PDA

View Full Version : Lots of gangstas around here

Eric_the_Red
07-27-2010, 09:07 PM
At least according to this article: http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/blog/big_league_stew/post/Hot-gang-member-wear-for-2010-Dodgers-and-Reds-?urn=mlb-258572

The Voice of IH
07-27-2010, 09:16 PM
I don't know why some are taking this as a surprise? in almost every rap video I see at least 1 reds hat.

Bloods wear it because if suppose to symbolize "the blood of Crips" (Hence the "C" with a red background)

savafan
07-27-2010, 09:19 PM
I don't know why some are taking this as a surprise? in almost every rap video I see at least 1 reds hat.

Bloods wear it because if suppose to symbolize "the blood of Crips" (Hence the "C" with a red background)

Yep, I see it too.

Curious question though, have the Reds ALWAYS had the "C" on their hat, or was there ever a variation without it?

paintmered
07-28-2010, 12:43 AM
Wait, people didn't know this? I ask this genuinely. I thought this was common knowledge and not a new trend.

thatcoolguy_22
07-28-2010, 12:53 AM
I'll be honest if it wasn't for this and Volquez's music video appearance I wouldn't even know who the reds were :)

kbrake
07-28-2010, 01:06 AM
Yeah I also thought this was pretty well known.

Tom Servo
07-28-2010, 02:25 AM
Tim Hummel is the worst of them all.

Blitz Dorsey
07-28-2010, 02:58 AM
Damn it feels good to be a gangster.

klw
07-28-2010, 07:52 AM
They are not Bloods- they are the Logan Ondrusek fan club.

Roy Tucker
07-28-2010, 09:09 AM
Hmmm, interesting. I guess I'm a hopelessly unhip white guy from the leafy burbs. I didn't know the particulars. I'd seen the Reds caps in videos but never knew why.

So do I need to be careful as to where I wear Reds caps? Not that in a million years I'd get mistaken for a gang member. :)

reds1869
07-28-2010, 09:17 AM
I used to work with gang members; I was forbidden from wearing anything red or blue to work. At the time in Columbus the favored hats were North Carolina (Crips) and UC (Bloods).

Unassisted
07-28-2010, 09:46 AM
I'm with Roy, I didn't know the details of this either. I did figure there was a gang-related reason for the red Reds caps, but had never bothered to look it up.

The Reds profit from the sales of their merchandise, so this phenomenon has probably helped fund the salaries of some of our favorite players. A small-market team needs revenue from anywhere it can get it. :)

BCubb2003
07-28-2010, 09:57 AM
Then there are the wanna-bes with their Cubs and Cleveland hats. People just laugh at them.

RBA
07-28-2010, 10:09 AM
Being in Southern California, I see Reds caps all the time. Sometimes you think to yourself, "oh, a fellow Reds fan" and then "whoops, I remember now, this is most likely a gang member or wanna-be gang member" so I take a guick glance and look away and forget about talking to them all together. They most like don't have any idea who Joey Votto is, or may not even know Johnny Bench for that matter.

BCubb2003
07-28-2010, 10:24 AM
Being in Southern California, I see Reds caps all the time. Sometimes you think to yourself, "oh, a fellow Reds fan" and then "whoops, I remember now, this is most likely a gang member or wanna-be gang member" so I take a guick glance and look away and forget about talking to them all together. They most like don't have any idea who Joey Votto is, or may not even know Johnny Bench for that matter.

I think you should yell out, "Yo! First to third! That's how we do it!" And see what happens.

cumberlandreds
07-28-2010, 10:36 AM
I'm with Roy, I didn't know the details of this either. I did figure there was a gang-related reason for the red Reds caps, but had never bothered to look it up.

The Reds profit from the sales of their merchandise, so this phenomenon has probably helped fund the salaries of some of our favorite players. A small-market team needs revenue from anywhere it can get it. :)

Same here. I had seen quite a few young guys, usually around the subway stations, wearing Reds hats. I had a notion it may have been gang related. I guess I need to be careful on where I wear my Reds cap.

bucksfan2
07-28-2010, 11:53 AM

My wife has family out in Riverside, CA. Last year we were out there for a graduation party and one of her cousin's friends was wearing a Reds hat. I made mention about him being a Reds fan. Her brother quickly responded that the guy wearing the hat probably doesn't even know what team the hat represents, he just liked the color.

smith288
07-28-2010, 11:57 AM
I think you should yell out, "Yo! First to third! That's how we do it!" And see what happens.
Now THATS funny

smith288
07-28-2010, 12:05 PM
There is this hat that was on RedsReporter
http://images.redreporter.com/images/admin/retarded_reds_hat.jpg

Looks like it was designed specifically as a shout out to the bloods if you ask me.

Danny Serafini
07-28-2010, 12:07 PM
Yep, I see it too.

Curious question though, have the Reds ALWAYS had the "C" on their hat, or was there ever a variation without it?

The Baseball Hall of Fame website has a pretty cool uniform database that will show you any team's uniforms going back to 1900. Here's the Reds:

http://exhibits.baseballhalloffame.org/dressed_to_the_nines/uniforms.asp?league=NL&city=Cincinnati&lowYear=1900&highYear=2010&sort=year&increment=9&=Display+uniforms

Last time they had a hat without the letter C on it was all the way back in 1912. The current style C first showed up in 1934.

RichRed
07-28-2010, 01:21 PM
I made mention about him being a Reds fan. Her brother quickly responded that the guy wearing the hat probably doesn't even know what team the hat represents, he just liked the color.

I've heard that comment several times, in a non gang-related way, and I just don't get it.

WMR
07-28-2010, 03:05 PM

hahahahahahahaha