PDA

View Full Version : Do Or Die Time.. To Deal Or Not To Deal

RedLegSuperStar
07-22-2010, 10:20 PM
This club has been knocked from it's thrown. They just signed Izzy who could be about 2-4 weeks away from putting on that Reds jersey. These guys have Rolen who should be placed on the DL.. Instead are playing a 24 man roster. This team who at one point was one of the top offenses in the league yet now are fighting for runs. This team went pretty hard for Cliff Lee and now we hear reports that they'd still be in the hunt for bullpen help. WAIT! Stop there.. Don't waste your time dealing prospects for bullpen help. Everyone needs bullpen help and no one is wanting to deal relief arms. Chapman has been converted.. Bailey could be an option as well. Izzy and Springer could be options in late innings. Burton has been solid for Louisville. Please don't spare prospects on the 'pen.

Continue to focus on a frontline starter. Harang is at least a month away.. Bailey about 2-3 weeks away (if he's in the rotation). Leake is going to need rest and we seen that Edison may not be as automatic as we thought. I know St. Louis has their eye on Oswalt or Haren. I also know Walt said he wouldn't block a deal to prevent St. Louis from netting a player but you can't let them run away with the division.

I also think a bat for the bench is needed. Laynce Nix is expendable in my opinion. Here is my proposition:

Trade Travis Wood, Matt Klinker, Logan Ondrusek, Todd Frazier, and Danny Dorn to Arizona for Dan Haren and Cash.

Sign Jermaine Dye or Hank Blalock for the bench.. DFA Laynce Nix.

This team has a chance to make believers out of this city and the league. The nails are set in the coffin, we just need to get a hammer to nail them in.

Brutus
07-22-2010, 10:32 PM
Trade Travis Wood, Matt Klinker, Logan Ondrusek, Todd Frazier, and Danny Dorn to Arizona for Dan Haren and Cash.

If it were only that easy...

RedLegSuperStar
07-22-2010, 10:35 PM
If it were only that easy...

It is.. I talked to the D'Backs brass. ;)

Col_ IN Reds fan
07-22-2010, 10:51 PM
I don't think the Reds should trade for a pitcher. Why trade Travis Wood?
Any decent relievers on the block teams will have to over pay. The Cards are red hot right now. Hopefully starting today they will come back to the rest of the pack. I like the idea of Chapman pitching out of the pen this year. If Harang comes back send him to the pen. I would like to see this team add a couple of veteran bench players, but don't trade the young pitching.

REDblooded
07-22-2010, 11:37 PM
Don't really need to make a trade tbh... Just dump the dreck from the roster that's wasting space, start the right players, and this team will rebound nicely....

Gomes isn't an every-day starter... But that's not a terrible problem. Just platoon him. Neither is OCab... Get rid of Cairo... Finally sending Owings to AAA was a great plan...

This team wastes a TON of IP/AB's on the wrong players... as soon as that changes, this team will prosper... Unfortunately, I have a feeling that will require waiting until next season when Dusty is gone.

RedsMan3203
07-22-2010, 11:54 PM
Thanks, but No Thanks.

I'd rather keep Wood and Logan around for along time rather then renting Haren for less than 2 years.

At this point in time... The Reds are getting healthy when needed and its not costing them a dime to do it...

If you can get a MR to throw into the mix, do it. I don't have much confidence in Izzy and Springer.

If you can get a better option off the bench other than Nix. Do it. Other than that, keep sailing... Right the ship and lets get going...

This home stand wasn't the end of the world... The Reds are falling off... They won the series from the Rockies and split with the Nats (I know 3 out 4 would of been better).

If you go into every series and win 2 out of 3 you are bound to make up some ground and extend the lead in the WC/Division...

Gotta have faith...

corkedbat
07-23-2010, 12:16 AM
Thanks, but No Thanks.

I'd rather keep Wood and Logan around for along time rather then renting Haren for less than 2 years.

At this point in time... The Reds are getting healthy when needed and its not costing them a dime to do it...

If you can get a MR to throw into the mix, do it. I don't have much confidence in Izzy and Springer.

If you can get a better option off the bench other than Nix. Do it. Other than that, keep sailing... Right the ship and lets get going...

This home stand wasn't the end of the world... The Reds are falling off... They won the series from the Rockies and split with the Nats (I know 3 out 4 would of been better).

If you go into every series and win 2 out of 3 you are bound to make up some ground and extend the lead in the WC/Division...

Gotta have faith...

Key right now is Rolen. The issue with dealing for Rolen was never CAN he be productive, but HOW LONG can he be productive before something gives out and he lands on the DL.

If he has to go on the shelf for an extended period there needs to be a solid bat added to the lineup. Are Frazier or Francisco the answer? Doubtful. I certainly don't believe Sutton, Cairo or Janish are although Sutton might be OK if you could find a big bat for LF.

Here's hoping Rolen can return after a little more rest.

*BaseClogger*
07-23-2010, 12:21 AM
Cliff Lee and Roy Oswalt are/were the clear upgrades. Nobody else really makes enough of a difference as a starting pitcher for the Reds. They have the starting pitching, if they want to get better it has to be at shortstop, left field, or relief pitching.

Personally, I'm not wowed by any of the available players and probably wouldn't make a major move. Maybe move some C prospects for a reliever, but I say roll the dice this season and keep an eye towards the future...

The Voice of IH
07-23-2010, 12:33 AM

agreed, the Reds have done a fabulous job holding the line until the cavalierly arrived. Volquez got beat up today, but I would not put it past him and Pitching Coach Bryan Price to work the kinks out and come out with a dominate game plan against Milwaukee.

I think the Reds now need to hold on to their youngsters. I was a fan of selling the farm for Cliff Lee, but I do not want to sell a barn for second best. The Reds have been able to win so far, and with the 'easiest schedule' coming up, I think I like at least a wild card shot even if the Cardinals figure out a way to successfully trade for and pay Oswalt.

REDREAD
07-23-2010, 01:26 AM
I guess I have seen many years where the sellers outnumber the buyers at the deadline. It seems like every year, clubs can demand less for veteran players (other than elite players like Texera and Lee).

My guess is that there's plenty of clubs willing to unload a good bullpen arm. Someone might have a reliever making a few million that would love to get Malony in return. They can tell their gullible fans they have a new starting pitcher, as the owner pockets a few million..

I guess I don't expect this year to be any different than any other year. It's always a buyer's market at the deadline.

Will M
07-23-2010, 01:56 AM
Cliff Lee and Roy Oswalt are/were the clear upgrades. Nobody else really makes enough of a difference as a starting pitcher for the Reds. They have the starting pitching, if they want to get better it has to be at shortstop, left field, or relief pitching.

Personally, I'm not wowed by any of the available players and probably wouldn't make a major move. Maybe move some C prospects for a reliever, but I say roll the dice this season and keep an eye towards the future...

generally agree.

however, someone recently brought up DeJesus. plays LF & RF. Bruce basically platoons with Gomes. this would be a major upgrade to the recent production we have been getting from the OF corners.

an upgrade at SS would help but the only guy out there i see is Drew.

i certainly would not give up young talent just to make a deal. if the right trade isn't there don't force it.

RedsManRick
07-23-2010, 02:04 AM
I would easily put Haren on par with Roy Oswalt, but he's not going to be traded given the state of the Diamondbacks front office.

I continue to believe that the best opportunities for upgrades are at SS, LF, and the pen. What's interesting is that we have internal options for all of those which are possible upgrades, but hardly guarantees. I'm not sure that there's multiple wins out there any more.

This team doesn't need trades from my perspective. It needs health most of all, followed by its best 25 on the MLB roster and the best players given the bulk of the playing time.

The Voice of IH
07-23-2010, 02:09 AM
generally agree.

however, someone recently brought up DeJesus. plays LF & RF. Bruce basically platoons with Gomes. this would be a major upgrade to the recent production we have been getting from the OF corners.

an upgrade at SS would help but the only guy out there i see is Drew.

i certainly would not give up young talent just to make a deal. if the right trade isn't there don't force it.

DeJesus got injured tonight, the details are unknown but the Sun Deck said that it was a sprung right thumb. may be out for a while