblooded
07-19-2010, 11:21 PM
I would gladly ship harang and his contract to the yankees + Boxberger for Betances...

Chip R
07-19-2010, 11:34 PM
I hear what you are saying, but I want the Reds to forget about things like Harang's pro-rated salary right now. That seems too much like the mindset of the team for the last ten years when they where constantly in the rebuilding/save money mode. Now, I would like to see them focus on now and the post season.

If there are any guarantees that the starting rotation stays healthy and effective, then consider trading Harang. If not, keep the pitching depth.

I understand. I'm not necessarily wanting to dump guys here. It's not like I'm wanting to send Leake down to the minors to delay his arbitration. If we didn't have the pitching depth we do, I wouldn't consider it. But we're not the Yankees and we're always going to be concerned about money.

If I'm Walt, I'm definitely going to listen to offers for Harang - if there are any. That's the point of having pitching depth.

OldXOhio
07-20-2010, 11:33 AM

Feel good about the fact that we're talking about the best team in baseball here. Not like we'd be shipping him out to an also ran. I too like Harang and would be glad to see him get a shot at the postseason, even if not with the Reds.

REDREAD
07-20-2010, 04:51 PM
For example...?

Neagle trade. None of the four original players we got back ever amounted to anything.

O'neill trade.

Although we did win the Hal Morris trade :)

Those are the only high profile trades I can think of right now.