PDA

View Full Version : Haren dealt to Angels

Vottomatic
07-25-2010, 06:43 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/los-angeles/ml...id=5409169

GIDP
07-25-2010, 06:47 PM
Seems like a decent steal for the Angels. Must have really wanted to get rid of that salary.

lidspinner
07-25-2010, 06:49 PM
I am not real privy to the Angels farm system...could some put this into the equal terms from our farm system? Thanks in advance.

Trying to read the tea leaves if Haren was to expensive or if Walt trult did not want him....I am thinking it was the latter.

GIDP
07-25-2010, 06:51 PM
I am not real privy to the Angels farm system...could some put this into the equal terms from our farm system? Thanks in advance.

Trying to read the tea leaves if Haren was to expensive or if Walt trult did not want him....I am thinking it was the latter.
If I had to guess its that we really dont have a spot for him at the moment more than not wanting to spend the money he is going to earn.

sabometrics
07-25-2010, 07:06 PM
Corbin was a 2nd Round draft pick from 2009 who was having a very good season thus far this year, almost 9 K's per 9 IP. Definitely the centerpiece of the trade. Rodriguez comps very closely to say Enerio Del Rosario. Not a huge strike out pitcher, thrives when he's getting a lot of ground balls, but a little older.

sabometrics
07-25-2010, 07:15 PM
Scouting report on Corbin (before this year) rates him as having a plus fastball, plus change, and a slurve that has the potential of being another plus pitch. Sounds like Travis Wood with more polish at age 21.

Az. Reds Fan
07-25-2010, 07:34 PM
Speculation out here is that the PTBN will be LHP Tyler Skaggs, who was a first round pick last year and didn't sign until August 7th, so it makes sense since drafted players can't be traded until a year after they sign...we'll see

GIDP
07-25-2010, 07:41 PM
That would be a lot more reasonable.

sabometrics
07-25-2010, 07:48 PM
Skaggs makes a lot of sense.

FlyerFanatic
07-25-2010, 08:00 PM
i read haren didnt wanna leave west coast at all, so teams in midwest/east coast were out of it cuz he wouldnt waive his no trade clause

ILoveWilly
07-25-2010, 09:12 PM
Angels didn't give up much it seems like, but then again, Haren isn't even that great lately. We already have a pitcher in Harang who is past his prime who can put up a high 4 ERA. I never got the hype over teams getting him, he wouldn't have helped us a bit.

sabometrics
07-25-2010, 09:53 PM
If Skaggs turns out to be the PTBNL then its less a factor of the Angels getting a steal of a trade and more a factor of the Angels getting a steal in being able to sign the kid as one of their compensatory picks last year. The kid is young and is projecting as a possible TOR starter from what I've read.

mlh1981
07-25-2010, 10:30 PM
Yanks whiff again.

So heartbreaking.

Hondo
07-26-2010, 12:39 AM
Wow and Look at the Amazing package Arizona got for Haren...

That was Sarcasm, meaning I wonder why the Reds wouldn't have made a play?

Although the Reds might have been on his No Trade List.

sabometrics
07-26-2010, 01:00 AM
Its a fact that the Reds were on his "must consult list," as he said he would waive his limited no-trade clause in the right circumstances but we were one of those 10 (?) teams. Regardless he was not the big impact arm we could have used. Lee was. Maybe Oswalt, but he won't come here. Haren never was that guy.

Hondo
07-26-2010, 01:02 AM
Its a fact that the Reds were on his "must consult list," as he said he would waive his limited no-trade clause in the right circumstances but we were one of those 10 (?) teams. Regardless he was not the big impact arm we could have used. Lee was. Maybe Oswalt, but he won't come here. Haren never was that guy.

I think Oswalt is done. One scout said he's just going through the Motions...

Zach Greinke here we come!

Might have to take on OF Jose Guillen to do it, but I am all in!

sabometrics
07-26-2010, 01:05 AM
Dude, whatever delusions you have of landing Greinke, let go of them now.

Hondo
07-26-2010, 01:15 AM
Dude, whatever delusions you have of landing Greinke, let go of them now.

Dude, you should root for another team then. Wait, are you one of those guys that wants to take "flyers" on players...

Like?

NATE ROBERSON?

sabometrics
07-26-2010, 01:19 AM
I'll root for the Reds till the day I die and I will continue to hope for beneficial trades, but I do not rest my hopes on deals that will only ever exist in our imaginations.

Hondo
07-26-2010, 01:24 AM
I'll root for the Reds till the day I die and I will continue to hope for beneficial trades, but I do not rest my hopes on deals that will only ever exist in our imaginations.

Well the Reds have been looking for a Starter and some relievers. They tried to get LEE.

So, I would think that if Walt looked at Lee... I am sure he is looking at all Pitchers available. Also with Zach Greinke being available. I would rather Walt over pay for a Pitcher of Greinke's age and caliber than pay 1/2 the prospects for a "so-so" Pitcher.

GIDP
07-26-2010, 02:05 AM
Well the Reds have been looking for a Starter and some relievers. They tried to get LEE.

So, I would think that if Walt looked at Lee... I am sure he is looking at all Pitchers available. Also with Zach Greinke being available. I would rather Walt over pay for a Pitcher of Greinke's age and caliber than pay 1/2 the prospects for a "so-so" Pitcher.

Lee is one thing Haren is another. Not saying Haren is as bad as he has been this year, but I dont know if they are looking for a lateral move as Haren very well could be.

Dale4Saul2Red0
07-26-2010, 02:59 AM
Listen to HONDO guys. He pays 2.50 for ESPN Insider every month, lmao!

Hondo
07-26-2010, 04:00 AM
Listen to HONDO guys. He pays 2.50 for ESPN Insider every month, lmao!

I don't pay for it... Look at my GREINKE POST in another Thread... Ken Rosenthal even says Greinke is available.