PDA

View Full Version : Kevin Goldstein on Jonathan Correa, Zack Cozart

OnBaseMachine
07-28-2010, 03:14 PM
Here's the report on Jonathan Correa from Kevin Goldstein:

Jonathan Correa, RHP, Reds (Rookie-level AZL Reds): 6 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 7 K. Yet another interesting young arm in the system; 19-year-old Dominican has 25 Ks over 16 innings in last three starts thanks to 91-93 mph fastball and plus slider.

And a note on Zack Cozart:

•Zach Cozart, SS, Reds (Triple-A Louisville): 3-for-6, 2 R, 2 RBI, K. Attention Reds: This guy is better than Cabrera right now.

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=11600#commentMessage

Very, very interesting. Correa gets more interesting by the day. Good velocity and a plus slider already? Nice. Now it's time to get Mario Soto to work with him on a changeup. He's listed at 6-foot-1, 168 pounds so it appears he has some projection left too.

nemesis
07-28-2010, 03:30 PM
•Zach Cozart, SS, Reds (Triple-A Louisville): 3-for-6, 2 R, 2 RBI, K. Attention Reds: This guy is better than Cabrera right now

Yet their are people in this board who would deal him for Lindstrom straight up...

GIDP
07-28-2010, 03:48 PM
:laugh: Funny that I posted in his thread earlier today basically saying the reason he isnt in the majors is because of Cabrera. No doubt Cozart would put up at least similar batting stats.

lollipopcurve
07-28-2010, 04:51 PM
Funny that I posted in his thread earlier today basically saying the reason he isnt in the majors is because of Cabrera. No doubt Cozart would put up at least similar batting stats.

The year in AAA is good for Cozart. He's got a .324 OBP vs. righties. He's still developing as a hitter.

Kingspoint
07-28-2010, 06:36 PM
Orlando is having a very good July.

His average is at .305 and his defense has been good.

Superdude
07-28-2010, 06:52 PM
Finally get a scouting perspective on Correa. He sounds like a a young Cueto if he adds a tick on his fastball and and develops the changeup. Him and Guillon are gonna be exciting to watch next year.

Cincy10
07-28-2010, 07:07 PM
It will be fun to see how Cozart develops these next few months and offseason. I could see him starting next year or being a solid backup

GOYA
07-28-2010, 07:51 PM
Watching Cozart develop this year has been fun.

Month AVG AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI BB SO SB CS OBP SLG OPS
April .253 83 8 21 6 1 2 9 7 18 3 1 .323 .422 .744
May .235 119 29 28 5 1 4 14 15 22 10 0 .324 .395 .718
June .276 116 12 32 8 1 4 15 2 19 3 1 .300 .466 .766
July .326 86 21 28 6 0 5 15 12 19 7 1 .408 .570 .978

Benihana
07-28-2010, 08:05 PM
Barring a major offseason trade/shakeup, Cozart should get the opportunity to start next year. I'd expect a Stubbs-like performance out of him, only with a little less power:

Great defense, marginal BA/OBP, flashes of power.

We can afford that kind of production vs. defense tradeoff at SS and CF IF everyone else is performing above average. I expect they can do that next year, with the possible exception of Gomes in LF.

nemesis
07-30-2010, 05:27 PM
Barring a major offseason trade/shakeup, Cozart should get the opportunity to start next year. I'd expect a Stubbs-like performance out of him, only with a little less power:

Great defense, marginal BA/OBP, flashes of power.

We can afford that kind of production vs. defense tradeoff at SS and CF IF everyone else is performing above average. I expect they can do that next year, with the possible exception of Gomes in LF.

The thing everyone fails to mention is that Stubbs has been a major upgade at the plate and in the field over Taveras and Patterson the last 2 starting CFer's. Cozart would be a massive upgrade if he puts up Stubbs type numbers over the last two starting SS. Gonzalez and Cabrera who struggle to be around a .650 OPS. Cozart could post a .315/.320 OBP with a .380/.420 SLG% from the get go.

Brutus
07-30-2010, 06:07 PM
Yet their are people in this board who would deal him for Lindstrom straight up...

I'm a Cozart fan, so I don't say this as a backhanded compliment: being better than Cabrera doesn't take much right now.

As far as Lindstrom straight up, even liking Cozart, I don't think that's an absurd deal. If this weren't a board of Reds' fans, that trade would be looked at as reasonable. The overvaluation of a team's own prospects skews the value-for-value perception.

Scrap Irony
07-30-2010, 07:46 PM
If Cozart can be Stubbs Lite (and it looks like he might be able to OPS 725 and play above average D at SS), he'll be a definite upgrade over Cabrera.

Heisey, IMO, will play more next season in both CF and RF, as a possible platoon partnre with both Stubbs and Bruce. (Giving Stubbs a break particularly when he's struggling and spelling Bruce against most southpaws.)

Too, I'd guess Alonso comes up to platoon with Gomes in LF and play 1B back-up to Votto.

That should make the batting lineup:
Phillips 2B
Cozart SS
Votto 1B
Rolen 3B
Gomes/ Alonso LF
Bruce/ Heisey RF
Stubbs/ Heisey CF
Hanigan/ FA C

That's a solid, solid order with few weaknesses and a lot of upside right there and all it should cost is one free agent catcher (*Cough* Victor Martinez *Cough*), unless they decide Mesoraco is ready. (Assuming, again, he isn't dealt for major help.)

Advantages include cost (Cozart is cheaper than Cabrera, Mesoraco is cheaper than Hernandez, everyone else is comparable) and upside (Cozart likely to outperform Cabrera, a platoon of Alonso and Gomes should outperform Gomes alone).

RedsManRick
07-30-2010, 09:50 PM
Doug noted in the Redleg Nation Radio podcast that Alonso has Gomes-like defense in LF as an upside. I don't think he'll be playing LF in the majors anytime soon.

dougdirt
07-30-2010, 10:06 PM
Doug noted in the Redleg Radio podcast that Alonso has Gomes-like defense in LF as an upside. I don't think he'll be playing LF in the majors anytime soon.

Don't be so sure.... I mean the Reds do run Gomes out there and Alonso has a lot more potential in his bat than Gomes does.

Grande Donkey
07-30-2010, 10:11 PM
Don't be so sure.... I mean the Reds do run Gomes out there and Alonso has a lot more potential in his bat than Gomes does.
You think that is something that could happen this year?

dougdirt
07-30-2010, 10:12 PM
You think that is something that could happen this year?

No. I think the Reds are just fine with running Gomes out there.