PDA

View Full Version : Random Blood Testing begins in Minors

texasdave
07-23-2010, 02:22 AM
Major League Baseball implemented random blood testing for human growth hormone in the minor leagues on Thursday, the first professional sports league in the United States to take the aggressive step against doping.Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/baseball/mlb/07/22/hgh.minor.leaguers.ap/index.html?eref=sihp#ixzz0uToieGb4

Thought this might be of interest to some people.

RedsManRick
07-23-2010, 02:29 AM
It's interesting to note that players on major league contracts cannot be tested. Must be nice for Bud to not have to deal with a player's union. I'm not personally against random testing, but this is exhibit A in the value of a union. The massive gap between being a major league and a minor league player just got a little bit wider.

GIDP
07-23-2010, 03:30 AM
It's interesting to note that players on major league contracts cannot be tested. Must be nice for Bud to not have to deal with a player's union. I'm not personally against random testing, but this is exhibit A in the value of a union. The massive gap between being a major league and a minor league player just got a little bit wider.
Check out the list of things minor leaguers are tested for, then compare it to major leaguers. Basically you could be a raging cracked out freak in the majors.

nemesis
07-23-2010, 02:54 PM
Lol. There will be a lot of kids caught at first. Just like when they started testing for Anabolic Steroids. Then it'll dwindle just like everything else.

Scrap Irony
07-23-2010, 08:55 PM
If I'm running a major league team that has a history of PED abuse, I'm asking my prospects who might get caught.

Then I'm moving said players to the 40-man roster with a major league split contract, so that they can't get tested.

It'll be interesting if any teams do this over the next week or so.

(It'll be really interesting if Bryce Harper, for example, insists on a major league contract as part of his negotiations with Washington and if the Nats insist he take less money because of that possibility.)

BakoTheTako
07-23-2010, 09:00 PM
Are you implying that Bryce Harper is taking HGH?

dougdirt
07-23-2010, 09:01 PM
If I'm running a major league team that has a history of PED abuse, I'm asking my prospects who might get caught.

Then I'm moving said players to the 40-man roster with a major league split contract, so that they can't get tested.

It'll be interesting if any teams do this over the next week or so.

(It'll be really interesting if Bryce Harper, for example, insists on a major league contract as part of his negotiations with Washington and if the Nats insist he take less money because of that possibility.)

Two things....

Teams aren't going to make those types of moves. You aren't going to just set talent aside on your 40 man for a prospect in August who isn't getting called up. They will just let them serve their suspension if it happens.

Secondly, Bryce Harper is getting a MLB deal, testing or no testing.

Scrap Irony
07-23-2010, 09:23 PM
Are you implying that Bryce Harper is taking HGH?

Just the first example of a balleyhooed prospect whose suspension would hurt both prospect and team that came to mind. Nothing more than that.

doug,

If Aroldis Chapman, for example, were using HGH and the Reds knew he was (had in fact suggested it to him), wouldn't it make sense for the Reds to "protect" him knowing he could help the team this year going forward?

dougdirt
07-23-2010, 09:25 PM
Just the first example of a balleyhooed prospect whose suspension would hurt both prospect and team that came to mind. Nothing more than that.

doug,

If Aroldis Chapman, for example, were using HGH and the Reds knew he was (had in fact suggested it to him), wouldn't it make sense for the Reds to "protect" him knowing he could help the team this year going forward?

Chapman is on the 40 man. Most guys who aren't going to be called up this year aren't on the 40 man, so adding them now is just a waste of a roster spot. Let them serve their suspension between now and the end of next April and move forward at that point. Don't risk talent for that.

Scrap Irony
07-23-2010, 09:46 PM
How about a guy like Harper, doug, whose suspension could very well hurt the value of the franchise?

Or Montero for the Yanks, if Posada gets hurt?

How about trading chips, like Mesoraco or Domonic Brown?

dougdirt
07-23-2010, 09:50 PM
How about a guy like Harper, doug, whose suspension could very well hurt the value of the franchise?

Or Montero for the Yanks, if Posada gets hurt?

How about trading chips, like Mesoraco or Domonic Brown?

Brown, maybe. Because he could be a guy that could help a team between now and April 2011. With Harper, it doesn't matter. He is getting a 40 man deal, which I believe keeps him out of the program.

GIDP
07-23-2010, 10:47 PM
I could see something like that happening but only someone close to the majors and if the player had the stones to admit it to the team.

nemesis
07-24-2010, 01:43 PM
I could see something like that happening but only someone close to the majors and if the player had the stones to admit it to the team.

Let's be honest here. Team's know who is and who isn't for the most part. Guys talk, managers and coaches listen and it gets back through the grapevine. They can discourage a kid but out and out I don't think to many teams would cut a kid for using. Unless he gets caught.

cinreds21
07-24-2010, 09:49 PM
The Brewers last month randomly added Jeremy Jeffries on the 40. Many thought it was because he would have gotten tested for weed soon and if he got caught again, he'd have a life time ban from baseball.

Grande Donkey
07-25-2010, 03:07 PM
Could the new blood testing be why Arredondo is on the 40 man roster now?

camisadelgolf
07-25-2010, 05:16 PM
Could the new blood testing be why Arredondo is on the 40 man roster now?
That's possible, but another theory is that when he signed with the Reds, they promised he would be added to the 40-man roster so that he would be paid more throughout the season.

cinreds21
07-25-2010, 05:18 PM
Great point. Very possible.

Brutus
07-25-2010, 05:40 PM
That's possible, but another theory is that when he signed with the Reds, they promised he would be added to the 40-man roster so that he would be paid more throughout the season.

Yup. Being on the 40-man roster guarantees being paid $65,000 from a minor league contract -- whereas the standard rate of pay for that level is traditionally only $25K or less.

camisadelgolf
07-26-2010, 06:29 AM
I just realized something about Arredondo that makes me more certain he was added to the 40-man roster for financial reasons. I believe his agent made an agreement that required the Reds to add Arredondo to the 40-man roster in enough time to allow him to qualify as a super-two player. In other words, if he spends all of 2011 on a big league roster, he will be eligible for arbitration in 2012 instead of 2013.

cinreds21
07-26-2010, 06:31 AM
Did you read that agreement was made?
And if so, good job on his agent to get them to do that. I really liked the Reds signing him in preparation for 2011, I really liked him when he was with the Angels and think he could be a great asset to the Reds.

camisadelgolf
07-26-2010, 06:37 AM
Did you read that agreement was made?
And if so, good job on his agent to get them to do that. I really liked the Reds signing him in preparation for 2011, I really liked him when he was with the Angels and think he could be a great asset to the Reds.
No, I didn't read it. It's pure speculation. I have no idea who his agent is now.

cinreds21
07-26-2010, 06:39 AM
No, I didn't read it. It's pure speculation. I have no idea who his agent is now.

Oh ok.

Yea I really don't know. I might be able to find out why though.

camisadelgolf
07-26-2010, 06:41 AM
Oh ok.

Yea I really don't know. I might be able to find out why though.
It's good info to have. Thank you, by the way, for your input here. You've been a great resource. Have you heard anything about Terrell Young by any chance?

cinreds21
07-26-2010, 06:45 AM
It's good info to have. Thank you, by the way, for your input here. You've been a great resource. Have you heard anything about Terrell Young by any chance?

Thanks man, appreciate it.

No I haven't, I really don't know/hear much much about the lower levels. I know some prospect names but I more so know, or can find out, about guys in Double or Triple-A.

Now with the Marlins (whom the Mudcats were with for 6 seasons) I knew everyone in the organization, from their general manager, to pitching coordinator, to their director of player development.

I haven't been able to make those relationships yet with the Reds, it's only been a year and a half but hopefully soon I'll be fully as "in" with their organization as I was with the Marlins.