PDA

View Full Version : What Are Your Thoughts On Micah Owings?

GAC
07-21-2010, 08:06 AM
I'll tell ya - if the Reds are looking to free up a roster spot then IMO they can start with this guy. I know that many held out hope when we acquired him from the D'Backs that he could possibly turn into a serviceable #4 or #5 guy in the rotation, but I've seen enough of this guy, even out of the bullpen.

SEASON TEAM G GS CG SHO IP H R ER HR BB SO W L SV HLD BLSV WHIP ERA
2007 Ari 29 27 2 1 152.2 146 81 73 20 50 106 8 8 0 0 -- 1.28 4.30
2008 Ari 22 18 0 0 104.2 104 73 69 14 41 87 6 9 0 1 -- 1.39 5.93
2009 Cin 26 19 0 0 119.2 126 75 71 18 64 68 7 12 1 0 0 1.59 5.34
2010 Cin 22 0 0 0 33.1 28 20 20 3 25 35 3 2 0 0 -- 1.59 5.40
Total -- 99 64 2 1 410.1 404 249 233 55 180 296 24 31 1 1 -- 1.42 5.11

A home ERA of 8.69. He definitely shouldn't see the light of day versus a LH'd hitter. They salivate facing off against the guy.

What, if any, options do we have with this guy?

hebroncougar
07-21-2010, 08:50 AM
I dont' disagree, but man, he doesn't get steady work either. Last night was the first time he pitched in 16 days. Kind of hard to stay sharp that way.

OesterPoster
07-21-2010, 09:06 AM
Walks will haunt. Owings gives up way too many, even in the outings where he manages to throw a scoreless inning.

jojo
07-21-2010, 09:06 AM
Trade him to Kansas City.

reds1869
07-21-2010, 09:22 AM
If someone will take him, deal him. If not send him through waivers and free up a spot on the 40 man. Last night was the final straw for me.

Caveat Emperor
07-21-2010, 09:39 AM
If someone will take him, deal him. If not send him through waivers and free up a spot on the 40 man. Last night was the final straw for me.

He hadn't pitched in over two weeks -- even the long man needs to get work sometimes or they'll be rusty. If you want to cut on Owings, I can get that, but using last night as an examlpe isn't fair to him, IMO.

TRF
07-21-2010, 09:53 AM
35K's in 33 IP.

Under a hit per inning.

the walks are a serious problem, but when you don't pitch for almost 2.5 weeks, that's gonna happen. There is not other long man in the pen. Maybe Smith could do it, but i wouldn't count on it.

Chip R
07-21-2010, 09:58 AM
I dont' disagree, but man, he doesn't get steady work either. Last night was the first time he pitched in 16 days. Kind of hard to stay sharp that way.

Yeah. If you're not going to use him, why have him on the roster? Dusty's not even using him as a pinch hitter anymore. Free up the spot for a position player.

flyer85
07-21-2010, 10:02 AM
can hit for power

durl
07-21-2010, 10:04 AM
Walks will haunt. Owings gives up way too many, even in the outings where he manages to throw a scoreless inning.

Looking at the OP's stats, Owings K/BB ratio was better than 2:1 in Arizona but has declined considerably since coming over to Cincinnati. Something changed for the guy.

reds1869
07-21-2010, 10:40 AM
He hadn't pitched in over two weeks -- even the long man needs to get work sometimes or they'll be rusty. If you want to cut on Owings, I can get that, but using last night as an examlpe isn't fair to him, IMO.

And imo there is a big reason he doesn't get regular work: because Dusty doesn't have enough confidence to use him. In that case he is a waste of a roster spot.

Kc61
07-21-2010, 10:55 AM
I don't believe in carrying a long man. They tend to be used in very rare situations. Especially when you have good starting pitching, as the Reds do.

I'm not sure Dusty lacks confidence in Owings. I just think Owings has a role that seldom comes into play. Owings started the season well, but as the long man he hasn't pitched enough.

I'd prefer to have a few middle relievers who can work multiple innings. Guys who can be called upon in the sixth inning to work two frames.

In the rare case when the starter is knocked out early, these multi-inning relievers would have to pitch a bit more to fill the gap.

I'd prefer that to a long man who just sits waiting for the starter to be knocked out or the occasional long extra inning game.

Reds1
07-21-2010, 11:09 AM
YOu can't leave a guy on the bench 16 days and expect him to be sharp. This true long man thing isn't working out too well with this pitching staff. WE don't have guys that go 2-3 innings where you need a long man. He's in a tough position. Micah I think had done ok for what he's had to do. I was worried about him, but thankfully Reds had just enough cushion last night.

Chip R
07-21-2010, 11:24 AM
YOu can't leave a guy on the bench 16 days and expect him to be sharp. This true long man thing isn't working out too well with this pitching staff. WE don't have guys that go 2-3 innings where you need a long man.

Actually, we do. Masset, Smith and Ondrusek can and have done that. This isn't a team that needs a long man that often. When we do, it's been in a game where we've had a big lead. Not a bad problem to have.

Blitz Dorsey
07-21-2010, 11:30 AM
He was very solid out of the bullpen early in the season and I thought he had found a home there. However, he has struggled big-time lately and I don't know what to think of him. I'm not ready to give up on him like you are, but I certainly am concerned. Especially considering I thought he was going to be a nice asset out there for the Reds for a while. However, his inability to pitch on back-to-back nights really hurts him. Since he doesn't pitch often, he gets rusty and he simply hasn't been effective lately. And if they end up making Harang a long reliever, or Bailey a long reliever down the stretch (because the starting rotation has to be Arroyo, Cueto, Leake, Volquez and Wood) then Owings might be out of a job.

Kc61
07-21-2010, 11:46 AM
Actually, we do. Masset, Smith and Ondrusek can and have done that. This isn't a team that needs a long man that often. When we do, it's been in a game where we've had a big lead. Not a bad problem to have.

Smith and Ondrusek are former starters. Masset is a former long man and can pitch multiple innings.

Russ Springer, now getting ready in the minors, is a multi-innings reliever.

If Harang or Bailey or even Chapman were in the pen, they could work multiple innings, as guys who have started most of their careers.

The Reds can get enough innings without a long man. And it doesn't necessarily help Owings, who probably should be in a rotation someplace.

traderumor
07-21-2010, 01:07 PM
If Owings was ever sharp, then the long time between appearances would be an excuse. He is wild because he has a funky arm action that makes him inconsistent. He could come out and pitch again today and look the same.

It seems to me that when someone doesn't pitch for that length of time, you are carrying too many pitchers. Exchange for a bench player to give another PH option.

Caveat Emperor
07-21-2010, 01:08 PM
Exchange for a bench player to give another PH option.

He's actually the best PH option -- both on the team and in the minors -- as well.

camisadelgolf
07-21-2010, 01:09 PM
Micah Owings is eligible for arbitration after this year. I have a little trouble imagining the Reds giving him the raise needed to keep him. What makes things a little more difficult is knowing who is agent is.

Hoosier Red
07-21-2010, 01:14 PM
He's actually the best PH option -- both on the team and in the minors -- as well.

I think being the "long man" has actually taken away whatever extra value he has with the bat. If a game is close, Dusty doesn't want to use him as PH early because then he loses the guy who can go multiple innings in extras.
If the game's a blowout, he's usually not used because our pitchers have been going 6-7 with regularity.

As stat concious as Dusty has been, I was surprised earlier in the year that Dusty didn't take a starter out of a game they'd been dominating through 6 innings and let Owings pick up the three inning save. Saturday night would have been a good example. But maybe last night showed why he doesn't employ that strategy.

Chip R
07-21-2010, 01:17 PM
I think being the "long man" has actually taken away whatever extra value he has with the bat. If a game is close, Dusty doesn't want to use him as PH early because then he loses the guy who can go multiple innings in extras.
If the game's a blowout, he's usually not used because our pitchers have been going 6-7 with regularity.

Well put. It almost defeats the purpose of him being a long man.

As stat concious as Dusty has been, I was surprised earlier in the year that Dusty didn't take a starter out of a game they'd been dominating through 6 innings and let Owings pick up the three inning save. Saturday night would have been a good example. But maybe last night showed why he doesn't employ that strategy.

I thought he was going to do that his last time out. I think it was against the Cubs. But he didn't pitch him for more than an inning or two. I don't think he was ineffective.

Hoosier Red
07-21-2010, 01:44 PM
I thought he was going to do that his last time out. I think it was against the Cubs. But he didn't pitch him for more than an inning or two. I don't think he was ineffective.

I remember that game. I think Owings pitched the 7th and either Smith pitched 2 or Smith and Ondrusek each pitched one.

Quite honestly at this point I'd rather Owings just be the designated early pinch hitter. He's not bringing any value as a pitcher as they're almost afraid to use him.

RedsManRick
07-21-2010, 01:59 PM
I agree that the value of his bat is lost if Dusty is only going to use him as a mop-up man and extra innings insurance. I'd like to see him used more often as that 5th/6th inning guy who PH for the pitcher and then starts the next inning.

He's not pitched particularly well, but I have to imagine it's tough when you only get in to 1 game a week for an inning or two -- if that.

traderumor
07-21-2010, 02:42 PM
He's actually the best PH option -- both on the team and in the minors -- as well.That's certainly debatable. He can hit a home run, but I'm convinced with his bail and wail swing that he would not fare well. I used to think differently. Regardless, his current role on the staff negates his value to occasionally PH. Dusty has been reluctant to use him when his arm is available, and since he is not needed anymore than he has been, get by with one less pitcher and add a position player.

TheNext44
07-21-2010, 03:17 PM
Owings has been fine for most of the season. He's walked too many but otherwise had been rather dominant.

The problem isn't Owings, it how he's used. Today's modern game doesn't need a long man. Pens ace seven guys now. They can fill the gap of a starter leaving early with multiple guys.

The long man is like the third catcher. Needed so rarely that it's silly to waste a roster space on him.

Either make Owings a normal middle reliever or trade him if he's not one of the four best on the team.

nemesis
07-21-2010, 03:38 PM
Does Owings have any options left?

redsmetz
07-21-2010, 04:05 PM
Does Owings have any options left?

Apparently so. Sheldon just tweated that the club sent Owings down and recalled Carlos Fisher

Rojo
07-21-2010, 05:21 PM
Dusty has been reluctant to use him when his arm is available, and since he is not needed anymore than he has been, get by with one less pitcher and add a position player.

It's better if Dusty lets a position player rot.

traderumor
07-21-2010, 05:26 PM
It's better if Dusty lets a position player rot.They have had a short bench a lot more than they've been short-handed in the pen.

CTA513
07-21-2010, 05:29 PM
His pitching has never really impressed me so I won't miss him.

Rojo
07-21-2010, 05:43 PM
They have had a short bench a lot more than they've been short-handed in the pen.

I wasn't being sarcastic just noting that's it's likely that player won't be used much either.