PDA

View Full Version : Everything's relative

RFS62
07-28-2010, 08:11 AM
I have a hard time imagining how any Reds fan could be disappointed in the way this season is going.

It's been a long time since we've been in a real pennant race. We've threatened a few times since '99, but it was always with overachieving teams who finally turned back into pumpkins at midnight.

I don't have that sense of things with this group. And the future looks pretty bright with the young core we've assembled.

Still, I read post after post of doom and gloom and proclaiming the sky is falling.

It's like nothing is ever enough for a lot of fans. Anything short of the idealized memory of the Big Red Machine isn't enough.

I guess it's good for discussion. But it still amazes me.

If you can't enjoy this team, you're in trouble.

Unless, that is, you prefer angst and manic-depression as a way of life.

It's been great drama. Compelling personalities, coming of age of young studs, veteran comebacks...... I don't know what it takes to be happy with your team if the combination of personalities on this team doesn't do it for you.

If we have a rough patch, it doesn't mean we suck. If we sweep a series, it doesn't mean we're the '75 Reds.

Enjoy this as long as you can. Savor looking in the standings every morning and having it count for something.

Think about where we've been the last ten years. Everything's relative.

RedFanAlways1966
07-28-2010, 08:24 AM
Damn straight. I want the playoffs, but this has been fun.

:thumbup:

redsmetz
07-28-2010, 08:59 AM
RFS62, this is one of the most refreshing posts I've seen here in a long time. I think everything you've stated is spot on.

I know I'm considered among the Pollyanna, rose-colored glasses clique on the board, so I will say, this year's team is such an enigma. You've described the make up of the club very well. And yet it's a team that is streaky, particularly at the plate. There are nights where we can't seem to buy a hit, can't sneak a run past the plate. Then we have last night where we're smacking the ball six ways to Saturday with nary a dinger and we win 12-4.

I understand that with some of the flaws of this team (and really there are very few teams which near perfection), its understandable to me that some feel like the bottom is going to fall out. And it may well do that. On one hand, you wonder about a club that has been shut out 12 times thus far (several on 1-0 heartbreakers), a club who has a couple of pitchers who workload will have to be monitored the rest of the season (Leake, Volquez), who were swept by the Phillies, not in a 3 game series, but a four spot (ouch!), and yet, nearing the end of July, we're in a virtual tie with the Cardinals.

I like the make up of this club. The spotty production can be nerve wracking, but when it's on, man it's fun.

So I join you in your exhortation to enjoy - ENJOY!

Roy Tucker
07-28-2010, 09:19 AM
Everything's Relative? Wasn't that a Ray Stevens song?

There is none so blind as he who will not see.
We must not close our minds; we must let our thoughts be free.
For every hour that passes by, we know the world gets a little bit older.
It's time to realize that beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder.

:)

I just figured that it was many people in here hadn't ever experienced a Reds pennant race and didn't know how to act. I think its just freakin' great.

I love the fact that every day, its "how did the Reds do?" "did the Cards lose?". It was 1999 that that really happened. Its so cool. Long-dormant faux Reds fans are coming out of a decade-long hibernation.

That every day constancy of building excitement and anticipation, the unknown part of you just don't know how it will turn out, and all the individual and collective stories of this team. I just think its great.

nate
07-28-2010, 09:59 AM
It's a sports messageboard made up of hundreds of individuals, some of those individuals think the team has weaknesses that need addressing. I don't see where thinking the team has issues that need fixing is antithetical to enjoying the season; I'm certainly of both minds. I actually think the theoretical talk about how to improve the team enhances the season rather than detracts from it.

Sometimes.

:cool:

lollipopcurve
07-28-2010, 10:19 AM
It's an important perspective, for sure.

Then again, I think every baseball season is eminently enjoyable.

Homer Bailey
07-28-2010, 11:11 AM
Nice post RFS.

I was going to make a long winded post about all the whining that has gone on here lately (especially in the GT's), but you put it much better.

edabbs44
07-28-2010, 11:15 AM
Agree 100%

reds44
07-28-2010, 11:20 AM
Great post. I think every fan base is doom and gloom. I bet when the Yankees lose a couple in a row their fan base is doom and gloom.

At the end of the day, we all love this team and what they've done so far. I know I do.

cincrazy
07-28-2010, 11:28 AM
This season has been awesome. My dad is strictly a casual fan. He loves the game of baseball, however, with his schedule, if the Reds are losing, he's not going to take time out to sit down and watch them most nights.

This is the first year in recent memory that I can recall my father asking me every single day "When are the Reds on? Who's pitching? Do they have a good shot tonight?" And you know what? That's a special feeling for me. I'm 25 years old, and I've never truly experienced a pennant race with my father. Here's hoping it continues this year :).

Sea Ray
07-28-2010, 11:31 AM
It's a sports messageboard made up of hundreds of individuals, some of those individuals think the team has weaknesses that need addressing. I don't see where thinking the team has issues that need fixing is antithetical to enjoying the season; I'm certainly of both minds. I actually think the theoretical talk about how to improve the team enhances the season rather than detracts from it.

Sometimes.

:cool:

The typical moves to improve the team recommended around here involve trading for Cliff Lee, Roy Oswalt, Danny Haren or Zach Greinke. Would those moves improve the team? Sure! They'd improve any team. But we're also not likely candidates for such trades. Reality is lost quite often

Sea Ray
07-28-2010, 11:44 AM
The main problem I've noticed of late has been the number of games this offense goes into a slumber. They have their share of games like last night where they score double digit runs but they also have a couple games every week where they score one run or less.

Since June 1st they've lost 24 games but they've scored only one run or less in 13 of those including a lot of 1-0 losses. A Cliff Lee or Roy Oswalt isn't going to help that situation much. This offense needs another hitter who can hit good pitching. They have too many guys like Stubbs and Gomes that pound poor pitching but are overmatched against good pitching. The 90s poster child for this was Reggie Sanders.

RANDY IN INDY
07-28-2010, 12:23 PM
I'm enjoying the heck out of this season, RFS62. My son, Matt, and I were in Cincinnati last week and saw them lose on Wednesday night and Thursday. The really cool thing was that on Wednesday night, the ballpark was "electric," and I haven't felt that in Cincinnati in a very long time. We had a great time, despite the losses.

Heath
07-28-2010, 12:32 PM
Beyond the matching Tommy Bahama glasses and shirt, RFS is a man who speaks wise beyond his years.

But, when you remember the '82 Reds winning the American Association a full 11.5 games over Louisville, the words are only the tip of the iceberg of the wisdom RFS carries.

But, seriously, when I can't watch or listen to a game, I always call my dad. The first question I ask, did the Cards lose? Replace Cards with Dodgers and it's 1970-1979 again.

gonelong
07-28-2010, 12:34 PM
I enjoy every season, but this one has enticed my 6 year old to watch, listen, and play ball quite a bit more this summer. That alone has been fantastic.

GL

reds1869
07-28-2010, 12:35 PM
From where I'm sitting the Reds are on top of the NL Central, which is better than everyone but StL can say. I thought things would be better this year but not in my wildest dreams did I think we'd see the Reds in first as July winds down--and showing no signs of letting up. There have been some rough patches but there always will be. There is no reason this team can't take down the Cardinals and make the post season. Once they do it is just a roll of the dice and I'd never count them out. One way or another this is the most fun I've had in years!

Cedric
07-28-2010, 12:36 PM
I will say a summer with the Reds winning is like no other. I can't think of 1999 without thinking of that team and it's success/heartbreak.

No matter what people say this is a sports town. If the Reds win the whole city gets interested.

westofyou
07-28-2010, 12:38 PM
Then again, I think every baseball season is eminently enjoyable.

If it wasn't I'd spend my time doing a lot of other things.

Ron Madden
07-28-2010, 12:51 PM
I have enjoyed every baseball season that I can remember.

Some more than others. ;)

Roy Tucker
07-28-2010, 12:53 PM

I thought the same thing. Some seasons are more equal than others.

OnBaseMachine
07-28-2010, 12:57 PM

Same here. But it's always more enjoyable when the Reds win.

Scrap Irony
07-28-2010, 12:59 PM
Love this team. Absolutely love it.

That said, I'm like you, RF. I assumed more posters would be happier about the progress.

Ah well. K Sarah, Sarah. (Or something like that.)

pedro
07-28-2010, 01:34 PM
Cue WV joke about thread title.

(Duck.)

Seriously though, great post RFS.

UKFlounder
07-28-2010, 02:02 PM
Good thread, but at some point a good season on the field almost becomes a 2-headed monster. On one hand (or head, I suppose), it's fun, enjoyable, and attracts more attention to the team; on the other side, it also creates bigger expectations, which leads to bigger disappointment.

In March, if you had said the Reds would be 10 games over .500 at the end of July, everybody (or most people) would have been happy; go to the end of May when they were about 8 or 9 games over and say they would only improve by 1 or 2 games over June & July, and that's not quite as good.

Seeing them win is fun, but it creates the need or desire to see them win more and more, and when that does not always happen, it can be tough to take. Seeing how no team is playing great baseball in this divsion, but the Reds are not quite taking full advantage of it, is frustrating, at least somewhat, until perspective, such as this thread, sets in.

It's definitely been a fun season so far. Now, I want it to continue or to get better. I (and most fans I would guess) am greedy that way. :beerme:

Hoosier Red
07-28-2010, 02:57 PM
That's good perspective RFS.

As UKFlounder just said, the board can seem more negative because with the better play, there is an increased expectation of winning.

Also, in past seasons because they weren't going to win, each specific game was not as important.
In previous seasons;
Jay Bruce went 0-for-4 and struck out twice? Well there's still some value to him gaining the experience. Drew Stubbs started out on a 0 for 12 string, it's important to keep running him out there and see what we have. The value was in seeing if the players can learn and grow. (Both did, at least a little.)

In this season;
It's harder to see value in growth and learning and discovery. A lot of the time people think a win is all that's important.

Now the growth and learning is actually at a higher level(they're learning not only how to fail and succeed, but how to do it in the daily pressure of a playoff race,) But is less important in fans mind.
Who cares what you learned, we lost.
Oddly enough, the same benefit doesn't apply when the team wins.
Sure we won, but Stubbs struck out with the bases loaded, we can't play with him every day

This asymetrical reaction makes everything seem more negative than it actually is.

Ron Madden
07-29-2010, 04:06 AM
I will say a summer with the Reds winning is like no other. I can't think of 1999 without thinking of that team and it's success/heartbreak.

I agree with Cedric,

I'll never forget the season of 1999. That was one of the top three most entertaining but heart wrenching seasons of all time for Reds fans of my age.
(along with 1964 and 1973)

Maybe that's why so many fans are on pins and needles, because they realise the fact that no matter how good a team is every game counts.