PDA

View Full Version : Dusty and a contract extension

bucksfan2
07-22-2010, 03:29 PM
http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/2010/07/22/reds-baker-to-talk-contract-in-august/

Discuss.

I actually think Dusty has done a pretty good job with this Reds club. He may not be more "old school" than many like, but I also think he has overseen the club as they have gone from afterthoughts to contenders.

That said I would hesitate to give him an extension until at least late August. The last think I would want to happen is to extend Dusty for another 3 years only to see the team tank down the stretch. I remember Narron and Boone both got extensions way too early and the Reds were stuck eating their respective contracts.

I would hope for a 2 year max extension and wouldn't want to go any further than that. I don't want to see anything similar to what SD did. While I think a manager often gets too much blame (and credit if you will) I do think there are times when the situation becomes stale and new blood is needed. If the Reds end up 10+ games over .500 this season I wouldn't have an issue with Dusty being the manager through the 2012 season. Anything longer than that would be a mistake.

Falls City Beer
07-22-2010, 03:36 PM
Dusty's gotten as much out of this club as is likely possible. But I'd rather not listen to people grouse about him next year, so I probably wouldn't extend him.

Cedric
07-22-2010, 03:38 PM
Dusty's gotten as much out of this club as is likely possible. But I'd rather not listen to people grouse about him next year, so I probably wouldn't extend him.

He's rode some extreme luck on a decent team. I don't understand paying big money for a manager.. Ever.

Falls City Beer
07-22-2010, 03:40 PM
He's rode some extreme luck on a decent team. I don't understand paying big money for a manager.. Ever.

Call it luck, call it what you will. My take is that the most a manager can do is hurt a club by overtinkering. To that end, Dusty's gotten out of the team's way and let them play as well as they can. In other words, he does what a good manager does. But yeah, I have no real desire to pay a manager big bucks.

BRM
07-22-2010, 03:59 PM

People will grouse about the replacement too. It's the nature of the beast. I agree with your first point though.

The Voice of IH
07-22-2010, 04:02 PM
The Reds have been gotten better and better every year under Dusty, but you have got to remember the rotation next year (or at least I hope is the rotation)

Volquez
Cueto
Leake
Wood
Chapman (if he is ready, Arroyo if he is not)

If the accusations are true, and Baker does not know how to use and keep young arms healthy, this is not the team for him.

Redlegs
07-22-2010, 05:27 PM
Dusty's done a GREAT job. He deserves an extention. Period.

Redhook
07-22-2010, 10:14 PM
I'd prefer they let him and spend the money elsewhere. Dusty may be a good clubhouse presence, but he's not very bright when it comes to game-management, line-up construction, and bullpen usage.

Red in Chicago
07-22-2010, 10:17 PM
let him go back to the cubs;)

reds44
07-22-2010, 10:25 PM
He deserves an extension. That's all that really needs to be said.

REDblooded
07-22-2010, 10:40 PM
Dusty's done a GREAT job. He deserves an extention. Period.

This line of thought is insane... He's gotten some great play, and with the Cardinals really only being a so-so team this season it's made him look better than he is...

He still makes horrible line-up decisions that outweigh any solid managing he's done thus far... I tried to give him a pass in the first half, but with guys getting hurt, some of his roster decisions have been baffling to say the least...

Also, his grinding of Coco's arm in April, and the same with Bailey last season have proven to have their effect...

REDblooded
07-22-2010, 10:41 PM
I'd prefer they let him and spend the money elsewhere. Dusty may be a good clubhouse presence, but he's not very bright when it comes to game-management, line-up construction, and bullpen usage.

This...

He would make one heck of a bench coach... But as a guy that's expected to make all of the right moves, he comes out looking lost at times...

KronoRed
07-22-2010, 11:01 PM
Name Rolen manager, spent the dusty money elsewhere.

corkedbat
07-22-2010, 11:28 PM
I get as frustrated as anyone with Dusty, but if you axe the maanger for a team's underachievement then conversely, Dusty probably deserves an extension for this season. I'll join other's in not liking the salary - Dusty or anyone else.

kaldaniels
07-22-2010, 11:31 PM
Voice of reason here. If the Reds have a winning record at season's end, Dusty will come back if he chooses to. You just don't fire/let go a manager who has guided you to your franchise's first winning record in over a decade. So get it all out of your system now, because if the Reds have a winning record and Walt extends Dusty that doesn't make Walt incompetent.

kaldaniels
07-22-2010, 11:33 PM
Name Rolen manager, spent the dusty money elsewhere.

I don't know how serious you are, but I'd love to see the player-manager come back at some point...just out of sheer curiosity really to see how it plays out. Too young to observe/appreciate that when Pete did that in the 80s.

The Voice of IH
07-22-2010, 11:42 PM
I don't know how serious you are, but I'd love to see the player-manager come back at some point...just out of sheer curiosity really to see how it plays out. Too young to observe/appreciate that when Pete did that in the 80s.

Was thinking the same thing lol +1

WVRedsFan
07-23-2010, 12:05 AM
It pains me to say this, but if the club finishes 9-10 over .500 this year--about where they are now, there is no way they won't sign Dusty to an extention. You have two choices, hope the team tanks so Dusty will be fired or hope we win and just live with him being our manager.

RedsManRick
07-23-2010, 12:23 AM
I think maybe we should should see how the next few months play out. Personally, I'd love to have Dusty on my bench. I just don't want him filling out the lineup card and managing the bullpen.

KronoRed
07-23-2010, 01:46 AM

I'm always serious :cool:

Ron Madden
07-23-2010, 02:40 AM
What's the hurry? Dusty aint going anywhere, he's under contract.

There is no need to give him an extension in early August, just wait and see how the 2010 season plays out. If Bob and Walt believe he deserves an extension then would be the time to do it. (JMHO)

Ron Madden
07-23-2010, 03:45 AM
I'm always serious :cool:

Are you sayin' that you say what you mean and mean what you say?

;)

GAC
07-23-2010, 04:35 AM
This FO won't make any decision till after the season. Let's see how the team finishes.

Redsfan320
07-23-2010, 09:29 AM
Scott Rolen for player-manager. :cool:

Slyder
07-23-2010, 11:47 AM
What about Corky for manager? Former Catchers seem to do well in the roll (Mike Scossia, Joe Torre, Joe Girardi, Johnny Oates, Jim Leyland). Thoughts? I still say that this teams personel is not suited for Dusty due to the relative youth.

westofyou
07-23-2010, 11:50 AM
What about Corky for manager? Former Catchers seem to do well in the roll (Mike Scossia, Joe Torre, Joe Girardi, Johnny Oates, Jim Leyland). Thoughts? I still say that this teams personel is not suited for Dusty due to the relative youth.

How about Corky managing in the ML 1st?

I say that Dusty is really good with young guys, they all seem to love him... BTW Torre was the last player manager before Pete.

That ship has sailed, my bet is you'll never see another one in your lifetime, the stakes (and the job) are too big these days.

pedro
07-23-2010, 11:57 AM

What are his qualifications exactly?

westofyou
07-23-2010, 11:58 AM
What are his qualifications exactly?

He has Phil Garners mustache

pedro
07-23-2010, 11:59 AM
What's the hurry? Dusty aint going anywhere, he's under contract.

There is no need to give him an extension in early August, just wait and see how the 2010 season plays out. If Bob and Walt believe he deserves an extension then would be the time to do it. (JMHO)

That's how I feel.

George Anderson
07-23-2010, 12:07 PM
BTW Torre was the last player manager before Pete.

I thought it was Don Kessinger.

westofyou
07-23-2010, 12:15 PM
I thought it was Don Kessinger.

Good god, I forgot about his 100 game tryout in 79... of course look who replaced him.

Good catch

Bumstead
07-23-2010, 04:15 PM
Well, I'm not sure I understand how Dusty has "earned" an extension. He was paid over $3M a year and the Reds have been in contention finally in his 3rd year. Seems like he was paid an awful lot to finish at the bottom or middle of the pack the last 2 years. Maybe this year he is finally "earning" his current paycheck. I think the Reds need to find a manager that will mesh well with a young, talented pitching staff; I'm not sold on that being Dusty.

Bum

hebroncougar
07-31-2010, 08:54 AM
I don't like Dusty. Players evidently do. If he wants an extension, he needs to prove he can make a tough decision. Like rearranging roles in the bullpen. If he continues to beat his head against a wall, he needs to go. Come on Dusty, Ken Macha can do it, you can too.

RichRed
08-06-2010, 03:29 PM
Extension talks could be underway.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20100806&content_id=13098560&notebook_id=13099264&vkey=notebook_cin&fext=.jsp&c_id=cin

BearcatShane
08-06-2010, 03:34 PM
If the Reds have a winning record, I bet Dusty gets an extention.

REDREAD
08-06-2010, 03:39 PM
It looks like the Reds are finally not a laughing stock this year.

I wouldn't want to risk tinkering with the formula and canning Dusty.

A lot has been said about how the players like Dusty, how Rolen and Cabbera have changed the clubhouse, etc.

I don't want to go back to the Days with Danny Graves and the other laid back players that really didn't care if the team won or not.. That's what you get when you hire guys like Narron and the other minimum wage clowns we've had.

Dusty gives this team credibility. That's important for getting guys like Rolen to agree to come here and take less, etc.

After Lindner/Allen, the Reds are finally getting some crediblity.. Firing Dusty after running a contending team would make the Reds look like a joke.
Heck, even John Allen was forced to give McKeon an extension after 1999, despite wanting to fire Jack to save a couple hundred grand.

redsmetz
08-06-2010, 03:43 PM
It will be the first time a manager has made it to the 4th year since Pete Rose, although he was suspended during his 4th season and banned in his 5th. Before that it was McNamara who was fired during his 4th season. It is long past due having some stability at the helm. I know this isn't a popular position around here, but Baker has done a good job.

BoydsOfSummer
08-06-2010, 03:54 PM
Unfortunately it is inevitable that Duhsty signs an extension.

RedsManRick
08-06-2010, 03:55 PM
Unfortunately it is inevitable that Dusty signs an extension.

Agreed.

redsmetz
08-06-2010, 03:57 PM
So Baker has us in the race and it would be unfortunate to extend him? Do you all just love this revolving door we've seen over the last 20+ years?

BearcatShane
08-06-2010, 04:00 PM
I honestly don't mind Dusty. I know his lineups are frustarting sometimes and he will make a questionable bullpen decision from time to time but I think if the Reds continue to win this year and if they win at least 85 games he deserves an extention. No matter who the manager is there will be complaints. Thats just how baseball is.

BoydsOfSummer
08-06-2010, 04:07 PM
So Baker has us in the race and it would be unfortunate to extend him? Do you all just love this revolving door we've seen over the last 20+ years?

It broke my heart when Castellini hired Dusty Baker. I didn't like him before the hire and I like him less now. I'm not one to ***** and moan about managers much, until now.

RichRed
08-06-2010, 04:08 PM
I used to be a rabid anti-Dustite, until I realized that every manager makes decisions that are maddening to a fan base. Leyland batted Neifi Perez leadoff. Torre has some real head-scratchers. Piniella bats Soto 8th. Francona has all but legally adopted Darnell McDonald.

It just isn't worth getting worked up over any more.

BoydsOfSummer
08-06-2010, 04:13 PM
I believe Duhsty ran Neifi out to leadoff 125 games or so as well. In fact I believe it was Dusty instead of Leyland.

RichRed
08-06-2010, 04:18 PM
I believe Duhsty ran Neifi out to leadoff 125 games or so as well. In fact I believe it was Dusty instead of Leyland.

Leyland did it with the Tigers. Not often, but he did it. My point is plenty of managers do baffling things.

sabometrics
08-06-2010, 04:25 PM
We've got a good package going on right now. Dusty is a key part of that package, regardless of the naysayers. You can't tell a manager that a team has learned to respect, fight hard for, and win regularly for to beat it. They all have their shortcomings.

KronoRed
08-06-2010, 04:48 PM
Leyland did it with the Tigers. Not often, but he did it. My point is plenty of managers do baffling things.

Not 125 times though :D

Eric_the_Red
08-06-2010, 05:36 PM
I wish Redszone had an auto-ignore feature for any posts that contain the phrase "Duhsty".

westofyou
08-06-2010, 05:52 PM
I wish Redszone had an auto-ignore feature for any posts that contain the phrase "Duhsty".

Quoted for truth.

Brutus
08-06-2010, 05:55 PM
Quoted for truth.

Quoted for redundancy of the truth.

BoydsOfSummer
08-06-2010, 07:20 PM
Bash the Dusty bashers. Awesome!

RedLegSuperStar
08-06-2010, 07:47 PM
I haven't read any post prior to this page; but I would rather wait till the offseason to discuss an extension. Their is a guy who's wife is from the area that is potentiallly be availible. That manager is Joe Torre. Would he come here? Maybe. Don Mattingly is another name. Bobby Valentine. Joe Girardi. Just saying that there could potentially be a better option the Dusty.. But maybe not.

Cedric
08-06-2010, 07:48 PM
I haven't read any post prior to this page; but I would rather wait till the offseason to discuss an extension. Their is a guy who's wife is from the area that is potentiallly be availible. That manager is Joe Torre. Would he come here? Maybe. Don Mattingly is another name. Bobby Valentine. Joe Girardi. Just saying that there could potentially be a better option the Dusty.. But maybe not.

Joe Torre is a horrendous manager in the NL.

Sea Ray
08-06-2010, 08:20 PM
I have two comments to make

1) With the talent the Reds have assembled and what they have in the pipeline, this is now a coveted job. Dusty would be foolish to walk away from it now. If he does, others will be falling over themselves to get a crack at this gig. There is no reason to go back to Pete MacKanin or Dave Miley

2) Don't think Dusty had thoughts during today's game like "Man, I'm glad I'm in this dugout and not the manager in blue"?

Ron Madden
08-07-2010, 01:48 AM
Let's cross that bridge when we get to it.

I don't think Dusty is going anywhere, deal with it at seasons end.

Redhook
08-07-2010, 06:48 PM
I hope for 2 things: 1) they wait until the season is over to decide on anything and 2) what they decide involves bringing in anyone other than Dusty. They're winning in spite of him. I truly believe that.

westofyou
08-07-2010, 06:52 PM
The Giants won over 100 games his 1st year and they went to the series his last, both were probably in spite of him. In 96 they lost 94 games, that was all his fault.

Do I have that correct?

redsmetz
08-07-2010, 07:23 PM

If the Reds ever hired Joe Girardi, I'd stop going to the games. Period.

westofyou
08-07-2010, 07:26 PM

Could he be any worse than Rogers Hornsby, Don Hefner or Vern Rapp?

Just an egregious attempt to bring up managers with bad reputations who ended up in Cincinnati .

Jpup
08-08-2010, 07:12 AM

Yeah, awful manager. Won a ton of games with a small payroll in Florida and then won a championship with the Yankees and on pace to do it again. I'd stay away from him.

Eric_the_Red
08-08-2010, 07:41 AM
Yeah, awful manager. Won a ton of games with a small payroll in Florida and then won a championship with the Yankees and on pace to do it again. I'd stay away from him.

I could win a championship with the Yankees.

Redhook
08-08-2010, 08:08 AM
The Giants won over 100 games his 1st year and they went to the series his last, both were probably in spite of him. In 96 they lost 94 games, that was all his fault.

Do I have that correct?

Yes, you are absolutely correct. 100%. He cost them all those games. Every single one of them. :rolleyes:

What I'm saying is despite the fact that Dusty has insisted on batting low OBP guys at the top of the order, his insistence to run Coco out there too often, keeping Leake, among others, in there too long for personal accomplishments rather than doing what's best for the team, etc, etc, they're still winning. I could go on and on. Yes, he does some things well. He's a quality individual and the players like him, but I think he's dumber than a box of rocks when it comes down to some very important decisions that effect current and future games.

redsmetz
08-08-2010, 08:31 AM
Could he be any worse than Rogers Hornsby, Don Hefner or Vern Rapp?

Just an egregious attempt to bring up managers with bad reputations who ended up in Cincinnati .

Girardi may be a perfectly fine manager (and I'm not saying he necessarily is), but I'm not interested in returning the Reds to the Bob Howsam, Marge Schott "clean cut" days - the players don't bat with razors... My reason really is that shallow.

I'm in the camp that Baker should get an extension, that the three years or less revolving door should end and lets have some stability in the managerial position.

MrCinatit
08-08-2010, 08:51 AM
The Reds had picked up a well-deserved reputation as having a revolving door in the manager's office - and I truly believe that, with that, it has become more and more difficult convincing quality managers to come here (which is why we saw the likes of Boone, Miley and Narron recently).
Should the team not offer an extension after the first winning record in a decade - should he be let go after the team has been in contention later than it has in a decade - I think we can welcome that revolving door again. And we could then probably look forward to several more years of futility again. I could be wrong - but a team needs a bit of a consistent foundation in order to win consistently.

redsmetz
08-08-2010, 08:56 AM
The Reds had picked up a well-deserved reputation as having a revolving door in the manager's office - and I truly believe that, with that, it has become more and more difficult convincing quality managers to come here (which is why we saw the likes of Boone, Miley and Narron recently).
Should the team not offer an extension after the first winning record in a decade - should he be let go after the team has been in contention later than it has in a decade - I think we can welcome that revolving door again. And we could then probably look forward to several more years of futility again. I could be wrong - but a team needs a bit of a consistent foundation in order to win consistently.

You've said it far more articulately than I have. This is the crux of the matter.

nate
08-08-2010, 08:58 AM
A topical post from MLBTR (http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2010/08/rosenthal-on.html):

Recently, Reds manager Dusty Baker told reporters that the club has approached him about a contract extension. Logically, he deserves a pay raise based on the team's performance this season. However, ownership may not want to go that route. Given the volatility expected in the managerial ranks this winter, the Reds will have plenty of options should they look elsewhere for a skipper.

westofyou
08-08-2010, 10:33 AM
Yes, you are absolutely correct. 100%. He cost them all those games. Every single one of them. :rolleyes:

What I'm saying is despite the fact that Dusty has insisted on batting low OBP guys at the top of the order, his insistence to run Coco out there too often, keeping Leake, among others, in there too long for personal accomplishments rather than doing what's best for the team, etc, etc, they're still winning. I could go on and on. Yes, he does some things well. He's a quality individual and the players like him, but I think he's dumber than a box of rocks when it comes down to some very important decisions that effect current and future games.
Yes I'm sure you have your reasons.

Problem is all the other managers that sucked for the Reds this past decade all did like minded things as well and yet they lost with more regularity.

Fact is in this world people are rewarded for results.

Some of you just can't wrap your brains around that... sometime I think that rock analogy might apply to that type of thinking as well.

HokieRed
08-08-2010, 10:40 AM
I think he's earned it; let's get it done. I don't always like his strategic decisions, but I think he understands the game from the inside and there's a lot to be said for that.

Marc D
08-08-2010, 12:20 PM
Fact is in this world people are rewarded for results.

Does the person working the counter at a 7-11 that produces the winning lottery ticket get a piece of the action? As you say, the guy does the exact same things as the last three incompetents did but now the team is winning. How can that be due to anything other than a talent increase?

I'll give him points for his supposed club house management based solely on player comments (not that many players are going to rip the manager publicly). I'll take off points for what I can see with my own two eyes; lineup construction, bullpen usage, playing Gomes over Heisey and Cabrera over Janish etc. Essentially anything tactical.

My opinion is that if they bring him back its not the end of the world but they'd be stupid not to shop the managerial market this off season. The Dusty Bakers of the baseball world are a commodity not in short supply.

redsmetz
08-08-2010, 12:39 PM
My opinion is that if they bring him back its not the end of the world but they'd be stupid not to shop the managerial market this off season. The Dusty Bakers of the baseball world are a commodity not in short supply.

I fall back on this excellent post (http://www.redszone.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2195386&postcount=64) earlier in the thread. The Reds will set themselves back for years in ever hoping to have a topnotch manager follow Baker's time here by failing to allow some longer continuity. It would be stupid to drop a manager who has produced good baseball - see Davey Johnson & Lou Piniella. It is just shocking to me how seriously people here loathe Dusty Baker.

edabbs44
08-08-2010, 12:43 PM
If Dusty wants to come back on terms that make sense to the FO, then I am in. I'm not in love with the guy but you cannot dispute that he has done a good job this season. The team seems to react well to his style.

If he wants too much or too many years, then he can go. I won't lose much sleep over it.

Marc D
08-08-2010, 01:01 PM
I fall back on this excellent post (http://www.redszone.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2195386&postcount=64) earlier in the thread. The Reds will set themselves back for years in ever hoping to have a topnotch manager follow Baker's time here by failing to allow some longer continuity. It would be stupid to drop a manager who has produced good baseball - see Davey Johnson & Lou Piniella. It is just shocking to me how seriously people here loathe Dusty Baker.

I completely disagree. If a good manager is looking for a job, the Reds gig with the current talent level and farm system would not be a hard sell. It's not like these guys aren't aware the lifespan of a manager is usually very short. On top of that, its all contractual. If they get fired they still get paid. They go blab on t.v. for a couple of years until they get the next job or finally call it a career.

Plus it's not like they are all so tight in the ex-manager union they'll blacklist a team for firing one of their members. The other guys would sell Dusty out and take the job in a heart beat.

Bottom line to me is Dusty isn't a bit different than Boone, Miley or Narron. He just has a pitching staff. Its shocking to me that people think there is no way the Reds could do better.

redsmetz
08-08-2010, 01:13 PM
I completely disagree. If a good manager is looking for a job, the Reds gig with the current talent level and farm system would not be a hard sell. It's not like these guys aren't aware the lifespan of a manager is usually very short. On top of that, its all contractual. If they get fired they still get paid. They go blab on t.v. for a couple of years until they get the next job or finally call it a career.

Plus it's not like they are all so tight in the ex-manager union they'll blacklist a team for firing one of their members. The other guys would sell Dusty out and take the job in a heart beat.

Bottom line to me is Dusty isn't a bit different than Boone, Miley or Narron. He just has a pitching staff. Its shocking to me that people think there is no way the Reds could do better.

I think Baker has proven himself significantly better than those others, although you're right, he's reaping the benefit of the talent finally coming in which the others didn't (which is an organizational improvement overall). Still, he's done nothing that would warrant not returning regardless of the hatred for him on RZ. It's beyond me that the results don't please folks, but it's been that way since he came here.

WMR
08-08-2010, 01:38 PM
I think Baker has proven himself significantly better than those others, although you're right, he's reaping the benefit of the talent finally coming in which the others didn't (which is an organizational improvement overall). Still, he's done nothing that would warrant not returning regardless of the hatred for him on RZ. It's beyond me that the results don't please folks, but it's been that way since he came here.

He hasn't? :eek: You been watching the same team as me for the past 3 years?

It would be amazing if the Reds brought in a new manager with some fresh ideas to work with all this excellent young talent, but it's so much easier to just bring him back and that is the route the FO is most likely to take.

WMR
08-08-2010, 01:41 PM

:thumbup:

Jmcclain19 and I were talking before the season and we agreed that the only thing that would suck about the Reds being good this season is that it would likely get us 2-3 more years of Dusty Ball. :(

westofyou
08-08-2010, 01:54 PM
If Dusty wants to come back on terms that make sense to the FO, then I am in. I'm not in love with the guy but you cannot dispute that he has done a good job this season. The team seems to react well to his style.

If he wants too much or too many years, then he can go. I won't lose much sleep over it.

Exactly, he's not a saint, nor a devil.

Like I said before the guys get the job for one of 3 reasons (strategy, soft touch development, or being a Hardarse) then they usually get canned for what they lack, in DB's case it's "strategy" since he excels in soft touch development.

So will he get canned for succeeding in what he was brought in to do?

Probably not, but if he blows a move that infuriates Walt (who did not choose Dusty.. that was the owner, so he plays into this too) then the table is open.

But he will not get canned for doing what he was hired to do.

jojo
08-08-2010, 02:01 PM

The biggest thing keeping big name managers from taking the job before Dusty? The Reds wouldn't show them the money...

MrCinatit
08-08-2010, 02:10 PM
The biggest thing keeping big name managers from taking the job before Dusty? The Reds wouldn't show them the money...

Which is my biggest concern, should they part way with Dusty because the money could be used elsewhere.
Seriously, what quality manager would want to sign with a ballclub with that mindset?

nate
08-08-2010, 02:12 PM
Do the Reds have a field manager turnover rate greater than the rest of the league?

I haven't checked but I'd find that hard to believe.

pedro
08-08-2010, 10:25 PM
:thumbup:

Jmcclain19 and I were talking before the season and we agreed that the only thing that would suck about the Reds being good this season is that it would likely get us 2-3 more years of Dusty Ball. :(

I think that's unbelievably pathetic.

VR
08-08-2010, 10:40 PM
Give him 3 more years, and enjoy watching these young guys develop while they win. The Reds haven't had this much talent lined up since, well, it's been a long time.

As an organization...there are just very few holes right now when looking at a 5 yr plan....one of the biggest threats would be getting rid of a successful player's manager.