PDA

View Full Version : Phillies about to land Oswalt pending his aproval.

GIDP
07-29-2010, 12:58 AM
http://www.myfoxhouston.com/dpp/sports/mlb/100728-astros-await-oswalt%27s-ok-on-trade-to-phillies

Houston - Major League baseball sources told FOX 26 Sports the Houston Astros have a deal in place to trade pitcher Roy Oswalt to the Philadelphia Phillies if Oswalt agrees to waive his no-trade clause.

Sources told FOX 26 the Astros have approached Oswalt. He is aware of the deal that is on the table and the club is waiting for his response.

MLB sources told FOX 26 the Astros and Phillies have agreed on the amount of money Houston will take back in the deal and the two teams have agreed on the players Philadelphia will be sending.

Interesting none the less.

Hondo
07-29-2010, 01:05 AM
Makes me sort of Happy the Cards aren't getting him...

GIDP
07-29-2010, 01:09 AM
I couldnt have spelled approval any worse rofl

Griffey012
07-29-2010, 02:17 AM
I couldnt have spelled approval any worse rofl

Its ok, we know you were hanging out with DRH tonight ;)

powersackers
07-29-2010, 02:23 AM
He'll be a Phillie by lunchtime today. Charlie Manuel on MLB radio today made it sound like it could be a three team trade. Could be.... Werth to the Reds?

fewfirstchoice
07-29-2010, 02:23 AM
I love it...ole uncle Walt an the Reds sit on there tails while other teams get better. Its clear Cincy needs a leadoff man, a setup guy for the pen, and a starter. So whats Walt say today the Reds arent going to make a move before the deadline. Cincy is in a ideal situation to make the playoffs and all it would take is a couple more players. But leave it up to Walt to knock the Reds out of the playoff hunt again.

I love the Reds but its painful to watch this front office work its magic. Now if they end up amking a good move or 2 just ignore this comment. But for right now Walt hasnt done is job for this team to make the playoffs.

sabometrics
07-29-2010, 02:42 AM
I love it...ole uncle Walt an the Reds sit on there tails while other teams get better. Its clear Cincy needs a leadoff man, a setup guy for the pen, and a starter. So whats Walt say today the Reds arent going to make a move before the deadline. Cincy is in a ideal situation to make the playoffs and all it would take is a couple more players. But leave it up to Walt to knock the Reds out of the playoff hunt again.

I love the Reds but its painful to watch this front office work its magic. Now if they end up amking a good move or 2 just ignore this comment. But for right now Walt hasnt done is job for this team to make the playoffs.

Another setup man? The bullpen took a few months to come together, but it is a big strength right now. Rhodes is having an all-star year. Masset has been his old shutdown self since June started. Ondrusek has been top notch since he came back up, I think last I saw he was up to like 15 scoreless IP. The pen as a whole has a sub-1.00 ERA for July and they weren't horrible in May/June either. Who do we get to upgrade in the pen enough to make the trade worth it?

The starting pitching has been great lately too. Not getting Oswalt is not going to cripple us. There's zero reason to upgrade in the rotation now that Lee has been off the table.

Kingspoint
07-29-2010, 04:32 AM
Philadelphia was already the most dangerous team to face in the playoffs without Oswalt.

With Oswalt, they could etch their names on the 2010 World Series Trophy.

I sure hope Cincinnati could swoop in and grab Oswalt, just so Philly doesn't get him.

After this Atlanta series, I'm going to be rooting for Atlanta, the Giants, and the Padres for the rest of the season, so that Philadelphia doesn't reach the playoffs.

Kingspoint
07-29-2010, 04:38 AM

#1. Walt is not sitting on his tail.

#2. The REDS are 3-0-1 in series since the All-Star break.

#3. The REDS have climbed back into First Place in the NL Central.

#4. Russ Springer is pitching incredibly great in Louisville.

#5. The entire AAA roster in Louisville is OPS-ing 1.000 in July. (slight exageration, but most of them are)

#6. Left-handed hitting Chris Dickerson's rehab is doing great and could force the team to replace Nix as the Left-handed hitting Outfielder off the bench.

#7. September call-ups are going to be really good.

#8. Homer Bailey gets his 2nd rehab start this Saturday.

#9. Ryan Hanigan is back.

#10. Cabrera is hitting .300+ in July and Brandon Phillips looks to be out of his slump and Rolen didn't have to go on the DL.

Kingspoint
07-29-2010, 04:38 AM
Oh....and Travis Wood is good.

Jordan Smith has been a great addition.

Logan Ondrusek has been the best relief pitcher in baseball lately.

Cordero has been outstanding in July.

Hondo
07-29-2010, 07:55 AM
Oh....and Travis Wood is good.

Jordan Smith has been a great addition.

Logan Ondrusek has been the best relief pitcher in baseball lately.

Cordero has been outstanding in July.

And "Salt" and "Inception" are great Movies out too so there!

markymark69
07-29-2010, 08:37 AM

I'm the first one to advocate a trade if it helps your team. With Lee and Haren off the table - there isn't much out there that would significantly improve the ball club. I'm in the camp that Oswalt would help, but I know it's unrealistic that a trade like that will happen.

I would like to see another bat, but outside of maybe Corey Hart and Jayson Werth - the same holds true. The Reds don't want Adam Dunn back and I'm not sure the other two are really available.

Let's not forget - its takes another team to make a trade. They have want what your offering. I think Walt is being prudent in not wanting to trade certain prospects.

I still am of the belief that he will get something done. After all, who saw the Griffey trade coming two years ago?

GIDP
07-29-2010, 08:55 AM
Names being tossed around are JA Happ, and Vance Worley apparently.

Happ is a LH Sam Lecure

I really have no comparisons for Worley right now.

bounty37h
07-29-2010, 09:24 AM

Did you really read what he said, he said he wouldnt make a move if there wasnt anything to make, and right now there havent been any moves to make that are worth it for the team. The front office is what as this team built well overall and in this spot in the first place.

TheBigLebowski
07-29-2010, 09:30 AM
Jon Heyman of SI.com hears that the Phillies were discussing sending left-hander J.A. Happ, right-hander Vance Worley and two pitching prospects to the Astros for Roy Oswalt.

That is a WEAK package. For what it appears Oswalt will go for and for what Haren did go for, I almost wish we'd have swooped in, even though SP is not a tremendous need for this club.

If that package turns out to be legit, I'm not sure who got fleeced worse - the Phils or DBags.

Magdal
07-29-2010, 09:34 AM
Let's simplify this...if the Phils get Oswalt it is all over. If the Reds get him, it's all over...if the Cards get him, it's all over.

GIDP
07-29-2010, 09:48 AM
Let's simplify this...if the Phils get Oswalt it is all over. If the Reds get him, it's all over...if the Cards get him, it's all over.

Reds had the lowest ERA in the NL in July and has been trending down all season from basically last in April to first now in July.

I dont know if its going to last but I look at Wood, who is looking like a 2008 Cliff Lee with a lesser GB%, Cueto who can be as good as anyone and is 15th in ERA this year, and a cast of Arroyo who eats innings with the best of them, and Leake who has been good all year other than a start herr and there as of late. q

GIDP
07-29-2010, 09:53 AM
Rosenthal is saying the deal is only waiting Oswalts approval now.

Heyman has said that the Astros are eating a lot of the money Oswalt is owed.

Should be interesting to see who the Astros get. Market seems to be awful this year.

scott91575
07-29-2010, 09:53 AM

Well crap, it's over. Good thing football season is just around the corner.

Girevik
07-29-2010, 09:54 AM
The big question is if the Phils have to pick up the option for the 3rd year. If not, then it could be conceivable that the Reds might have jumped in, but it would mean they'd have to let Bronson walk after this year. If they have to carry him in 2012, then there is no way the Reds could have taken him on.

GIDP
07-29-2010, 09:58 AM
There was a 3rd team involved in a 3 way trade earlier according to rumors. I wouldnt be surprised if it was the Reds and it involving Werth. Victorino getting hurt probably killed anything like that if it were to happen.

Red in Atl
07-29-2010, 10:05 AM

You are a fool. Sometimes Cincy is so screwed from a fan basis. I've watched and followed this team for 35 years through many ups and downs. Walt has built a team in barely 2 years that is playing great baseball and has a serious future, granted with some help from drafts of the past, and it's still not good enough for you?:thumbdown

If you haven't ever noticed, we aren't the Yankees or Red Sox or Cubs or Dodgers who have almost unlimited funds to throw around. Walt has done an amazing job compared to the management of the Linder years and the last 5 or 6 Castellini years.

Please do yourself a favor and stop watching the Reds, because they will never be what you think they should be.

BTW for everyone, what is so important about leadoff? JHJ has a .308 OBP and is hitting .252 for the Padres. What place are they in again?

GIDP
07-29-2010, 10:08 AM
If Joey votto would hit lead off he would have more chances to drive himself than he would if he continued to bat 3rd with a sub .300 OBP lead off.

I made that stat up but I wouldnt be surprised if it wouldnt at least be some what comparable considering the increased PA Votto would see.

Red in Atl
07-29-2010, 10:09 AM
Well crap, it's over. Good thing football season is just around the corner.

WHO DEY!!!

CySeymour
07-29-2010, 10:12 AM
Its clear Cincy needs a leadoff man,

Ok, fine. But WHO would you like Walt to get?

GIDP
07-29-2010, 10:21 AM
Ok, fine. But WHO would you like Walt to get?

I think moving Bruce to 2nd in the order against RH pitching would fix a lot of problems for this team in that area. Continue to hit Phillips lead off. He isnt that bad of an option if hes playing like the Phillips we all know he can be. ie going with the pitches, and just let the power come naturally instead of trying to create it.

scott91575
07-29-2010, 10:25 AM
I think moving Bruce to 2nd in the order against RH pitching would fix a lot of problems for this team in that area. Continue to hit Phillips lead off. He isnt that bad of an option if hes playing like the Phillips we all know he can be. ie going with the pitches, and just let the power come naturally instead of trying to create it.

Well, that isn't exactly Walt getting someone.

If we are going there (probably not the best idea in a thread about an Oswalt trade), I personally I would like to see Dickerson at the lead off and Stubbs getting the guys Gatorade.

GIDP
07-29-2010, 10:28 AM
Only thing Dickerson does better than Stubbs is walk more. Everything else is either a wash or in the favor of Stubbs. I like Dickerson, he should play against RH pitching instead of Gomes, but the guy isn't Jesus floating on water. Not to mention Stubbs has hit .279/.335/.457 out of the 7 hole this season. Call me crazy but that's excellent production for a CF with Stubbs glove.

scott91575
07-29-2010, 11:19 AM
Only thing Dickerson does better than Stubbs is walk more. Everything else is either a wash or in the favor of Stubbs. I like Dickerson, he should play against RH pitching instead of Gomes, but the guy isn't Jesus floating on water. Not to mention Stubbs has hit .279/.335/.457 out of the 7 hole this season. Call me crazy but that's excellent production for a CF with Stubbs glove.

Just look at the last two months for Stubbs. Average just over .230, OBP below .300, and OPS well below .700. Those are "here, have a bus ticket to AAA" type numbers. He had a hot May when he was moved to the 7 hole (which included high BABIP....aka luck). Since then it doesn't matter where he bats, he has been terrible. Plus Dickerson's fielding numbers in Centerfield are better than Stubbs (arm is similar). Those could level out some since Dickerson only has 40 games in CF, but Stubbs is not far superior to Dickerson if superior at all. I never understood what people saw in Stubbs glove other than his speed. He gets lost on some fly balls, gets terrible jumps, and has made some bonehead plays. His numbers show that. He is above average, but far from great.

GIDP
07-29-2010, 11:31 AM
Stubbs BABIP for May wasnt all that high for a guy with his speed. April and July I would consider low as well. He didnt hit great in June though I'll agree with you there.
Id love to hear your thought on Jonny Gomes then.

GIDP
07-29-2010, 11:32 AM
Oh also apparently the Phillies are getting as much as 12 million from the astros... This is starting to look like a horrible deal for the Astros.

scott91575
07-29-2010, 11:33 AM

Oh, I don't like him either. That is the guy I really want replaced. I would give up a fair amount for Corey Hart.

BTW...don't get me wrong, I am not in love with Dickerson. Yet I think they should give him a shot at the top of the lineup.

GIDP
07-29-2010, 11:36 AM
Oh, I don't like him either. That is the guy I really want replaced. I would give up a fair amount for Corey Hart.

BTW...don't get me wrong, I am not in love with Dickerson. Yet I think they should give him a shot at the top of the lineup.

I edited my post a little and added to it just to make it a little more clear my stance on stubbs.

I do disagree with you a lot about Stubbs D though. I think hes the best we have had for a while out there.

GIDP
07-29-2010, 11:44 AM
http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=single001jon

Jonathan Singleton supposedly in the deal as well. 18 year old first baseman. 2009 8th round pick.

GIDP
07-29-2010, 11:45 AM
Rosenthal is saying its less than 12 million in the deal, and that Singleton isnt in it.

Oh well rofl.

brm7675
07-29-2010, 11:46 AM

Wow, nothing you say is true....

brm7675
07-29-2010, 11:47 AM
Philadelphia was already the most dangerous team to face in the playoffs without Oswalt.

With Oswalt, they could etch their names on the 2010 World Series Trophy.

I sure hope Cincinnati could swoop in and grab Oswalt, just so Philly doesn't get him.

After this Atlanta series, I'm going to be rooting for Atlanta, the Giants, and the Padres for the rest of the season, so that Philadelphia doesn't reach the playoffs.

If you don't make the playoffs how are they dangerous?

scott91575
07-29-2010, 11:48 AM
Stubbs BABIP for May wasnt all that high for a guy with his speed. April and July I would consider low as well. He didnt hit great in June though I'll agree with you there.

His line drive rate is around 15%. A guy with that line drive rate should have a lower BABIP. His speed might cancel out some of that, but that line drive rate is not good. His strike out rate is also atrocious. He is just not a good hitter. He doesn't make contact at a good rate, and when he does he has a low rate of line drives.

brm7675
07-29-2010, 11:52 AM

nice try, your wrong, but nice try.

GIDP
07-29-2010, 11:54 AM
His line drive rate is around 15%. A guy with that line drive rate should have a lower BABIP. His speed might cancel out some of that, but that line drive rate is not good. His strike out rate is also atrocious. He is just not a good hitter. He doesn't make contact at a good rate, and when he does he has a low rate of line drives.

His strike out rate has no effect on his BABIP though, although I'm sure you know that because you dont seem to be dumb.

I think he has been more unlucky than you, but I dont think we are all that far off on agreeing here. I think hes more a .250ish hitter then the .230 guy we have seen for most of the year.

scott91575
07-29-2010, 12:14 PM
His strike out rate has no effect on his BABIP though, although I'm sure you know that because you dont seem to be dumb.

I think he has been more unlucky than you, but I dont think we are all that far off on agreeing here. I think hes more a .250ish hitter then the .230 guy we have seen for most of the year.

I was adding in strikeouts as another example of his poor hitting, not that it has an effect on his BABIP.

Once again, don't get me wrong. I am not a proponent of shipping him off to another team. Many of Stubbs problems can be corrected. If he can simply turn 1/3 of those strikeouts into ground balls it would be a huge improvement, and honestly, that is not a lot to ask at his K rate. His line drive rate could also improve some over time. I could actually see him being at .270 BA, .800 OPS, 40+ stolen bases, and a plus fielder. In other words, a good starter. Yet I don't see him doing those things in the next two months. In the mean time this team needs a guy who can get on base at the top of the line up, and without some miraculous trade I would give Dickerson a shot there.

GIDP
07-29-2010, 12:24 PM
Fair enough, I think hes a complete mixture of May and June. Add those 2 months together and I think thats exactly the type of player stubbs is likely to be given his current skill set. That would give him a .328 BABIP a .430 slugging, and a .316 OBP. Total .746 OPS. Agree?

RedsFanInBama
07-29-2010, 12:29 PM
Walt may have said that he doubts we'll see a move, but that doesn't mean he isn't working to try and make one happen.

GIDP
07-29-2010, 01:35 PM
It appears that Oswalt is going to ok the deal after the Phillies added some money to his buy out.

texasdave
07-29-2010, 01:42 PM
This is not good news for Reds' fans.

bshall2105
07-29-2010, 01:49 PM
This is not good news for Reds' fans.

It's better than him going to STL.

texasdave
07-29-2010, 01:58 PM
My daddy once told me that the lesser of two evils is still evil.

Hondo
07-29-2010, 02:28 PM
This is A LOT better than him going to St. Louis... Philly may not even make the playoffs...

BurgervilleBuck
07-29-2010, 03:03 PM
I wonder if the change in venue will rejuvenate Oswalt so that we see the return of the Roy of Old. Eh, we'll see.

krm1580
07-29-2010, 03:05 PM
I give the Phillies credit for doing what it takes to win, but I would be pretty pissed if I was one of their fans for how badly they bungled things with Halladay & Lee.

They could have had Halladay and Lee for the playoffs and World Series last year and the full season this year for 7 prospect and JA Happ

In the end will trade 11 prospect and JA Happ for 3 months of Cliff Lee, 3 months of Roy Oswalt, 3 garbage prospects and 4 Years of Halladay AFTER they lost the World Series.

texasdave
07-29-2010, 03:11 PM
This is A LOT better than him going to St. Louis... Philly may not even make the playoffs...

Right now the Phillies are one game behind the Reds. If this trade pushes them in front of Cincinnati, then the Reds have to win the division or go home. This is not good news for Reds' fans.

Vottomatic
07-29-2010, 04:15 PM
Phillies are overrated. So is their 8 game winning streak. :D

scott91575
07-29-2010, 04:38 PM
Does anyone know who all the prospects are? If Happ is the headliner, wow, that is the best the Astros could do while giving away millions?

texasdave
07-29-2010, 04:52 PM
Phillies are overrated. So is their 8 game winning streak. :D

Exactly. They have only averaged 92.5 wins and been to the World Series the past two seasons. Why would the Reds be worried about a team like that?

Hondo
07-29-2010, 06:17 PM
And the Astros are kicking in 11 Million. I would have liked the Reds to pay 12 million for Roy Oswalt the rest of this year and all of next year if Walt could have swung a deal...

Girevik
07-29-2010, 07:23 PM
Your assuming Oswalt would have dropped his demand to get this 3rd year picked up to come to the Reds. From what I heard the Reds were low on his list and the only way he'd come was to get his full 3rd year.