PDA

View Full Version : Albert Pujols

blark11
07-27-2010, 08:54 PM
I'm watching the Cards game on the MLB Network. He just grounded out to short, and looked to be laboring/hurt while running to first. I don't wanna root for another guy to get hurt, but if he misses time this could be a serious help to the Reds' chances of hanging around in the division race.

BurgervilleBuck
07-27-2010, 08:58 PM
It looks like he's still manning first base.

blark11
07-27-2010, 08:59 PM
It probably isn't anything that will keep him out of the lineup, but a less than 100 % Albert Pujols is still a plus.

Griffey012
07-27-2010, 09:01 PM
It probably isn't anything that will keep him out of the lineup, but a less than 100 % Albert Pujols is still a plus.

I just sold the farm for him in my fantasy keeper league, but I would be plenty glad to see Pujols have a 15 day DL stint.

Redlegs_87
07-27-2010, 09:11 PM
He is out of the game now. I hope this has nothing to do with him batting on David Letterman last night. Either way don't wish anyone harm but if he were to be put on the DL wouldn't be any sweat off my back.

lidspinner
07-27-2010, 09:23 PM
I want to win the div with a Albert playing Cardinals....call me old fashiooned but I want to beat them when they are at their best...if not, thats all we will hear for the rest of our lives......but yeah, I wont be pissed if he is not there, but if I had my druthers he would have a MVP type year and we still beat them out of the Central and the beat them in the playoffs.

sivman17
07-27-2010, 09:58 PM
I want to win the div with a Albert playing Cardinals....call me old fashiooned but I want to beat them when they are at their best...if not, thats all we will hear for the rest of our lives......but yeah, I wont be pissed if he is not there, but if I had my druthers he would have a MVP type year and we still beat them out of the Central and the beat them in the playoffs.

If Scott Rolen misses more time the rest of the season due to injury you can bet the house that the Cards aren't going to be worried that they didn't beat a complete Reds team. Why should we care if we beat them because Pujols got hurt?

Just sayin...

But Pujols never gets hurt and never misses time due to injury. So, it probably won't be an issue.

blark11
07-27-2010, 10:21 PM
He is out of the game now. I hope this has nothing to do with him batting on David Letterman last night. Either way don't wish anyone harm but if he were to be put on the DL wouldn't be any sweat off my back.

He's still playing.

Vottomatic
07-27-2010, 10:41 PM

Harang, Bailey, Hernandez, Hanigan, and Rolen have all missed significant time. We have just as much to gripe about as the Cards do.

lidspinner
07-27-2010, 11:10 PM
Harang, Bailey, Hernandez, Hanigan, and Rolen have all missed significant time. We have just as much to gripe about as the Cards do.

True.

davereds24
07-27-2010, 11:34 PM
Never thought I'd see the day Pujols is hitting under .300 late in July until much later in his career.

Hey Meat
07-27-2010, 11:57 PM
He must have quit the juice.

BurgervilleBuck
07-28-2010, 12:57 AM
Pujols is the NLC's Ogie Oglethorpe.

Roush's socks
07-28-2010, 01:00 AM

Fon Duc Tow
07-28-2010, 10:37 AM

:D had to chuckle

Rijo's Ghost
07-28-2010, 11:08 AM

You don't truly believe that that list equals Penny, Lohse, Freese and Ludwick do you? Especially from a time standpoint.

Magdal
07-28-2010, 11:50 AM
The man is 30 yrs old...that's 35 in Dominican years. His age is showing.

Rijo's Ghost
07-28-2010, 11:57 AM
The man is 30 yrs old...that's 35 in Dominican years. His age is showing.

He only has the 6th best OPS in baseball.

texasdave
07-28-2010, 12:10 PM
He only has the 6th best OPS in baseball.

His OPS numbers the past two years have been over 1.100 each year. This year, to date, it is .955. While still very good, one would have to consider that a not insignificant drop - roughly 15%. He has time to get it back up, and I wouldn't bet against it. But his .848 OPS in July suggests he is trending in the wrong direction.

texasdave
07-28-2010, 12:13 PM
You don't truly believe that that list equals Penny, Lohse, Freese and Ludwick do you? Especially from a time standpoint.

Votto missed a week. And Chris Dickerson, who started 10 games in April, has missed a big portion of the season. That being said I don't feel either team has been killed by injuries in 2010.

blark11
07-28-2010, 12:33 PM
I don't see Penny and Lohse as huge losses because they really just aren't that great. However, I think Freese and Ludwick were big losses. Freese was having a great season as a young guy. Ludwick drives in near a hundred runs ever since he broke through with them. Having to play Felo at 3rd hurts the Cards because of his defense. With that said, I agree with texasdave. Both of these teams have been pretty fortunate when it comes to injuries this year. Players for every team will always get injured. It's just part of sports. As long as I never have to see a player like Robbie Hummel get hurt for my team ever again I will be happy.

texasdave
07-28-2010, 12:38 PM
Robbie Hummel plays basketball for Purdue. You are thinking of Tim "Thug Life" Hummel. :)

Girevik
07-28-2010, 01:07 PM

I'm not sure that Harang being out can be seen as all that much of a negative with how well Wood has been pitching compared to what Harang was doing.

Rijo's Ghost
07-28-2010, 01:15 PM
His OPS numbers the past two years have been over 1.100 each year. This year, to date, it is .955. While still very good, one would have to consider that a not insignificant drop - roughly 15%. He has time to get it back up, and I wouldn't bet against it. But his .848 OPS in July suggests he is trending in the wrong direction.

You're comparing him against himself, not in relation to the league. He's having an "off" year and is still one of the best in the game. The only reason this is an issue is because he's been so consistent. These jumps are normal to most players. And lets keep in mind that there is still a lot of time left this season. I wouldn't bet against him finishing the season with a 1.000+ OPS.

Rijo's Ghost
07-28-2010, 01:22 PM
I don't see Penny and Lohse as huge losses because they really just aren't that great. However, I think Freese and Ludwick were big losses. Freese was having a great season as a young guy. Ludwick drives in near a hundred runs ever since he broke through with them. Having to play Felo at 3rd hurts the Cards because of his defense. With that said, I agree with texasdave. Both of these teams have been pretty fortunate when it comes to injuries this year. Players for every team will always get injured. It's just part of sports. As long as I never have to see a player like Robbie Hummel get hurt for my team ever again I will be happy.

Penny had an ERA of 3.23 and has missed over 2 months. That's significant. Even if Lohse is a 4.75 ERA guy, it's significant considering the guys they've had to pitch there. They had Ludwick out a month and Freese out for over a month now. Comparing their situation to Votto being out a week and our journeyman catcher and bench players missing time is about as homer as there is.

texasdave
07-28-2010, 01:33 PM
You're comparing him against himself, not in relation to the league. He's having an "off" year and is still one of the best in the game. The only reason this is an issue is because he's been so consistent. These jumps are normal to most players. And lets keep in mind that there is still a lot of time left this season. I wouldn't bet against him finishing the season with a 1.000+ OPS.

Of course I compared him to himself. Isn't that the whole point of the thread? It was posted that he is slipping and you responded that he still has the 6th best OPS in baseball. That fact really doesn't address the issue of whether he is slipping or not. You have to compare what he has done in the past to what he doing this year. Going from over 1.100 the past two years to .955 is a downward trend. This might be temporary and Pujols could turn things around. But he might not. He turned 30 years old and ballplayers don't stay at their peak forever. Nobody is knocking Albert Pujols. He is a certain first-ballot Hall of Famer. But for someone to suggest that he is entering the downhill phase of his career arc is not unreasonable.

Rijo's Ghost
07-28-2010, 01:47 PM
Of course I compared him to himself. Isn't that the whole point of the thread? It was posted that he is slipping and you responded that he still has the 6th best OPS in baseball. That fact really doesn't address the issue of whether he is slipping or not. You have to compare what he has done in the past to what he doing this year. Going from over 1.100 the past two years to .955 is a downward trend. This might be temporary and Pujols could turn things around. But he might not. He turned 30 years old and ballplayers don't stay at their peak forever. Nobody is knocking Albert Pujols. He is a certain first-ballot Hall of Famer. But for someone to suggest that he is entering the downhill phase of his career arc is not unreasonable.

Not unreasonable at all. I just find it odd that people seem to think that he's playing terribly or something when he's still among the best in MLB despite having a bad year. I'm also hesitant to call it a trend. I mean, an off year was bound to happen. His level of consistency is almost impossible. With the way athletes age now I fully expect him to stay in this peak for 3-4 more seasons, but I can see why people could buy into believing this is his decline phase.

Caveman Techie
07-28-2010, 02:29 PM
Penny had an ERA of 3.23 and has missed over 2 months. That's significant. Even if Lohse is a 4.75 ERA guy, it's significant considering the guys they've had to pitch there. They had Ludwick out a month and Freese out for over a month now. Comparing their situation to Votto being out a week and our journeyman catcher and bench players missing time is about as homer as there is.

I see your Penny and raise you a Volquez.

Also, having both Hannigan and Hernandez down for over two weeks straight with Corky Miller being the teams ONLY catcher is signifigant.