PDA

View Full Version : 2011 MLB Season to Begin on a Friday to Avoid November World Series

OnBaseMachine
07-27-2010, 07:50 PM
From USA Today:

Major League Baseball, trying to avoid having long underwear as part of its players' postseason apparel, is planning to start the 2011 season in earnest on Friday, April 1 - three days earlier than traditional Monday opener.

It would be the first time a majority of teams start the season on a Friday since 1905, according to the Elias Sports Bureau.

The regular season would end Wednesday, Sept. 28 with playoffs opening on Sept. 30 or Oct. 1. The World Series is scheduled to start Wednesday, Oct. 19, a week earlier than the last two years. It would virtually assure the World Series would not be played in November.

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/dailypitch/post/2010/07/mlb-opening-day-2011-to-fall-on-friday-april-1-season-to-end-on-a-wednesday/1

Not a huge fan of this, why change tradition? Is three days really going to make a big difference?

SirFelixCat
07-27-2010, 07:53 PM
Heard about this a couple of weeks ago and I absolutely hate this.

Joseph
07-27-2010, 07:54 PM
So will the Reds go back to being first?

kbrake
07-27-2010, 08:03 PM
I don't think its that big of a deal. This sport has to start to modernize a little bit. Not everything can be about tradition. World Series games in November is a bad idea, way worse than this imo.

guttle11
07-27-2010, 08:06 PM
I like it. Half the teams in baseball (and always Cincinnati) will have great "Opening Weekend" events. Here locally, the new "Opening Night" being on a Saturday will be a guaranteed sellout. Maybe even the Sunday afternoon game as well.

Kudos, Bud. You did something right.

Rojo
07-27-2010, 08:08 PM
I like it too. Series' start on Fridays, why not start the season on a Friday? "Traditions" are like old houses -- you can't designate every one of 'em a landmark.

UKFlounder
07-27-2010, 08:13 PM
Of course, "Opening Night" will probably also be 40 degrees too.

I don't think it's a bad idea, but the current pattern (for the Reds) is to schedule the day after opening day as an off day - I guess they'll stop that, but I bet all 3 games on the first weekend will be day games.

I like it. Half the teams in baseball (and always Cincinnati) will have great "Opening Weekend" events. Here locally, the new "Opening Night" being on a Saturday will be a guaranteed sellout. Maybe even the Sunday afternoon game as well.

yab1112
07-27-2010, 08:20 PM
I don't think it's a bad idea, but the current pattern (for the Reds) is to schedule the day after opening day as an off day - I guess they'll stop that

I hope so. That first off day is torturous.

reds44
07-27-2010, 08:22 PM
If this eliminates the tradition off day after opening day, I'm all for it.

OnBaseMachine
07-27-2010, 08:23 PM

That's actually an excellent point. You changed my mind pretty quickly. Instead of driving out and watching Opening Day and then driving home, I can now watch Opening Day and then probably stay for the second and third games as well.

HeatherC1212
07-27-2010, 09:11 PM
If this change means I actually have a chance of getting tickets to Opening Day then I'm all for it. I'm 0-4 on opening day tickets the last few years, LOL :laugh:

KronoRed
07-27-2010, 09:59 PM
This is a great plan, the Monday start had lots of teams play a game then be off to get the rest of the schedule set. Blah.

harangatang
07-27-2010, 10:11 PM
I've always hated that Opening Day coincides with the NCAA men's basketball championship game. It always takes attention away from baseball and it's just too much for one day. I like the move.

Tony Cloninger
07-28-2010, 12:36 AM
I think they should also have April rosters be 28....and schedule a DH or 2. Do it also in September when rosters expand as well...schedule a DH or 2.

OnBaseMachine
07-28-2010, 11:25 AM
A note from John Fay - the Reds will finally make their first trip to Camden Yards next season.

One other note about the 2011 schedule: I’m told that the Reds are scheduled to go to Baltimore. It’s the only American League city they haven’t played in in interleague play.

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/2010/07/28/opening-day-on-friday-you-down-with-that/

macro
07-28-2010, 11:39 AM
I've always hated that Opening Day coincides with the NCAA men's basketball championship game. It always takes attention away from baseball and it's just too much for one day. I like the move.

That was my first thought, exactly. Day two will still be overshadowed by the lead-up to the Final Four on Saturday, but at least Opening Day can have it's own day in the sun.

As for tradition, hasn't Opening Day been on a Wednesday at some point in the past?

Chip R
07-28-2010, 11:41 AM
I think they should also have April rosters be 28....and schedule a DH or 2. Do it also in September when rosters expand as well...schedule a DH or 2.

They used to have expanded rosters - about 28 or so - up through the 1st month of the season or so.

Doubleheaders are like Milton Bradley. They are great when someone else has them/him but when you get them/him, not so much.

RedsManRick
07-28-2010, 11:50 AM
I like it. I've never understood why you'd want to kick off your season on a weeknight.

Roy Tucker
07-28-2010, 11:52 AM
I like the season starting with a Friday-Saturday-Sunday series. Early April weather might make things dicey though.

But that works for this year so the season ends in October. What about future years? Is the day of Opening Day going to float around the week now instead of being anchored?

rotnoid
07-28-2010, 11:53 AM
I've quickly changed my mind on this. Immediate thought was of disgust, but now I see the merit of the Friday night/weekend start.

Now, if they would just get rid of that extra day off in some of the division series we'd be on our way.

bucksfan2
07-28-2010, 11:56 AM
They used to have expanded rosters - about 28 or so - up through the 1st month of the season or so.

Doubleheaders are like Milton Bradley. They are great when someone else has them/him but when you get them/him, not so much.

I have noticed a trend over the past few years that MLB is doing its best to eliminate double headers. If that means 2-3-4 hour rain delays and resuming games around 11 or 12 they don't care, as long as the game finishes. I don't see MLB or the unions wanting a couple of DH scheduled over the course of a season.

reds1869
07-28-2010, 12:01 PM
I like this move a great deal for all of the reasons previously mentioned. For once Bud is doing something right!

IslandRed
07-28-2010, 12:06 PM
I tried to think of a reason not to like it and can't. Opening Day is just a different weekday (and isn't Friday a better day for a party than Monday?), then we roll right into games on Saturday and Sunday. Thumbs up.

BrooklynRedz
07-28-2010, 12:15 PM
Expect to see more divisional matchups during the home openers to accommodate any rainout makeups since there is not likely to be an offday in that opening weekend.

traderumor
07-28-2010, 01:03 PM
They could also shorten the season with elimination of the All-Star Game and its associated break. That would be better than a DH where you see one normal game, then an odd game where its second stringers and tired regulars playing a lethargic game.

blumj
07-28-2010, 01:26 PM
They can't start baseball seasons soon enough for me.

Rojo
07-28-2010, 01:29 PM
I'd like to see scheduled DH's on the big summer holidays - Memorial Day, July 4th, Labor Day. I'd also like to go back to the 152-game schedule but that ain't happening. Do both and you cut two weeks off the schedule.

Chip R
07-28-2010, 01:57 PM
I have noticed a trend over the past few years that MLB is doing its best to eliminate double headers. If that means 2-3-4 hour rain delays and resuming games around 11 or 12 they don't care, as long as the game finishes. I don't see MLB or the unions wanting a couple of DH scheduled over the course of a season.

One thing the players and owners can agree on is not scheduling doubleheaders. The players don't want them because it's 2 games in 1 day. The owners don't want them because they have to give up a home date. And, deep down, the fans don't want them because they would have to spend 7-10 hours at the ballpark.

Ghosts of 1990
07-28-2010, 02:00 PM
the fans don't want them because they would have to spend 7-10 hours at the ballpark.

Personally It's on my list of things I really want to do. But the majority of fans don't want to you're right I think. The casual fan definitely wouldn't want to.

redsmetz
07-28-2010, 02:03 PM

Haven't read the entire thread yet, but I think you're on to something. Certainly it bumps up the 2nd game that is usually lightly attended. Overall, I'll miss the Monday tradition, but as long as our start is a day game and we're still always opening at home, I'm fine with it.

Chip R
07-28-2010, 02:07 PM
Something else to consider about starting the season on a Friday, if it starts on April 1, 2011, it will start on March 30, 2012 and March 29. 2013 unless they start on April 5. But then you get into the whole World Series in November thing, which I don't think is that big of a deal. As others have said, eliminate some offdays from the postseason schedule and you won't have to worry about it. But there are just as many people opposed to startting the season in March as there are those who oppose starting it in November.

Sea Ray
07-28-2010, 04:08 PM
I tried to think of a reason not to like it and can't. Opening Day is just a different weekday (and isn't Friday a better day for a party than Monday?), then we roll right into games on Saturday and Sunday. Thumbs up.

The only reason not to do this is the proverbial "we've always done it on a Monday".

I would love a Friday start to the season. Take Friday off and kick off your weekend early. I don't think Saturday has to be a night game. I've always hated the Tuesday off day after the opener. Let's hope this eliminates that nonsense. How many Openers have been postponed in this town? This will greatly enhance attendance for the 2nd and 3rd games.

Who knows, maybe the Reds could go back to being the first game again...

MLB should have done this a long time ago

Hollcat
07-28-2010, 04:33 PM
One thing the players and owners can agree on is not scheduling doubleheaders. The players don't want them because it's 2 games in 1 day. The owners don't want them because they have to give up a home date. And, deep down, the fans don't want them because they would have to spend 7-10 hours at the ballpark.

I have wondered for quite some time why they didn't move the opener up to Friday or Saturday. Certainly would help the crowds to have another weekend on the schedule.
As for the double headers I don't understand why the players would not want a few since every DH you play is going to result in another off day unless they move up the playoffs by a week. Also looks like the owners wouldn't mind scheduled day/night DH's like on a few Saturday's or Holiday Mondays. As a fan it would be perfect to watch an early afternoon game, go out and tailgate for a couple of hours or go to a nearby watering hole and then head back to watch the night cap. For the owners they still have two seperate gate's and probably bigger one's than they would have for the same two games being held on seperate nights.

Brutus
07-28-2010, 04:41 PM
Bravo, Bud. Bravo.

Love this move. As mentioned, this will be great for games No. 2 & 3 as far as crowds are concerned. Absolutely love this.

Now if they would work on spacing out the playoffs less, everything would be A-OK.

SirFelixCat
07-28-2010, 04:43 PM
Ok the points you guys have made have swayed me. This seems like a good thing. :thumbup:

Reds Fanatic
07-28-2010, 04:55 PM
I actually think it is a good move to the more I think about it. Hopefully it eliminates the immediate off day they have had in the past. I also think it would be smart if that Saturday game was an afternoon game. With the weather in April it would be best to have that during the day and they could avoid going directly against the Final Four which would be that night.

Chip R
07-28-2010, 08:37 PM
I actually think it is a good move to the more I think about it. Hopefully it eliminates the immediate off day they have had in the past. I also think it would be smart if that Saturday game was an afternoon game. With the weather in April it would be best to have that during the day and they could avoid going directly against the Final Four which would be that night.

If the Reds play a day game for the opener and one on Saturday, they could have 3 straight day games to start the season. Not saying it's good or bad - I'm leaning towards good - but it's unusual. But if they did it like that, they could still do their new Opening Night thing they did this year on Monday or Tuesday. The Reds could sell some kind of package where you can get Opening Day tickets if you buy Saturday and Sunday tickets. The more I think about this the more I like it.

OnBaseMachine
07-29-2010, 02:13 AM
From the Cincinnati Enquirer:

A Major League Baseball vice president said the situation remains “highly tentative” and nothing prevents the Reds from opening on another day. “It’s highly possible the Reds could open their season on that Thursday,” said Katy Feeney, vice president of scheduling.

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20100728/SPT04/307280078/1071/Opening-Day-on-Friday-Please-don-t-?GID=TvBRXNnhywAuvEECz1gek6CimOsc6xuXVOaxEmMc/WI%3D

OldRightHander
07-29-2010, 07:50 AM
As long as it's a day game at home and I'm there, I'm fine with it.

Roy Tucker
07-29-2010, 08:33 AM
Evidently it would throw a wrench in things at Findlay Market. They are closed on Monday but open the rest of the week.

http://nky.cincinnati.com/article/AB/20100728/SPT04/307280078/-1/SPT/Opening-Day-on-Friday-Please-don-t-

Sea Ray
07-29-2010, 08:38 AM
Evidently it would throw a wrench in things at Findlay Market. They are closed on Monday but open the rest of the week.

http://nky.cincinnati.com/article/AB/20100728/SPT04/307280078/-1/SPT/Opening-Day-on-Friday-Please-don-t-

I hardly think MLB should base their decisions effecting 30 teams on the Findlay Market...

johngalt
07-29-2010, 10:22 AM

Wow, how whiny can that guy get? Yeesh.

chicoruiz
07-29-2010, 10:22 AM
Okay, I'm weird but I can't get all wrought up about the Reds opening at home very year. I still think they should consider playing the first week or so with warm-weather teams and dome teams having home stands.

Tony Cloninger
07-29-2010, 11:08 AM
As long as there is no stupid day off the next day...that is fine.

Never understood why they went to this off day the next day gig.

Sea Ray
07-29-2010, 11:42 AM
As long as there is no stupid day off the next day...that is fine.

Never understood why they went to this off day the next day gig.

If we do indeed open up on Thursday you can bet that Friday will be an off day

macro
07-29-2010, 11:51 AM
If we do indeed open up on Thursday you can bet that Friday will be an off day

Good point. I can't see them having two teams open the season with a four-game set while the rest of the league plays three games. Would it be the first scheduled Friday off-day in MLB history?

macro
07-29-2010, 11:53 AM

http://nky.cincinnati.com/article/AB/20100728/SPT04/307280078/-1/SPT/Opening-Day-on-Friday-Please-don-t- (http://nky.cincinnati.com/article/AB/20100728/SPT04/307280078/-1/SPT/Opening-Day-on-Friday-Please-don-t-)

http://www.sadtrombone.com/

UKFlounder
07-29-2010, 11:57 AM
Why not have a 4 game series? At all points in the season, at least until the end, some teams have played a different number of games than others, so why not start with 1 4 game series?

Good point. I can't see them having two teams open the season with a four-game set while the rest of the league plays three games. Would it be the first scheduled Friday off-day in MLB history?

pedro
07-29-2010, 01:10 PM
I could be wrong but I think the point is that the season in the future will start on April 1 so as to not bleed into november, not that opening day will always be on a Friday.

I think it's a great idea.

Sea Ray
07-29-2010, 04:19 PM
I could be wrong but I think the point is that the season in the future will start on April 1 so as to not bleed into november, not that opening day will always be on a Friday.

I think it's a great idea.

I think you're wrong. I don't think they'll start the season on April 1 if it falls on a Sat, Tues, Wed. They'll start the season on a Fri or a Mon unless you include a token ESPN game beforehand.

Now ending the season is something I haven't seen brought up yet. If they start the season on a Fri, does that mean they'll end it on a weekday?

KronoRed
07-29-2010, 04:24 PM
Now ending the season is something I haven't seen brought up yet. If they start the season on a Fri, does that mean they'll end it on a weekday?

In the original article they say the season will end on a Wednesday.

My guess is the ridiculous off day we all loath so much will stick around.

Sea Ray
07-29-2010, 04:32 PM
In the original article they say the season will end on a Wednesday.

My guess is the ridiculous off day we all loath so much will stick around.

You think if they start on Friday they'll take Saturday off?

KronoRed
07-29-2010, 04:35 PM
You think if they start on Friday they'll take Saturday off?

Yep, or they start Thursday and take Friday off, I'm sure I'm read somewhere that the Reds like the off day because it gives them a "2nd chance" if there is a rain out.

Sea Ray
07-29-2010, 07:31 PM
Yep, or they start Thursday and take Friday off, I'm sure I'm read somewhere that the Reds like the off day because it gives them a "2nd chance" if there is a rain out.

I don't see any scenario where they'd take Sat off. That leaves too much $$ on the table

Tony Cloninger
07-29-2010, 09:14 PM
Pretty much from 1975 through 1980....the Reds opened with 4 straight games/days at home. All against division rivals.
It was in 1981...that this changed. They played only 2 games at home...vs the Phillies. Go back to starting the season with 4 games vs a division rival.

oregonred
07-30-2010, 12:07 AM
Makes a ton of sense. Great idea. Either Thursday or Friday to begin the season with an opening weekend blowout. No way you would ever see a Friday or Saturday open date left on the table by the owners.

remdog
07-30-2010, 12:28 AM
This is one of the few times I have to applaud Bud (if this actually comes to fruition).

--It gives you (presumably) three straight day games at a time when the weather is dicey and night games can be bone chilling.

--It makes for a festive weekend and, if I'm a business owner in DT, I throw out a lot of 'specials' for that weekend. Restaurants, hotels, shopping venues, etc. should all build something around this. Heck, even the City of Cincinnati should think about doing something on Fountain Square. There are a lot of people that normally don't come into Cincinnati until school is out that just might take a 'vacation day' for the kids and come to Cincinnati for Opening Day as well as another game or two. That should be a bit of an economic boost for the city and they should be pushing for this idea.

--I'm thinking that the first Monday will be an off day for teams in order to cover any makeup games due to bad weather. If that's the Monday of the NCAA basketball finals it makes even more sense.

Rem

Chip R
07-30-2010, 12:35 AM

Here's a solution, Gibbs: just close that Friday. As for the hangovers, some of us who go to the game on Mondays have to go to work on Tuesdays a bit under the weather. They can drink less beer.