PDA

View Full Version : Bailey would move accept move to pen

texasdave
07-19-2010, 05:40 PM
From FayBlog: http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/

Bailey has never relieved – except under the piggy-back system used in the minors one year – but he’s willing.

“Whatever they want me to do,” he said. “You’ve got to learn to make adjustments. I’ll do whatever they want me to.”

BuckWild03
07-19-2010, 05:42 PM
I'm starting to doubt Homer's potential as a starter but I sincerely think he would be awesome in the pen.

TheBigLebowski
07-19-2010, 05:44 PM
I still firmly believe Homer will make an excellent starter but he may have to pitch out of the pen some this year with his injury and this sudden wealth of quality starters we have.

blark11
07-19-2010, 05:45 PM
I know there has been talk from some on here about Homer being able to develop into a closer or at least a durable reliever. I say at this point that may be the best we can hope for with him. I'm glad to see that he is at least open to trying. With the depth of starting pitching the team is starting to put together this may be his last chance at staying with the organization. I think Homer has really turned some of his attitude/immaturity problems around and would love to see him figure it out.

blark11
07-19-2010, 05:46 PM
I remember hearing in the past that Homer had trouble warming up quickly. Is there any truth to this?

brm7675
07-19-2010, 05:47 PM
From FayBlog: http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/

I will believe it when I see it...;)

texasdave
07-19-2010, 05:51 PM
The Third Golden Rule of Bakermetrics: “There’s nothing more valuable than experience,” Baker said. In simple terms - 'Crustiness is next to Godliness'.

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/

Kingspoint
07-19-2010, 05:53 PM
Nice to hear him say that.

Now, if we could only hear those words from Harang.

texasdave
07-19-2010, 05:53 PM
Don't shoot me I'm just the messenger. Having said that, given the choice between starting in Louisville and relieving in the middle of a pennant race, which would you choose?

GIDP
07-19-2010, 05:55 PM
given the current rotation options Bailey seems the like the one that would work out of the pen more than all the others.

Kingspoint
07-19-2010, 05:55 PM
Don't shoot me I'm just the messenger. Having said that, given the choice between starting in Louisville and relieving in the middle of a pennant race, which would you choose?

That's a tough call.

I'd wait to see who "fails" post All-Star break, and see if a demotion is in order for one of the Relievers. If not, I'd put Homer in AAA.

GIDP
07-19-2010, 05:57 PM

Harang is basically a free agent to be. We wish he would go easily into the pen, but you gotta remember this guy is trying to have a career. A little selfishness isnt always bad. Homer on the other hand really doesnt get much out of saying no.

brm7675
07-19-2010, 06:18 PM
My issue is Bailey is having arm issues and moving him to the pen to me only compounds that problem. He needs to heal and be used as trade bait as a Starting pitcher, not bullpen.

scott91575
07-19-2010, 06:41 PM

He won't be starting in Louisville. He is out of options.

It really comes down to saying he is ok with being in the bullpen or acting like a selfish idiot and saying he doesn't want to be in the bullpen.

Starting or relieving, Homer is in the majors for the rest of the year.

Griffey012
07-19-2010, 09:34 PM

I agree, I actually think it could be a move that propels Homer's career forward. Have a dominant run as a reliever during a pennant chase would do wonders for his confidence.

Griffey012
07-19-2010, 09:36 PM
double post

davereds24
07-19-2010, 10:03 PM
He won't be starting in Louisville. He is out of options.

It really comes down to saying he is ok with being in the bullpen or acting like a selfish idiot and saying he doesn't want to be in the bullpen.

Starting or relieving, Homer is in the majors for the rest of the year.

They could easily keep him in the minors on rehab until sept callups if they wanted.

Kingspoint
07-19-2010, 11:06 PM
I agree, I actually think it could be a move that propels Homer's career forward. Have a dominant run as a reliever during a pennant chase would do wonders for his confidence.

It would certainly add to the development of his career.

sabometrics
07-20-2010, 12:38 AM
They could easily keep him in the minors on rehab until sept callups if they wanted.

They can't keep him on a rehab assignment for more than 30 days. If his simulated start goes well then he'll probably make his first rehab start on the 25th/26th. That means the longest he can stay down there is until mid August. He is out of options so he will have to come up or we lose him for nothing.

I figure they'll give him 2 or 3 starts on rehab and continue to monitor how the rotation is shaping up. If there are five guys up who look like their positions are solidified then they'll put him in the pen for a week or two then bring him up after that.

Old NDN
07-20-2010, 10:01 AM
Nice of Homer to realize he won't fit in this rotation. I think he realizes his only chance of staying on the big league club is to compete with Masset, Owings, Smith, etc. for a middle relief role. Now he may have Springer, and maybe Isringhousen, to contend with also.

redsfanmia
07-20-2010, 11:27 AM
I think Homer could be a dominate set up man, but he seems to struggle out of the gate I think he would have to change his mindset.

DocRed
07-20-2010, 12:19 PM
I don't think Bailey has a choice IMO. It's either the pen or the minors...not sure if he has the option for that though even, prol not.

brm7675
07-20-2010, 12:23 PM
I don't think Bailey has a choice IMO. It's either the pen or the minors...not sure if he has the option for that though even, prol not.

I just question if he can transition this season to that roll. Given Leake's upcoming shut down in a month or so, I see Homer trying to fill that gap first. I personally think Harang would transition better, but not sure if the Reds would do that to Harang.