PDA

View Full Version : Visiting PNC park

redhawkfish
07-28-2010, 11:16 AM
I am taking my father for his 70th b-day present to next Tuesday and Wednesday's Reds/Pirates games in Pittsburgh next week. Our hotel is right across the street from the park. Any reccomendations for a restaurant for dinner Tuesday within a couple blocks of the park?
Any cool things to see at PNC park besides meaningful August games for the Reds?
Thanks in advance! We are really looking forward to it!

Cedric
07-28-2010, 11:18 AM
I am taking my father for his 70th b-day present to next Tuesday and Wednesday's Reds/Pirates games in Pittsburgh next week. Our hotel is right across the street from the park. Any reccomendations for a restaurant for dinner Tuesday within a couple blocks of the park?
Any cool things to see at PNC park besides meaningful August games for the Reds?
Thanks in advance! We are really looking forward to it!

The best stadium I have seen.. I absolutely loved the food at Primanti Bros..

We also went to the Warhol museum and that was a blast.

redhawkfish
07-28-2010, 05:52 PM
Thanks Cedric!

Brutus
07-28-2010, 06:02 PM

Agreed on all accounts.

I've been to many of the ballparks (sans Fenway and the new Yankee Stadium) in the Eastern half of the united states (regretfully, I've still not been West of the Mississippi).

PNC Park is up there with Jacobs Field as my favorite. Because of the river location, I may even give PNC an edge.

It's too bad that team isn't more competitive. Their fans have a great park and it would be nice to see them rewarded with a great team.

Cedric
07-28-2010, 06:06 PM
Agreed on all accounts.

I've been to many of the ballparks (sans Fenway and the new Yankee Stadium) in the Eastern half of the united states (regretfully, I've still not been West of the Mississippi).

PNC Park is up there with Jacobs Field as my favorite. Because of the river location, I may even give PNC an edge.

It's too bad that team isn't more competitive. Their fans have a great park and it would be nice to see them rewarded with a great team.

I've been lucky enough to see a bunch of the nicest stadiums. I would probably rank my favorites as Pnc, Jacobs, Comerica, Wrigley, and Safeco.

I thought Safeco had great food.. Just didn't really like some of architecture.

Big Klu
07-28-2010, 06:16 PM
I'm planning on taking in at least one game (and maybe all three) at Pittsburgh next week. (PNC Park is exactly a two-hour drive from my house.) I would like to see a lot of Red there next week. Let's take over the place, and make it "Home away from Home"!

reds1869
07-28-2010, 06:31 PM
I agree with all of the positive statements above. PNC is the best ballpark I've ever been to. I can't go without having Primanti's!

WVRed
07-28-2010, 06:51 PM
I will be there on Wednesday.

If you have never been to Pittsburgh, depending on the direction you are going, the Fort Pitt Tunnel is definitely alone worth it. If you're driving, you might feel different though. :) (you have to turn pretty much once you come out of the tunnel.)

As with everybody else, PNC Park is definitely the best place to watch a game that I have been to. There isn't a bad seat in the stadium and its definitely family friendly.

Never been to Primanti Brothers though. May have to try that.

Mario-Rijo
07-28-2010, 07:10 PM

Primanti Bros, is that the place they make the big slaw covered cold cut subs? Think I saw it on Man vs. Food.

Strikes Out Looking
07-28-2010, 07:22 PM
Go to the Andy Warhol museum. It's only a couple of blocks from the park and is really interesting. My entire family enjoyed it. I think we spent at least 2 hours there.

Big Klu
07-28-2010, 08:30 PM
I will be there on Wednesday.

If you have never been to Pittsburgh, depending on the direction you are going, the Fort Pitt Tunnel is definitely alone worth it. If you're driving, you might feel different though. :) (you have to turn pretty much once you come out of the tunnel.)

As with everybody else, PNC Park is definitely the best place to watch a game that I have been to. There isn't a bad seat in the stadium and its definitely family friendly.

Never been to Primanti Brothers though. May have to try that.

I usually get off I-376/U.S. 22 just before the Fort Pitt Tunnel, and go across the West End Bridge. The North Shore (where PNC Park and Heinz Field are located) is the first exit.

And For those who have never been there, PNC Park has a Primanti Bros. in the ballpark.

WVRed
07-28-2010, 10:35 PM
Primanti Bros, is that the place they make the big slaw covered cold cut subs? Think I saw it on Man vs. Food.

http://larryfire.files.wordpress.com/2009/05/h-wd0409-primanti-brothers.jpg

MWM
07-28-2010, 10:51 PM
Target field in Minnesota might be even better than PNC. I'd highly recommend getting there to anyone who can.

vaticanplum
07-28-2010, 11:06 PM
I'm going to Pittsburgh this weekend and missing this series by hours. Terribly bummed about this. I'd have worked out my travel differently if I'd realized.

This is one stadium I really recommend walking all the way around. There are some amazing views, both in and out of the stadium, if you make your way to some of the obscure corners of the ballpark. Going down to the river and walking around is a great thing to do also. The weather is supposed to be splendiferously perfect there this weekend and into next week.

Also! The swank club/restaurant attached to the ballpark serves all beer at $2.50 per after the game. Microbrews, everything. There's usually some promotional group giving away free stuff or some weird band playing too. Not a lot of people know about this, and tack that onto the fact that not a lot of people go to Pirates games, and you have a pretty groovy cheap place to hang out with not a lot of obnoxious drunks.

Take note, PNC is one of the few stadiums that still serves ice cream in plastic batting helmets. So many of them have stopped, and it really puts a crimp in your style if one of your major life goals is to collect an ice cream helmet from every stadium you visit so that you can someday create a series of shelves to display all 30 of them and arrange them every day according to standings. I mean, theoretically.

Yachtzee
07-29-2010, 12:41 AM
The one thing I don't like about PNC is that the seats are overly angled toward home plate, so that if you're sitting down the lines, it feels like the person next to you is sitting on your lap. I'd recommend getting seats between first and third, even upper deck, rather than go with seats down the lines.

RFS62
07-29-2010, 07:59 AM
Take note, PNC is one of the few stadiums that still serves ice cream in plastic batting helmets. So many of them have stopped, and it really puts a crimp in your style if one of your major life goals is to collect an ice cream helmet from every stadium you visit so that you can someday create a series of shelves to display all 30 of them and arrange them every day according to standings. I mean, theoretically.

That's theoretically awesome.

:beerme:

Ghosts of 1990
07-29-2010, 11:15 AM
I'll get there next season....

Degenerate39
07-29-2010, 12:31 PM
I'll be there monday

Cedric
07-29-2010, 12:38 PM
The one thing I don't like about PNC is that the seats are overly angled toward home plate, so that if you're sitting down the lines, it feels like the person next to you is sitting on your lap. I'd recommend getting seats between first and third, even upper deck, rather than go with seats down the lines.

I can agree with this. I was there upper deck behind the first base line and had a bad row of fans behind us. This one guy was talking very loud about how the Pirates fleeced the Reds for Pokey Reese! Serious stuff ha.

Larue hit a grand slam and the four of us just stood up and went nuts. I usually am very reserved at Reds games in different parts.. Not with that guy.

backbencher
07-29-2010, 02:11 PM
I've been to lots of parks, and PNC probably is my favorite.

I'd recommend infield seats on the third-base side if you can get them, as they have a great view of the Pittsburgh skyline. I'd also second the recommendation for spending some real time walking around the park, either before or during the game. It's a pretty city, and the stadium takes advantage.

I disagree with the proposal to avoid the Fort Pitt tunnel. Pittsburgh, the New York Times architecture critic once wrote, has an "entrance." Because it is bounded by hills both north and south, any entrance from those directions will be abrupt -- no city, no city, no city, BANG! Full city! It's a great experience.

The Warhol museum, as others have said, is great. It's been too long since I've been back to recommend any particular restaurants, but you can look both in the immediate neighborhood of the park on the north side of the Allegheny and on the point, the downtown area on the south side of the river. The city used to close the Roberto Clemente bridge to auto traffic before and after games, and it is a much shorter walk than it is across the Ohio river in downtown Cincinnati.

Degenerate39
07-30-2010, 12:25 PM
Does anyone know the pitching match ups for the Pirate series yet?

OnBaseMachine
07-30-2010, 12:27 PM
Does anyone know the pitching match ups for the Pirate series yet?

From ESPN.com

Monday: Travis Wood vs Ross Ohlendorf
Tuesday: Mike Leake vs Paul Maholm
Wednesday: Johnny Cueto vs Jeff Karstens

Roy Tucker
07-30-2010, 12:58 PM

I always wondered about the ice cream they put in those helmets.

I'd buy them for my kids and the ice cream never melted. It could be a blazing hot sun-blasted afternoon game, and the ice cream just sat there like a January day. I swear you could stick your finger in it and it was just luke-cold. Either they put some soy paste in it or made it out of plastic or did some DNA altering or molecular re-engineering or something weird with it. I often cast a Roy skunk eye at it and said "just what *is* that?". I think aliens brought it to Earth.