PDA

View Full Version : My Dusty Complaint

mrherd05
07-22-2010, 03:42 PM
I know he has us near first place.

I know the lineup is not all that great, the staff is young, and the bullpen is up and down.

And still, he has us in the race.

My problem is this. At the end of the season, if we are a couple games back, we are going to look at one thing. Not the pitching, not the hitting, bullpen, anything like that.

It is going to come to Dusty and his lack of leadership and inabliltiy to get this team focused to play on Sundays, mid week day games, and getaway days.

We are awful, I would love to know our record, but on those days, we may win some, but we hit like dog crap and play like we want to get onto the next game.

Note to Crusty, those games are going to bite you in the butt in about 10 weeks.

Thanks, rant over...for now...but this royally chaps my Rosey Red ass

brm7675
07-22-2010, 03:48 PM
I am all for bashing Dusty, ask anyone here, but what makes you believe he doesn't get them "ready" for Sunday, day games and get away games?

sivman17
07-22-2010, 03:55 PM
The Reds are 18-13 in getaway days

Dale4Saul2Red0
07-22-2010, 04:03 PM
Delete post? LOL. Check the numbers before you go on another Dusty witch hunt please.

mrherd05
07-22-2010, 04:13 PM
Arent we like 1 - 8 in our last 9 sunday games or something along those lines

mrherd05
07-22-2010, 04:15 PM
Sorry, we have won 2 of our last 8 Sunday games.

brm7675
07-22-2010, 04:42 PM
Sorry, we have won 2 of our last 8 Sunday games.

How does focus come into play though? I agree we put a AAAA squad on the field, but I don't see how that is a focus issue but just a poor lineup card issue.

Vottomatic
07-22-2010, 07:14 PM
If the players really wanted to win this thing, they'd quit ALLOWING Dusty to make them take a day off. Geez. Why do they need a day off? I work 80 hours a week........and it's hard work. They play a game for 3 hours a day with some batting practice and fielding practice before hand. Big frickin' deal. Play 160 games for 6 months out of the year. It's not that hard. I'd love to be doing it for $440,000 per year.

Dale4Saul2Red0
07-22-2010, 07:35 PM
If the players really wanted to win this thing, they'd quit ALLOWING Dusty to make them take a day off. Geez. Why do they need a day off? I work 80 hours a week........and it's hard work. They play a game for 3 hours a day with some batting practice and fielding practice before hand. Big frickin' deal. Play 160 games for 6 months out of the year. It's not that hard. I'd love to be doing it for $440,000 per year.

If you don't think traveling as much as they do takes a toll then you don't travel very much, just saying. Constantly traveling, sleeping in hotels, spending time away from family and friends. Don't act like it is pie in the sky and that kind of stuff doesn't wear on people. Just because you'd love to be doing what they do doesn't mean they don't need a day off every now and then to stay fresh and just relax. Sports is just as much mental as it is physical. If you're guys aren't mentally fresh they will struggle.

Vottomatic
07-22-2010, 08:03 PM
If you don't think traveling as much as they do takes a toll then you don't travel very much, just saying. Constantly traveling, sleeping in hotels, spending time away from family and friends. Don't act like it is pie in the sky and that kind of stuff doesn't wear on people. Just because you'd love to be doing what they do doesn't mean they don't need a day off every now and then to stay fresh and just relax. Sports is just as much mental as it is physical. If you're guys aren't mentally fresh they will struggle.

Yawn. Whatever dude.

Dale4Saul2Red0
07-22-2010, 08:17 PM
Yawn. Whatever dude.

Exactly can't refute any of my points so that is your response. I knew it was coming. Now I'm glad I signed up. Common sense ratio just went up a touch around here.

Hondo
07-22-2010, 08:20 PM
Dusty is truely an awful Manager. But yeah this thread is not awesome.

kfm
07-22-2010, 08:28 PM

You have got to be kidding. If this was the case, no one would have cared about Cal Ripkens streak because as long as you are not hurt everyone would play everyday. Are you saying that if a guy takes a day off he does not care, or are you saying that if a manager gives a guy a day off he doesn't care about winning. Is this your thought on all baseball players and managers or is this yet another myopic criticsm of Dusty?

Vottomatic
07-23-2010, 02:27 AM
Exactly can't refute any of my points so that is your response. I knew it was coming. Now I'm glad I signed up. Common sense ratio just went up a touch around here.

What points are there to refute? It is all opinion. You have one and I have one. Just like our backsides.

Yours just needs more toilet paper. :D

CWRed
07-23-2010, 01:41 PM
Dusty is truely an awful Manager. But yeah this thread is not awesome.

:thumbup:

But just to reiterate...Dusty is a TERRIBLE manager. Dude.

brm7675
07-23-2010, 01:57 PM

A) The players don't run the team the manager does
B) i doubt you could play the schedule a MLB player does and not take a day off. Why do you think Ripkens record is so incredible.

redssince75
07-23-2010, 01:57 PM
Is this the "one complaint about Dusty" thread? If so, I have a much better one than the original complaint.

His worst trait is a conmplete inability (or desire, or plan, or whatever) to MANUFACTURE a run when we need one. Never a bunt with a man on 3rd and 0-1 outs in a close game. EVER. Thus a record number of 1-0 losses while we sitting around picking our butts waiting for someone to hit a home run. "Manufactured run"...no such thing on this team.

brm7675
07-23-2010, 01:59 PM
Is this the "one complaint about Dusty" thread? If so, I have a much better one than the original complaint.

His worst trait is a conmplete inability (or desire, or plan, or whatever) to MANUFACTURE a run when we need one. Never a bunt with a man on 3rd and 0-1 outs in a close game. EVER. Thus a record number of 1-0 losses while we sitting around picking our butts waiting for someone to hit a home run. "Manufactured run"...no such thing on this team.

That's not the style of baseball Dusty played, and usually a manager is going to manage very similar to the style of game he played. Plus do you really right now trust any of our players to lay down a bunt with success?

Vottomatic
07-23-2010, 02:13 PM
A) The players don't run the team the manager does
B) i doubt you could play the schedule a MLB player does and not take a day off. Why do you think Ripkens record is so incredible.

I'm 45 years old and I'd follow in my Father and Grandpa's footsteps of going to work everyday. I'd put these guys to shame. Geez, they get 6 months off a year to golf and lift weights for an hour every other day. Woo-hoo. Sounds difficult. :rolleyes:

The current generation is full of a bunch of pansies.

redssince75
07-23-2010, 02:18 PM
That's not the style of baseball Dusty played, and usually a manager is going to manage very similar to the style of game he played.

Not sure this helps on the question of whether he's a good manager. A good one should be able to pull the strings on whatever move the game situation calls for (as long as his players' abilities allow it, as you note).

redssince75
07-23-2010, 02:29 PM
I'm 45 years old and I'd follow in my Father and Grandpa's footsteps of going to work everyday. I'd put these guys to shame. Geez, they get 6 months off a year to golf and lift weights for an hour every other day. Woo-hoo. Sounds difficult. :rolleyes:

The question isn't whether you could play baseball for 6 months straight for 500k or a million dollars. You could, I could, these pros could.

The question is whether you can play at the physical level necessary to be competitive at the MLB level. Thus, hammies and other little nagging things become real issues requiring days off.

Vottomatic
07-23-2010, 02:34 PM
The question isn't whether you could play baseball for 6 months straight for 500k or a million dollars. You could, I could, these pros could.

The question is whether you can play at the physical level necessary to be competitive at the MLB level. Thus, hammies and other little nagging things become real issues requiring days off.

I'm not questioning injuries. I'm questioning rest.

brm7675
07-23-2010, 02:38 PM

These guys go to work every day also, and this idea that it is 'easy' work is so false it's not even funny.

brm7675
07-23-2010, 02:39 PM
I'm not questioning injuries. I'm questioning rest.

The only way you get healthy is via rest.

Vottomatic
07-23-2010, 02:51 PM

I guess I'm unhealthy and don't realize it. I'm like the energizer bunny.........:D

Vottomatic
07-23-2010, 02:52 PM

Let's rest our entire 25 man roster all next week. DL them all for "exhaustion" and call up our Louisville roster.

I think our major league roster deserves it. They look tired.

brm7675
07-23-2010, 03:05 PM
I guess I'm unhealthy and don't realize it. I'm like the energizer bunny.........:D

So let me see if I understand, at your job, you don't get days off during the week and no vacation time at all? You work 365 days a year? Wow I am impressed...;)

lidspinner
07-23-2010, 04:06 PM
These guys go to work every day also, and this idea that it is 'easy' work is so false it's not even funny.

brm....it is not easy by no means....but ask any ex MLB player and they will tell you that being a MLB player is easier than being a teacher.....I am friends with an ex Red closer and he says being retired is harder than pitching....

I see both yours and votto's point....I just cant understand how they need a rest during a playoff race, especially when they kind of just got one..even though Votto did do alot of flying, and BPhil......these guys simply need to suck it up at times...but Dusty is making the calls....and I am sure he knows what he is doing....

the flip side says that these guys show up 5 hours before first pitch, games last a few hours, so they are putting in their 8 hours a day....not to mention the stress of not spending every day with their family....not sleeping in their own bed at night...wondering who is sleeping in their own bed...lol....but they do not have it "easy" as some think....but they do have it easier than most....but that it because of their money, not from lack of work.

goreds2
07-23-2010, 11:13 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/Dusty-Bakers-future-is-with-Cincinnati-Reds

RedsFanInBama
07-23-2010, 11:21 PM
Generally I agree that Dusty gives too many off days, but I agreed with him giving Votto off yesterday. He just hadn't been swinging the bat well and I thought needed a day off. Looks like it paid off. Joey was locked in tonight.

Vottomatic
07-24-2010, 03:55 AM
So let me see if I understand, at your job, you don't get days off during the week and no vacation time at all? You work 365 days a year? Wow I am impressed...;)

I haven't had a vacation since 2003. Not kidding. Haven't been sick either. Except for getting syphillis. JUST KIDDING about the syphillis. :D

Kingspoint
07-26-2010, 08:09 PM
Dusty tried to get Matthews here.

He tried really, really hard.

Another reason to not want Dusty Baker around. He loves so many players who would never make a roster on another team.

07/24/10 8:12 PM ET

HOUSTON -- Even after veteran outfielder Gary Matthews Jr. opted out of his contract with Triple-A Louisville on Saturday, Reds manager Dusty Baker tried to talk him out of it. The two are friends and Baker is very close to his father, Gary Matthews Sr.

"I talked to him this morning. I tried to convince him to wait," Baker said. "He said after being in the big leagues this long, he just didn't want to be in Triple-A anymore. He doesn't have anywhere to go right now. He said thanks for the opportunity and he'll see what happens."

The decision not to bring up Matthews was made because the Reds ultimately felt he was not an improvement over what was already on the 25-man roster.

"Right now, [Laynce] Nix is doing a great job off the bench as a left-handed pinch-hitter," Baker said. "Nobody is doing better on the right side than [Chris] Heisey. And [Drew] Stubbs is doing better and getting better in center field. Sometimes, there's not a fit."

CWRed
07-26-2010, 09:28 PM

Another reason to not want Dusty Baker around. He loves so many players who would never make a roster on another team.

HOUSTON -- Even after veteran outfielder Gary Matthews Jr. opted out of his contract with Triple-A Louisville on Saturday, Reds manager Dusty Baker tried to talk him out of it. The two are friends and Baker is very close to his father, Gary Matthews Sr.

"I talked to him this morning. I tried to convince him to wait," Baker said. "He said after being in the big leagues this long, he just didn't want to be in Triple-A anymore. He doesn't have anywhere to go right now. He said thanks for the opportunity and he'll see what happens."

The decision not to bring up Matthews was made because the Reds ultimately felt he was not an improvement over what was already on the 25-man roster.

"Right now, [Laynce] Nix is doing a great job off the bench as a left-handed pinch-hitter," Baker said. "Nobody is doing better on the right side than [Chris] Heisey. And [Drew] Stubbs is doing better and getting better in center field. Sometimes, there's not a fit."

Shudder shudder....

kfm
07-27-2010, 07:34 PM

I don't know how you can come to the conclusion you did. From this article, it looks like he tried to convince him to stay in Louisville, then went on to say they don't have place for him on the 25 man roster. I really don't get how you can draw the conclusion you drew from this article. I think only people who really dislike Dusty Baker could twist and turn the brain enough to argue that this article meant Dusty tried hard to get Matthews on the roster.

texasdave
07-27-2010, 07:45 PM
I think it is reasonable to reach the conclusion that Dusty wanted him on the roster. Why else would he try to convince him to stay on at Louisville? Just to help the Bats with their stretch run? Not likely. Dusty said there wasn't a fit at this time, that certainly doesn't mean Dusty does not want him here.

kfm
07-27-2010, 07:49 PM
I think it is reasonable to reach the conclusion that Dusty wanted him on the roster. Why else would he try to convince him to stay on at Louisville? Just to help the Bats with their stretch run? Not likely. Dusty said there wasn't a fit at this time, that certainly doesn't mean Dusty does not want him here.

The article also mentions that he has no other place to go. Seems like he was making a bad decision and Dusty was trying to talk him out of it. Why leave when you have no place else to go? Seems like Dusty was trying to talk him out of making a bad decision. I don't think it is the least bit reasonable to make the conclusion that Dusty wanted him on the roster. Besides, since we all know that Dusty runs the team from trades to roster moves and to everything else we dislike, if Dusty trully wanted him on the roster, he would be on the roster. Not a shred of proof he wanted him on the roster, but I know how things work around here.

BurgervilleBuck
07-27-2010, 07:54 PM
I don't know how you can come to the conclusion you did. From this article, it looks like he tried to convince him to stay in Louisville, then went on to say they don't have place for him on the 25 man roster. I really don't get how you can draw the conclusion you drew from this article. I think only people who really dislike Dusty Baker could twist and turn the brain enough to argue that this article meant Dusty tried hard to get Matthews on the roster.
But why try to convince him to stay in AAA? There was no way he could ever make the roster.

kfm
07-27-2010, 07:59 PM
But why try to convince him to stay in AAA? There was no way he could ever make the roster.

If that is your logic, then you should be questioning Walt as to why he signed him in the first place. I would imagine, Walt's reasons for signing him exist as much today as they did the day they signed him. He is veteran insurance in aaa just in case they need him at some point. Triple A is full of players in the exact same situation. Aren't the reds allowed to do the same thing that so many other teams do?

texasdave
07-27-2010, 08:02 PM
Here are a couple more lines from that article:

We couldn’t give him a real definitive answer as to when.

He didn’t know if he could wait another month or not.

Sounds like Dusty did want him here. It just wasn't a good fit at this time. And Dusty didn't know when that would happen. Not if it would happen but when.
And it definitely sounds like come September 1st he would have been wearing a Reds' uniform.

kfm
07-27-2010, 08:08 PM
Here are a couple more lines from that article:

Sounds like Dusty did want him here. It just wasn't a good fit at this time. And Dusty didn't know when that would happen. Not if it would happen but when.
And it definitely sounds like come September 1st he would have been wearing a Reds' uniform.

Interesting could not tell him when, but it was definite that he was coming up. I would assume that the language you jsut quoted applies to many players in the minor leagues. On another note, notice the use of the word WE. I wonder who we is.

lidspinner
07-27-2010, 08:27 PM
I am still trying to figure out how Dusty came to the conclusion that Stubbs is getting better.....that poor guy looks lost at times.