PDA

View Full Version : Cards now in panic mode, look to add bats..

brm7675
07-23-2010, 04:58 PM
Given they have now gone what like 20 innings in a row and not scored a run, i am willing to bet their GM is on the phone doing whatever he can to secure more bats, probably even willing to give up say Carpenter or Wainwright if they could add say a J. Werth or even a C. Hart...wow 20 innings without scoring a run...they are really doomed.:thumbup:

arkimadee
07-23-2010, 05:15 PM
man baseball is such a funny sport... the cards run up 8 straight wins and now can't score a run... it gives me more of a reason to think that this is going to go neck and neck until the end... lets hope so... well i'd take a reds landside division victory..

brm7675
07-23-2010, 05:24 PM
man baseball is such a funny sport... the cards run up 8 straight wins and now can't score a run... it gives me more of a reason to think that this is going to go neck and neck until the end... lets hope so... well i'd take a reds landside division victory..

thank you, people were so up in arms because the Reds lost in Philly 2 games not scoring and we were facing two grade A pitchers, well now the mighty Cards have gone 20 straight and while the did face Hamel yesterday, come on today they faced the Cubs, a team we just took 3 out of 4 from.

sabometrics
07-23-2010, 06:31 PM
The Cards are getting Ludwick back this Sunday, why on earth would they get Hart/Werth? They've only got the pieces in the minors to make one deal for All-Star type talent, and it's going to be Oswalt, not a bat. Maybe they get a Ty Wiggington (I guess he's an All-Star this year, technically) or someone else to shore up their infield situation atm, but a power hitting OF is not on their wish list.

sabometrics
07-23-2010, 06:33 PM
"probably willing to give up a Carpenter or Wainwright ..."

What spurs you to make such garbage posts? Do you just post every bad idea that comes into your head?

AintlifeGrande
07-23-2010, 06:33 PM
Given they have now gone what like 20 innings in a row and not scored a run, i am willing to bet their GM is on the phone doing whatever he can to secure more bats, probably even willing to give up say Carpenter or Wainwright if they could add say a J. Werth or even a C. Hart...wow 20 innings without scoring a run...they are really doomed.

LOL,you had me till you thought they would trade one of their big two Horse's.

brm7675
07-23-2010, 06:42 PM
I mean come on people, they are not scoring runs, they have gone 20 innings without scoring a single run, be damed with pitching, they have Penny and Lohse coming back, offer one of the big two and get a great bat, I mean that's what you do when you are not scoring runs, you panic and offer the world to get a bat. heck offer the Brewers Carpenter for Prince and move Albert to RF, there you go, instant offence.....;-)

sabometrics
07-23-2010, 06:51 PM
You're a riot man :D

Magdal
07-23-2010, 07:59 PM
The Cardinals will be sending bats DOWN. They sent one down today. They want pitching...Hawk and Soup have won 3 games in over 20 starts. They don't believe that Pujols is fading, and the return of Ludwick tomorro will be the "answer".

I don't see how they can land Oswalt, but you can be sure that's their #1 priority. BTW, Penny is still over a month from even tossing, and Lohse is a HUGE question mark.

Razzle
07-24-2010, 01:14 AM
I don't see how they can land Oswalt, but you can be sure that's their #1 priority. BTW, Penny is still over a month from even tossing, and Lohse is a HUGE question mark.
They can land Oswalt due to the combination that his contract is about even with his production, he has a full no trade clause, he wants to go to St. Louis, and the Astros don't want to pay him $32 mil over the next 2 years to finish in the bottom half of the division. A lot of those factors benefit the Cards, otherwise they wouldn't be players for Oswalt. Personally I'd rather they forget about Oswalt and shore up the middle infield with an average-ish bat to replace Schumaker.

tobttr
07-24-2010, 01:16 AM
How can you be in panic mode when you are leading the division and your closest contender is full of kids with no post-season experience?

Vottomatic
07-24-2010, 03:56 AM
They need "bats" huh?

I'll trade them 10 Louisville Sluggers for Pujols. But he has to pass a steroid and HGH test first. :D

Magdal
07-24-2010, 08:39 AM
They need "bats" huh?

I'll trade them 10 Louisville Sluggers for Pujols. But he has to pass a steroid and HGH test first. :DI don't think he is a roider...just an HGHer. And it dam sure ain't working anymore if he is on it.

See, you guys don't get all the Card games like I do. If you did you would see how deminished he is. He is a human GIDP machine, and is on a pace to strike out 100 times. He was being compared to DiMag, and Kiner, and Musial. These guys NEVER struck out that much.

Pujols has went south from the day that Holliday joined the team. Coincedence? I don't think so. He is swinging from his very heels on every pitch. HR or nothing, resulting in his decline. The league has figured him out...just get ahead in the count and then throw everything a foot outside...he won't take a walk and will try to pull it. That's why he is batting .305 instead of .350

Razzle
07-24-2010, 09:13 AM
I don't think he is a roider...just an HGHer. And it dam sure ain't working anymore if he is on it.

See, you guys don't get all the Card games like I do. If you did you would see how deminished he is. He is a human GIDP machine, and is on a pace to strike out 100 times. He was being compared to DiMag, and Kiner, and Musial. These guys NEVER struck out that much.
I get all the games and he's still having a ridiculous year. If by "diminished" you mean, "no longer head and shoulders above everyone else in the league" then I'd be in agreement at the moment, though I'm sure he can get back to that. He's nowhere near on pace for striking out 100 times. Who cares how many times he strikes out anyway if he's producing at the level he is?

Pujols has went south from the day that Holliday joined the team. Coincedence? I don't think so. He is swinging from his very heels on every pitch. HR or nothing, resulting in his decline. The league has figured him out...just get ahead in the count and then throw everything a foot outside...he won't take a walk and will try to pull it. That's why he is batting .305 instead of .350
One year ago today Holliday played his first game for the Cards. Pujols since then has hit 35 homers, driven in 115, and batted about .320 with a 1.000 OPS. The league most definitely has him figured out. Many Cards fans basically expect Pujols to never make an out and god forbid the guy fail to bring a runner home when in scoring position. We should dump him and see what John Mabry is up to.

Vottomatic
07-24-2010, 02:15 PM
I get all the games and he's still having a ridiculous year. If by "diminished" you mean, "no longer head and shoulders above everyone else in the league" then I'd be in agreement at the moment, though I'm sure he can get back to that. He's nowhere near on pace for striking out 100 times. Who cares how many times he strikes out anyway if he's producing at the level he is?

One year ago today Holliday played his first game for the Cards. Pujols since then has hit 35 homers, driven in 115, and batted about .320 with a 1.000 OPS. The league most definitely has him figured out. Many Cards fans basically expect Pujols to never make an out and god forbid the guy fail to bring a runner home when in scoring position. We should dump him and see what John Mabry is up to.

I agree with this post. Pujols may not be superman anymore, but he's still a very good player.

But his K rate is slightly up this year, but nowhere near striking out 100 times. In 2009 he struck out every 8.9 at-bats. This year he is striking out every 7.4 at-bats.

Pujols slugging percentage, RIGHT NOW (plenty of time), is the worst of his career this season. He's homering every 16 at-bats this season. Last year he homered every 12 at-bats.

On the decline? Maybe a little. But still VERY GOOD.

And all this with Matt Holliday hitting behind him.

Vottomatic
07-24-2010, 02:21 PM
One more post in regards to Pujols career homers. He currently sits at 388. In his career, he has averaged a homer every 14.2 at-bats. He is 30 years old. Let's say he plays 'til he's 40, and as he declines, he hits a homer once every 18 at-bats. Use 550 at-bats per season from here on out. Not factoring in injuries, that is 10 more seasons. That is roughly another 305 HR's. But we all saw what happened to KGJ in his 30's. The injury bug hit him hard. Lucky for Pujols, he plays 1B and not CF like Junior did, so his body doesn't take the hit as hard as it did Junior. Still, if he stays healthy and can keep a good HR pace going until 40 years old, Pujols should come close to eclipsing 700 HR's and finish in the top 3 all-time. But I'm sure A-Roid will be there too.

We're watching one of the greatest players of all time right now. As much as I hate the Cards, gotta say I enjoy watching great players.

Girevik
07-24-2010, 04:56 PM
Lol - looks like we have some folks here that need to have their sarcasm detectors upgraded.

Dale4Saul2Red0
07-24-2010, 05:08 PM
Lol - looks like we have some folks here that need to have their sarcasm detectors upgraded.

OP wasn't being sarcastic