PDA

View Full Version : This from MLB.com

markymark69
07-27-2010, 03:04 PM
Reds mentioned in this article from MLB.com about picking up Octavio Dotel, doesn't mention who they would send the other way.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20100727&content_id=12673324&vkey=tradedeadline2010&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

bshall2105
07-27-2010, 03:06 PM
Can he hit lead off? There is no need for him in the bullpen.

brm7675
07-27-2010, 03:10 PM
Reds mentioned in this article from MLB.com about picking up Octavio Dotel, doesn't mention who they would send the other way.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20100727&content_id=12673324&vkey=tradedeadline2010&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

To me these lines stand out the most in that article:

The Reds are an interesting team in an interesting position. They don't have a lot of gaping holes, save possibly for the massive offensive struggles of shortstop Orlando Cabrera.

Shouldn't THAT be what we are addressing?

Dotel is having his typical season, with boatloads of strikeouts, a few too many walks and an enormous platoon split. Dotel obliterates right-handed hitters, of which the Cardinals have many. Dotel would not be much more than a tactical move, but that means he also would not require the kind of talent outlay that a major move would.
Isn't this why we signed Springer and Izzy? Why not wait and see what they can do first? Also isn't Logan O. doing a sweet job and a RH pitcher?

TStuck
07-27-2010, 03:24 PM
Article was purely speculating. Nothing to see here.....move along.:rolleyes:

markymark69
07-27-2010, 03:30 PM
Article was purely speculating. Nothing to see here.....move along.:rolleyes:

About half the threads on this forum are speculating. Just thought I share it.

CWRed
07-27-2010, 04:55 PM
[QUOTE=brm7675;2175296]To me these lines stand out the most in that article:

The Reds are an interesting team in an interesting position. They don't have a lot of gaping holes, save possibly for the massive offensive struggles of shortstop Orlando Cabrera.

Yes it's not rocket science. But still over Dusty's head. Janish! Janish! Janish!

BP
Hanigan (this will never happen in a million years with Dusty)
Votto
Rolen
Bruce/Heisey
Gomes/Heisey/Nix
Stubbs/Heisey
Janish

Me likey. Don't even care if Janish gets a shot at leading off.

Kingspoint
07-27-2010, 07:36 PM
[QUOTE=brm7675;2175296]

Yes it's not rocket science. But still over Dusty's head. Janish! Janish! Janish!

For everyone who wants Dusty back next year, this is the exact reason why not. Everybody and their brother can see that the REDS need to replace Cabrera in the top of the lineup, but he's apparently untouchable for Walt because it seems that Baker has too much clout when it comes to roster makeup.

BurgervilleBuck
07-27-2010, 07:39 PM
Everybody and their brother can see that the REDS need to replace Cabrera in the top of the lineup, but he's apparently untouchable for Walt because it seems that Baker has too much clout when it comes to roster makeup.
Um, isn't Walt Baker's boss? Clout or no clout, Baker seems to manage more from his gut than his brain.

Kingspoint
07-27-2010, 08:00 PM
Um, isn't Walt Baker's boss? Clout or no clout, Baker seems to manage more from his gut than his brain.

He is and he isn't.

Baker is a friend of Castellini's, just like Walt.

I would say that both players report directly to Castellini, and that Baker has nearly as much control over the Major League roster as Walt does.

ian_madden
07-28-2010, 12:59 AM

I've said this before but I will take Dusty and his gut over the managers that we have had in the past that "went with the numbers" every time to a fault. Ie. Narron, Boone, etc. At least with Dusty, the players play.