PDA

View Full Version : Opening Day 2011 on Friday???

redsfan_12
07-28-2010, 10:18 AM
According to Fay: USA Today reported that the 2011 season will open on Friday, April 1, instead on the traditional Monday. That way the World Series will end in October, like the baseball gods intended.

The schedule is preliminary but Bud Selig was quoted in the article, so it sounds like it will happen.

Karen Forgus, the vice-president of business operations, said the club will do Opening Day up like always — whether it is on Monday or Friday.

I kind of like the idea. You would think it would be a three-game, Friday-Sunday series. I never liked the Tuesday off day.

Some of Opening Day attendees I know will welcome the off day from work the next day.

What do you think?

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/

sivman17
07-28-2010, 10:20 AM
Different, but I have no problem with it. I never quite understood the Tuesday off day.

Will the game on Friday be a day game or a night game? I guess I wouldn't be opposed to Opening Day being a night game.

GIDP
07-28-2010, 10:22 AM
I never understood the tuesday off either. I mean what if it rains on Wednesday?

redsfan_12
07-28-2010, 10:22 AM
Good question, I was wondering the same thing. I hope the Friday game is a night game to be honest. I should be done with class early and could make the trip up.

sivman17
07-28-2010, 10:23 AM
Fay said that "Reds will do up Opening Day the same way whether it's on Friday or Monday."

I'm guessing that means it will be an afternoon game as always, with the parade preceding it.

Chip R
07-28-2010, 10:25 AM
It's going to be different but if they are going to start on April 1, the next year they will have to start on March 30. I know a lot of people don't like the season starting in March.

redsfan_12
07-28-2010, 10:29 AM
It's going to be different but if they are going to start on April 1, the next year they will have to start on March 30. I know a lot of people don't like the season starting in March.

I dont particularly like that either. Oh well, I guess it starting on Friday is different for a change. Atleast we wont have to wait until that weekend is over for the season to start :thumbup:

Griffey012
07-28-2010, 10:32 AM
I for one will love it. It's not bad traveling to and from Indy for opening day, but for those who may be coming from a few hundred miles away, it makes it easy for many more people to get to experience opening day. Not everyone has the luxury of being able to take a Monday and Tuesday off work.

texasdave
07-28-2010, 10:47 AM
Here's an idea. Don't have a million days off during the playoffs. Make it more like real baseball instead of a team being able to get away with using just three starters.

arkimadee
07-28-2010, 11:10 AM
Good question, I was wondering the same thing. I hope the Friday game is a night game to be honest. I should be done with class early and could make the trip up.
i like the idea but think you have to keep it a day game.. atleast a 4pm start. to many chances for crappy, cold weather in april to put opening day on a night game. but moving it it a weekend series is a great idea in my opinion

redsfanfalcon
07-28-2010, 04:02 PM
Here's an idea. Don't have a million days off during the playoffs. Make it more like real baseball instead of a team being able to get away with using just three starters.

I like that idea a lot!

davereds24
07-28-2010, 04:29 PM
This is an excellent move, can't think of any reason why someone wouldn't like it. Now there will possibly be a decent crowd the 2nd and 3rd games of the season too.

KOBasinger
07-28-2010, 04:37 PM
Love the idea. I hate the day off right after.

Kingspoint
07-28-2010, 04:46 PM
Whatever it takes to shorten the season.

davereds24
07-28-2010, 05:00 PM
It's not shortening the season

Kingspoint
07-28-2010, 10:06 PM
It's not shortening the season

What?

mlh1981
07-28-2010, 11:13 PM
Really happy that the Reds are finally going to Baltimore. I've always wanted a reason to visit that beautiful park, and now I have one.

I'll speculate and say that we will host the Yankees (haven't hosted them since 2003), host the Rays, and travel to Boston.

I forget how many non-Cleveland Indians series we have in interleague play, though.

RiverRat13
07-30-2010, 12:10 AM
I'm guessing all of the Saturday games would be in the day so as to not compete with the NCAA semifinals?

texasdave
07-30-2010, 12:11 AM
I'm guessing all of the Saturday games would be in the day so as to not compete with the NCAA semifinals?

Cincinnati will not have a team in the semifinals so it is not much of a local concern. :)