PDA

View Full Version : 9 Games Straight.. No Rolen

RedLegSuperStar
07-25-2010, 12:02 PM
This team should of DL'd All Star Rolen and recalled Juan Francisco. You do two things.. Add power to the line-up to compinsate for Rolen and you showcase Francisco in a potential Haren deal.

_Sir_Charles_
07-25-2010, 12:29 PM
This team should of DL'd All Star Rolen and recalled Juan Francisco. You do two things.. Add power to the line-up to compinsate for Rolen and you showcase Francisco in a potential Haren deal.

And if Juan falls flat on his face...you HURT his trade value. That being said, we're 5-3 without Rolen during this stretch and Cairo has gone 6 for 20 with 5 walks and a dinger. I'm not so sure Rolen would've done better.

If he comes back before 15 days is up, it's a good move IMO. We haven't really been stretched very thin in any of these games being a man short.

The Voice of IH
07-25-2010, 12:32 PM
I agree with Sir Charles, the third base replacements have done a heck of a job during the strech, and it makes this mistake A LOT easier to sallow.

redsmetz
07-25-2010, 01:11 PM
The difficult thing with "day to day" injuries is that you never know if it's something that will clear up quickly (3-4 days) and the guys back. If you DL him, you're stuck waiting out the time left. It's always a difficult call and we've managed to do well enough.

edabbs44
07-25-2010, 01:16 PM
I agree with Sir Charles, the third base replacements have done a heck of a job during the strech, and it makes this mistake A LOT easier to sallow.

Is it really a mistake? Maybe the feeling was that they could take a shot due to the weak schedule this week. Their decision may have been different if it was St Louis and Atlanta on th docket.

fearofpopvol1
07-25-2010, 01:22 PM
Rolen should have been DL'ed, no quesiton. The Reds have always been against that when players should be DL'ed, leaving the bench short. Miraculously, it hasn't hurt them too bad, but it still doesn't make sense.

Redsfan320
07-25-2010, 01:24 PM
Rolen himself told Fay today that he hopes to be in the lineup sometime in the Milwaukee series.

RedLegSuperStar
07-25-2010, 02:50 PM
Rolen himself told Fay today that he hopes to be in the lineup sometime in the Milwaukee series.

Hopefully not the finale..

RedsManRick
07-25-2010, 03:01 PM
And people kept telling me he'd be back any day now. This is just silly.

Roy Tucker
07-25-2010, 03:46 PM
I think it does speak as to how highly the Reds value Rolen. On one hand, you're playing one man short for 5-10 games. On the other hand, if you DL him, he's out 15 days guaranteed.

It looks like the Reds are exchanging being one man short for those games so they can get him back a few days short of the 15 days. A high price, but it appears to be a deliberate thing.

KronoRed
07-25-2010, 04:20 PM
And if Juan falls flat on his face...you HURT his trade value.

Pretty sure his early season appearance would have hurt that value already.

That said I wouldn't have called him up, get somebody though, 24 man rosters are for the birds.