PDA

View Full Version : Is it fair to the fans?

brm7675
07-21-2010, 10:51 AM
Last nights game to me is an example of baseball's greed. To restart that game after a 2.5 hour rain delay and a restart at 11:30pm on a week night no less is not really fair to the fans, or people who work at the stadium and probably have other jobs the next day. If the game was stopped with an 'offical' game being played, then call it and don't make people stay until what like 1-2am or be forced to leave and miss the game they paid to see. Sorry but sometimes the greed of baseball is sad.:thumbdown

mrherd05
07-21-2010, 10:59 AM
When the "fans" of Cincinnati start showing up on a regular basis, then and ONLY then would they have a leg to stand on ...until then, all fans of Cincy need to just shut up and deal with it.

This could be one of the dumbest threads in regards to baseball I have ever read.

if I drive to a baseball game and pay for it, I want my 9 innings at all cost.

If they end the game after five and people leave then fine. If they continue the game 3 hours later, and you have already left, you were going to leave then anyway, so whats the point of this post.

And besides, its not like it happens all the time. Once or twice a season, and those people at that game last night were having a Blast.

Fon Duc Tow
07-21-2010, 11:00 AM
you lost me on this one. :idunno:

brm7675
07-21-2010, 11:29 AM
Again, a brief rain delay is one thing, but to expect fans to be able to stick around a ballpark until possibly 1-2 or even maybe 3 am is wrong. At worse, refund the money to the ticket holders and pick up the game the next day and play it out then start the other game.

RedsFanInBama
07-21-2010, 11:46 AM
brm7675, what you've just posted is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever seen. At no point in your rambling, incoherent post were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone on this board is now dumber for having read it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

KOBasinger
07-21-2010, 11:46 AM
Suck it up.

Moosie52
07-21-2010, 11:47 AM
And it was on TV when they got home.

TheBigLebowski
07-21-2010, 11:47 AM
brm7675, what you've just posted is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever seen. At no point in your rambling, incoherent post were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone on this board is now dumber for having read it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

"A simple 'wrong' would have been fine."

Orodle
07-21-2010, 01:45 PM
Yes, the fans are responsible for the clubs, players, ect all making money. Without fans there is no professional baseball.

But when the umpires get together do you really think they are wondering whats best for the fans? No, they are deciding whats best for the teams, the game, and the league.

Krawhitham
07-21-2010, 02:19 PM
Last nights game to me is an example of baseball's greed. To restart that game after a 2.5 hour rain delay and a restart at 11:30pm on a week night no less is not really fair to the fans, or people who work at the stadium and probably have other jobs the next day. If the game was stopped with an 'offical' game being played, then call it and don't make people stay until what like 1-2am or be forced to leave and miss the game they paid to see. Sorry but sometimes the greed of baseball is sad.:thumbdown

wrong

bounty37h
07-21-2010, 03:02 PM
Again, a brief rain delay is one thing, but to expect fans to be able to stick around a ballpark until possibly 1-2 or even maybe 3 am is wrong. At worse, refund the money to the ticket holders and pick up the game the next day and play it out then start the other game.

Hows that fair to those from out of town that cant come back the next day? Its a danged if you do, danged if you dont kinda situation, someone is going to be upset no matter which way it goes.

brm7675
07-21-2010, 03:23 PM
Hows that fair to those from out of town that cant come back the next day? Its a danged if you do, danged if you dont kinda situation, someone is going to be upset no matter which way it goes.

If it's a weekend game, I can see playing it out, but during the week I would bet the number of "out of town" fans is pretty low. Again, if it is a short rain delay that is one thing, but to me if it's past 11pm during the week and you still have almost half the game to play and you are still 20-30 minutes from restarting the game, then you call it.

Kiss the Baby00
07-21-2010, 03:30 PM
If it's a weekend game, I can see playing it out, but during the week I would bet the number of "out of town" fans is pretty low. Again, if it is a short rain delay that is one thing, but to me if it's past 11pm during the week and you still have almost half the game to play and you are still 20-30 minutes from restarting the game, then you call it.

WRONG ill be driving 3 hours each way to go to tonights game. speaking of which, do u even go to games brm? or do you sit at your computer all day complaining?

Indy Reds Fan
07-21-2010, 03:46 PM

I agree with this one..A weekend game is ok to delay that long but a game during the week is a bit ridiculous...I'm just glad I didn't drive in 3 hours yesterday..that would have ruined my week..

brm7675
07-21-2010, 03:59 PM
WRONG ill be driving 3 hours each way to go to tonights game. speaking of which, do u even go to games brm? or do you sit at your computer all day complaining?

Yep i make the 2 hour drive on average of 4-5 times per season. And due to my job, I go to weekend games. So you are 3 hours away, if tonight's game get's delayed are you going to stay until it's completed even if that is say 1 or 2am which means it could be 5am before you get back home? Are you working tomorrow or did you take the day off?

redlegs7089
07-21-2010, 04:02 PM

lol i agree..

Boston Red
07-21-2010, 04:02 PM
I'm not sure where the greed part comes in.

brm7675
07-21-2010, 04:15 PM
I'm not sure where the greed part comes in.

Simple, the teams want to "rake" in that extra money from the concession sales and such. They don't care about the fans at all, just the money they are spending.

texasdave
07-21-2010, 04:21 PM
It is my understanding that the team has control until the first pitch. After that it is in the hands of the umpire. The team has no say in rain delays. I could be mistaken but that is how I understand it.

The umpire-in-chief shall be the sole judge as to whether and when play shall be suspended during a game because of unsuitable weather conditions or the unfit condition of the playing field; as to whether and when the play shall be resumed after such suspension; and as to whether and when a game shall be terminated after such suspension. He shall not call the game until at least thirty minutes after he has suspended play. He may continue the suspension as long as he believes there is any chance to resume play.
Rule 3.10(c) Comment: The umpire-in-chief shall at all times try to complete a game. His authority to resume play following one or more suspensions of as much as thirty minutes each shall be absolute and he shall terminate a game only when there appears to be no possibility of completing it.

brm7675
07-21-2010, 04:26 PM
It is my understanding that the team has control until the first pitch. After that it is in the hands of the umpire. The team has no say in rain delays. I could be mistaken but that is how I understand it.

Real simple, baseball makes a rule that says no inning can begin after 11:30pm due to a rain delay that has more then X number of innings left. The game I believe when the rain hit was an 'offical" game, there was no reason to resume it at that late time on a week day.

TC81190
07-21-2010, 04:30 PM
I left the game at like 9 or so when they announced there was another rain cell moving in. That was like the 5th inning. We got home and turned the game on at like 11:30, and they had just resumed the 6th. Surreal.

RedsLvr
07-21-2010, 04:33 PM
Real simple, baseball makes a rule that says no inning can begin after 11:30pm due to a rain delay that has more then X number of innings left. The game I believe when the rain hit was an 'offical" game, there was no reason to resume it at that late time on a week day.

Think about it. Do you really think Bud Selig would impose a rule over rain delays? You must be high.

brm7675
07-21-2010, 04:36 PM
Think about it. Do you really think Bud Selig would impose a rule over rain delays? You must be high.

Selig is an idiot, so no it won't happen, but how often has baseball ever done anything that was in favor of the fans?

Trace's Daddy
07-21-2010, 04:44 PM
I would think that the remaining amount of fans' money spent was probably less than the operating costs at the stadium, so they may have been actually losing money. Don't think it was greed that restarted the game after 11pm.

BTW - love the Billy Madison rant haha

RedsLvr
07-21-2010, 04:45 PM
Selig is an idiot, so no it won't happen, but how often has baseball ever done anything that was in favor of the fans?

It's a business. Why would they do anything to decrease the amount of profit they're bringing in by doing things like putting a time limit on rain delays?

texasdave
07-21-2010, 04:48 PM

I did not say that it should have been restarted that late. I was simply responding to this quote by you:

Simple, the teams want to "rake" in that extra money from the concession sales and such. They don't care about the fans at all, just the money they are spending.

The teams have no control.

brm7675
07-21-2010, 04:53 PM
It's a business. Why would they do anything to decrease the amount of profit they're bringing in by doing things like putting a time limit on rain delays?

Given the "billions" that MLB makes it would be nice to see them do some things with the fans in mind, not the bottom dollar.

sivman17
07-21-2010, 05:06 PM
What if a game goes to extra innings and it doesn't get over till 1 am? Is that unfair?

Is every game on the west coast that starts at 7 PM PST/10 PM EST unfair because we have to stay up till 1 am to watch the end? Remember the 18-inning game in SD? That didn't get over till around 3 or 4 in the morning and I stayed up for the whole thing... and the Reds lost that game.

Did I b*tch and complain? No. I enjoyed every minute of it. Get over yourself. We won the game, and it was over before 1 am. Big deal.

RedsLvr
07-21-2010, 05:11 PM
True. Surprised he didn't say that west coast games needed to start at 4PM PST to satisfy his needs.

brm7675
07-21-2010, 05:14 PM
What if a game goes to extra innings and it doesn't get over till 1 am? Is that unfair?

Is every game on the west coast that starts at 7 PM PST/10 PM EST unfair because we have to stay up till 1 am to watch the end? Remember the 18-inning game in SD? That didn't get over till around 3 or 4 in the morning and I stayed up for the whole thing... and the Reds lost that game.

Did I b*tch and complain? No. I enjoyed every minute of it. Get over yourself. We won the game, and it was over before 1 am. Big deal.

You had the option of staying up and watching, extra inning games are a different matter. Those "working' the game have no choice, they are stuck there. Again it was an "offical" game when the rain came, there was no reason to restart it at 11:30pm except to make money for MLB.

Boston Red
07-21-2010, 05:28 PM
there was no reason to restart it at 11:30pm except to make money for MLB.

I don't think MLB made money on this. Probably lost money actually. You're REALLY reaching.

FlightRick
07-21-2010, 07:01 PM
There is, objectively/factually/demonstrably, no way anybody really made a ton of money last night by continuing that game. Did you see how many people bothered to stay? Do you understand the basic economics of facilities management where it costs X number of dollars to even open the doors to a stadium/arena, and then Y more dollars to keep it open for Z number of hours? Do you really think the 713 fans who stuck it out bought enough hot dogs and cokes to offset the costs of keeping the stadium open and staffed well past midnight?

I seriously doubt it. And I doubt the fans who were there much minded. They had to buy maybe one more beverage, and they all got comped down to field level seats. Maybe they paid $10 to get in the door, but they watched half the game from the $50 seats. Seems like a decent trade off for me, if all I have to do is get one more coke to keep myself from getting parched.

That said, there is a non-silly way to be angry that the game continued last night... and that's the simple fact that we're playing meaningful baseball as the calendar approaches August, and I'd rather have 5 innings of entertainment with the WIN than 9 full innings and taking the LOSS. Knowing our pen, I just didn't feel secure in a 5-1 lead, and would have loved for the umps to wait a reasonable amount of time (I'd say 90 minutes is fair, and 2 hours is almost a super-human effort) and just call the game and hand us the win.

I'd go so far as to say the identity of our opponent factored into my feelings, too. If we were playing another team that was playing Meaningful Baseball at this point of the season, then my sense of justice requires that we try to complete the game and Let The Best Team Win. But we were playing the Nats, one of 7 teams in the NL who is unequivocally out of play-off contention. What's the point? Let's just call it a night, since the right team was winning after 5, says I!

Selfish? Yep. But at least it's not silly.

Rick

Quatitos
07-21-2010, 08:56 PM

This makes no sense......

You are arguing that you would prefer they called the game and not restarted it. So you that it is greedy that they let you get your full moneys worth from your tickets as opposed to only getting to see 5 of the 9 innings you paid for. They did not make money from prolonging that rain delay, since it is very expensive to power and staff the stadium, and the amount of merchandise/food being sold to the few remaining fans easily does not outweigh that.

If they were really greedy they would have just called it after 5 and kicked all the fans out of the stadium.