PDA

View Full Version : This is our lineup tonight?

brm7675
07-20-2010, 03:49 PM
We are in a playoff hunt, so what does our manager come up with for tonight's lineup?

Orlando - SS
Janish - 2nd
Votto - First
Gomes - LF
Bruce - RF
Cairo - 3rd
Stubbs - CF
Corkey - C
Leake - P

I mean really, Rolen is out hurt so you are also going to pull Brandon and Hanigan and on top of that you are going to leadoff with Orlando, followed by Janish? OMG, if it was so sad it might just be funny:thumbdown:thumbdown

ILoveWilly
07-20-2010, 03:57 PM
I really hope this isn't serious.

bshall2105
07-20-2010, 03:58 PM
I would just throw Stubbs into the leadoff position tonight just to try it out.

NeilHamburger
07-20-2010, 04:03 PM
Brandon never asks off, and always fights to stay in. Don't be surprised if it comes out he is really hurting in some way. And if it's the hamstring again, that's big trouble. Like season ending type of trouble for this team.

brm7675
07-20-2010, 04:03 PM
I really hope this isn't serious.

Nope this is the lineup for tonight. I have the following questions:

1. Why is phillips out? We are just coming off the ASB, so unless he is hurt why is he out? If he is hurt, we have HUGE issues to deal with then.

2. Why is Orlando and Janish 1-2? I mean really having just one of them up there is bad enough, but both?

3. Why is Miller playing tonight? I mean really another non bat in the lineup?

4. What did Mike Leake do to deserve this abuse?

Redlegs_87
07-20-2010, 04:06 PM
Dang everyone banging on the panic button because Phillips has a day off. Everyone back away from the edge.

brm7675
07-20-2010, 04:06 PM
Brandon never asks off, and always fights to stay in. Don't be surprised if it comes out he is really hurting in some way. And if it's the hamstring again, that's big trouble. Like season ending type of trouble for this team.

Gee hate to say i told you so, but if it is that, I was here back then screaming for the Reds to DL him then to let it heal, but people were like, "Oh no it's not a big deal", well lets just see....

muddie
07-20-2010, 04:07 PM
Could Dusty simply be trying to shake something loose on the offense?

brm7675
Dang everyone banging on the panic button because Phillips has a day off. Everyone back away from the edge.

He just had 4 days off, why does he need a day off now, especially with Rolen down? So you are now asking for Votto/Gomes to carry the offense, yep good managing there...:thumbdown

BigPoppa
sky = falling

geesh.................................whill you guys come in from the ledge if the Reds win tonight ?

the only thing that concerns me is if BP is hurt. If he just wants a day off, what better team than the Nats ?

brm7675
07-20-2010, 04:08 PM

We scored 7 last night, how does putting two of your poorer hitters in teh 1-2 spot, along with you bad hitting catcher in the lineup 'shake" something up?

scott91575
07-20-2010, 04:08 PM

Geez. Really? Jump to depressing conclusions much?

Redlegs_87
07-20-2010, 04:09 PM
We scored 7 last night, how does putting two of your poorer hitters in teh 1-2 spot, along with you bad hitting catcher in the lineup 'shake" something up?

Phillips has been in a slump as of late. Maybe take him out one game and work on some stuff.

brm7675
07-20-2010, 04:09 PM
sky = falling

geesh.................................whill you guys come in from the ledge if the Reds win tonight ?

the only thing that concerns me is if BP is hurt. If he just wants a day off, what better team than the Nats ?

A) Because each game matters
B) Players don't ask for days off, especially right after the ASB

BigPoppa
07-20-2010, 04:10 PM
He just had 4 days off, why does he need a day off now, especially with Rolen down? So you are now asking for Votto/Gomes to carry the offense, yep good managing there...:thumbdown

4 days off ? A trip to the west coast and back ? oh, yeah there was that pesky ASG there in the middle. :rolleyes:

brm7675
07-20-2010, 04:10 PM
Phillips has been in a slump as of late. Maybe take him out one game and work on some stuff.

OMG it's the "excuse" police. You remove one of your best hitters, you put two of your worse hitters in the 1-2 slot, you play your worse hitting catcher and your hitting 3rd basemen is already inches from the DL. :thumbdown

couch_manager
07-20-2010, 04:11 PM
That's one of the reasons I have problems with Baker as the manager. He's been doing this all year and it bugs the hell out of me. When he gives players days off, rather than giving one of them the day off, it's two or three. What bothers me more is when he does it after we've lost one game of a three game series with at least one game still to go. It makes it that much harder to win the series.

Another thing...you're going to have a tougher time winning against Strasburg tomorrow than you are against Atilano tonight. So put your best offense out there tonight to give yourself the best chance of winning a more winnable game. Then sit your guys that need a rest tomorrow.

BigPoppa
OMG it's the "excuse" police. You remove one of your best hitters, you put two of your worse hitters in the 1-2 slot, you play your worse hitting catcher and your hitting 3rd basemen is already inches from the DL. :thumbdown

Maker 84 has a table for 2 ready for you near the kitchen :beerme:

ILoveWilly
Why didn't Dusty just give him Sunday off then? I mean he already forfeited one game this week, he may as well have just rested everyone in that case. Here comes a possible forfeit #2 for the week.

brm7675
07-20-2010, 04:12 PM
Wow I feel sorry for the fans attending tonight's game, if it was me I would return to the ticket window and ask for refund after seeing this sad lineup.

Redlegs_87
07-20-2010, 04:12 PM

No excuses just another possible explanation of why he is out of the game. Mr doom and gloom. If he is hurt then he is hurt nothing we can do about it.

I am starting to think you want him to be hurt so the Reds can go back to losing so you don't have to get all excited and stressed about them competing.

brm7675
07-20-2010, 04:13 PM
No excuses just another possible explanation of why he is out of the game. Mr doom and gloom. If he is hurt then he is hurt nothing we can do about it.

I am starting to think you want him to be hurt so the Reds can go back to losing so you don't have to get all excited and stressed about them competing.

If he hurts, he's hurt, him being hurt doesn't excuse Dusty putting Orlando in the 1 spot and Janish in the 2 spot and playing Miller.

Redlegs_87
07-20-2010, 04:15 PM
If he hurts, he's hurt, him being hurt doesn't excuse Dusty putting Orlando in the 1 spot and Janish in the 2 spot and playing Miller.

I agree it is an awful line up but griping about it isn't going to change how awful it is.

How would you rearrange the line up then?

Trace's Daddy
07-20-2010, 04:16 PM
Switch OCAB and Stubbs please Mista Dusty.
I have a feeling Janish goes off today.

Redlegs_87
07-20-2010, 04:17 PM
Switch OCAB and Stubbs please Mista Dusty.
I have a feeling Janish goes off today.

This I agree with get Stubbs to bunt since he has been working on bunting.

ILoveWilly
07-20-2010, 04:18 PM
I think Janish will get 2 hits tonight at least, I don't know how much Corky Miller we can take in the lineup though. I really, really hope we can get healthy soon, because Dusty + this bench is a lineup disaster. Thank God Gary Matthews Jr isn't up here, chances are he would be starting too.

redssince75
07-20-2010, 04:22 PM
Another thing...you're going to have a tougher time winning against Strasburg tomorrow than you are against Atilano tonight. So put your best offense out there tonight to give yourself the best chance of winning a more winnable game. Then sit your guys that need a rest tomorrow.

Actually I think he's going at it just the opposite...after thinking about it, I think this is how I would do it, too. Put the "weak" line-up out there tonight and still try to beat the Nats behind Leake. Then throw all the best hitters we have against SS tomorrow and try to win that one, too.

Try to win two by splitting the difference, in other words. Not bad.

By the way, I've never seen so much unsupported injury speculation as I've seen on this board. I still have to learn who has credible info, and who doesn't.

BigPoppa
07-20-2010, 04:24 PM
3. Why is Miller playing tonight? I mean really another non bat in the lineup?

......... along with you bad hitting catcher in the lineup 'shake" something up?

OMG it's the "excuse" police. ......... you play your worse hitting catcher ........ :thumbdown

I'm a Hanigan fan, but if you notice, dude ain't exactly been rakin' since he came back from the DL.

Redlegs_87
07-20-2010, 04:26 PM

By the way, I've never seen so much unsupported injury speculation as I've seen on this board. I still have to learn who has credible info, and who doesn't.

They don't know how to handle the Reds winning so they are freaking out over littlest things thinking everything is going to fall apart.

brm7675
07-20-2010, 04:28 PM
I'm a Hanigan fan, but if you notice, dude ain't exactly been rakin' since he came back from the DL.

he is still better then Miller.

sivman17
07-20-2010, 04:28 PM
Why don't we all just hold judgment on Dusty's lineup until: 1) we hear what's going on with B Phil, and 2) until after the game

If we score 10 runs tonight I want everyone back on here praising Dusty for his lineup

brm7675
07-20-2010, 04:31 PM
I agree it is an awful line up but griping about it isn't going to change how awful it is.

How would you rearrange the line up then?

If Phillips is physically unable to play then I go with Janish at second, but if it's because Dusty is "resting' him, someone needs a beatdown. As for lineup going on the idea Brandon can't play:

Heisey - RF
Hanigan - C
Votto - 1st
Gomes - LF
Cairo - 3rd
Janish - 2nd
Stubbs - CF
Leake - P
Orlando - SS

sivman17
07-20-2010, 04:32 PM
vs. RHP

Orlando - .217
Janish - .250
Votto - .338
Gomes - .291
Bruce - .267
Cairo - .305
Stubbs - .248
Corkey - .289
Leake - .391

Bench:
Phillips - .291
Hanigan - .328
Heisey - .382
Nix - .220
Rolen - .291

it would be nice to see Hanigan and Heisey in the lineup, and of course B Phil and Rolen... ahh well, let's see what happens

BigPoppa
07-20-2010, 04:33 PM
Why don't we all just hold judgment on Dusty's lineup until: 1) we hear what's going on with B Phil, and 2) until after the game

If we score 10 runs tonight I want everyone back on here praising Dusty for his lineup

Don't hold your breath on that one

arkimadee
07-20-2010, 04:37 PM
hey you all got your wish.. JANISH is in the lineup!!! go redlegs!!

Krawhitham
07-20-2010, 04:37 PM
Why does Dusty rest multiple players on the same day? What is the logic process? Rest everyone so they are fresh against Cy Young tomorrow? God I hope we stomp Strasburg like a red headed step child tomorrow.

This is a horrible lineup, good thing we are playing a horrible team

Leake should be hitting 7th in this lineup

knoonan991
07-20-2010, 04:41 PM
I'm starting to get sick of these threads considering the position that the Reds are in at this point in the season.

We just took 2 of 3 from one of the hotter teams in the NL and we took care of business last night. If Cabrera plays I hear nothing but "Why isn't Janish playing more!?" And if Janish plays I have to hear "Dusty puts together the worst lineups ever!"

At 10 games above .500 at this point can we maybe just give the manager the benefit of the doubt maybe just one time this year?

It seems like people now are complaining just to complain and can't enjoy the success we're having right now. And people continue to wonder why the Reds can't draw a good crowd with people having attitudes like this...

Honest question to the OP, would you rather the Reds make the playoffs and Dusty gets an extension, or the Red just miss and Dusty gets fired?

Geez.

ILoveWilly
07-20-2010, 04:47 PM
I'm starting to get sick of these threads considering the position that the Reds are in at this point in the season.

We just took 2 of 3 from one of the hotter teams in the NL and we took care of business last night. If Cabrera plays I hear nothing but "Why isn't Janish playing more!?" And if Janish plays I have to hear "Dusty puts together the worst lineups ever!"

At 10 games above .500 at this point can we maybe just give the manager the benefit of the doubt maybe just one time this year?

It seems like people now are complaining just to complain and can't enjoy the success we're having right now. And people continue to wonder why the Reds can't draw a good crowd with people having attitudes like this...

Honest question to the OP, would you rather the Reds make the playoffs and Dusty gets an extension, or the Red just miss and Dusty gets fired?

Geez.

:rolleyes:

brm7675
07-20-2010, 04:47 PM

Geez.

I expect for my manager to put together the best lineup possible and if you can look at tonight's lineup and tell me without hurling in your mouth that this is the best lineup and batting order the Reds could put out there then okay.

Krawhitham
07-20-2010, 04:48 PM
If Cabrera plays I hear nothing but "Why isn't Janish playing more!?" And if Janish plays I have to hear "Dusty puts together the worst lineups ever!"

Just in case you missed it Jasish is playing for Phillips not Cabrera.

This lineup should win tonight, but it is still a bad lineup

Kingspoint
07-20-2010, 04:49 PM
Mike Leake leads all Major League pitchers in no-decisions with 10 because he's constantly given crap lineups like this one by Dusty Baker.

rolenmvp
07-20-2010, 04:49 PM
:)first of all we are leading the wildcard, we are 10 games over 500 and all you guys do is complain about one simple lineup out of the way? geez, get a grip, not being mean but we are having a great season and if that is the only thing to complain about then, we are good.

ILoveWilly
07-20-2010, 04:50 PM
I expect for my manager to put together the best lineup possible and if you can look at tonight's lineup and tell me without hurling in your mouth that this is the best lineup and batting order the Reds could put out there then okay.

Same here. I rather lose going down with what we have that lose based on an incompetent decision.

We were the top offensive team in all of baseball, still top 5, but we also have the most shutouts in baseball. That's the most telling stat. And the fact that most of them came on Sunday's, the day when Dusty has to really manage the bench the way he rests guys, is there any more telling stat that our offensive success has been in spite of Dusty? How are you one of the best offensive teams and have been the most shutout team as well????

knoonan991
07-20-2010, 04:53 PM

You obviously don't understand baseball if you think you can run the best lineup out there 162 games of the season. This isn't a 100m sprint to the finish.

If Phillips gets hurt sometime in the season I know people will blame Dusty for never giving him rest and being overworked.

Rolen's a question mark with a possible trip to the DL, so he's obviously not playing. Do you honestly want to have Corky and Paul hitting against Strasburg? Dusty is being strategic with the lineup so he can use the best of what he's dealt with tomorrow night.

markymark69
07-20-2010, 04:54 PM
Yeah, I suppose Phillips 1-for-his last 13 has nothing to do with it. I figured BRM would be happy as much as he clamours for Janish to play.

brm7675
07-20-2010, 04:57 PM
You obviously don't understand baseball if you think you can run the best lineup out there 162 games of the season. This isn't a 100m sprint to the finish.

If Phillips gets hurt sometime in the season I know people will blame Dusty for never giving him rest and being overworked.

Rolen's a question mark with a possible trip to the DL, so he's obviously not playing. Do you honestly want to have Corky and Paul hitting against Strasburg? Dusty is being strategic with the lineup so he can use the best of what he's dealt with tomorrow night.

My god what a load of puppy poop. Great teams field their best team 162 times a season. Phillips did get hurt earlier in the season and BECAUSE our manager didn't do the right thing and rest him there, we right now could be looking at something worse. Because if Phillips is out because Dusty feels he needs a night off, then our manager is a joke. As for the lineup, I again ask why do you hit your two worse hitters 1-2? Why not bat Heisey leadoff and play him in RF tonight? I want the best lineup possible each night, and tonight's lineup is not the best and if you can't see that then OMG.:thumbdown

brm7675
07-20-2010, 04:58 PM
Yeah, I suppose Phillips 1-for-his last 13 has nothing to do with it. I figured BRM would be happy as much as he clamours for Janish to play.

Playing Janish is a good thing, batting him in the 2 hole with Orlando in the 1 hole is just down right stupid.

ILoveWilly

So why didn't Phillips get off Sunday, since we were already preparing to forfeit the game, as we have several times this year, as evidence by our several shutouts and losses on Sunday?

Why does Hanigan need yet another day off, when he just had one on Sunday? Is Dusty REALLY making Corky a platoon player???

Outside of that, why is the top two of the lineup so horrible? Why not bat Stubbs up there, considering he's been on a hot streak and he's the fastest guy on the team?

Very little of this makes sense. There's no defending it.

KOBasinger
That's a pretty pathetic lineup but I'm not going to go all "Chicken Little" untill more info is out.

markymark69
07-20-2010, 05:01 PM
Playing Janish is a good thing, batting him in the 2 hole with Orlando in the 1 hole is just down right stupid.

Because Janish is not an offensive threat right? I think you're finally coming around to what I have been saying.

Let's just see what happens. Go Reds!

brm7675
07-20-2010, 05:03 PM
That's a pretty pathetic lineup but I'm not going to go all "Chicken Little" untill more info is out.

What info do you need? Are you telling me that you can't look at that batting order and know a better lineup is available? What about putting Heisey in at leadoff and in RF tonight? Move Janish to say 7 and Orlando 9th? Bat Leake 8th as we know he can hit.

brm7675
07-20-2010, 05:05 PM
Because Janish is not an offensive threat right? I think you're finally coming around to what I have been saying.

Let's just see what happens. Go Reds!

Neither is Orlando and guess what, Janish is leap and bounds better in the field then Orlando could ever dream of being at this point in his career. Janish will save more runs then Orlando will contribute and help our pitchers have fewer pitches per game. Play Janish at SS and use Orlando as your bench man.:thumbup:

Griffey012
07-20-2010, 05:05 PM
That's one of the reasons I have problems with Baker as the manager. He's been doing this all year and it bugs the hell out of me. When he gives players days off, rather than giving one of them the day off, it's two or three. What bothers me more is when he does it after we've lost one game of a three game series with at least one game still to go. It makes it that much harder to win the series.

First off he is only giving Phillips a day off, Hanigan has been playing every other day since he came back from his injury, he is probably still not in shape to play every game for whatever reason. And as someone mentioned he ain't exactly been raking since he came back.

Phillips hasn't looked very good at all at the plate outside his home run AB. Get him a day off to clear his head, he may be worn out from the all-star festivities.

When the Reds beat Halladay a while back I made a similar post regarding the 2nd half of your post, but Rolen had came to Dusty and wanted to play again Halladay and beat him if he was going to sit a day. This may be the same situation with Phillips.

This isn't the days of PED's, greenie's, etc. Guys are going to be struggling with fatigue a lot more often.

brm7675
07-20-2010, 05:06 PM
Also lets say Brandon can't go tonight due to either illness or injury, what happens if by chance Janish or Orlando or Cairo get hurt during the game? Whom goes in for them?

Fullboat
07-20-2010, 05:07 PM
So watch them score 10 tonite.

KOBasinger
Also lets say Brandon can't go tonight due to either illness or injury, what happens if by chance Janish or Orlando or Cairo get hurt during the game? Whom goes in for them?

Owings?:D

brm7675
First off he is only giving Phillips a day off, Hanigan has been playing every other day since he came back from his injury, he is probably still not in shape to play every game for whatever reason. And as someone mentioned he ain't exactly been raking since he came back.

Phillips hasn't looked very good at all at the plate outside his home run AB. Get him a day off to clear his head, he may be worn out from the all-star festivities.

When the Reds beat Halladay a while back I made a similar post regarding the 2nd half of your post, but Rolen had came to Dusty and wanted to play again Halladay and beat him if he was going to sit a day. This may be the same situation with Phillips.

This isn't the days of PED's, greenie's, etc. Guys are going to be struggling with fatigue a lot more often.

Again, that doesn't excuse the extremely horrible lineup. How do you defend that? Remove Phillips from the discussion, there are better options then what Dusty came up with, and to ignore that is down right scary.

knoonan991
07-20-2010, 05:08 PM
My god what a load of puppy poop. Great teams field their best team 162 times a season. Phillips did get hurt earlier in the season and BECAUSE our manager didn't do the right thing and rest him there, we right now could be looking at something worse. Because if Phillips is out because Dusty feels he needs a night off, then our manager is a joke. As for the lineup, I again ask why do you hit your two worse hitters 1-2? Why not bat Heisey leadoff and play him in RF tonight? I want the best lineup possible each night, and tonight's lineup is not the best and if you can't see that then OMG.:thumbdown

You should take a look at the Cardinals lineup from Sunday, are they a great team or not?

Heisey should get some more PT I'll agree with you, but Bruce is critical for this team to succeed, juging by his plate appearances last night he seems to be getting his confidence back.

I was at the series in Chicago and I'm pretty sure Paul Janish did halfway decent filling in for Votto, so what's the problem having him in the two hole? Batting .286 I believe.

And have you been watching Cabrera since the ASB? Much improved, and I think he deserves a shot leading off.

My point about Phillips goes to show that no matter what Dusty does the guy can't win over his critics.

bgwilly31
07-20-2010, 05:11 PM
Geez. Really? Jump to depressing conclusions much?

Well its a wide known fact around here that BP dont take days off. He has to be pulled from the lineup and fights tooth and nail when he does get pulled.

Taking the ASB was just last week. Him needing another break is a pretty far out there idea. So yes its pretty logical to assume he's hurting.

They don't know how to handle the Reds winning so they are freaking out over littlest things thinking everything is going to fall apart.

:thumbdown

Geez.

There's all kinds of wrong with this post.

Todays lineup is scary.

Could our season really get ruined by injuries.

This really couldnt come at a worse time. Cardinals are apparently catching fire and unbeatable. if we faceplant and go 4-6 or something of the sort over the next 10 games we could easily find ourselves 3-4 games out and falling quick.

Not to mention these injuries throw a wrench into the mix on just how big of a move Walt will make before the deadline. is this season really our chance? Do we need to replace these guys.

sivman17
07-20-2010, 05:14 PM
I just posted this in the game thread.. but here ya go

BA vs. RHP/Home games/at current spot in order
Cabrera: .217/.280/.236
Janish: .250/.292/.333
Votto: .338/.301/.307
Gomes: .291/.327/.302
Bruce: .267/.247/.262
Cairo: .305/.313/.500
Stubbs: .248/.273/.299
Miller: .289/.294/.250
Leake: .391/.294/.389

Their averages at home and at their current spot in the order aren't all that bad. I do realize that you can bend any lineup to make it look favorably, but I'm trying to look at the bright side of things here.

FlyerFanatic
07-20-2010, 05:15 PM
nothing wrong with brandon just a day off according to dusty per sheldon. thinks votto and phillips are "spent" lol. didnt they just come off the all star break? oh...and they're professional athletes, oh and theyre both young.

knoonan991
07-20-2010, 05:15 PM

I hear ya, I think we should just play without a 2B or a SS because they're obviously going to get hurt.

Come on dude, we could go into hypotheticals about the whole team getting hurt tonight, is your suggestion to play Phillips if he has this so called injury or illness?

Wouldn't Dusty be an idiot for not handling it the right way? You just refuted everything you have been saying.

Gotta love the Sun Deck :D

KOBasinger
07-20-2010, 05:17 PM
This is from Sheldon's blog.

Everybody, CALM DOWN ;)

Cabrera 6
Janish 4
Votto 3
Gomes 7
Bruce 9
Cairo 5
Stubbs 8
Miller 2
Leake 1

*Nothing is wrong with Brandon Phillips -- it's just a day off. Phillips is batting .191 in July and was 0-for-9 over his last two games.

"He hasn't had a day off. I could see him and Joey [Votto] are spent," Reds manager Dusty Baker said. "It always happens after All-Star games. If it was around the corner, it would be no problem. But they went coast-to-coast and back and didn't have any off days. When you're tired, the first thing you lose is your concentration.

"I just told him to stay home, eat, sleep and show up late. I have to give Joey one off too because I can see he's in the same boat, kind of."

*Votto is 2-for-14 in the second half. Neither he nor Phillips can get a break Wednesday since Stephen Strasburg is starting for Washington.

*Not much is new with Scott Rolen, who is dealing with a sore right hamstring. He walked on the treadmill on Monday.

"I'm going to go stretch with the team, go out and throw a little bit and get my treatment and stuff," Rolen said Tuesday. "I don't feel any better. I don't feel any worse right now."

*Jason Isringhausen threw for the Reds today. I hope to have more of an update on that soon.

*Baker on Ramon Hernandez's potential return: "Maybe tomorrow, maybe Thursday. We're trying to ease him back into things."

I don't get it though. He says he's giving Votto a day off but he is in the lineup?

sivman17
07-20-2010, 05:18 PM
I don't get it though. He says he's giving Votto a day off but he is in the lineup?

He will probably give him the day off on Thursday.

bgwilly31
07-20-2010, 05:19 PM
Heisey should get some more PT I'll agree with you, but Bruce is critical for this team to succeed, juging by his plate appearances last night he seems to be getting his confidence back.

How could u watch his appearances last night and think that>? I would love to know.

nothing wrong with brandon just a day off according to dusty per sheldon. thinks votto and phillips are "spent" lol. didnt they just come off the all star break? oh...and they're professional athletes, oh and theyre both young.

Just tired.

So when are going to rest votto. Tomorrow>?

I bet thats dustys plan.

KOBasinger
07-20-2010, 05:19 PM
How could u watch his appearances last night and think that>? I would love to know.

Just tired.

So when are going to rest votto. Tomorrow>?

I bet thats dustys plan.

I hope not. Strasburg is pitching tomorrow. Please make it Thursday.

Kingspoint
07-20-2010, 05:20 PM

Dusty's done this type of thing before:

He's looking ahead to a day game and wants a couple of players rested for what he considers to be an important day game.

It's a Nationally televised game against Stephen Strasburg tomorrow, and Dusty's going to give it his best effort to win that game, so he's compromising this game to try to do that.

Dusty has pushed a lot of the right buttons this year, as far as trying to keep guys ready, Janish and Owings notwithstanding.

bgwilly31
07-20-2010, 05:23 PM
Well cross your fingers for a leake shut out tonight.

Were going to need it.

sivman17
07-20-2010, 05:26 PM
Since the All-Star break, Cabrera is .429, Gomes is .400, Stubbs is .571, and Miller is .333. There is no reason for all the panic.

Kingspoint
07-20-2010, 05:28 PM

I'd do it that way, but Baker's chosen to try for the sweep. The Nats have a bad pitcher going, and the REDS have a good pitcher going (they always do), and they still have a good chance to win today. Now, tomorrow, they are going to have a much better chance of winning than if he went with his best lineup today.

brm7675
07-20-2010, 05:30 PM
I hear ya, I think we should just play without a 2B or a SS because they're obviously going to get hurt.

Come on dude, we could go into hypotheticals about the whole team getting hurt tonight, is your suggestion to play Phillips if he has this so called injury or illness?

Wouldn't Dusty be an idiot for not handling it the right way? You just refuted everything you have been saying.

Gotta love the Sun Deck :D

no this where you DL Rolen and bring up a Sutton or someone. We are again possibly looking at playing with a shorten bench, again bad managment.

Kingspoint
07-20-2010, 05:32 PM
Rotoworld's opinion of Dusty Baker:

Kerry Wood was rumored on his way to Cincinnati, but it's improbable that he closes over CoCo, but sometimes it's hard to tell with the way Dusty Baker runs that Dracula rock opera over there.

brm7675
07-20-2010, 05:37 PM
you know, it's sad how many are willing to make excuses for such bad baseball decisions, no wonder the Reds are where they are. Maybe if the press called out Dusty or Walt on these continual bad moves maybe we could see some changes.....

knoonan991
07-20-2010, 05:41 PM
you know, it's sad how many are willing to make excuses for such bad baseball decisions, no wonder the Reds are where they are. Maybe if the press called out Dusty or Walt on these continual bad moves maybe we could see some changes.....

When you say "no wonder the Reds are where they are." Do you mean best they have been at this point in the season since 1999? Give it a rest.

sivman17
07-20-2010, 05:47 PM

2nd in the NL central
1st in BA
1st in runs scored
1st in hits
2nd in HRs
1st in TBs
1st in RBIs
3rd in OPB
1st in SLG
1st in OPS

Why we upset again? It seems as if Baker could run any lineup he wants out there and they are going to put up numbers. Let's give him a rest for now.

markymark69
07-20-2010, 05:47 PM
When you say "no wonder the Reds are where they are." Do you mean best they have been at this point in the season since 1999? Give it a rest.

Maybe you can through to him. Be prepared, he doesn't listen very well and his last 50 or so posts have done nothing pick apart this team. You'd think they were 29-63 the way he talks.

brm7675
07-20-2010, 05:48 PM

Wow that's something to pound your chest about, especially since they have the talent to be 15-20 games over .500 and 4-5 games in front of St. Louis...but hey we are better then we have been for the past 10 years..:beerme:

Kingspoint
07-20-2010, 05:52 PM
Great teams field their best team 162 times a season.

NEVER.

EVER.

knoonan991
07-20-2010, 05:55 PM
Maybe you can through to him. Be prepared, he doesn't listen very well and his last 50 or so posts have nothing pick apart this team. You'd think they 29-63 the way he talks.

:D

I guess I can thank him for causing me to be so dumbfounded by his posts, that I have actually started to post instead of just lurk here.

brm7675
07-20-2010, 05:55 PM
2nd in the NL central
1st in BA
1st in runs scored
1st in hits
2nd in HRs
1st in TBs
1st in RBIs
3rd in OPB
1st in SLG
1st in OPS

Why we upset again? It seems as if Baker could run any lineup he wants out there and they are going to put up numbers. Let's give him a rest for now.

All of that is great, but we are still only 10 games over .500 and NOT in first place. All that matters is what are W/L record is and right now it's not where it should be given the talent on this team. What does that tell you if our team can post those type of numbers and YET still not be a great winning team....UMM LOUSY MANAGER?

sivman17
07-20-2010, 06:00 PM
All of that is great, but we are still only 10 games over .500 and NOT in first place. All that matters is what are W/L record is and right now it's not where it should be given the talent on this team. What does that tell you if our team can post those type of numbers and YET still not be a great winning team....UMM LOUSY MANAGER?

Well for one, the Reds have the 9th ranked ERA in the NL, while St. Louis has the 2nd.

knoonan991
07-20-2010, 06:01 PM

It tells me it's a very competitive race in the NL this year. Look how many teams are within 5 games of their division.

Redlegs_87
07-20-2010, 06:02 PM
brm7576 makes me laugh. Has said nothing positive in this whole thread. Can't be happy we are in the race has to cry and moan about everything. We all want the team to win all the time and be up by as many games as they can.

We just have to be happy where we are right now. I am sure we could be a plus a few wins if not for Bakers questionable managing. That is all in the past now and he is going to be here till least the end of the season. No matter how much you cry and moan over his managing it isn't going to change.

ILoveWilly
07-20-2010, 06:02 PM
2nd in the NL central
1st in BA
1st in runs scored
1st in hits
2nd in HRs
1st in TBs
1st in RBIs
3rd in OPB
1st in SLG
1st in OPS

Why have we been shut out most in the majors then? That stat is telling that we have a potent offense, yet our manager can screw it up once a week and cost us wins.

Fullboat
07-20-2010, 06:04 PM

Or a Closer that has blown 6 games,
Or a shaky bullpen
Or a valuable to the team gold glove 3rd basemen who is as old as the hills
Or a young RF who is still learning the ropes.

How is that Dusty's fault?

brm7675
07-20-2010, 06:04 PM

I will "give it a rest" when the Reds have a manager on the talent level of their players, until then, everytime Dusty does something stupid, like tonight's really really bad lineup card, I am going to point it out. :thumbup:

Kingspoint
07-20-2010, 06:05 PM
Why have we been shut out most in the majors then? That stat is telling that we have a potent offense, yet our manager can screw it up once a week and cost us wins.

That's a fact.

brm7675
07-20-2010, 06:06 PM
Or a Closer that has blown 6 games,
Or a shaky bullpen
Or a valuable to the team gold glove 3rd basemen who is as old as the hills
Or a young RF who is still learning the ropes.

How is that Dusty's fault?

A) Dusty refuses to look at other people in the bullpen to close
B) Dusty refuses to use the bullpe in a correct manner (btw anyone seen Ownings)
C) Dusty refuses to give him rest at the right time
D) Again using your bench and your coaches to correct the problem

Any more?

brm7675
07-20-2010, 06:07 PM
We just have to be happy where we are right now.

That is a losing point of view. :thumbdown

Redlegs_87
07-20-2010, 06:10 PM
That is a losing point of view. :thumbdown

No. I am a fan my point of view has no bearing on the ballclub. I could be like you and accept nothing but win every game and it wouldn't change where the team is right now.

knoonan991
07-20-2010, 06:10 PM
I will "give it a rest" when the Reds have a manager on the talent level of their players, until then, everytime Dusty does something stupid, like tonight's really really bad lineup card, I am going to point it out. :thumbup:

Fair enough, and everytime one of our fans does something stupid, like some of today's really really bad threads, I am going to point it out as well :thumbup:

The Voice of IH
07-20-2010, 06:16 PM
wow, 7 pages for 1 line up card, and I'll admit I did not read it all.

But I will say I am excited for the shake up, it just 1 out of 162, plus we are playing a horrible Nationals team with our (or one of) best pitcher on the mound. Phillips is like 13 of 62 (something like that) maybe the guy needs a mentality break, Dusty knows why.

Edit: Phillips has 13 hits in his last 68 at bats. Phillips has been sick with the glove, but is really not needed when you have Janish out there that will make the plays as well.

Chip R
07-20-2010, 06:18 PM
http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=83778