PDA

View Full Version : Sunday Afternoon Losses: Too Much Partying or No Killer Instinct...

oregonred
07-25-2010, 10:11 PM
Why can't this team close out a 3-game weekend series sweep? What is going on with Sunday afternoon games.

It's been driving me insane so I looked it up... I expect to see a loss on Sunday afternoons, especailly when closing out a potential 3-game series sweep.

2-8 the last ten Sunday afternoons

0-5 with chances to sweep a weekend series

3 straight shutouts

Win first two games in each of the three series since the ASB, and only a 6-4 record to show for it.

I know it is a statistically oddity, but why does this team seem content with winning the first two and then sleepwalking Sunday afternoons to deflate the ERA's of mediocre pitchers like Aaron Cook and Wandy Rodriquez?

Ghosts of 1990
07-25-2010, 11:16 PM
FWIW I don't think this team has an abundance of party guys on it, but that is definitely a theory that holds water

BCubb2003
07-25-2010, 11:20 PM
Win first two games in each of the three series since the ASB, and only a 6-4 record to show for it.

It's frustrating not to sweep, but winning each series is a great way to win the pennant and 6-4 is a .600 winning percentage.

Hap
07-25-2010, 11:26 PM
We always seem to be facing 1965 Sandy Koufax or 1968 Bob Gibson each Sunday.

Cedric
07-25-2010, 11:30 PM
Sometimes it's bad lineups and other times it's just our offense.

The Reds lineup is either hit or a complete miss.

Hoosier Red
07-25-2010, 11:50 PM
Or ya know statistical abnormality. Win Series. If they play .600 for the rest of the season they'll be fine.

Caveat Emperor
07-26-2010, 12:10 AM
I know it is a statistically oddity, but why does this team seem content with winning the first two and then sleepwalking Sunday afternoons to deflate the ERA's of mediocre pitchers like Aaron Cook and Wandy Rodriquez?

It seems like we always end up facing Wandy Rodriguez whenever the Astros are on the schedule. Looking over the last 3 years, Wandy has faced the Reds 13 times, holding the team to a 3.23 ERA and striking out 86 in only 78 IP.

I have a strong dislike for Wandy Rodriguez -- mostly because his first name genuinely bothers me for some reason. It sounds like his parents really were set on a daughter named Wanda and life threw them a lefthanded curveball.

oregonred
07-26-2010, 12:12 AM
Or ya know statistical abnormality. Win Series. If they play .600 for the rest of the season they'll be fine.

Yes, but the 6-4 becomes 6-8 if you count the last 14 games including another 1-0 loss on the Sunday before the ASG. That's not going to get it done.

This team has blown an awful lot of good quality starts over the last month to maintain treading water at the ten games over .500 mark. A big reason is losing eight of the last ten Sunday afternoon games (including three straight shutouts).

25-25 in the last fifty games. (+19 RS/RA)

High mark was at 12 over (49-37) before the "Frustration in Filly" Weekend before the Break.

oregonred
07-26-2010, 12:20 AM
It seems like we always end up facing Wandy Rodriguez whenever the Astros are on the schedule. Looking over the last 3 years, Wandy has faced the Reds 13 times, holding the team to a 3.23 ERA and striking out 86 in only 78 IP.

I have a strong dislike for Wandy Rodriguez -- mostly because his first name genuinely bothers me for some reason. It sounds like his parents really were set on a daughter named Wanda and life threw them a lefthanded curveball.

Hey they did completely blast Wandy earlier in the season, but it was a Friday night game. The Reds are great on Fridays :) Two days later the mighty Felipe Paulino (of the career 6-20 record and 5.55 ERA) managed to shut the Reds down in another Reds Sleepwalking Sunday Shutout special (2-0 in extras). The takeaway is that Wandy, and every other opposing pitcher, should only request to start Sunday afternoon games against the Reds.

camisadelgolf
07-26-2010, 12:25 AM
I'll go with either 'coincidence' or 'small sample size'. Or Jesus hates them.
(That last part is in jest.)

oregonred
07-26-2010, 12:30 AM
I'll go with either 'coincidence' or 'small sample size'.

Of course it is. But it still frustrates the heck outta me...

camisadelgolf
07-26-2010, 12:35 AM
For what it's worth, although the Reds' hitting is worse during day games, their pitching is improved. I've never researched it, but I'd guess that's a league-wide thing.

fearofpopvol1
07-26-2010, 01:15 AM
It sucks, but it's hard to complain when you take 2/3...against any team, especially on the road. The Reds squared up against a good pitcher today and lost. It happens.

PuffyPig
07-26-2010, 09:20 AM
It's baseball, winning 2/3 is elite.

You can never dissect any game and say "we should win" going in to it. By it's very nature, baseball is hard to predict.

Posters think a pitcher with an ERA of 4.80 is bad, while one with a 3.80 ERA is good.

In reality, that 4.80 guy gives up 3.22 runs in 6 innings, the 3.80 guy, 2.55. That's not a huge difference in a single game.

Rodriquez is a pretty good pitcher at home, and generally pitches quite well there. And he did yesterday.

_Sir_Charles_
07-26-2010, 09:29 AM
Why can't this team close out a 3-game weekend series sweep? What is going on with Sunday afternoon games.

It's been driving me insane so I looked it up... I expect to see a loss on Sunday afternoons, especailly when closing out a potential 3-game series sweep.

3 straight shutouts

I would say it's because its very difficult to sweep. Period. The other team puts forth more effort and is more mentally focused to avoid the sweep.

And Wandy isn't a "mediocre" pitcher. He had a poor start to the year but he's throwing much better of late. When on, he's a TOR type arm. As for Cook...it doesn't matter WHAT day we're facing him...he gives our hitters fits. Some pitchers simply throw better against certain teams once they have confidence.

Lastly, toss in the fact that most often, Dusty tends to use Sunday day games to rest starters. That wasn't the fact yesterday, but overall it's fairly common for him.

GADawg
07-26-2010, 10:13 AM
I agree with most here and I'll take 2 of 3 the rest of the way BUT it isn't against any kind of baseball etiquette to go ahead and sweep a series every once in a while. I also agree that teams might actually be able to ramp it up a little to avoid an embarrasing sweep but at the same time I do believe that players today have been conditioned to be satisfied with simply winning a series.

If the old cliche' held true and teams took games "one at a time" we might not be talking about this.

RBA
07-26-2010, 10:34 AM
1999 all over again. Every game counts.

oregonred
07-26-2010, 11:10 AM
1999 all over again. Every game counts.

Exactly. It is a race to 90 wins. 35-27 is what is needed and 2-8 in the last ten SleepWalking Sundays isn't helping.

Winning the first two games of each series and yet losing the final four since the ASB is nice in the grand scheme of things, but it wouldn't be rude to actually sweep a series and try to break through the 9-11 game over .500 ceiling they've bumped up against since Memorial Day.

flyer85
07-26-2010, 11:15 AM
It's baseball, winning 2/3 is elite.
nuff said

oregonred
07-26-2010, 11:18 AM
nuff said

No one argues with that, but the club is 6-8 in the last 14. This club is .500 since Memorial Day. Four series wins of 2-1 and one 0-4'er in Filly gets you to 8-8. That's the point.

2/3 would be a 9-5 run and that would be a sweet 58-42 and off to the printing presses for the postseason ticket production.

traderumor
07-26-2010, 01:16 PM
No one argues with that, but the club is 6-8 in the last 14. This club is .500 since Memorial Day. Four series wins of 2-1 and one 0-4'er in Filly gets you to 8-8. That's the point.

2/3 would be a 9-5 run and that would be a sweet 58-42 and off to the printing presses for the postseason ticket production.If/dog/rabbit, Friday's game was anybody's ballgame, our pitcher dominated Saturday, their pitcher dominated Sunday. Most series are like that unless one team or the other is streaking in some direction. I'm not sure why it is necessary to find an evil behind something that IS MLB.

Chip R
07-26-2010, 01:20 PM
It's obvious that this team doesn't have the intensity exhibited by the fans here on RedsZone. If they did, they would undoubtedly run away with the Central and sweep the playoffs and World Series.

WVRed
07-26-2010, 01:24 PM
Any chance we could start with doing away with the red jerseys?

Now that superstition is out of the way, I don't know what else to go on.

Hoosier Red
07-26-2010, 01:51 PM
Exactly. It is a race to 90 wins. 35-27 is what is needed and 2-8 in the last ten SleepWalking Sundays isn't helping.

Winning the first two games of each series and yet losing the final four since the ASB is nice in the grand scheme of things, but it wouldn't be rude to actually sweep a series and try to break through the 9-11 game over .500 ceiling they've bumped up against since Memorial Day.

When they were 4-2 on Sundays previously did that indicate anything good about playing on Sundays?

I think you're trying to find meaning when there is none to be found.

oregonred
07-26-2010, 01:54 PM

That's why this thread needed to be started. The Redszone jinx to turn the Sunday Sleepwalkers into Sunday Sweep-aholics.

Of course it is MLB and 2/3 is great. But again we're talking 25-25 since Memorial Day and 6-8 in the last 14 (despite outstanding pitching).

The offense is very mediocre since the end of May.

Hoosier Red
07-26-2010, 02:01 PM
That's why this thread needed to be started. The Redszone jinx to turn the Sunday Sleepwalkers into Sunday Sweep-aholics.

Of course it is MLB and 2/3 is great. But again we're talking 25-25 since Memorial Day and 6-8 in the last 14 (despite outstanding pitching).

The offense is very mediocre since the end of May.

I think that's the larger overall point Oregon.
25-25 since Memorial Day. Sunday or no Sunday, that's not good.

You make another good point about why being swept in Philadelphia was so disasterous.

Essentially the key to getting to the postseason is two fold. 1) Win more series than you lose, 2) Sweep more series than you are swept.

A series sweep(especially a four gamer) can really hurt a team's ability to off set it by just winning series.

Big Klu
07-26-2010, 04:34 PM

What's not to like about the name "Wandy Wodwiguez"?

http://jakedavis.typepad.com/.a/6a00d8341c974f53ef012876a86090970c-450wi

Big Klu
07-26-2010, 04:35 PM

Except they don't wear them on the road. (Which then brings up the question, "Maybe they should?")

Hoosier Red
07-26-2010, 05:19 PM

3 straight shutouts

An interesting note on the Hardball times regarding winning a third game in a row that comes into play here.
http://www.hardballtimes.com/main/blog_article/the-odds-of-winning-streaks/

kaldaniels
07-26-2010, 06:14 PM
Interesting this thread...I've been researching MLB chase system betting (google it) and it really is tough (odds wise) to sweep a 3 game series, even if you are the overwhelming favorite.

CrackerJack
07-26-2010, 06:18 PM
Interesting this thread...I've been researching MLB chase system betting (google it) and it really is tough (odds wise) to sweep a 3 game series, even if you are the overwhelming favorite.

I wonder if they're taking into account quality starts and an offense that gets shut out routinely on Sundays now (obviously they're not but I guess that is why this thread exists...more than just not sweeping series, it's the way they lose on Sundays).

Blitz Dorsey
07-26-2010, 07:23 PM
What does my partying have to do with how the Reds play on Sunday afternoons? So what if I want to throw down a 12-pack on a Saturday night. What a ridiculous thread.

Oh, the players. You mean the players.

:p:

RedsMan3203
07-26-2010, 07:33 PM
If the Reds win 2 out of 3, against the remaining teams - I'll take it. That gets you into the playoffs.

Once the Reds got to 10 games above .500 I asked my self, can this team play either .500 ball from here on out or a few games above .500 - Have they? Yes. Do I think that will get them into the playoffs? Yes.

I wouldn't worry to much about the Sunday Games as long as they get the 1st two before it.

Big Klu
07-26-2010, 08:15 PM
If the Reds win 2 out of 3, against the remaining teams - I'll take it. That gets you into the playoffs.

Once the Reds got to 10 games above .500 I asked my self, can this team play either .500 ball from here on out or a few games above .500 - Have they? Yes. Do I think that will get them into the playoffs? Yes.

I wouldn't worry to much about the Sunday Games as long as they get the 1st two before it.

If the Reds take two of three in each of their remaining three-game series, and just split in their remaining four-game series, then they will go 40-22 the rest of the way. I would take that, too.

oregonred
08-09-2010, 12:43 AM
Ok, the thread worked its magic... 2-0 the last two Sundays and the 0-5 Weekend Sweep opportunity is finally broken. One great 2-1 win against the Braves last Sunday scraping out just enough to beat a tough Hanson and then today's Sunday Special lineup demolition of the hapless Cubs.

The good pitching has continued and the breaks finally happened to pull together a 7-1 and 9-2 run in the last week+.

64-48 makes it a lot easier to see 90+ wins then 57-47.

26-24 for 90 wins
28-22 for 92 wins
30-20 for 94 wins

Hoping for 2-2 over the next four games (Carpenter, Garcia, Wainwright and Josh Johnson is a brutally nasty four game stretch). That's why this weekend's sweep and this nice mini-run was just huge.

OnBaseMachine
08-09-2010, 12:12 PM
Can the Reds play the Cubs every Sunday? Take a look at the Reds last nine Sunday's:

Lost 7-3 vs Kansas City
Lost 1-0 at Seattle
Lost 5-3 vs Cleveland
Won 14-3 at Chicago
Lost 1-0 at Philadelphia
Lost 1-0 vs Colorado
Lost 4-0 at Houston
Won 2-1 vs Atlanta
Won 11-4 at Chicago

The Reds have scored a combined 25 runs in the two Sunday afternoon games at Wrigley Field. They scored a total of eight runs combined in the other seven Sunday afternoon games.