PDA

View Full Version : Game 7 of the 1975 World Series

reds44
07-21-2010, 12:01 PM
Just starting on ESPN Classic.

guttle11
07-21-2010, 12:31 PM
it's 3-0 Red Sox in the third inning. Game over. This Reds team is terrible. What a total waste of talent.

*If message boards and twitter existed in 1975.

redhawkfish
07-21-2010, 12:53 PM
Perez just hit Lee's blooper pitch about ten miles!

cumberlandreds
07-21-2010, 12:57 PM

What was really stupid was that Lee threw that blooper pitch to Perez earlier in the game. So Perez had seen it and knew how to time it. I don't know how much the Red Sox fans blamed this loss on Lee but I think he should have gotten grilled for this pitch just as much,if not more, as Buckner got it for his error in Game six of the 1986 World Series.

Degenerate39
07-21-2010, 12:59 PM
There was a game 7?!!?!?!?!?

SunDeck
07-21-2010, 01:00 PM

Yeah, I thought Carlton Fisk won the series for Boston. Need to go back and read up on this one.

westofyou
07-21-2010, 01:03 PM
get the dvd, relive the magic

George Anderson
07-21-2010, 01:12 PM

I always heard Perez's HR when it cleared the wall ended up in the back of a truck that was passing by on the freeway. The driver found it a few days later very far from Boston.

RichRed
07-21-2010, 01:16 PM
Yeah, I thought Carlton Fisk won the series for Boston. Need to go back and read up on this one.

They like to say they won that Series, 3 games to 4. Loser talk.

Big Klu
07-21-2010, 01:41 PM
That is some seriously aggressive baserunning by Pete Rose, going first to third on Red Sox golden boy Fred Lynn.

Roy Tucker
07-21-2010, 02:00 PM
Being the gloomy Gus I can be, when the Reds were down 3-0, I thought they were toast.

If Lee hadn't thrown that doofus pitch, this could have been just another WS failure for the not so Big Red Machine-era Reds.

The winds of fate can be capricious. They blew our way this time.

cumberlandreds
07-21-2010, 02:03 PM
Being the gloomy Gus I can be, when the Reds were down 3-0, I thought they were toast.

If Lee hadn't thrown that doofus pitch, this could have been just another WS failure for the not so Big Red Machine-era Reds.

The winds of fate can be capricious. They blew our way this time.

I felt the same way. I thought it was over. But after that Perez HR I knew they would come back and win it. If they hadn't have won that game Howsam may have started breaking up that team.

Roy Tucker
07-21-2010, 02:19 PM
I felt the same way. I thought it was over. But after that Perez HR I knew they would come back and win it. If they hadn't have won that game Howsam may have started breaking up that team.

Particularly after that devastating game 6 loss. I thought they had that game won and we were making celebration plans as to what bar to go to (not that I needed it, I was already about 3/4 hammered).

When Bernie Carbo juuuuuust barely fouls off strike 3 in the bottom of the 8th with 2 outs, I thought Eastwick would get him for sure. And then, wham, Carbo ties it up with a 3 run homer. It was defintely a real "oh crap" moment. When Fisk hit his GW homer, I was ready to slit my wrists.

The next day, I had both a mental and physical hangover and thought a game 7 Reds loss was a foregone conclusion. When they won, it was a "I can't believe this" moment. Kinda like when OSU won the 2002 NC game, they snatched victory from the jaws of seemingly sure defeat.

OldRightHander
07-21-2010, 02:30 PM
Well, I was a whopping 6 years old at the time and full of unbridled optimism. I was just sure that the Reds were going to win. That's just what they did; they won games. My parents were the ones who were sweating it out. When Perez went deep I gave my dad an I told you so look.

Johnny Footstool
07-21-2010, 02:46 PM
Read Joe Posnanski's book about the BRM. Pete was pacing the dugout challenging every single player on the team, cussing them out, insulting them, doing whatever he could to get them fired up. Then Tony hit his homer, and everything clicked. Kind of like Eric Davis' blast in the '90 series.

smith288
07-21-2010, 02:51 PM

Nice +1