GIDP
07-21-2010, 03:08 PM
Reds twitter says so.

BigPoppa
07-21-2010, 03:09 PM
Completely unfair to Owings.

The Voice of IH
07-21-2010, 03:11 PM
GOOD! Owings had no business on the 25 man Roster. Baker was not using him, and we where just wasting a spot in a Pen that obviously can not afford it. Fisher is a temp until Springer is ready (hopefully soon)

brm7675
07-21-2010, 03:11 PM
My question is so what, are good boy Dusty probably didn't even know he was on the roster so this is just filler until they see if that Springer guy can go. Also are we going to go another game with Rolen not being able to play, but not being replaced on the roster?

brm7675
07-21-2010, 03:12 PM
GOOD! Owings had no business on the 25 man Roster. Baker was not using him, and we where just wasting a spot in a Pen that obviously can not afford it. Fisher is a temp until Springer is ready (hopefully soon)

So it's Owings fault our manager didn't use him?:thumbdown

brm7675
07-21-2010, 03:13 PM
If I was Owings I would refuse to report, I would tell Walt to DFA me because I am not going, he has no future in this franchise as long as Dusty is here. I feel sorry for him.

arkimadee
07-21-2010, 03:13 PM
if he was good enough our manager would have used him

arkimadee
07-21-2010, 03:15 PM
If I was Owings I would refuse to report, I would tell Walt to DFA me because I am not going, he has no future in this franchise as long as Dusty is here. I feel sorry for him.
why?? he's an unreliable starter and reliever.. he has no control.. his "bat" is not what it was last year.. we have bailey who we will probably use in his role.. i don't agree with calling fisher up, but I think it's only temporary

The Voice of IH
07-21-2010, 03:16 PM

there is probably a reason why he was not used, if you are worth ANYTHING, you would be used within a 16 day period LOL

texasdave
07-21-2010, 03:16 PM
Knee jerk reaction. Let's hope Fisher pitches a heckuva lot better than he did when he was up earlier. Here are those obviously forgotten forgettable numbers:

11 IP 14 H 12 ER 9 BB 10 K 9.82 ERA 2.091 WHIP.

Not a guy that I am anxious to see come in out of the pen. I hope he proves me wrong.

The Voice of IH
07-21-2010, 03:18 PM
Knee jerk reaction. Let's hope Fisher pitches a heckuva lot better than he did when he was up earlier. Here are those obviously forgotten forgettable numbers:

Not a guy that I am anxious to see come in out of the pen. I hope he proves me wrong.

yep, he is not a guy I want to see pitching an entire inning, put him in a spot reliever type role.

brm7675
07-21-2010, 03:18 PM

He has pitched a TOTAL of like 9 innings so far this year, we have played how many games? How in the world could ANYONE, let along our grand manager know if he was good enough or not? Before last night, do you know the last time he pitched?

GIDP
07-21-2010, 03:19 PM

Must explain why Heisey and Janish never play. They are terrible.

arkimadee
07-21-2010, 03:20 PM
i love Dusty!! manager of the year baby!!! sending this team to the playoffs!!!

brm7675
there is probably a reason why he was not used, if you are worth ANYTHING, you would be used within a 16 day period LOL

Not with Dusty mananging. Janish sits the bench (when it's clear he is better then whom is starting) and our manager replaces Bruce with Nix? Come on...

The Voice of IH

no because they are back ups...

brm7675
i love Dusty!! manager of the year baby!!! sending this team to the playoffs!!!

:thumbdown

GIDP

He was also given the Owings treatment when he was up last time. He would seemingly go 3+ days between every outing. On the bright side he has been doing well in the minors. If he gets innings he probably wont be terrible.

brm7675
07-21-2010, 03:21 PM
Did J. Burton piss someone off in the main office, or our "grand" manager to not get a call up over Fisher?

GIDP

Yea if they were better they would play more. Dont blame the manager for not using them, its obvious if they were good he would. Need to get rid of those guys and Owings. Simply cant play.

Jefferson24
I'm in favor of him going down, not because he sucks but because he needs the work. He isn't going to get the innings in Cincinnati so let him throw in Louisville.

Maybe he'll get some work and show us something in Louisville.

arkimadee
07-21-2010, 03:22 PM
:thumbdown
are you giving thumbs down to us making the playoffs??? would you be mad if dusty got manager of the year??

brm7675
07-21-2010, 03:22 PM

Which in one case is better then the guy starting, and in the second case doesn't warrent seeing little playing time and having Nix given playing time over him.

arkimadee
07-21-2010, 03:23 PM
Yea if they were better they would play more. Dont blame the manager for not using them, its obvious if they were good he would. Need to get rid of those guys and Owings. Simply cant play.

GIDP
I'm in favor of him going down, not because he sucks but because he needs the work. He isn't going to get the innings in Cincinnati so let him throw in Louisville.

Agree. If he isnt getting used here he has no role. If dusty doesnt want to use him until he thinks hes going to get 3 innings out of him hes going to be waiting a long time considering how good our starting staff has been.

brm7675
are you giving thumbs down to us making the playoffs??? would you be mad if dusty got manager of the year??

I would hurl to see Dusty win MOTY when in truth he couldn't manage his son's little league team. As for the playoffs, if the talent continues to outshine the moves of their manager then yes we have a good shot.:thumbup:

arkimadee
07-21-2010, 03:24 PM
I would hurl to see Dusty win MOTY when in truth he couldn't manage his son's little league team. As for the playoffs, if the talent continues to outshine the moves of their manager then yes we have a good shot.:thumbup:
so if we won the world series you would not give dusty any credit at all??

The Voice of IH
07-21-2010, 03:24 PM

if they were better, they would be starters....and play a TON more. Next year Janish will be playing a TON don't you worry about him.

BTW CONGRATS ON 5000, it is an Honor to be part of it ;):thumbup:

texasdave
07-21-2010, 03:25 PM
yep, he is not a guy I want to see pitching an entire inning, put him in a spot reliever type role.

If he is taking Owings' spot I am assuming he is also taking Owings' role.

GIDP
07-21-2010, 03:27 PM
if they were better, they would be starters....and play a TON more. Next year Janish will be playing a TON don't you worry about him.

They simply arent given much playing time at all. You cant say its because they arent good enough. Its Dustys style. He is set in his ways. He wont use Owings because hes the long man, doesnt matter if they dont need a long man, Owings will only pitch when there is a long man role. Janish is only a glove to dusty, he wont play unless he needs a glove. Heisey is a rookie who got his call up because of an injury, its obvious he's not ready to play in the majors.

brm7675
07-21-2010, 03:27 PM
so if we won the world series you would not give dusty any credit at all??

:thumbup::thumbup:

brm7675
07-21-2010, 03:29 PM

Not true, Janish is a better all around player then Orlando at this point. The little difference better Orlando brings to the plate is way offset by how horrible he is in the field. Janish should be the starter, Orlando the bench player.

brm7675
07-21-2010, 03:30 PM
If he is taking Owings' spot I am assuming he is also taking Owings' role.

Which I believe is bullpen towel boy?;)

texasdave
07-21-2010, 03:36 PM

This might be a possibility. But the timing is curious. Owings has one bad outing after four scoreless ones and NOW he needs to get regular work in Louisville? You may be right, but I am still thinking knee jerk.

brm7675
07-21-2010, 03:37 PM
This might be a possibility. But the timing is curious. Owings has one bad outing after four scoreless ones and NOW he needs to get regular work in Louisville? You may be right, but I am still thinking knee jerk.

Again ANOTHER PROBLEM with our manager...:thumbdown

markymark69
07-21-2010, 03:41 PM
They simply arent given much playing time at all. You cant say its because they arent good enough. Its Dustys style. He is set in his ways. He wont use Owings because hes the long man, doesnt matter if they dont need a long man, Owings will only pitch when there is a long man role. Janish is only a glove to dusty, he wont play unless he needs a glove. Heisey is a rookie who got his call up because of an injury, its obvious he's not ready to play in the majors.

Some good points. People can argue that there were places that Owings could have been used, his example is a pretty good one in what can happen when you have good starting pitching that takes you deep into ballgames. I believe that's the number one reason why he was so little used. He was just not needed - so therefore he wasn't used because of good starting and defined roles in the bullpen, which is very common.

I like Owings and I thought there were some spots where he should have been used and wasn't, but I also know that's the life of a long man. It's a tough spot. Hope he can get into sync at Louisville and come back and help us.

I agree with your point on Janish and I just know about Heisey. Obviously there's something, maybe they feel like he best fits the pinch hitting role, which he has done well this season.

GIDP
07-21-2010, 03:50 PM
I agree with sending Owings out because of how good the pitching has been.

They are averaging 6 innings per game all year, and havent had a starter go less than 6 since Wood on July 5th going on 3 days rest in New York. Before that it was Cueto against the Cubs on the 3rd, and going even farther it was Arroyo on june 27th.

So in the last 20 games the Reds have had the starter go 6 innings or more in every start but 3, and with out going back and rechecking I think they went at least 5 in every one of them but 1.

brm7675
07-21-2010, 03:56 PM
What says Owings has to be a long man?

bgwilly31
07-21-2010, 03:57 PM
He has pitched a TOTAL of like 9 innings so far this year, we have played how many games? How in the world could ANYONE, let along our grand manager know if he was good enough or not? Before last night, do you know the last time he pitched?

he was only able to get in 9 IP becuase everytime we gave him as hot he proceeded to walk 2 straight guys and get himself in trouble.

I remember all kinds of hype on this owings guy. i even made a famous 15pg long thread on it. Everybody thought this guy was going to be something.

texasdave

They are averaging 6 innings per game all year, and havent had a starter go less than 6 since Wood on July 5th going on 3 days rest in New York. Before that it was Cueto against the Cubs on the 3rd, and going even farther it was Arroyo on june 27th.

So in the last 20 games the Reds have had the starter go 6 innings or more in every start but 3, and with out going back and rechecking I think they went at least 5 in every one of them but 1.

If there isn't enough innings for everyone because the starters are going so deep into games, send Owings out and bring up a bat. Especially since the team is already playing one man short because of the Rolen situation. If you absolutely need an emergency arm there is always Janish. You know he is gonna be available on the bench. =)

GIDP

If my choice of middle inning guys was Owings or Fisher im going with Fisher, but the point is valid in that why would Dusty save Owings for that situation. It's probably because Dusty sets guys in roles and hates moving them out of them.

krm1580
07-21-2010, 04:07 PM
he was only able to get in 9 IP becuase everytime we gave him as hot he proceeded to walk 2 straight guys and get himself in trouble.

I remember all kinds of hype on this owings guy. i even made a famous 15pg long thread on it. Everybody thought this guy was going to be something.

Not everybody;)

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1720537#post1720537

brm7675
07-21-2010, 04:11 PM

If you review his overall limited performance, you will see he was more times effective then not effective. You also have to take into account the limited action he saw and had Dusty used him and the bullpen correctly, the chances are his numbers would have even been better.

Red in Atl
07-21-2010, 04:14 PM
Owings blows. He wore out his welcome in Arizona and now he has here. He's not a kid. So send him down, let him start in Triple A, show he can pitch and use him as trade bait. He has no future here.

brm7675
07-21-2010, 04:23 PM
Owings blows. He wore out his welcome in Arizona and now he has here. He's not a kid. So send him down, let him start in Triple A, show he can pitch and use him as trade bait. He has no future here.

how do we know, he hasn't been allowed to show one way or the other? Also, Orlando pretty much blows also yet he keeps finding his way into the starting lineup each day....

brm7675
07-21-2010, 04:43 PM
What if Owings tells the Reds, I am not going to report. Either trade me or DFA because I won't be showing up in Louisville anytime soon.

bshall2105
07-21-2010, 04:51 PM
What if Owings tells the Reds, I am not going to report. Either trade me or DFA because I won't be showing up in Louisville anytime soon.

If he says that he'll be looking for a new team pretty quickly.

Vottomatic
07-21-2010, 04:56 PM
Ridiculous stupid move that makes me angry at Dusty.

What pitcher is sharp when they haven't pitched in 16 days??????

Our manager is an ignoramous, period.

Completely unfair to Micah.

brm7675
07-21-2010, 04:56 PM
If he says that he'll be looking for a new team pretty quickly.

If you were Owings would you want to stay with this organization?

brm7675
07-21-2010, 04:57 PM
Ridiculous stupid move that makes me angry at Dusty.

What pitcher is sharp when they haven't pitched in 16 days??????

Our manager is an ignoramous, period.

Completely unfair to Micah.

Sing it brother....:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Vottomatic
07-21-2010, 04:58 PM
how do we know, he hasn't been allowed to show one way or the other? Also, Orlando pretty much blows also yet he keeps finding his way into the starting lineup each day....

Dusty is the one that blows. :rolleyes:

couch_manager
07-21-2010, 04:59 PM
Does this move really matter? Neither of them are very good. Are you guys really defending Micah's 25 walks in 33 innings? At least Fisher throws strikes albeit they usually end up as HR's in the seats.

Vottomatic
07-21-2010, 05:00 PM
If you were Owings would you want to stay with this organization?

Probably a blessing in disguise for Micah. But completely unfair by the Reds, and completely unfair the way Dusty did or more exactly, didn't use him.

I hope they let him start in triple A, and maybe that's the plan. He goes down and puts up some good stats as a starter, and makes himself good trade bait.

Then ends up in the starting rotation of another team, which I assume is what Micah would want anyway.

brm7675
07-21-2010, 05:02 PM
Does this move really matter? Neither of them are very good. Are you guys really defending Micah's 25 walks in 33 innings? At least Fisher throws strikes albeit they usually end up as HR's in the seats.

yes it matters, and again is proof how Dusty can't manage a bullpen.:thumbdown

Vottomatic
07-21-2010, 05:03 PM

Very easy to defend his walks when he doesn't get enough work to begin with. Then you see other guys trotted out there too much.

This one is on Dusty.

Do I think it's a critical move in terms of the big picture of the Reds roster? No.
Do I think it's unfair to Micah, when he didn't get used enough in games as a reliever to stay sharp? Absolutely.

But as I said in the other post, maybe he's better off going down, starting, putting up some good stats and making himself some serious trade bait. :beerme:

rolenmvp
07-21-2010, 05:04 PM
here we are...worried over a simple move and we are 1/2 game out of first place and leading the wildcard. relax..:)

sivman17
07-21-2010, 05:07 PM
Owings isn't a very good pitcher. Back on June 15 against LAD he gave up 5 H and 5 ER in 1.1 innings. He had pitched on June 11, June 4, and May 30 before that. What is your excuse for that terrible outing? He was used too much?

Come on.. we all know he isn't a good pitcher. He is prone to outings like last night. He was put in against a bad team with the game out of reach and he couldn't pitch. I don't see how this relates to him not pitching in a game in 16 days.

Leake went 11 days between games and he was dominant.

sivman17
07-21-2010, 05:12 PM
Also, for his career he has a 0.83 GO/AO ratio. This season it is .66, which means he's giving up a lot more fly balls than normally. This does not bode well in GABP.

Perhaps that's why he has an 8.69 ERA at home (19.2 IP) and 0.66 ERA on the road (13.2 IP). Perhaps that's why he sucked last night and he's no longer on the team.

Vottomatic
07-21-2010, 05:14 PM
Also, for his career he has a 0.83 GO/AO ratio. This season it is .66, which means he's giving up a lot more fly balls than normally. This does not bode well in GABP.

Perhaps that's why he has an 8.69 ERA at home (19.2 IP) and 0.66 ERA on the road (13.2 IP). Perhaps that's why he sucked last night and he's no longer on the team.

Uh, no.........Leake pitched June 21st at Oakland, went 6 innings and gave up 1 earned run. Got skipped in the rotation, pitched again on June 29th, and gave up 6 earned runs to the Phillies.

Not pitching enough causes a pitcher to not stay sharp.

brm7675
07-21-2010, 05:15 PM

Or could it be the 16 days since he last pitched?

GIDP
07-21-2010, 05:15 PM
Honestly when you arent a great pitcher to start with its easy to see why he has struggled in his role. Makes an average pitcher look very bad. Especially one like Owings that for the most part isnt a dominating pitcher. Walking guys and having bad command is ultimately his downfall. That is likely compounded by him getting so little innings.

sivman17
07-21-2010, 05:19 PM
Or could it be the 16 days since he last pitched?

How does that have anything to do with his splits? Even if you take out last night's game he still has a 7.10 ERA at home.

He has given up 3 HRs at home, none on the road.

Whether or not he sucked last night because he hadn't pitched in a game in 16 days, he still isn't very good.

Vottomatic
07-21-2010, 05:21 PM
I blame Dusty. Every time Owings is going well and starts to get hit a bit, Dusty does what he did to Arroyo a few times last year........leaves him in to get destroyed.

If it's one of Dusty's favorites, he won't do that, because he'll protect his favorite players' stats.

It's so obvious if you watch his stupid managing skills.

brm7675
07-21-2010, 05:21 PM
How does that have anything to do with his splits? Even if you take out last night's game he still has a 7.10 ERA at home.

He has given up 3 HRs at home, none on the road.

Whether or not he sucked last night because he hadn't pitched in a game in 16 days, he still isn't very good.

We don't know if he is or not, he was used enough to really know. Again another fault with our manager and his inability to properly use his bullpen.:thumbdown

sivman17
07-21-2010, 05:22 PM
Uh, no.........Leake pitched June 21st at Oakland, went 6 innings and gave up 1 earned run. Got skipped in the rotation, pitched again on June 29th, and gave up 6 earned runs to the Phillies.

Not pitching enough causes a pitcher to not stay sharp.

You think 8 days caused him to pitch poorly against the Phillies? He just went 11 days and he pitched great!

sivman17
07-21-2010, 05:25 PM
I don't understand all the commotion with the Micah Owings situation. He wasn't used much, but he also wasn't having a very good season. He's not a very good pitcher, and frankly, I wouldn't want him to be pitching in more games.

This team doesn't need a guy whose sole purpose is "long relief." We need quality arms in the bullpen. Micah doesn't make the cut.

TStuck
07-21-2010, 05:34 PM
Micah's problem is and always has been that he is maddeningly inconsistent. When he's on - it's apparent that he has talent. But when he's not (like last night) you might as well yank him immediately because it's gonna blow up quick. If you look at his career stats, he is what he is - a guy who is prone to struggle getting the ball over the plate consistently.
Don't get me wrong, I'm definitely not saying "Micah sux" or anything like that, but it's not like we just sent down Cy Young. Right now, I'd definitely rather have Ondrusek or Smith pitching in the 6th or 7th. So Micah was doomed to sit......Dusty has better options for the 6th and 7th and thanks to solid starting pitching we haven't had the need for a long man (which is a good thing people!!!) For a moment, just step back and enjoy the wonder of having a decent pitching staff! This is not like years past. Stop wringing your hands over a guy who was not better than the 11th or 12th man on the staff. If Micah gets things back together and show some consistency in Louisville, he'll get more opportunities - either here or elsewhere. Meanwhile enjoy the pennant race.

brm7675
07-21-2010, 05:35 PM
Micah's problem is and always has been that he is maddeningly inconsistent. When he's on - it's apparent that he has talent. But when he's not (like last night) you might as well yank him immediately because it's gonna blow up quick. If you look at his career stats, he is what he is - a guy who is prone to struggle getting the ball over the plate consistently.
Don't get me wrong, I'm definitely not saying "Micah sux" or anything like that, but it's not like we just sent down Cy Young. Right now, I'd definitely rather have Ondrusek or Smith pitching in the 6th or 7th. So Micah was doomed to sit......Dusty has better options for the 6th and 7th and thanks to solid starting pitching we haven't had the need for a long man (which is a good thing people!!!) For a moment, just step back and enjoy the wonder of having a decent pitching staff! This is not like years past. Stop wringing your hands over a guy who was not better than the 11th or 12th man on the staff. If Micah gets things back together and show some consistency in Louisville, he'll get more opportunities - either here or elsewhere. Meanwhile enjoy the pennant race.

This moves shows a pattern, that is what is the problem.

arkimadee
07-21-2010, 05:37 PM
that's what she said

arkimadee
07-21-2010, 05:38 PM
This could be good for Micah though. He can go down and get some innings and be ready for the September callups

sivman17
07-21-2010, 05:39 PM
One thing that confuses me about Micah being labeled as the "long man" is that when he does pitch, he hardly throws more one inning or so.

In 8 of his last 10 outings, he has pitched 1.1 innings or fewer. Now, some of those outings he did pretty well, others not so much. My question is: if he is our supposed long man then how come he never pitches more than an inning or so? Any other reliever can do that.

TStuck
07-21-2010, 05:42 PM
Let's just leave it at this....
I strongly disagree with you and all of your conspiracy theories. Dusty could part the Red Sea, cure cancer, and crap gold nuggets and you'd still find a reason to hate him. I don't agree with some of his decisions either, but I'll at least acknowledge this team is in a position it hasn't been for a long time. As a fan, that's what I ultimately want. Besides, personnel decisions are ultimately Jocketty's call. It's not like Dusty has ultimate say on this transaction.

TStuck
07-21-2010, 05:45 PM
One thing that confuses me about Micah being labeled as the "long man" is that when he does pitch, he hardly throws more one inning or so.

In 8 of his last 10 outings, he has pitched 1.1 innings or fewer. Now, some of those outings he did pretty well, others not so much. My question is: if he is our supposed long man then how come he never pitches more than an inning or so? Any other reliever can do that.

Siv....my simple answer is this. We haven't needed a long man this year. Starters have been going 6+ innings pretty routinely. When you don't have starters getting bombed in the first 2 or 3 innings you don't need a mop-up guy to come in and throw 3 or 4 innings at a time. It's a great problem to have.

sabometrics
07-21-2010, 05:47 PM
People are ripping management because of this move? Owings just flat out hasn't been good this year. Hell he has never been a really good piece of this club since we got him. He has a 1.59 WHIP over the last two years with an ERA north of 5 and has shown a penchant for not being able to throw strikes. He was useful last year as a swing man who could start here and there as well as relieve. With our deep starting pitching this year he's useless in that role, and he has proven to be less than satisfactory in the pen.

He's had his fair share of chances in the majors and just hasn't performed. Fisher hasn't either, but he hasn't had as many chances and continues to shine in AAA. Lets see what Carlos can do.

kfm
07-21-2010, 05:55 PM

He does need the work and this is a tough gig considering how well the Reds starters have pitched. This is just not a good fit for Owings. I am not sure what is a good fit for him, but clearly on this team this role was not working out.

Red in Atl
07-21-2010, 05:56 PM

Really? He hasn't been given a chance? He's had two ST'ings to be a starter. He's been given umpteen opp's to pinch hit, but he still opens his stance and gives away half the plate.

I'd say he's got talent, but he's not really teachable. Two organizations and still not important enough to make the 25 man roster on this team.

Not saying he can't play baseball, just that we have too much talent for him to find a place on this team.

My opinion is not based on last night, it's based on watching almost every game for the last three years on MLB channel. We don't need him.

sivman17
07-21-2010, 06:02 PM
The only problem with Owings pitching in AAA is that he could be absolutely lights out, but we all know his talent at the big league level. Fisher is in the same boat. He dominates in AAA, but struggles up here.

It's good that Owings is getting the work, but no matter how he does it won't mean much for his future in the bigs, at least with the Reds.

Kingspoint
07-21-2010, 07:53 PM
Completely unfair to Owings.

Without a doubt.

Now, who's going to the "the Dusty treatment" and never be used?

Kingspoint
07-21-2010, 07:54 PM

I would, too.

He's a bonafide Major League pitcher.

He should be playing and playing often.

Kingspoint
07-21-2010, 07:55 PM

Not our Manager.

Kingspoint
07-21-2010, 07:56 PM

Not true.

There are a lot of idiots that get paychecks from Major League baseball teams and Dusty is one of them.

Kingspoint
07-21-2010, 07:57 PM

Yes. The same reasons must be true for these guys for all of the Baker apologists who are dissing on Owings.

Kingspoint
07-21-2010, 07:58 PM

I agree.

But, to Walt's credit, he's removing a tool from Baker that he wasn't using and giving him a tool he might use.

ILoveWilly
07-21-2010, 08:04 PM
Good move, if that is, Owings is going to pitch in the rotation. The fact is, some guys aren't pen guys. He's not. Once upon a time in the hellish days of Jimmy Haynes Her Way and Danny "Dig your own" Graves anchoring the rotation, Owings would have been our best starter. I think he's still a solid 4-5 starter in the league, and has some pop in his bat.

This is best for all involved. It makes no sense to have a bullpen guy we never use, wasting a roster spot, and who isn't getting better by the same token. It's doing both sides a disservice. I hope he can get it together he could be a key asset to the Bats resurgence.

Kingspoint
07-21-2010, 08:04 PM
iNext year Janish will be playing a TON don't you worry about him.

Not if Dusty gets an extention. And, how does a manager not get an extension that leads his team to it's first playoff appearance in over a decade?

Kingspoint
07-21-2010, 08:17 PM

The REDS are now up to 7th in the National League in "Average Game Score". They were ranked 14th for most of the season including as recently as 7 weeks ago.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/leagues/NL/2010-starter-pitching.shtml

RedsFanInBama
07-22-2010, 03:11 AM
You'd think that Reds fans would have nothing to complain about to be spending so much effort complaining over Micah freaking Owings. The guy is not very good and certainly is not worth getting worked up over.

Carlos Fisher is bad as well but I don't think he'll be here long, especially with Bailey and Harang coming back soon.

redsfanmia
07-22-2010, 11:47 AM
If Owings is not going to pitch he should have been the first right handed bat off the bench. I don't hate on Dusty too much but I do not understand how he just lets Janish and Owings rot and never play them.

TheBigLebowski
07-22-2010, 11:53 AM
We're having a nice season so far...playoffs definitely a possibility....but it's just so darned hard to lay off Dusty. This makes no sense. Tim Birtsas agrees.

kfm
07-22-2010, 06:38 PM
You'd think that Reds fans would have nothing to complain about to be spending so much effort complaining over Micah freaking Owings. The guy is not very good and certainly is not worth getting worked up over.

Carlos Fisher is bad as well but I don't think he'll be here long, especially with Bailey and Harang coming back soon.

Dude you are so right. I just don't get it. What is the obsession with this guy? He is the long man on a team who has good starters. This is his role, this may come as a shock to some people, but there are long men on other teams who pitch in long men situations and that is pretty much it. Bullpens thrive on knowing what their roles are and then being ready when their time comes. I think we have learned that Micah cannot handle this role, it is a hard role and he is not very good at it. This is the best thing for him. I mean come on, do you really think there is another fan board out there complaining that there long man doesn't get into the games enough, its like arguing that your practice squad quarterback should be your starter.

brm7675
07-22-2010, 06:52 PM
People are ripping management because of this move? Owings just flat out hasn't been good this year. Hell he has never been a really good piece of this club since we got him. He has a 1.59 WHIP over the last two years with an ERA north of 5 and has shown a penchant for not being able to throw strikes. He was useful last year as a swing man who could start here and there as well as relieve. With our deep starting pitching this year he's useless in that role, and he has proven to be less than satisfactory in the pen.

He's had his fair share of chances in the majors and just hasn't performed. Fisher hasn't either, but he hasn't had as many chances and continues to shine in AAA. Lets see what Carlos can do.

Maybe if he had actually been used right his numbers would be better, but we all know and everyone admits our manager has ZERO ability in managing a bullpen successfully.:thumbdown

Hondo
07-22-2010, 08:26 PM
Maybe if he had actually been used right his numbers would be better, but we all know and everyone admits our manager has ZERO ability in managing a bullpen successfully.:thumbdown

What? Are you saying Dusty doesnt know how to use Pitchers?

Well a couple years ago he used Aaron Harang and Edinson Volquez in a 16 Inning Game against San Diego and nothing happened drastic to either one of them...

What in Carnation are you talking about? ;)