PDA

View Full Version : Sunday, July 25, 2010, Minor League Updates

texasdave
07-25-2010, 03:00 PM
Louisville at Gwinnett.

Micah Owings walks three in the first but escapes damage. Doubles by Dorn and Valaika precede a homer by Corky as the Bats score three in the top of the second. Gwinnett comes back back with one run in the bottom. Owings hits a batter who is then forced by Willy Taveras. Taveras steals second and scores on soft single. 3-1 Bats after two frames.

mace
07-25-2010, 03:42 PM
Isringhausen in the game for the Bats. They lead 5-1 in the sixth after Danny Dorn's 2-run HR.

mace
07-25-2010, 03:44 PM
The second batter takes him deep.

mace
07-25-2010, 03:49 PM
He gets Joe Thurston looking for the third out.

sabometrics
07-25-2010, 04:02 PM
Feels like its time for Aroldis.

sabometrics
07-25-2010, 04:06 PM
Guess not. Klinker gets the call.

sabometrics
07-25-2010, 04:16 PM
Klinker goes solo HR - fly out - walk - fly out - walk. 2 on, 2 out, runners on 1st and 2nd, Bats lead by 2.

sabometrics
07-25-2010, 04:18 PM
Wes Timmons strikes out to end the threat.

sabometrics
07-25-2010, 04:35 PM
Cisco takes Craig Kimbrel yard to widen the gap again, Bats lead 7-3. Klinker will stay in the rest of the game (presumably) despite the poor frame in the bottom of the 7th, as he bats for himself and strikes out.

sabometrics
07-25-2010, 04:39 PM
Dragons lead 2-0 after two walks, a single by Fleury, and a double by Pfister.

Jacob Johnson has gone two scoreless, 2 hits, 1 K.

sabometrics
07-25-2010, 04:41 PM
Meanwhile Klinker goes GO-LO-1B-HBP-GO in the 8th.

GOYA
07-25-2010, 04:47 PM
Cozart hits the Bats' 4th HR of the day. Solo shot

8-3 Bats in the 9th

sabometrics
07-25-2010, 04:56 PM
'cisco doubles to give him 3 parts of the cycle on the day. Dorn strikes out to strand two at 2nd and 3rd.

GOYA
07-25-2010, 05:06 PM
Bats win 8-3 to take sole possession of 2nd place in the division and go 3 over .500 for the first time this season.

If Durham beats Syracuse tonight, the Bats will be 1.5 games out in the wildcard race.

Player AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI BB SO AVG
Griffin CF 4 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 1 .294
Cozart SS 5 1 3 2 0 1 1 0 1 .266
Alonso 1B 5 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 2 .268
Frazier LF 3 1 0 0 0 0 0 2 2 .230
Francisco 3B 5 2 3 1 0 1 2 0 2 .283
Dorn RF 5 2 2 1 0 1 2 0 3 .307
Valaika 2B 4 1 1 1 0 0 1 0 2 .297
Miller C 3 1 2 0 0 1 2 1 1 .284
Owings P 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 .000
Del Rosario P 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 .000
Balentien PH 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 .233
Klinker P 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 .000

Player IP H R ER BB SO HR ERA
Owings 3.0 1 1 1 3 1 0 3.00
Del Rosario 2.0 0 0 0 0 0 0 3.15
Isringhausen 1.0 1 1 1 0 1 1 9.00
Klinker 3.0 3 1 1 2 1 1 5.14

GOYA
07-25-2010, 05:26 PM
LeCure will start for the Bats tomorrow.

Edd Roush
07-25-2010, 05:28 PM
Any idea who is starting for the Dragons tomorrow?

texasdave
07-25-2010, 05:59 PM
Is Dickerson hurt? Is his rehab time up?

11larkin11
07-25-2010, 06:18 PM
Any idea who is starting for the Dragons tomorrow?

Homer Bailey.

sabometrics
07-25-2010, 06:28 PM
Is Dickerson hurt? Is his rehab time up?

He's been on his rehab assignment for a week or so (?), he has plenty of time until his rehab assignment is up. Likely just getting a day off.

Edd Roush
07-25-2010, 06:34 PM
Homer Bailey.

Really? If so, I don't know if I could have picked a better game.

I will try to provide a scouting report tomorrow.

I'm also pumped to see Satterwhite tomorrow.

OnBaseMachine
07-25-2010, 07:17 PM
Billy Hamilton is 1-for-2 with his 13th stolen base. Hamilton entered today hitting .297/.364/.438 - .802 OPS in 128 atbats. Very impressive considering how raw he is. I just don't understand why he is playing second base. Nothing against Devin Lohman but Hamilton is the better prospect. JMO.

GOYA
07-25-2010, 07:36 PM
My guess about Billy at 2B is that he can obviously play SS so there's no need to test him there. But they might want to judge if Lohman can stick there.

OnBaseMachine
07-25-2010, 07:57 PM
Billy Hamilton is now 2-for-4 with two stolen bases.

reds44
07-25-2010, 07:58 PM
Francisco is a monster.

OnBaseMachine
07-25-2010, 08:06 PM
Felix Perez is 2-for-3 with a double and a stolen base.

OnBaseMachine
07-25-2010, 08:17 PM
Anyone else agree that the Reds could benefit as much as any team out there when the rosters expand to 40 on September 1st? Roster expansion will allow the Reds to add Aroldis Chapman (if he's not up by then), Jared Burton, Enerio Del Rosario, Daniel Ray Herrera, and Micah Owings as bullpen depth, and possibly Matt Maloney and/or Sam Lecure to eat innings. And that's only the pitchers. Also, Homer Bailey should be back by then.

As for the bats, I figure Juan Francisco is a lock to come up and add some power from the left side, and Yonder Alonso is a possibility too if he continues to hit well in the second half. I think we'll also see Drew Sutton called up to provide some versatility and Chris Dickerson too, though he may be up by then.

Edd Roush
07-25-2010, 08:25 PM
Anyone else agree that the Reds could benefit as much as any team out there when the rosters expand to 40 on September 1st? Roster expansion will allow the Reds to add Aroldis Chapman (if he's not up by then), Jared Burton, Enerio Del Rosario, Daniel Ray Herrera, and Micah Owings as bullpen depth, and possibly Matt Maloney and/or Sam Lecure to eat innings. And that's only the pitchers. Also, Homer Bailey should be back by then.

As for the bats, I figure Juan Francisco is a lock to come up and add some power from the left side, and Yonder Alonso is a possibility too if he continues to hit well in the second half. I think we'll also see Drew Sutton called up to provide some versatility and Chris Dickerson too, though he may be up by then.

OBM, am I correct in thinking that to be called up after September 1st, one must be on the 40-man roster. Therefore, if Springer and Izzy were to help in September, the Reds would have to DFA someone who is already on the 40-man. Since I know we have a number of players who are due to join the 40-man after this season, would it be smart for the Reds to trade a few of the low impact guys on the 40-man to get a guy like Scott Downs to consolidate roster spots and get a bigger bang for your buck from each spot?

dougdirt
07-25-2010, 08:28 PM
Billy Hamilton is 1-for-2 with his 13th stolen base. Hamilton entered today hitting .297/.364/.438 - .802 OPS in 128 atbats. Very impressive considering how raw he is. I just don't understand why he is playing second base. Nothing against Devin Lohman but Hamilton is the better prospect. JMO.
My guess is that they figure Hamilton is going to have plenty of time to get work in at SS, while Lohman is a guy they are going to move a little quicker up the ladder so he is getting the nod at SS for now since he, in theory at least, is going to have less reps in the minors at the position.

dougdirt
07-25-2010, 08:29 PM
Also, Dayton is tied at 5 in the 15th inning.

GIDP
07-25-2010, 08:32 PM
Dont forget Valaika.

mth123
07-25-2010, 08:32 PM
OBM, am I correct in thinking that to be called up after September 1st, one must be on the 40-man roster. Therefore, if Springer and Izzy were to help in September, the Reds would have to DFA someone who is already on the 40-man. Since I know we have a number of players who are due to join the 40-man after this season, would it be smart for the Reds to trade a few of the low impact guys on the 40-man to get a guy like Scott Downs to consolidate roster spots and get a bigger bang for your buck from each spot?

I'm not OBM, but the answer is yes if it can be done. Time to trade quantity for quality. I think there is a spot open from the DFA of Corky. Looking at the Roster, I'd say that Danny Rae Herrera is least likely to be of any help from here on out and he's the guy I'd DFA.

Orenda
07-25-2010, 08:47 PM

I agree that talent wise they could get a boost, but if they are still in the race I have my doubts that Dusty would know what to do with all the guys. In the past the managers choice of which players to use was somewhat irrelevant because of the team's playoff standings. When the games mean something other than arbitration raises I think Dusty will definitely prefer using the guys with experience over the younger players.

AWA85
07-25-2010, 08:48 PM
Yorman hits a walk off bomb in the 11th to give the Mustangs the win.

mace
07-25-2010, 08:58 PM
Ronald Torreyes was 2 for 2 today in the VSL Reds' 8-7 loss. He now sits at .398. That's with a .476 OBP and 1.106 OPS. Normally a 3B, he's been playing more SS lately, including today.

OnBaseMachine
07-25-2010, 09:04 PM
Yorman hits a walk off bomb in the 11th to give the Mustangs the win.

Nice. Raw and extremely toolsy 17-year old CF prospect OPSing around .820 in the Pioneer League? I love it.

mace
07-25-2010, 09:08 PM
It's pretty impressive that, at 7-3, Jordan Hotchkiss has a .700 winning percentage for a team that is .377 in other games. He and Lynchburg won today, 6-5.

corkedbat
07-25-2010, 09:12 PM

There will be a third catcher too - most likely Corky - to keep Hannigan and Ramon fresh and give Dusty versatility

mace
07-25-2010, 09:15 PM
Scott Carroll had a nice bounce-back start today as Carolina won, 5-1. Dave Sappelt's two hits put him at .352, and his 3 RBIs at 49 in 273 at-bats (in AA). I know a lot of people take a dim view of RBIs, but nevertheless, that's pretty strong for a little guy who rarely hits in the 4- or 5-hole.

klw
07-25-2010, 09:57 PM
Dont forget Valaika.

This just seems like it was a line in Doctor Zhivago.

flash
07-25-2010, 11:37 PM
I agree that talent wise they could get a boost, but if they are still in the race I have my doubts that Dusty would know what to do with all the guys. In the past the managers choice of which players to use was somewhat irrelevant because of the team's playoff standings. When the games mean something other than arbitration raises I think Dusty will definitely prefer using the guys with experience over the younger players.

Dorn is also a possibility. Avg. .307, OPS .894 The Reds are going to have to make a decision on him. He is rule five eligible this year.

It would be nice to see either Mesoraco or Sappelt although I don't think it will happen.

Mendez is also rule five eligible, but I don't think the Reds will make a decision on him until this winter.

11larkin11
07-25-2010, 11:44 PM
Dorn is also a possibility. Avg. .307, OPS .894 The Reds are going to have to make a decision on him. He is rule five eligible this year.

It would be nice to see either Mesoraco or Sappelt although I don't think it will happen.

Mendez is also rule five eligible, but I don't think the Reds will make a decision on him until this winter.

I believe Dorn was Rule 5 eligible last year?

Orenda
07-25-2010, 11:52 PM

Your right. He was left unprotected but went undrafted.

sabometrics
07-25-2010, 11:54 PM

And no one picked him. This is true.

camisadelgolf
07-25-2010, 11:57 PM
That's correct. The Reds didn't protect him, and no one chose him. There might be a few teams regretting that decision. I think it'll be a long time before the Reds have this much room on their 40-man roster following the 2010 season. Then again, the 2008 isn't exactly yielding the organization tons of promising prospects so far . . .

Orenda
07-26-2010, 12:08 AM
just checked the box scores and saw the Dayton game went 16 innings.

They lost 8-5.

Andrew Means somehow managed to draw 2 walks tonight, going 2-6 with 2bb's and a stolen base. M. Fleury also went 2-5 with a 2b and 2bb.

JaxRed
07-26-2010, 12:26 AM
There's no decision on Mendez. There is ZERO chance the Reds protect a corner infielder who's career high in homers is 5. (and 0 so far this year).

camisadelgolf
07-26-2010, 12:27 AM
Yeah, Mendez won't be protected. If he were a slick-fielding middle infielder, there'd be no doubt about it, though.

dougdirt
07-26-2010, 12:48 AM
just checked the box scores and saw the Dayton game went 16 innings.

They lost 8-5.

Andrew Means somehow managed to draw 2 walks tonight, going 2-6 with 2bb's and a stolen base. M. Fleury also went 2-5 with a 2b and 2bb.

Means also lost a ball in the lights in the 16th with 2 outs and the bases loaded that led to all 3 runs scoring on the play.

GIDP
07-26-2010, 01:11 AM
You have to think Dorn is a more valuable player than Nix is. You could probably make a case for him being more valuable to the team than Gomes and Cairo also. If his splits transfer to the majors leagues talk about a valuable bench bat.

cinreds21
07-26-2010, 01:22 AM
Ya Mendez won't be protected.

Guys that will likely be protected are Klinker, Carroll, and Jake Kahulelio. Not sure about guys in A-Ball and who's eligible down there.

A wild card may be Jerry Gil. He has really improved as a pitcher this year and pumps 95 and has a nasty change up.

GOYA
07-26-2010, 01:25 AM
Syracuse lost and the Bats are a game and a half back for the wildcard. And they are playing with the momentum of a freight train.

These are the Bats we wanted to see this season.

nemesis
07-26-2010, 01:32 AM
Ya Mendez won't be protected.

Guys that will likely be protected are Klinker, Carroll, and Jake Kahulelio. Not sure about guys in A-Ball and who's eligible down there.

A wild card may be Jerry Gil. He has really improved as a pitcher this year and pumps 95 and has a nasty change up.

Hey Jerry glad to see you joined the board.

He is soon to be 28 year old flyball pitcher, in AA who has a WHIP of 1.9ish. His BB Rate is worse this year than last. Not a chance. Sure he throws hard, but so did Marc Kroon. He will be lucky to be in the organization next year. To much talent in the way of bullpen arms in A+, A, and Rookie ball.

Klinker, Cozart, Mesoraco, Frazier, Soto, Krebs, Kahaulelio, Horst, Hotchkiss and maybe even Partch take precedence My guess is the first 6 barring trades...

cinreds21
07-26-2010, 01:39 AM
He just converted about a year and a half ago. Every scout I've talked to is impressed with him. However he likely is a free agent so that will nullify his Rule V status so never mind.

nemesis
07-26-2010, 01:42 AM
He just converted about a year and a half ago. Every scout I've talked to is impressed with him. However he likely is a free agent so that will nullify his Rule V status so never mind.

Yeah. But to keep him from walking they'd have to add him, so the jist is the same. Just way to many other attractive options out there before him.

cinreds21
07-26-2010, 01:45 AM
Yeah. But to keep him from walking they'd have to add him, so the jist is the same. Just way to many other attractive options out there before him.

Yea. lol I remember last year before the Rule V draft (on another forum) people were wondering who they'd protect and I said (I swear) Ondrusek, Valiquette, and Jordan Smith (among others) and one guy laughed in my face. Sorry, just the Rule V talk reminded me of it.

camisadelgolf
07-26-2010, 01:46 AM
I expect about seven or eight of these guys to be added to the 40-man roster:
C Devin Mesoraco - no-brainer; is now arguably one of the top prospects in baseball
C Chris Denove - good OBP
C Wilkin Castillo - extremely versatile; makes contact
1B Danny Dorn - very good bat
2B Jake Kahaulelio - doesn't 'wow' you with skills but puts up solid numbers
SS Zack Cozart - easy decision; above-average defense and bat
SS Miguel Rojas - incredible defense but not much else
SS Kris Negron - good speed, defense, and on-base skills
OF Wladimir Balentien - good power potential
OF Sean Henry - possibly a reserve outfielder at the major league level
UT Todd Frazier - another no-brainer; finally rebounding after a rough start
SP Daryl Thompson - was once one of the best pitching prospects in the organization
SP Tom Cochran - has a future as a loogy?
SP Scott Carroll - pitch-to-contact guy who has put himself back on the map
SP Matt Klinker - looking like a future #3 starter
SP Jordan Hotchkiss - does nothing but produce; is he for real?
RP Jerry Gil - good stuff; lacking experience
RP Ben Jukich - good curveball but not much else
RP Lee Tabor - left-hander with solid K/BB ratio
RP Joe Krebs - another lefty who gets guys out wherever he goes
RP Jeremy Horst - amongst the several lefties, has the most potential

fearofpopvol1
07-26-2010, 01:46 AM
You have to think Dorn is a more valuable player than Nix is. You could probably make a case for him being more valuable to the team than Gomes and Cairo also. If his splits transfer to the majors leagues talk about a valuable bench bat.

Agree 100% about Nix. Not sure I would go so far as to say he's more valuable than Gomes at this juncture, but definitely moreso than Nix.

GIDP
07-26-2010, 01:48 AM
How many places do we see opening up? Thats probably harder to pin point than the people the Reds would actually put on the 40.

GIDP
07-26-2010, 01:50 AM
Agree 100% about Nix. Not sure I would go so far as to say he's more valuable than Gomes at this juncture, but definitely moreso than Nix.

I would only say Gomes if his bat transfered to the major leagues. It also depends on the rest of the roster. Say Heisey is a good enough major leaguer over the next few years I think that makes Dorn probably more valuable than Gomes.

cinreds21
07-26-2010, 01:50 AM
I expect about seven or eight of these guys to be added to the 40-man roster:
C Devin Mesoraco - no-brainer; is now arguably one of the top prospects in baseball
C Chris Denove - good OBP
C Wilkin Castillo - extremely versatile; makes contact
1B Danny Dorn - very good bat
2B Jake Kahaulelio - doesn't 'wow' you with skills but puts up solid numbers
SS Zack Cozart - easy decision; above-average defense and bat
SS Miguel Rojas - incredible defense but not much else
SS Kris Negron - good speed, defense, and on-base skills
OF Wladimir Balentien - good power potential
OF Sean Henry - possibly a reserve outfielder at the major league level
UT Todd Frazier - another no-brainer; finally rebounding after a rough start
SP Daryl Thompson - was once one of the best pitching prospects in the organization
SP Tom Cochran - has a future as a loogy?
SP Scott Carroll - pitch-to-contact guy who has put himself back on the map
SP Matt Klinker - looking like a future #3 starter
SP Jordan Hotchkiss - does nothing but produce; is he for real?
RP Jerry Gil - good stuff; lacking experience
RP Ben Jukich - good curveball but not much else
RP Lee Tabor - left-hander with solid K/BB ratio
RP Joe Krebs - another lefty who gets guys out wherever he goes
RP Jeremy Horst - amongst the several lefties, has the most potential

Mes isn't eligible yet.

DT maybe, depends how the rest of his season goes.

No on Henry, he's had a great year but I believe he's a FA
No on Negron, (I wish though, he's a great guy and great clubhouse leader)
No on Cochran. He's 29 and is a FA

GIDP
07-26-2010, 01:51 AM

I would only say Gomes if his bat transfered to the major leagues. It also depends on the rest of the roster. Say Heisey is a good enough major leaguer over the next few years I think that makes Dorn probably more valuable than Gomes.

nemesis
07-26-2010, 02:44 AM
Mes isn't eligible yet.

He should be. He was the #1 pick in the same draft as Frazier, Cozart, Carroll, Soto and others.

cinreds21
07-26-2010, 02:47 AM
He should be. He was the #1 pick in the same draft as Frazier, Cozart, Carroll, Soto and others.

They all went to college, Mes was HS.

OnBaseMachine
07-26-2010, 03:09 AM
Leading off the bottom of the 11th inning, Rodriguez hammered a Taylor Reid offering over the right-field wall for the first walk-off homer of his young career. It was the Mustangs’ second walk-off win in the last three nights.

“Before I went to the plate I was just thinking about getting on base,” the Venezuelan said. “From there I wanted to help the team build something.”

Rodriguez hit a ball down the left-field line that surely would have been a home run earlier in his at-bat versus Reid, but it hooked foul.

http://billingsgazette.com/sports/baseball/professional/minor/pioneer-league/mustangs/article_52f092f4-9870-11df-be6a-001cc4c002e0.html

OnBaseMachine
07-26-2010, 03:11 AM
Video of Yorman's walk-off HR:

http://billingsgazette.com/sports/baseball/professional/minor/pioneer-league/mustangs/vmix_829cb2a4-9874-11df-ab4e-001cc4c03286.html

camisadelgolf
07-26-2010, 05:07 AM
Mes isn't eligible yet.

DT maybe, depends how the rest of his season goes.

No on Henry, he's had a great year but I believe he's a FA
No on Negron, (I wish though, he's a great guy and great clubhouse leader)
No on Cochran. He's 29 and is a FA
Why wouldn't Mes be eligible? He signed the contract a few days after he turned 19 if I recall correctly.

cinreds21
07-26-2010, 05:17 AM
Why wouldn't Mes be eligible? He signed the contract a few days after he turned 19 if I recall correctly.

Oh well, if that's the case, then yes. My bad, didn't realize he was 19 when he signed out of high school.

I apologize.

cinreds21
07-26-2010, 05:21 AM
Looked it up and you're right. Sorry again. Then yes, Mes will be protected lol

camisadelgolf
07-26-2010, 05:25 AM
How many places do we see opening up? Thats probably harder to pin point than the people the Reds would actually put on the 40.
Ramon Hernandez - his option probably won't vest; could be re-signed after the rule five draft
Orlando Cabrera - buyout is a big possibility; his option may be too costly
Jonny Gomes - if he tanks the rest of the season as Heisey emerges, the Reds may pay his buyout and say he's expendable
Laynce Nix - probably non-tendered once again
Miguel Cairo - expired contract
Bronson Arroyo - contract buyout could save the club a lot of money
Aaron Harang - pretty much a lock to have his contract bought out
Arthur Rhodes - expiring contract
Mike Lincoln - expiring contract
Bill Bray - if he struggles, he could be non-tendered
Micah Owings - being optioned is probably a clue that he'll be non-tendered
Jared Burton - will likely be non-tendered unless he comes up and dominates

That is potentially 12 spots freed up right there. You also never know if the Reds will DFA guys like Daniel Ray Herrera, Drew Sutton, Juan Francisco, Sam LeCure, etc. to make room for Jason Isringhausen, Russ Springer, or trade deadline acquisitions.

cinreds21
07-26-2010, 05:29 AM
Ramon Hernandez - his option probably won't vest; could be re-signed after the rule five draft
Jonny Gomes - if he tanks the rest of the season as Heisey emerges, the Reds may pay his buyout and say he's expendable

That is potentially 12 spots freed up right there. You also never know if the Reds will DFA guys like Daniel Ray Herrera, Drew Sutton, Juan Francisco, Sam LeCure, etc. to make room for Jason Isringhausen, Russ Springer, or trade deadline acquisitions.

If Francisco is not on the 40-man roster, it'll be because he was traded, not DFA. He's a legit power prospect. He may be traded by July 31 though, I have a feeling.

camisadelgolf
07-26-2010, 05:32 AM
If Francisco is not on the 40-man roster, it'll be because he was traded, not DFA. He's a legit power prospect. He may be traded by July 31 though, I have a feeling.
I agree, but crazier moves have been made. If I were the Reds, I would've traded him to an AL team in the off-season.

cinreds21
07-26-2010, 05:38 AM
I agree, but crazier moves have been made. If I were the Reds, I would've traded him to an AL team in the off-season.

They may do that within the next week. He really is gonna have to be in the AL to be a DH. He has amazing power, it was really fun watching him last season. Nice guy too.

GIDP
07-26-2010, 10:05 AM

Cairo can be replaced by Valaika or Sutton
Cabrera can be replaced by Cozart
Nix can be replaced by Dorn

Just for starters though. Everyone else is kind of a lateral move. I think the Reds will try to purge some guys off the 40 man soon be it by a trade or be it by straight DFA.

camisadelgolf
07-26-2010, 03:13 PM
Cairo can be replaced by Valaika or Sutton
Cabrera can be replaced by Cozart
Nix can be replaced by Dorn

Just for starters though. Everyone else is kind of a lateral move. I think the Reds will try to purge some guys off the 40 man soon be it by a trade or be it by straight DFA.
I don't think we'll see anything like that happen until the Reds fall out of contention.

GIDP
07-26-2010, 03:25 PM
I don't think we'll see anything like that happen until the Reds fall out of contention.

Im speaking next years roster more than this years. The Reds have plenty of in house options to replace guys. I dont know why they wouldnt since a ton of them could be optioned up and down.