PDA

View Full Version : Time to Speculate!

reds44
07-23-2010, 08:00 PM
From our boys in the sun deck:

Bats broadcaster Matt Andrews said lecure was scratched 30 min before the game. He also said there would be a lot of moves affecting the bats tomorrow, SOME WHICH HE WAS NOT ALLOWED TO TALK ABOUT. That could mean the Matthews out clause decision, but I think something is up...

First move is:

Gary Matthews Jr.'s agent says Sarge Jr. will exercise right to opt out of T-A contract w/ #Reds tomorrow. Looking for major-league job.

Second move could be:

m_sheldon Cueto sick with flu but still scheduled for tomorrow's start for #reds just in case. Sam LeCure is Plan B from AAA Louisville.

Anybody want to guess that anymore happen? Dickerson? Chapman? Francisco? Trade? Anything?

The Voice of IH
07-23-2010, 08:04 PM
I would be inclined to say Dickerson up/ Nix-Heisey down?

though a Trade sure would be fun! :)

Falls City Beer
07-23-2010, 08:05 PM
Those tweets are a mess. It's almost impossible to make sense or see the connections between any of them. Best guess: LeCure pitches for Cueto tomorrow who is sick. Jordan Smith gets sent down.

The Voice of IH
07-23-2010, 08:06 PM
Cueto should only miss 1 start if he even misses that

reds44
07-23-2010, 08:07 PM
Those tweets are a mess. It's almost impossible to make sense or see the connections between any of them. Best guess: LeCure pitches for Cueto tomorrow who is sick. Jordan Smith gets sent down.
Alright, lets try to take this one slowly.

The bats announcer said there will be a lot of moves tomorrow that will effect the bats.

Matthews, who plays for the bats, is going to opt out of his contract.

LeCure, who is a pitcher for the bats, might be called up to spot start for Cueto.

See how they are related?

Will M
07-23-2010, 08:09 PM
I think the Lecure issue is simply insurance due to Cueto having the flu.
Lecure seems to be yet another AAAA guy we have. Beats someone who can't keep their ERA under 7 but doesn't really belong on a playoff team.

Dickerson should have replaced Nix on the roster today. Dickerson is a major league player. Nix & GMJ are not.

Fisher had a nice game yesterday but IMO has also shown himself to be a AAAA pitcher. He is very replacable. However, Chapman doesn't yet seem ready. Absolutely dominant at times but still walking too many guys.
Last 10 games: 12.1 IP 8 hits 8BB/20K 6 ER

Brutus
07-23-2010, 08:11 PM
It sure would be nice.

Falls City Beer
07-23-2010, 08:11 PM
Alright, lets try to take this one slowly.

The bats announcer said there will be a lot of moves tomorrow that will effect the bats.

Matthews, who plays for the bats, is going to opt out of his contract.

LeCure, who is a pitcher for the bats, might be called up to spot start for Cueto.

See how they are related?

Sure. But what are we speculating about? The only actual news in there is that Cueto has the flu. Should we be looking for more in these sybilline leaves?

reds44
07-23-2010, 08:12 PM
Sure. But what are we speculating about? The only actual news in there is that Cueto has the flu. Should we be looking for more in these sybilline leaves?
Whatever the moves that effect the Bats and how they might effect the Reds?

Brutus
07-23-2010, 08:14 PM
The possibility exists Rolen could be going to the DL with Francisco being recalled. That doesn't seem too secretive though, so if we take the comment at face value, it implies a possible trade.

Falls City Beer
07-23-2010, 08:15 PM
Whatever the moves that effect the Bats and how they might effect the Reds?

GMJ move doesn't. Lecure move, sure. But whoever goes for Lecure is going to be some replaceable part.

toledodan
07-23-2010, 08:15 PM
who was sent down when fisher was called up?

Falls City Beer
07-23-2010, 08:17 PM
who was sent down when fisher was called up?

Owings.

toledodan
07-23-2010, 08:19 PM
Owings.

wow! i didn't think he had options.

Falls City Beer
07-23-2010, 08:22 PM
The possibility exists Rolen could be going to the DL with Francisco being recalled. That doesn't seem too secretive though, so if we take the comment at face value, it implies a possible trade.

FWIW, Rolen was taking grounders tonight before the game.

Scrap Irony
07-23-2010, 08:29 PM
Rolen to the DL is possible, but I'd think, in order of probability:

1. Matthews, Jr., goes on his way
2. Nix DFA'd with Dickerson brought up
3. LeCure brought up, Smith sent down, if Cueto is still suffering
4. Rolen DL'ed and Francisco/ Dickerson/ Frazier/ et al brought up
5. Trade

reds44
07-23-2010, 09:16 PM
Just got a PM from batsfan, who asked me to post this in here.

For further clarification, the numerous Bats transcations tomorrow will include the possible activations of Corky Miller, Jason Isringhausen, and Micah Owings, and players set down to make room for two of them, along with possible Matthews and Lecure moves. I was in a rush while posting that comment, and did not include that information. In light of the Jayson Stark tweet about Matthews, and the explanation of LeCure's callup, it would be likely that it was the Matthews move Andrews could not talk about, not a possible trade. Sorry if my post caused any confusion!

So it looks like it may not effect the big league team all that much.

I(heart)Freel
07-23-2010, 10:22 PM
From Reds TV broadcast:

Lecure is on hold for Cueto's start, presumably traveling to Houston as we speak.

GAC
07-24-2010, 08:09 AM
From Reds TV broadcast:

Lecure is on hold for Cueto's start, presumably traveling to Houston as we speak.

And that's all there is to it. It's a precautionary move, due to Cueto having the flu. And if he can't start today then they have LeCure to take his spot.

alexad
07-24-2010, 11:35 AM
With all the hype at the beginning of the year over Chapman, I can not believe they do not give him a sniff of the Big League Roster. If they would have kept him as a starter, I would have to believe he would have started a game or two at the big league level.

Joseph
07-24-2010, 11:49 AM
With all the hype at the beginning of the year over Chapman, I can not believe they do not give him a sniff of the Big League Roster. If they would have kept him as a starter, I would have to believe he would have started a game or two at the big league level.

There's a ton of talent in that arm, but he's just not ready.

The Voice of IH
07-24-2010, 12:02 PM
Chapman will be a starter next year, if he is ready. if he is not, reds will pick up arroyo's option.

WebScorpion
07-24-2010, 01:25 PM
There's a ton of talent in that arm, but he's just not ready. I agree. If he'd learn to not walk anyone, he'd be in the Show now. He needs to treat walks as if they were death...because they very well may be the death of his career. ;)

lollipopcurve
07-24-2010, 01:42 PM
I agree. If he'd learn to not walk anyone, he'd be in the Show now. He needs to treat walks as if they were death...because they very well may be the death of his career.

He hasn't been crazy wild. Look back at the career of Randy Johnson or Nolan Ryan. Or JR Richard. These guys walked a lot of hitters for several YEARS in the majors. Eventually, they became dominant pitchers. People are going to have to be patient with Chapman. He's athletic, he works hard, and he wants to be great -- there's no question he'll improve his command with time.

The Voice of IH
07-24-2010, 06:03 PM
well......besides Matthews, anything happen?

_Sir_Charles_
07-25-2010, 11:06 AM
Yeah, Jose Arredondo got put on the reds 40 man roster for some unknown reason. On 60 day DL though.

Anybody get this move?